Sign in to follow this  
nodunit

AH-64 Pack

It is possible to remove all HUD\GUI stuff from the screen and just show it all only in the MDFs?

Amazing job on this Nod, kudos.

It is possible to remove all HUD\GUI stuff from the screen and just show it all only in the MDFs?

Amazing job on this Nod, kudos.

If you mean the game UI HUD(as opposite to the vehicle HUD) on the top, yes, this is removable. Actually my F-16 will have it disabled and show all info on the instruments/HUD/MFD's instead.

Myke;1840076']If you mean the game UI HUD(as opposite to the vehicle HUD) on the top' date=' yes, this is removable. Actually my F-16 will have it disabled and show all info on the instruments/HUD/MFD's instead.[/quote']

Yeah, thats it. Great then!

Myke;1840007']Regarding the first pic (the one with the 8 different MFD's)' date=' i would be very interested about the coded backend. Especially the projected map. Is it static and just shows the loaded island on full scale or is it dynamic, zoomable maybe?

I would be very interested how you manage those displays, what technique you use (hiddenselections, animations) to make them work.[/quote']

I'm interested in that myself but as far as I am aware a zoomable map outside of the map screen itself is an engine limitation, depends on what Franze says and if anyone knows.

Edited by NodUnit

The Forward Display Unit (The box with the yellow text above both stations) is also another indicator, pointing out other system warnings not included on the system page such as if you have a fire on one engine, the text would flash up and so on and so forth.

QUOTE]

just a small correction, but it actually called the UFD, (up-front display). the new bigger ones in the block II and block IIIs are the E-UFD (E for enhanced). and it is MPD (multi-purpose display) now, not MFD. 58s have MFDs, 64s have MPDs lol.

Imagining a rainy day with a flight of birds in training...(...)

Woh... that's not attraction, that's love :D

Have been browsing your photobucket album and...I think I'm falling in love too :o

I usually have no problems to wait for a release but I have to admit in this case, knowing you'll use Myke's leaning enhancement and Franze being in charge of the "coding/scripting" part, it's really getting harder and harder. She's so sexy :bounce3:

Edited by Macadam Cow

The Forward Display Unit (The box with the yellow text above both stations) is also another indicator, pointing out other system warnings not included on the system page such as if you have a fire on one engine, the text would flash up and so on and so forth.

QUOTE]

just a small correction, but it actually called the UFD, (up-front display). the new bigger ones in the block II and block IIIs are the E-UFD (E for enhanced). and it is MPD (multi-purpose display) now, not MFD. 58s have MFDs, 64s have MPDs lol.

MPD? Oh now that is just embarrassing, I'll be sure to sure correct abbreviation from now on, thanks.

Woh... that's not attraction, that's love :D

Have been browsing your photobucket album and...I think I'm falling in love too :o

I usually have no problems to wait for a release but I have to admit in this case, knowing you'll use Myke's leaning enhancement and Franze being in charge of the "coding/scripting" part, it's really getting harder and harder. She's so sexy :bounce3:

Glad you like her :D Progress is coming along but I am keeping it quiet until I'm certain I'm finished, right now all that remains is a bit of detailing on the CPG's side but the brunt is in the pilots cockpit and the delta is nearly finished, all the alpha will need afterward is the panels on either sides so with luck testing will begin next month.

Sure has been quiet here, you still alive???

I'm just curious as to the progress of this addon, it looks very promising so I thought I'd ask what has been happening with it.

I'm just curious as to the progress of this addon, it looks very promising so I thought I'd ask what has been happening with it.

If he has anything, he'd let us know ;)

If he has anything, he'd let us know ;)

I suppose that's true... Of course I'm aware of the amount of work that goes into these addons and mods so I'm not asking for an update with pics or anything like that.

All I was asking was if he's been making progress, a simple yeah things are coming along would suffice for me lol.

Mah boi, this quiet is what all true warrior strive for...sorry I'll stop this now.

