Sign in to follow this  
Fireball

Insurgency

Does everyone recommend playing MP with ATOC=0 for enhanced stability?

@Gunther RE: island porting

It has to do with making sure the island elevations and the map grid starting at 0,0 being the upper top left as your zero 0 > 9 left to right and top down as example have to be set. some islands grid start in the bottom right corner. Map Grid and Elevation need to be adjusted for each island. That's the simple explanation. Good luck!

Edited by xx-LSD-xx
forgot to whom it concerns

I have just discovered Insurgency, and thus am a complete noob to not only it, but MP in general. I'm an expert A2/CO/RNF SP player, though.

Is the basic idea to go to the MP server list, filter on insurgency, join one, and then help the guys in there clear the red squares of bad guys, get their intel, and find/destroy weapons caches? Should one search every dead insurgent for intel?

Should one install Project Reality mod? I have no mods whatsoever. I just quickly joined one server and played for 1/2 hour, so I guess PR isn't necessary.

How do I decide which server to join? Do I have to join a clan or something? I'd like to join one with the most kick-ass players possible. For example, I'd like to play where Fireball himself plays (assuming he plays and doesn't just design ;)). He listed his own server by IP address, but I don't see IP addresses in the server list. Is there a name for his server?

Is the idea that the map on a server is maintained constantly, so that eventually all red squares will be cleared? I assume that will take days or weeks? Does the server manager then reset the map? I'd like to get in on a game at the very beginning and follow it until the end if possible.

Is there a way to play Insurgency in SP?

Is there a web page somewhere that explains in detail how to play Insurgency? I'm quite clueless with MP; sorry for all the questions.

About palying rules, did you read a Notes in mission :)?

- BLUFOR must search intels, and try find & destroy ammo crate

- OPFOR must defend a crate area

---------- Post added at 20:40 ---------- Previous post was at 19:56 ----------

To OMAC again, try download a ACE+ACEX and ACRE+TS3 addons :) Game without ACE&ACRE its boolshit!

And try play with ACE on this version of Insurgecy

While looking at some of the upcoming changes, I saw this ticket that gave me concern:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/25021

Now I know that there will be the option to turn off helicopters, but by adding the SMAW doesn't that mean the game will require ArmA 2? Those with only OA will be stuck. Sure, they could add A2Free into the mix, but it still doesn't seem right, especially with US Army forces. Why not stick with the Gustav?

BOTA, ok i check this, and if needed SMAW be replaced...

While looking at some of the upcoming changes, I saw this ticket that gave me concern:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/25021

Now I know that there will be the option to turn off helicopters, but by adding the SMAW doesn't that mean the game will require ArmA 2? Those with only OA will be stuck. Sure, they could add A2Free into the mix, but it still doesn't seem right, especially with US Army forces. Why not stick with the Gustav?

It's not only the SMAW but also the projected changes on adding USMC units, which will require CO too.

IMO, since A2 was released for free in A2Free, anyone can make Combined Ops light with it.

But if too many are against integration of CO, we'll reconsider this.

Fireball you could detect if the server runs OA or CO and dynamically create the available vehicles.

For clients this would not help though.

I think if player today not have A2co(baf), it's not a player :(, hi must go and play in default A2 company but not in multiplayer...

to PVPScene: OA have lite ver of CO and CO have lite ver of OA(baf)!

---------- Post added at 15:01 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

And check

http://www.armatechsquad.com/ArmA2Class/A2/Units/usmc/

You could also detect dynamically for the client and end the mission for them with an appropriate message if they run OA only and join a CO server. And of course give CO servers the option (via parameters) to disable the CO requirement.

Personally it doesn't affect me one way or the other. I don't really like the idea of adding the SMAW in though. Overly effective compared to the rest of the AT options, pretty much making the rest of it obsolete (except the M136 since it's a 1 shotter now).

Aside from adding another couple of 5.56 slingers and an alternative AT launcher-- what exactly are you gaining by adding Arma2 equipment?

The cost of this is breaking compatability. Pointedly there are plenty newbie gamers who might own both arma2 and Operation arrow-- yet haven't figured out how to combine. This is something I experience all the time.

Having said that a USMC insurgency vaiant for Chernarus would be hot. Chernarus' lack of enterable buildings can be countered by inserting more roving bands of insurgents. Wooden areas, european urban zones, and other geographical aspects make Chernarus a top site for missions!

A Chernarus version would be awesome. Instead of blowing up ammo crates you could make it miscellaneous vehicles and such, like an APC or a captured helicopter. Something easier to spot so you don't have to constantly respawn enemies in the open. It would go by a lot quicker and easier than the current versions, but it would be an awesome unique version. Remove the colored square concept in favor of the roving insurgent groups so they could appear anywhere at any time even.

Ideally I'd like to see an OA only version, an A2 version, and a CO version. That might be the best way to go about it in my opinion.

I propose to split versions, make A2 clear and CO, its not to hard for my, need more your proposes

To BOTA:49 -

Yes maby good stuff, but it first i think need iplement current new features and fix some little bugs, after i planed port Ins to maby other islands.

