Sign in to follow this  
Second

MultiDiscussion : TES5: Skyrim, BattleField 3, COD, R6 etc.

Interesting little quote from EA....

http://www.fudzilla.com/games/item/23039-ea-vs-activision-rivalry-heats-up

Activision’s main man, Bobby Kotick, is quoted as suggesting that all of the footage that DICE has shown so far comes from the PC version of the game; to which John Riccitiello from EA retorted that, “If Bobby thinks that is PC footage, he’s in real trouble.â€

If all that SP footage is from consoles then there is no way in hell it was not touched up using non-realtime super AA just like the early footage of BC2.

The MP footage was played on PC's set up for visitors to play.

Edited by jblackrupert

Interesting little quote from EA....

http://www.fudzilla.com/games/item/23039-ea-vs-activision-rivalry-heats-up

Activision’s main man, Bobby Kotick, is quoted as suggesting that all of the footage that DICE has shown so far comes from the PC version of the game; to which John Riccitiello from EA retorted that, “If Bobby thinks that is PC footage, he’s in real trouble.â€

If all that SP footage is from consoles then there is no way in hell it was not touched up using non-realtime super AA just like the early footage of BC2.

Always knew it all looked far too good to be true....will be interesting to see how the final product looks, although whats your source exactly?

http://botchweed.com/game-news/battlefield-3-pre-order-bonuses-leave-gamers-unhappy/

Edited by Innomadic

well, I've seen 2 vids of the tank run demo, and definitely, they are not the same run. 2 guys get out of the burning tank near the end of one of them (when it gets destroyed by the PLA base defense), and the guy playing nearly squished one of them, while only 1 guy got out on the second vid. This, + other differences (like player watching rocket artillery fly-by in 1 of the video, not present in the other one)

If this is pre-rendered, they made 2 versions of it

Out of 9:54 minutes, I think he actually only played 30 seconds.

Edited by Hans Ludwig

well, I've seen 2 vids of the tank run demo, and definitely, they are not the same run. 2 guys get out of the burning tank near the end of one of them (when it gets destroyed by the PLA base defense), and the guy playing nearly squished one of them, while only 1 guy got out on the second vid. This, + other differences (like player watching rocket artillery fly-by in 1 of the video, not present in the other one)

If this is pre-rendered, they made 2 versions of it

Dynamic AI?

That is the unfortunate reality of what AAA FPS games have become.

well, i really don't understand how COD could sell better than BF3 for instance...I mean at least BF3 engine shows some sort of improvements, as well as DICE being what it is for the jump in MP...How could COD, running on the same engine, with the same poor low-poly model blocks, and blockbuster 1337 story win it over? I wonder what is the profile of the average COD fan player

well, i really don't understand how COD could sell better than BF3 for instance...I mean at least BF3 engine shows some sort of improvements, as well as DICE being what it is for the jump in MP...How could COD, running on the same engine, with the same poor low-poly model blocks, and blockbuster 1337 story win it over? I wonder what is the profile of the average COD fan player

30% frat boys 30% Kids 30% Casual players :confused:

Tbh I always found the 1337 campaigns entertaining , but not enough for a purchase . MP is just so .... full of slime :j:

Why do we even want one to sell better than the other? Especially these two? We are talking about both Activision and EA here. People need to wake up and realize we need to stop giving these suits control over the gaming industry and put it back in the hands of those who actually play games.

Does anyone else find it amusing why so many in the audience cared so much as to what platform it was being played on?

Does anyone else find it amusing why so many in the audience cared so much as to what platform it was being played on?

... Yeah :) everyone knows the PC can outgame all others, too bad the PC is so flexible. If it could only play games, it's be more popular :D

... Yeah :) everyone knows the PC can outgame all others, too bad the PC is so flexible. If it could only play games, it's be more popular :D

I have heard more people with consoles talk about using Netflix than playing actual games.

Why do we even want one to sell better than the other? Especially these two? We are talking about both Activision and EA here. People need to wake up and realize we need to stop giving these suits control over the gaming industry and put it back in the hands of those who actually play games.

I concur, but honestly i doubt thats going to happen, mainly because they can milk consoles for so much more, the effort/reward ratio skyrockets.

We lost when DLC became the norm and even some PC gamers started asking/begging for DLC as the dev wasn't supporting the title properly.

Its a sad, sad state of affairs...

I respond to this specific post not as an attack on your opinion, but rather as an attempt to get the concept straight in my own mind.

The legacy of Call of Duty was never funded on developing new technologies-- its always been about leveraging existing features and applying them cleverly in game. Particularly the first Call of Duty game and then Modern Warfare1 delivered an authentic setting and most importantly colourful characters-- all combined with rather decent map/game design. For better or worse CoD has been on the forefront of adopting features that have become the staples of a (rather degenerate) First person shooters of today. Ironsights, regenerating health, unlockable equipment, and rather linear scripted map design. Having said that the corridors of MW1 and CoD1 were-- in stark contrast to the recent game Black Ops-- quite wide and always allowed for multiple routes.

