Sign in to follow this  
nodunit

AH-64 Pack

@Banderas :shhh:

@avengerzx their both reneders in max, different shadow techniques but more than that would be the light placement, you could more clarity and popping (I guess, still not fully sure what its all about) as well as details shown, for example the radome.

Oh that gives me ideas.

Not exactly an update, just a comparison check of 3 point vs 1 omni that I've been using, if anyone else knows a thing or two about 3 point or lighting in general that could help the renders look more spiffy I'm all ears.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Model%20work/AH-64D/Work%20In%20Progress/Apache%20Renders/sevlight.jpg 3 point

1 light http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Model%20work/AH-64D/Work%20In%20Progress/Apache%20Renders/onelight.jpg

Work on using rim lights to punch out the edges, your key light also feels like it's at a quite static angle, try to find somewhere more dynamic

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs022.snc3/10969_334291280122_518870122_9707670_1106717_n.jpg

Somewhat OTT example of rim lights on the fridge or the edge of the kitchen counter (first 3D assignment I did at uni)

Further to that, the material you're using seems a bit too matte to take full advantage of the lighting effect

The first picture lighting features soft shadow? Seems to be like DirectX 11 soft shadow effect

Rendering in something like max is totally different from real time game rendering; the procedures are much more complex, (probably to some degree less efficient) and involve much more realistic simulation of elements of lighting, shadow, etc,

Edited by DaveP

I wouldn't quite say I'd be going for anything realistic in the renders, my concern is more about how it would look ingame, giving 'false advertisement' but rather just something to improve it so the shading isn't quite so dark in some area's and a bit more pops out though looking at your picture I'll experiment a bit with specularity, its possible I have it too flat but I'm definately going nowhere near the amount of the OA apache.

Probably will cost ya a lot of beers but I can keep my mouth shut :D

Ah well I just happen to have several bottles to fit into a nicely stuffed box. Where shall I send them?

Edited by NodUnit

I demand BIS offer you a job... your work is so good! Can't wait until this comes out Nod, the more screenies that come the better it gets.

Can you PM me a super res version of this? - http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Model%20work/AH-64D/Work%20In%20Progress/Apache%20Renders/32.jpg

Would love it as my desktop background! (2048x1152).

I've got to run some errands but when I get back I'll render the scene a few times with different lighting so you can choose what you'd like, since you'll be using it as a wallpaper I'll also paint more onto it for you :)

Do you have any backround color or image you'd prefer over the one there?

Edited by NodUnit

Can I have a super high-res wallpapers pack when done too? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeez ;]

If you want one then sure. What resolution would you like and do you have any preferred angle of any sort? Preferred background etc?

Edited by NodUnit

I hope you don't have too much trouble getting this in game- I can imagine the struggle of trying to fit a ferrari into a shoebox.

I hope you don't have too much trouble getting this in game- I can imagine the struggle of trying to fit a ferrari into a shoebox.

I got my really complex Su-17/22 into the game so it's not an impossible task. When we get down to brass tacks it's not that far removed from the base game content in terms of resource usage or overall detail. See the Mi-171Sh, MH-60M, etc.

Awww you just cheated Banderas out of his beer.

Edited by NodUnit

I got my really complex Su-17/22 into the game so it's not an impossible task. When we get down to brass tacks it's not that far removed from the base game content in terms of resource usage or overall detail. See the Mi-171Sh, MH-60M, etc.

I was just wishing him a smooth process since it's getting close, is all.

Franze meant no harm, the reason he posted that is because he will be the one getting it ingame ;)

I'd say status is haflway depending on how we do it, since the UV's would be dependant on one another to an extent we'll most likely wait until all versions are finished.

Oh and I'm still working on those renders for you guys, just adding some extra paint and exploring at hing ro two that might add to them.

Edited by NodUnit

Will it be possible to set this as a replacement model for the default apache? Or has that been planned all along and I just haven't read this thread enough?

Not that I'm aware of, the thought has occured to me on more than one occasion but then I remembered that I don't know how to make a replacement anything.

There was a request for a modified and simple apache back in OFp though for a replacement pack in FFUR so I'm sure we'll do something similar and if someone or Franze decides to make a replacement pack then I'd have to give them a hug.