And about side missions, check this ticket and post herer your proposes

A Chernarus version would be awesome. Instead of blowing up ammo crates you could make it miscellaneous vehicles and such, like an APC or a captured helicopter. Something easier to spot so you don't have to constantly respawn enemies in the open. It would go by a lot quicker and easier than the current versions, but it would be an awesome unique version. Remove the colored square concept in favor of the roving insurgent groups so they could appear anywhere at any time even.

Ideally I'd like to see an OA only version, an A2 version, and a CO version. That might be the best way to go about it in my opinion.

Ummmm I think you need Evolution or Domination !!!! Insurgency is a completely different gamemode.

Ummmm I think you need Evolution or Domination !!!! Insurgency is a completely different gamemode.

Absolutely not. Insurgency just doesn't work without open buildings. The concept would be the same as insurgency, except instead of stationary spots the enemy is mobile, and to make it so you don't have to potentially spawn enemies right in your face they would need to be spawned at a distance. Maybe the helicopter or other assets might be too much, in which place a camo covered ammo box would work as well, but without fully enter-able buildings there needs to be a work around for the AI to spawn otherwise squares will get cleared out way too easily and the enemy would lose any potential advantage.

I think insurgency is fine as it is, that what makes it good.

If it aint broke don't fix it.

It can be improved in some areas within its own mode itself, but like said there are other missions that are best suited for what they do for what is being sought.

Insurgency is just that, your looking for caches, which revolves around insurgent activities, something like Afghanistan,

or Iraq type combat in close combat areas, or even light country like but with sparse buildings that set the theme.

Taking the mission out of context turns it into another.

I think insurgency is fine as it is, that what makes it good.

If it aint broke don't fix it.

I agree basically with you, hence I fell sort of into a phase of apathy, not really doing anything anymore.

But I also see that other players and fans of Insurgency have great ideas which surpass my current imagination, hence I invite those who want to help with the project happily (under some conditions).

I am aware, that some modifications from 0.81a on forward may be controvert to some extent (realism vs. fun), but I'm willing to take the risk, knowing that 0.81a will always be there for all the die-hard basic Insurgency fans to play, and if you want so, I could have called it 1.0.

Sometimes a mission has to evolve, so it won't become a bore, people want new stuff, new toys (kit, vehicles), some like more action (e.g. air attacks), some like it spartan (hunting few insurgents with an M9 within houses).

All that said, with a few exceptions, most will still remain configurable through params.

Edited by Fireball

Since you're looking to re-create the conditions of an Insurgency then I strongly recommend adding more civilians.

An increased number of civilians would really add to the tension as it'd:

a) harder to spot insurgents

b) increased risk of collateral damage (is a player's score negatively impacted by civilian casualties and/or deaths?)

c) act as an indicator of imminent ambush, e.g. as insurgents are about to attack, the civilians in the vicinity could flee...

Don't get me wrong, I really like Insurgency, I'm only try to help

Edited by domokun

I think if you add various options via configuration menu then it makes a lot of sense but Insurgency in concept should remain pretty much the same (ie. hunting for ammo crates).

If it is to be changed drastically then it should be called something else and branched or something from this development. That way you maintain fixing bugs etc. in the current Insurgency branch etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Another thought - as an option of course - what about allowing ONLY the squad leaders to drive the humvees. Anyone could ride the four wheelers, but to humvee driving is SL. Might help promote a little more team interaction, might not, but it would be an interesting feature.

Getting shot by a Taki promotes team play. If you don't play as a squad your missing out

in alot of great game play.

I've increased the size of alpha squad to ten players and left the rest at five. That way when the server gets full we are able to have more people in the same squad that like team play and it works out great! I thinking I might increase the size of bravo but haven't really had the need to since one large squad have been working fine.

Night time sucks if your the Insurgent team adding nv goggles to all players would be fair imo instead of only to the TL's.

Speaking of that where do I find player load outs so I can change that.

Or I might just add random crates of nv goggles that fell off of support vehicles. Not sure I think just adding them as standard equipment is the way to go.

Fast roping as an option. Can't justify adding another chopper as a taxi. Tried it but wasn't happy and haven't had the time to get it to work properly.

I also changed the ratio of rpg soldiers and replaced them with strella/AA soldiers.

Thought it was only fair after the black hawk became a Venom.

More options for adjusting the grass layer was added also.

If requested I can make my changes public.

Tweaking from now on is the only thing I would do on a personal level.

I think it's a well rounded and complete package. Best game mode out there IMO.

Edited by xx-LSD-xx
Pain reliever

Speaking of that where do I find player load outs so I can change that.

Follow my tutorial:

Adding weapons and Equip to Insurgency

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=2012247&postcount=321

If you could please use proper paragraphs when you post.

I foudn myself not wanting to read what you posted, although i found myself scanning through it and a line caught my eye.

I have edited this mission many times I do agree its a great mission.

Follow my tutorial:

Adding weapons and Equip to Insurgency

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=2012247&postcount=321

If you could please use proper paragraphs when you post.

I found myself not wanting to read what you posted, although i found myself scanning through it and a line caught my eye.

I have edited this mission many times I do agree its a great mission.

I want to edit the player/vehicle class load out not Insurgency as a whole. I.E.....TK_INS_Soldier_TL_EP1 etc.. giving all INS soldiers nv goggles as standard equip.

Sorry if my 5 a.m. ramble was painful for you. But thanks for taking the time to reply I'll figure it out myself.

Edited by xx-LSD-xx