Sign in to follow this  
Feint

Diving Under Water

What's going on with this? :-)

Really looking forward to creating missions with some underwater action.

Got any updates for us man? Hope the A3 announcement hasn't put you off, I guarantee your mod will blow A3 out of the water (pun intended).

Hopefully IceBreaker will start making underwater maps now! :D

Well, the way I see it, if Arma3 comes out with the ability to swim under water, it probably still won't have all of the scuba stuff incorporated that I've created such as oxygen toxicity, nitrogen loading, depth effects, etc. Prove me wrong, BIS! :)

And in any event, the sooner I release something, the more time the community will have to improve upon my work and the higher the expectations will be for Arma3's underwater diving functionality, right?

I think you are correct.

Well, the way I see it, if Arma3 comes out with the ability to swim under water, it probably still won't have all of the scuba stuff incorporated that I've created such as oxygen toxicity, nitrogen loading, depth effects, etc.

You're probably right; with the way that the developers are going at the moment, they're going to try to appeal to a mainstream audience, not just a niche simulation market, such as SCUBA simmers, if there is such a thing.

That could be an issue, as a matter of fact it WILL be an issue which means things will be dumbed down for more people. I don't get that, if you want a pretty decent military sim, you get arma, if you want unrealistic/ludacris warfare, there's plenty of games out there for you, no need to specify.

I hope this underwater mod comes out, it's a part of military operations not yet explored much in arma, since we already have massive ground + air war equipment, as well as some limited naval stuff, but i definitely want to try this out, so i wish you the best of luck finishing it : )

has this been released or is it still in the making

The mod has not been released. Although it has been quiet on the news front, that's no reason to believe that it not still in the making. Feint is probably busy with other things I would imagine.

Hey all,

Sorry for the delay in any progress on this. Basically I got slammed with work. I'm a photographer responsible for the publications of a large healthcare company. We had several publications come due one right after the other and I had to shoot the photos for all of them. Long days, nights and weekends later, most of this stuff has been put to bed. BTW, if you are intersted, you can see some of those photos at www.flickr.com/jonhillenbrand.

More recently, my home computer had some issues which required the reinstallation of Windows. I'm in the process of reinstalling games right now, one of which is Arma2/OA along with all of the tools. Being tired at the end of a long day of shooting and/or editing, the last thing I want to do is work on the computer. So hence, the delay.

Rumor control: No, I'm not working with BIS on Arma3. The BIS people are up here (hold your hand way up high above your head, bend your fingers forward), and I'm more around here (place hand near belt or maybe knees).

No I've not abandoned the project.

As for the other reasons for the delay, I got a little frustrated and am now over it and want to finish this.

There are a few things left to do, but one or two of my plans will have to be scratched as I'm just don't have the time to learn how to do them. So my new and improved plan is to fix a few things which bother me and then give the community something for waiting so long and patiently. I can't promise that it will be a super polished release that works on every computer on the planet, and it might have problems playing well with other mods, but that's why you smartypants in the community will have your keyboards at the ready...to fix things I don't know how to fix and add cool features that I don't know how to add. I'll keep the whole thing open source so you can tinker, except for the audio files which I purchased a license to use. Those you can't reuse legally. But the coding was offered to me free from others, and I continue that tradition.

So please continue to wait a little longer for me to get situated and to get some time to work on this. And as always, thanks for your patience.

Edited by Feint

Thanks for the update! I've been there with my SP campaign that took me more than forever to finally release last April. Don't fret over our impatience, we all understand that this is just a hobby and you gotta do other things to bring in the bread and butter.

But now that thats all taken care off back to work! :whatsthat::whip:

lol, thanks man

No no, all those BIS people had to start "place hand near belt or maybe knees" ..... so dont put yourself down.

Love your work. Look forward to it whenever it comes out.

Nice photos btw, but Ed's shorts are freakin me out ;)

The gala images with the fireworks were pretty damn awesome. :)

Looking forward to the addon Feint. Keep up the good work, both professionally and with Arma.

3Pg4Kw0ujFA

Well, after some time away I've started working on a few details. I revised the diving computer and added and removed some features. It now times your dives, displays ambient water pressure, displays depth and records your maximum depth reached, indicates a dive ceiling where you need to wait to decompress (if needed), and it has oxygen toxicity bar graphs and nitrogen loading bar graphs. If you surface, the dive timer stops and restarts when to resume diving. Cylinder pressure is measured and Dive Time Remaining is displayed (which changes according to depth). The partial pressure of O2 and N2 are displayed and if you use a real world NOAA dive chart, it should be tell you how long you can dive at certain depths.

So what does all of that mean? Well, you can make this as complicated or as easy as you want. If you want to learn how to scuba dive for real, this mod could help you get the basic concepts down. I've also included things like "unlimited air" and "arcade mode" which allow you to experience the sensation of these variables but without dying by doing something ill-advised like diving really deep and surfacing quickly.

I've also created a D.E.A.D. which is a Diver Emergency Ascent Device which is something I discovered in my research. You basically pull a cord and the live vest you are wearing inflates bringing you to the surface quickly. Of course, if you have reached a compression depth where you need to wait at 5 meters before surfacing, using the D.E.A.D. will cause you to get decompression sickness (DCS) also known as the bends. I still need to work on the speed of the ascent of this device, but that should be relatively easy to figure out.

Now that looks tense!.. Also imagine a shark in the way :S

The MP5 is part of a weapons mod created by ADO. That mod is required for a larger mod which includes the scuba unit created by ADO available on armaholic. Those two mods aren't affiliated with what I'm working on. I'm just using them because they look cool and more appropriate than a regular USMC corpman or something.

Edited by Feint

Can't wait till the mission authors get their hands on this. Infiltrating an underwater base would be cool. Could be an underwater cave that surfaces into some underground caves or a complex.

Well, after some time away, I figured I'd start up working on this again and push to get it released as soon as possible.

Here are some videos I made and recently posted on Armaholic. It's best to watch these on YouTube at full resolution to see some of the smaller details of the Dive Computer.

This first one shows the basic setup in the mission editor.

6wE3mAS5Mnw

This second video shows a mission I'm working on to demonstrate locking out of the Delta IV made by Gnat. I've not altered his addons in any way. I've simply made a script which opens animated doors on his original model and which uses attachTo to move the diver into position to lock out.

XU7PN4Q9vt8

UPDATE------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This new video shows some new things I've added recently such as a mock up of a Dry Deck Shelter which one can launch vehicles from such as the Zodiac (or SDV if anyone makes one).

The video also shows an update to the locking out which now includes locking out of other Gnat subs such as the Los Angeles class sub and the Akula. I've slightly changed the lockout procedure from the previous video to make it more friendly to people who don't like to read the readme.txt (or who don't read English).

Lastly, I demonstrate the Diver Emergency Ascent Device mentioned a few posts above this one. It's basically a life vest used by Spec Ops teams during non-deco dives that they can use to quickly ascend to the surface in the case of an emergency.

nV3Q4ZxA2Vs

Edited by Feint