Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA release candidate build 78473

Animation changes opinions  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Animation changes opinions

• Like the animation changes?
    • Dislike the animation changes? (post which, why please)

You guys should try it yourself from playing, rather than only watching a video

or even only looking at the animation ingame - you need to play the game.

My vote is for Gameplay over Visuals.

I've tired it ingame, been playing with it for over a day now, and I can say I still don't like it. Far too unnaturally fast-looking, completely breaks immersion for me in that regard. I mean, try the fast walking-forward-with-a-rifle animation (rather than double-tapping Shift, just go into your ironsights). It just looks ridiculous in this state.

I'm of the opinion that if the transitions are to be made faster then new animations should be created for them to look natural, as don't forget this game has a 1st and 3rd-person view. I am aware, however, of the rather unnecessary workload that would be, but in that case I'd prefer the animations play at the speed they were recorded/created for.

I don't find it helps gameplay that much, either...

Not a fan of the new animation speed at all.

The only one I'd personally keep is the Rifle to Pistol transition.

There's also this bug that arises because of the changes to the animation speeds:

hgeuv0jfLKM

They look like old films where to make the cars look faster they speed up the film which always looks fake. Maybe you could get away with 5-10% but no more than that. They do need speeding up but it has to be done correctly.

I agree, these animations are way too fast! So I dislike them (and voted accordingly)!

The only animation that I think that could be faster would be grenade throwing. This one really needs to be faster (it's "cumbersomely" slow to throw a grenade in ArmA), but for the rest absolutelly NOT!

I have to support the general notion: anims are too fast. Something between the old and new values would be best.

I have to support the general notion: anims are too fast. Something between the old and new values would be best.

Agreed!

The only anims I want faster is rifle-to-pistol and grenadethrow, the rest is good and I dont want them changed.

The only anims I want faster is rifle-to-pistol and grenadethrow, the rest is good and I dont want them changed.

The vanilla prone to kneel is also irritatingly slow and noisy to boot. Sometimes I walk and press kneel just to do it faster or silently.

when you say animation changes I though it was NEW animations, and I was like, OH YEAH! but then... I saw a video of this "new" animations... this is only speed up animation, and... I dont like them, because, its just that, speed up animation, like pressing the X4 button in SP mode... thats not cool! Please dont change the speed!

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

There's also this bug that arises because of the changes to the animation speeds:

wow! what is that? NO, no, no, no no...

about the Warning: sry, I knew already that rule not to quote videos, but I forgot it completely :s

Edited by SpetS15

with out having played the RC, i can say please do not modify the anim speeds. as others have mentioned, it makes the game look... wonky

if anything some default anims need to be slowed down. for example turning wile prone and reloading.

now before you all flame me for that, lets be honest. you cant reload that fast in a stress situation

the old reload speeds were good for arma 1 and OFP were you could not move. it compromised between vulnerability and reality (you can move when you need too)

now, its just ridiculous that i can reload an m240 wile sprinting in a second or two.

I wont vote since I didn't test the RC, but from the videos and description it looks & sounds completely wrong. There are some animations like the grenade throwing and pistol/rifle change that feel sluggish in game, but even for those just speeding them up is not going to work. If they are going to be fixed then the animations should be re-captured with a real person doing them faster. If that's not possible then leave it as it is, just speeding the animations up for gameplay's sake makes it look bad and is against what the game is supposed to be about.

now, its just ridiculous that i can reload an m240 wile sprinting in a second or two.

True, I'd much rather see this fixed (maybe just much slower reloading if you're moving).

with out having played the RC, i can say please do not modify the anim speeds. as others have mentioned, it makes the game look... wonky

if anything some default anims need to be slowed down. for example turning wile prone and reloading.

now before you all flame me for that, lets be honest. you cant reload that fast in a stress situation

the old reload speeds were good for arma 1 and OFP were you could not move. it compromised between vulnerability and reality (you can move when you need too)

This.

Animations and movement needs to have a certain 'rythm' to it. Operation Flashpoint did it very well where reloading, switching weapons, etc had very tangible consequences in an otherwise smooth movement system.

I simply haven't had time to play the release candidate, so I won't vote, but frankly I don't think Arma2s anim issues can be solved by tweaks they need a complete rethink.

-k

Wish I could test the speeds, but I am on a Steam build. If they are as fast as some say probably no, but keeping my vote out since I can not test it.

I dig the speeds of the TrueGameplay mods going to prone, to crouch and to standing. I also really dig the PvPScene Grenades and Stepover animation speeds. In my opinion the general movement animations are to slow in Arma 2 and OA. Reloading is pretty good stock, but other standard movements need some tweaking, but not over done.

If these new animations are similar to TrueGameplay and PvPScene I would vote yes. Minus the reloading from TrueGameplay. I have been using an LMG mostly while checking the TrueGameplay mods and PvPScene mods so other weapons may benefit from a bit faster realoading animation.(general Assault Riffles).

100% DISLIKE !!! esto es una mierda !

work on more important things, example:

- the use of cores in the dedicated server. in my community, we're leaving people without playing, because the engine can't hold 50 people + AI on the server.

Edited by Minimalaco

Thank you BIS that this time you gave it to try before release. I voted dislike just because I'm afraid of your global "surprise" changes, how it was with 1.57. I'm pretty happy with the current animation.

Although I haven't tested it (Prefer beta patch which is removeable and I have to face too much risk once the near coming official release patch can't be updated based on this one), I still feel quite satisfied with the current animation speed.

It is a good idea to let players play more comfortable but I don't wanna to see the game become unrealistic!

Actually, I'd appreciate if BI can complete the animation, e.g. We can see the whole process when a soldier get in the tank and closed the hatch, rather than disappear immediately. lol.

Dislike. Too fast, unrealistic and buggy. And also.. devs.. :) When you fix this bug? :)

Edited by DAP

There's got to be a good reason that it hasn't been fixed/disabled yet.

After all, it's not like you guys don't point it out ENOUGH.

:p

Keep the animation speeds the same, but fix the grenade throw while walking, for the love of GOD.
This. +1.