And for those of you waiting on the wallpaper I apologize for the time it's taking, I stayed up toying with this three point + lighting thing so the image isn't quite as dark as well as reflections on the TADS/PNVS (but its a fickle beast that apparently doesn't like rendering switched from user to camera etc..or something, the refelctions are fine but then get all wonkey, it's really annoying) and will have something by today.

Edited by NodUnit

Excellent find Eddie, since it's public knowledge and free I guess, I had been working with a digital manual from tpub but the text is jumbled and not so clear on some parts, especially panels whereas what you sent is crystal clear (now I can make the antenna panel which looked like a nightmare before) Thank you :yay:.

This will help me a LOT and perhaps now I can find the parts that I couldn't prior.

Here are some pictures for the wallpaper you requested rexehuk, if you see something you want changed or removed just let me know.

I tried to focus on the front directly but due to the resolution I couldn't so you get more and if you want a different background just let me know, I figured I'd start with something a bit midtone, not too bright or too dark for the sake of your eyesight. http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Model%20work/AH-64D/Work%20In%20Progress/Apache%20Renders/ their at the top.

There are also copies of the pictures with an added photohsop filter for richer colors.

Also Max I will have the pictures you requested but first I'd like to fix a few things I ran into during this photo shoot and get a bit more paint on the actual bird.

No problem NodUnit. I'm working on trying to find a D model version but I feel this will be very tricky to get hold of, and I'm not interested in getting into trouble for it.

One interesting thing I noticed was they claim the 30mm M230's azimuth is 110 degrees either side of the aircraft, yet the (W)AH-64D is supposed to be 90 degrees either side.

Anyway, keep up the good work, nice to see the US version in PR: ArmA2.

One interesting thing I noticed was they claim the 30mm M230's azimuth is 110 degrees either side of the aircraft, yet the (W)AH-64D is supposed to be 90 degrees either side.

That is odd. I'll check that up if I remember.

No problem NodUnit. I'm working on trying to find a D model version but I feel this will be very tricky to get hold of, and I'm not interested in getting into trouble for it.

Anyway, keep up the good work, nice to see the US version in PR: ArmA2.

The D's flight manual is almost certainly still classified. There's too much sensitive equipment - most of it probably relating to comm gear - to let that out into the open.

The M230 gun turret azimuth may vary depending on the turret involved. The turret they use today was very different from the ones in 1989, so it's possible the changes they made after 1989 restrict the azimuth.

Nodunit you need to be cloned so we can have 25 of you finish this up then work on an AH-1Z done to the same standard. Or go all "what-if" with an AH-56 or RAH-66. Keep up the great work.

Will we be able to select different rocket and Hellfire loadouts? For example Hellfires with blast-fragmentation of thermobaric warheads would be nice to have.

Also Max I will have the pictures you requested but first I'd like to fix a few things I ran into during this photo shoot and get a bit more paint on the actual bird.

Rgr that. ^^

Nodunit you need to be cloned so we can have 25 of you finish this up then work on an AH-1Z done to the same standard. Or go all "what-if" with an AH-56 or RAH-66. Keep up the great work.

Hah first when Nodunit announced the AH-64 I was disappointed that the did something so unimaginative, something that was already ingame.

However now I think anything fictional or even very rare would be a waste of Nodunits talents, because here we have a guy that painstakenly stays close to detail, and does tons of research to stay as close to reality as possible.

And with something as the AH-56 or RAH-66 he would have a hard time doing that research, because there should be far less material available.

Yeah but he could assign 10 of him-selves to do the research.

Personally I've always been intrigued by the idea of a "fast" attack helicopter like the AH-56. The Sikorsky S-67 has also been a favorite of mine, sort of like an American Mi-24.

Back the AH-64 and speaking of fictional things, I've never been to find as much information about the AH-64B and AH-64C as I would like, supposedly one of the upgrades planned for the B variant was modified and upgraded chain gun.

Will we be able to select different rocket and Hellfire loadouts? For example Hellfires with blast-fragmentation of thermobaric warheads would be nice to have.

Yes. Depending on AH-64 type and era, AGM-114C/F/K/L/M/N models will be available. Hydra types will be M151/M229/M255/M261, again limited on type and era.

Back the AH-64 and speaking of fictional things, I've never been to find as much information about the AH-64B and AH-64C as I would like, supposedly one of the upgrades planned for the B variant was modified and upgraded chain gun.

AH-64B and AH-64C were planned upgrade versions of the AH-64As in service which were dropped when it was determined to upgrade all AH-64As to D standard.