Sign in to follow this  
Feint

Diving Under Water

A little off topic, but thanks Defunkt for pointing out that the island had an oil rig. I never would have tried the island out if you didn't mention it. Should go nicely with the diving addon.

Back OT- Feint, I have been reading all of the posts, but I'm not sure if I came up with the answer I'm looking into to. How complex is it for the novice mission maker to implement these features into their missions? Is it just a drop on the editor type thing or is it complex with multiple triggers and init strings?

Just thought that would be a good question to start off the day, lol. Love the work, keep it up.

FYI, unfortunately the USEC oil rig doesn't work for Arma2 at the moment straight from the editor as it's not listed in the editor. But you might be able to create it if you know the 4 or 5 classnames used for it (it's in 4 or 5 separate pieces as I recall).

@Raptor 6, one of my intentions has been to keep this extremely simple for the end user but also give mission makers options. So for the install, you just add the @UNDERWATER_DIVING folder and userconfig folder to your Arma2 directory. Then, take a look at the userconfig and change any of the settings you want or leave everything as is (this might be changing, but this is how it functions for now). Then in the editor, place any unit on land or sea. Then place the UNDERWATER DIVING MODULE into the editor and sync it with the unit you just placed. Hit preview and you're ready to go.

One of the more interesting mods coming out. I was wondering if you drew any inspiration from Realtime Immersives underwater project?

kodNKq0pWx4

Thanks Feint for the quick response. I'm sure many players will love the simplicity of putting it in the missions while increasing the complexity of gameplay for realism's sake.

Yeah, I mentioned that in the other forum thread. That new simulation uses the Cry Engine 3 and so it haas a lot of things that are difficult to simulate in Arma2, but some of which can be faked. It might be possible to simulate currents, but not as easily as cryengine's realtime editor.

Anyway, I love that video and what Real Time Simulations is doing.

I notice that the audio when diving sounds similar to the surface swimming sounds -any chance to use that muffled, pressurized sound when diving?

Ideally, yes. For now, I have the breathing sound in the game. But I'm not sure how to add a sound to the game so that only the player hears it. I'm open to ideas. I could try to change the sound that is played while swimming and underwater, but I don't know how. And, again, that "underwater ambience" would be heard by other players as you got closer. Single player, maybe that wouldn't matter. Multiplayer though, if we can get that working, it would matter.

Mate finally looked at this thread and I must say it looks really impressive..... Good luck with this project I shall keep an eye on it... \m/

This thread has gone strangely quite... are you working with BIS? haha. hope the mod is going well.

Sorry for the lack of updates. Had the engine blow on my car on my way back from a photo shoot. So I've been dealing with that and trying to buy a new car. Plus I've been slammed at work lately. So no progress, unfortunately.

Quick Update: No real updates. Working on creating the dialogs for the diving computer myself. I also have to finish up the closed circuit system. Then I'd like to make at least one or two more missions before releasing.

looks very promissing, what a great mod idea... especially for a rl-diver

thanks for all your hard work on this!

Mana Island (Fiji) has an oilrig: PIC

And Rocket/USEC released one for ArmA1 which probably works.

3-oil_rig_01.jpg

Good point. I can just imagine the mission now... Neutralisation & hostage rescue in the Niger Delta - PMCs are called in by major oil company to secure an oil rig of theirs that has been captured by local rebels angry at the exploitation of "their" resources (MEND). Players infiltrate AO via underwater (using delivery vehicles?) before adopting CQB to secure oil rig. However after clearing the platform they discover that intel was old, the hostages were removed to a secure location the night before. Next mission involves attacking rebel base deep inside the river delta (RIBs charging up mangrove swamps? fast roping from helos?). What d'you think?

This thread has gone strangely quite... are you working with BIS? haha. hope the mod is going well.

shhh.

anybody busy.. swimming in Arma2 ;-)

@Feint - haha, it's okay man. I was just joking because of the "sub" finding in a picture from the hackers. The lack of posting was just a good opportunity to rib ya.

Hey everyone. Sorry for the recent lack of updates. Blew the engine on my car on the way back from a photo shoot. So I've spent the last few weeks trying to secure a new vehicle while balancing a super busy shoot schedule (I'm a photographer by trade). So I haven't had any time to work on the Underwater Diving module since my last update.

Good news is, I bought a new 2011 WRX which is awesomely fast. Once I settle down with that, I'll redouble my efforts at this module and release it so you guys and gals can have fun diving.

Nice car! :)

Take your time working on it. You've come a long way so far.

I'm not sure if it's listed somewhere, but what do you have left to do?

Abs

Off the top of my head, here's what's left for 1.0

-Make a closed circuit version of everything

-Make/finish instructional missions

-Make dialogs for dive computer modes (for open) and depth gauge/o2 gauge (for closed) -- this will take time as I have no experience with making them

Yeah, I saw that also over at Armaholic, and wondered if this "Diving Under Water" function/addon will even be released for A2 now? Or will we have to wait until Summer of 2012?

Keeping fingers crossed its just still being held up due to scripting and tweaking and not A3.

Sorry for the delay everyone. I'll be working on this addon this weekend and hope to make some real progress. Don't worry about Arma3. That's a long way off.

Don't worry about Arma3. That's a long way off.

Yes, exactly !

Good to hear Feint.

Glad to hear you aren't dropping the project just because it will be in A3 eventually :)

Yeah, I saw that also over at Armaholic, and wondered if this "Diving Under Water" function/addon will even be released for A2 now? Or will we have to wait until Summer of 2012?

Keeping fingers crossed its just still being held up due to scripting and tweaking and not A3.

Nice...

FPDR

If we were prohbited from releasing addons due to content being similar in a future game from BI then the community would probably be much much smaller and less enthusiastic at modding things.

Well, the way I see it, if Arma3 comes out with the ability to swim under water, it probably still won't have all of the scuba stuff incorporated that I've created such as oxygen toxicity, nitrogen loading, depth effects, etc. Prove me wrong, BIS! :)

And in any event, the sooner I release something, the more time the community will have to improve upon my work and the higher the expectations will be for Arma3's underwater diving functionality, right?