Personally I feel that Treyarch/Activision will drive the brand to the ground. WaW and particularly Black Ops (despite their sales figures) were both bloody awful. That Raven software are developing the multiplayer portion of MW3 is sadly hardly a staple of quality either-- their record, regardless of their age and experience as a game studio, is hardly picture perfect. Q4, Sof2, JO, etc

So what does that make the average CoD player like? I don't know. Probably the same brand of gamer that played Counter-Strike religiously some ten years ago. Someone who likes sharp, crisply smooth, and accurate gameplay. Something with rythm, a bit of skill, and that garners bragging rights once the round is over. Something that feels personal. All things that BF2 didn't particularly provide and I'm not really expecting BF3 to either.

Do I expect BF3 to sell better than this iteration of MW? Definitely. They've loaded their chariot with gimmicks, some impressive some not as much. More so they have done their best to entice PC players disillusioned by the previous generation of 'console games and sell the idea that this game will be better/different'. Yet people seem to forget that BF3 is very much a multi-platform console release... I doubt things will change much.

-k

It is very boring game in the world. Every year nothing changes.

This is game for little childrens....

OOO NOOOO BOOOOOORIIIIIING!! :sleep:

CoD = FPDR

I didn't ever think that they were 13 years-old, I always thought they had the mental capacity of a 13 year-old. ;)

The majority of them, at least. And I played MW2 on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

I didn't ever think that they were 13 years-old, I always thought they had the mental capacity of a 13 year-old. ;)

The majority of them, at least. And I played MW2 on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Some perhaps but i met few who actually fitted the stereotype. Most of the people i played with on MW2 on 360 (the days before i found heaven in my PC) were quite perfectly normal people just playing for fun, very few cared much about their k/d, or whos a "noob" or "pro". They, like me, just played for fun, i mean, really what more do you expect from an arcade twitch shooter?

While i don't want to sound like an upright elitist snob, i think it has much to do with the country a person is from and their experiences in that culture. The vast majority of Americans i played indeed fitted the stereotype, using 1887's, care package running, hacking and all these other horrible things i...never really came across. I dunno whether it is Aussies are less prone to cheating or exploiting (i say prone because we are not 100% perfect of course), but i had a fun time when i did play the game, i just don't understand why i seem to be the only one....on a simulation forum at least :p

Edited by Innomadic

Most of us "dislike"/"hate" Call of Duty more because of what it's done, and is continuing to do, to the gaming industry. The games themselves, while nothing special by any stretch and certainly not deserving of the ratings they get, are usually solid, even if the single player can be ridiculously short/stupid at times.

I have a lot of rage in me towards Call of Duty because MW2 disregarded PC users entirely, and Black Ops made false promises of suddenly caring about PC users. Funny how the game still doesn't work properly on dual-core PCs. Arma 2 runs better on higher settings for me than Black Ops does. Apparently I would have to switch back to Windows XP to have Black Ops run properly. (And fuck that!)

MW3, to me, is called MW2: New York.

Edited by Zipper5

Most of us "dislike"/"hate" Call of Duty more because of what it's done, and is continuing to do, to the gaming industry. The games themselves, while nothing special by any stretch and certainly not deserving of the ratings they get, are usually solid, even if the single player can be ridiculously short/stupid at times.

I agree, however that doesn't mean that we should constantly label all CoD players as "kiddies" just because they enjoy that kind of game. Its completely mis-representative of the CoD playing population, and honestly is quite grating nowadays (along with NZ sheep jokes).

I don't disagree that the CoD formula is damaging, i think the effects are now irreversible, however i don't see it as constructive if we're going to take the moral high ground by labeling them all as "kiddies", that just makes more people hate those who still want more from their games and can see the pathetic cash grabs big brand developers engage in these days.

I have a lot of rage in me towards Call of Duty because MW2 disregarded PC users entirely, and Black Ops made false promises of suddenly caring about PC users. Funny how the game still doesn't work properly on dual-core PCs. Arma 2 runs better on higher settings for me than Black Ops does. Apparently I would have to switch back to Windows XP to have Black Ops run properly. (And fuck that!)

MW3, to me, is called MW2: New York.

I don't disagree, but thats not my point.

I think CoD is great. It acts as a sink. I'm not saying all CoD players are idiots, but it seems to hoover most of them up.

I have to admit i've always liked CoD's campaigns, mostly for their story, despite being too short. However there are a lot of things it has brought that make me sad, being how teadious the MP becomes, you don't have to be an expert to play well without stressing. Another thing, why do they ALWAYS overhype it, then the ignorant CoD based spamming stupidity on youtube gun videos, always refering to perks...Thank god i finally got a new pc to run arma2 again, which is what i play mostly now.

I'll get it, but i've swore to myself to skive off the MP this time and just play other games.

ROFLMFAO - so now you can take on the Russian Navy in a Zodiac with an MP5?

This franchise just gets stupider and stupider.

If this is 3, how stupid will it be when we get to 4 or 5?

No doubt a US postal worker fighting Russia and China with a potato peeler.

Edited by BangTail

ROFLMFAO - so now you can take on the Russian Navy in a Zodiac with an MP5?

There was an interview with one of the COD devs about the sub they attack in that level, apparently they had some military people advise them on how to do it, initially the COD team had their story plan laid out for it but when the military advisers saw how they'd take out the sub they laughed. I'd love to know how the devs were originally planning to do it!

Tbh, I really enjoy COD (zombie mode on BLOPS is fun as anything!), yeah maybe not challenging like other games but sometimes I need that bombastic Michael-Bay-sposions epic of a story line. COD seems to have that, will wait till its cheaper though!