Sign in to follow this  
Chill xl

ToraBora "Sandbox Edition"

please can you make some flat terrain? I cant find a single place to install a FOB, and if I found one place, it is full of rocks and trees :s

This X100

Tnx for all the feedback, really appreciating this.

I've put alot of work in the new sattelite map, altough its not "perfect" as i'm not satisfied with the light yellow grass fields, overall im pretty pleased with it. All the grass areas have been redone and redistributed and i added some green patches to the slopes.

Then on to the fob / flat situation, i'm still not sure if im going to have flat open spaces that are empty on the map. Something i wanted to add from the beginning was a fob, and possibly a couple of COP's around. The latter is something i believe mission makers could easily prep for a mission. I wacked a simple COP together in one of our latest mission, a vid of it can be seen here:

It's build N.E. of Jool Hul on hill 2345.

Anyway, if you have good ideas about fobs and cops let me know, i would gladly look into them... :)

Chill out

ps. very minor (hotfix) update is available on SIX updater, it fixes the floating house in Skandahar that Minimalaco reported.

I'd say it would be pretty nice with some flat ground for a larger FOB somewhere in the middle of the map, just to have some sort of base of operations, smaller outposts aren't that hard to construct around the map.

Right, thats about my thought aswell. Currently im think about a FOB somewhere around Sanaag Bari, middle of the map. How big is such a FOB, i dont want to get into massive bases as it should fit the remote "theme" and be somewhat "improvised". Some barracks and a bunker/tower, a helipad and some hesco's around it right? A couple of containers and a generator, a mortar station...

If someone has some pics of a small fob, or has prepped something in the editor i would like to see them :)

hey chill, thanks for the great map :) but i think the ground supposed to be in greyish color like takistan. And +100 for the flat ground!

p.s my first post :p

And it can still have grass in various size as we can "move" that ourselves. That way it wont look too cleaned out.

Great map btw. Cheers Chill.

Right, thats about my thought aswell. Currently im think about a FOB somewhere around Sanaag Bari, middle of the map. How big is such a FOB, i dont want to get into massive bases as it should fit the remote "theme" and be somewhat "improvised". Some barracks and a bunker/tower, a helipad and some hesco's around it right? A couple of containers and a generator, a mortar station...

If someone has some pics of a small fob, or has prepped something in the editor i would like to see them :)

I agree that it shouldn't be too big, It's better to keep the feeling that the area is remote and hard to get supplies into, so I think your idea sounds perfect. I don't know much about FOB's though, but yeah, I think your'e on the right track. :)

I agree that it shouldn't be too big, It's better to keep the feeling that the area is remote and hard to get supplies into, so I think your idea sounds perfect. I don't know much about FOB's though, but yeah, I think your'e on the right track. :)

If you use Mr Murray's recently released compositions module it's very easy to simply plonk down a premade small base which has essentially what Chill was asking. It's just a matter of finding enough flat ground. I agree, we don't really need a huge base, it doesn't suit the vibe of the map.

I agree, we don't really need a huge base, it doesn't suit the vibe of the map.

Agreed. Plus it limits the mission maker's freedom if there's an ever-present FOB in the middle of the map. Some flat empty ground might be nice, but I don't see an issue in adapting and building smaller outposts instead.

Edited by Daniel

Don't forget to get rid of trees/shrubs or any rocks in that area!

I have a couple of pictures of small FOBs, I'll post later.

Some shots from the movie Restrepo:

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8425/op1u.png

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/9871/op2c.png

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/3438/op3f.png

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/4676/op4.png

Edited by ray243

we don't really need a huge base, it doesn't suit the vibe of the map.

Agreed, or get creative and adapt one of the villages...

Just tried the latest version! It looks nice, satmap is better, although I miss the horizon. I really hope you can manage to get the takistan-horizon working, or at least return the Chernarus-horizon.

Also, I've noticed some strange ground-textures that I don't think were present in the last version.

From a distance:

strangetext1.jpg

As you can see, it sticks out in a bad way from the rest of the terrain (at least in my opinion), and looks rather strange. Also, it doesn't match how it looks up close.

Up close (I'm standing in the closest circled-in area on the first picture):

strangetext2.jpg

Edit: Ah, apparently the time of day-lighting effects played a large role. This issue only seems to be present around morning hours, I guess it depends on where the sun falls etc. When I changed the time of day on the mission to midday or the evening the issue was gone. Might be something to look into anyway though :)

Edited by McNools

Awesome map, the best one since A2 easily. Are you planning on adding any pre-made FOBs/COPs or no?

...Then on to the fob / flat situation, i'm still not sure if im going to have flat open spaces that are empty on the map. Something i wanted to add from the beginning was a fob, and possibly a couple of COP's around. The latter is something i believe mission makers could easily prep for a mission. I wacked a simple COP together in one of our latest mission, a vid of it can be seen here:

It's build N.E. of Jool Hul on hill 2345.

Anyway, if you have good ideas about fobs and cops let me know, i would gladly look into them... :)

I placed a US outpost on your excellent map in my latest mission The Ridge. It took a looong time to find the spot though :)

Great great map Chill, thanks a lot!

/ ]NTRUDER

I have been playing this and using alot of building for AI to fight from, nice with civvies screaming and shouting now.

I play it mostly with the effects module set to the following:

"colorCorrections" ppEffectAdjust [1, 1, -0.0045, [0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0], [1, 0.6, 0.4, 0.4], [0.199, 0.587, 0.114, 0.0]];

"colorCorrections" ppEffectCommit 1;

"colorCorrections" ppEffectEnable true;

"filmGrain" ppEffectEnable true;

"filmGrain" ppEffectAdjust [0.02, 1, 1, 0.1, 1, false];

"filmGrain" ppEffectCommit 1;

Love this map and this look.

Yeah please dont add any FOB's, it's perfect as it is, perfect Tier1 operating territory, with support for the AC130 addon module and drone strikes etc. having a permanent FOB even a small one would destroy the badlands feel.

Yeah please dont add any FOB's, it's perfect as it is, perfect Tier1 operating territory, with support for the AC130 addon module and drone strikes etc. having a permanent FOB even a small one would destroy the badlands feel.

Agreed. There are already a few areas where a carefully constructed FOB can be added with a little patience via the editor. Adding one on the map by default would ruin the feel as Electricleash said, and potential mission ideas.

Edited by Jackal326
Correction of typo

Love this terrain mate, awesome fun. Look forward to more updates.

Any chance on making a flat part of ground on this map? ie an airfield or big base?

as im trying to convert a domination map for it.

Thanks man! oh and sent you a pm!

Agreed. There are already a few areas where a carefully constructed FOB can be added with a little patience via the editor. Adding one on the map by default would ruin the feel as Electricleash said, and potential mission ideas.

While I respect your guys' opinions, I think the mob has spoken. Personally I think that the "badlands" feel could be easily maintained on 90% of this fantastic terrain while providing the majority of us with a more accessible island for popular online game modes.

I guess it's up to Chill_XL, but I could easily see ToraBora being among the most popular Domination islands around instead of just a "niche" map used here and there for small-team coops on private servers.

Plus, at this point with the 1.5 version you fellas that want to keep the barren feel have a signed, publicly-released island already. Call it ToraBora Lite. If Chill decides to construct an airfield, you wouldn't have your copies of the older version erased, right? :p

Just my opinion. :cool: