Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Introducing Take On Helicopters by Bohemia Interactive

Like I said in the other thread, this is superb stuff. I was close to getting bored with your stuff, BI, but you´ve got my attention back alright. A proper civilian helo sim is something that´s been missing from the market for years, and combined with (possibly) a business sim aspect, a solid flight model, and the expandeabillity and modeabillity we know from your OFP/Arma series games, this will be the next best thing since sliced bread.

All thumbs up for this, me and my friends will be watching this space really closely in the future.

Finally something to draw my attention away from Red River :D

You know, its just 1 day away from April fools,.. I smell a rat! lol

This all sounds fishy, though if im wrong then im the fool!

It's probably an attempt at what the PR community did, trick the fanbase into thinking the upcoming PR Vietnam was an april fools joke, when it wasn't, they just chose to announce it on April fools day.

Which they successfuly pulled off. :p

Sounds good. I like flight games/sims. But I take it this game will need a new PC as well? haha :)

DID SOMEONE SAY PiPRENDERTOTEXTURE :D

yeah baby :D

the heli-stuff sounds good. lets wait for more movies to look at it.

but i will buy it for shure ;)

For a "civilian" sim like this, I hope it will be full-on realism at least on the flight dynamics side (DCS Black Shark level) and with realistic ATC, weather and navigation. Without full detail avionics (button/switch mashing) however I'm not sure how interesting it will be. It also sounds a bit odd that this would be left out, as I dont think the full detail systems of a civilian helicopter would be that hard to implement as there's no weapon systems to worry about.

I'd say a clickable cockpit is definately the absolute minimum requirement for today's flightsim standard though. (IL2COD, DCS series, Combat Helo, Jet Thunder, etc. all have it, and those are combat sims)

That's what I was thinking as well.

For a civilian sim this would be the absolute minimum. Just wondering what extra they can provide over fsx + addons. But it's probably too soon to judge. We'll have to wait and see what they come up with...

I think the popularity of the baf merlin mission is proof of how enjoyable non combat heli ops can be, throw in the wide range of variety in civvie helicopter operations (from airborne photography, freight, passenger, tour to the sort of job my mate does -lidar imaging and obs.) and a more dynamic flight model and you're golden: the rv engine has the distinct advantage of being able to make a living world fairly easily

This will also open up the great possibility of a Vbs style 'decision training' system, another revenue stream

While we can only hope elements r&d'ed on this will be fed into arma or the possible threequel, we shall see what unfolds.

I think the popularity of the baf merlin mission is proof of how enjoyable non combat heli ops can be, throw in the wide range of variety in civvie helicopter operations (from airborne photography, freight, passenger, tour to the sort of job my mate does -lidar imaging and obs.) and a more dynamic flight model and you're golden: the rv engine has the distinct advantage of being able to make a living world fairly easily

This will also open up the great possibility of a Vbs style 'decision training' system, another revenue stream

While we can only hope elements r&d'ed on this will be fed into arma or the possible threequel, we shall see what unfolds.

What about this kind of missions?

88984_helicopter-fukushima.jpg

BI like realistic games, so have they balls to make scenarios like what happen in Japan these days. I guess it's now too sensitive topic.

LOVED flying helos in Arma2, specifically OA but could spend hours ferrying ppl around and thats it, excited x1000

Take on helicopters/

take helicopters on

:confused:

(EDIT: embed failed... :( )

Edited by BigMorgan

LOVED flying helos in Arma2, specifically OA but could spend hours ferrying ppl around and thats it, excited x1000

You also tend to be getting shot at in ArmA 2 though.

I was wondering if ToH going to support standard World Terrain Data, much like Flight Simulator, or FlightGear or Xplane, as a way to add more airports or going to be the standard ArmA Editor Moding way in regards of terrain building?

Thats not a new game, thats just ArmA II with Helicopter addons and an island with no forests so you can play it with maximum viewdistance. :rolleyes:

Thats not a new game, thats just ArmA II with Helicopter addons and an island with no forests so you can play it with maximum viewdistance. :rolleyes:

You wanna bet?

There is always one...

I bet that making a heli-sim using the VR2 engine is a better idea than using DIRT for a military shooter.

You wanna bet?

So... view distance will be limited to 10km? :confused:

Or realistically with normal-people hardware (i.e. not CEO of a really awesome company ;) ), 3-5km? :o

So... view distance will be limited to 10km?

It was never a case so idk what are you talking about xD

Only the option slider doesn't allow you more than 10k...

Wow looks like the team in charge of the BAF DLC is behind this too. I bet this game will be awesome.

Excellent Interview.

Gonna filter out the info in there and add that to my questions thread later.

Any news about bad and extreme weather -hard driving rain, heavy snow etc...?

So... view distance will be limited to 10km? :confused:

What makes you think that ? In ArmA it's already possible to have a 15k view distance.

Well, I got it cranked up to 50k once ;] Though it was rather dramatic experience - with the PC freezed at the end.