I've been alive but sure had felt like the living dead for awhile now. In her quest to make me sick mother nature got tired of waiting for the adverse hot day then snowy day patterns to bring me down, became impatient and said "Right that's it you have been well most of this and last year, you are getting sick now!" and so I did.

But things have been going on, I'll be posting pictures of the delta's pilot cockpit and later the alpha model, I'm also working on low poly-high poly normal map baking for things like the cyclic and collective but it's going a bit slow.

Also minecraft.

Edited by NodUnit

Mah boi, this quiet is what all true warrior strive for...sorry I'll stop this now.

I've been alive but sure had felt like the living dead for awhile now. In her quest to make me sick mother nature got tired of waiting for the adverse hot day then snowy day patterns to bring me down, became impatient and said "Right that's it you have been well most of this and last year, you are getting sick now!" and so I did.

But things have been going on, I'll be posting pictures of the delta's pilot cockpit and later the alpha model, I'm also working on low poly-high poly normal map baking for things like the cyclic and collective but it's going a bit slow.

Also minecraft.

Well I'm glad that things have been going, and also that your starting to feel better.

I look forward to further progress, this is one of the few addons that I personally must have.

Good luck to you, oh and don't rush through it, that is never good.

hey there NodUnit

I have a question concerning textures.

Have you planned to do this completely on your own? Or did you already talk to some guys that are specialized on this topic

Because low textures can make a beautiful model (like yours) look pretty fckd up.

And they are the 2. most important thing if you talk about the look, so i hope that you will put the same effort in it like you did it with modelling.

Cant wait to see those pictures of the delta's pilot cockpit and alpha model and just stare at them for like hours! ;)

All the best, and may everything you do be successfull

but remember haste makes waste. (But honestly i cant wait to fly this beauty! ;))

True but minecraft has been a nice escape from all the war and games that require some brain power.

Textures have been a concern of mine from the beginning, and while I would certainly love to show the same passion for it, I don't honestly think I have the know how.

ryguy kindly offered some time back but the answer I told him is still the same today, I'm nowhere near ready to even begin contemplating that.

As for haste..heheh, no supply of that I'm afraid, going through my library I noticed my CPG's D handgrips were somewhat wrong so I'm going to reshape them before I try to bake onto a lower poly.

But since it doesn't effect pilots spot I'll have a shot of the pilots Delta cockpit soonish, just need to place a few things for the updated look.

Edited by NodUnit

Textures have been a concern of mine from the beginning, and while I would certainly love to show the same passion for it, I don't honestly think I have the know how.

I already suspected something like this, but i am sure that this strong community with its tons of talented modders that know how to texture, will not let your beautiful model and hard work fall into the hands of ugly or low textures!

Maybe you can get in touch with Lennard, the guy that did the Huey reskins for example or sb else

But I'm sure that there are enough guys out here that would love to support your work with their specific know-how!

What do you think about the idea of starting a thread where people that are specialiced in textures can get in touch with modders who could need their help?

.... Maybe you can get in touch with Lennard, the guy that did the Huey reskins for example or sb else

Don't think I'm skilled enough for that mate:rolleyes:.

Making a reskin is a whole other level than actually creating textures.

We'll cross that bridge when we get to it, I don't want to get too far ahead of myself as there is still much to do and much normal map baking to test, which will account for much detail especially cockpit I imagine.

At this point I'm sawing the frame off to make way for the interior frame, this way I can mold out the true internal environment rather than have the blocky external frame in my internal shots.

And since the pilot can't see the rotor mast or much else for that matter it should give me a sizeable budget to really flesh it out.

Hmm...that gives me an idea, what if rather than a single texture for the cockpit, two were used..hang with me here. Everyone wants the cockpits to be high res and detailed that's a given, but if we use a single texture it would render both cockpits in high res all the time, that is a lot of detail we would hardly if ever see from the opposite seat.

So I'm thinking if we use a seperate texture, attuned specificly to that seat I could make the other seat lower poly, which you wouldn't notice from distance or with the geometry blocking your view, and it leaves far far FAR move UV space to focus on that particular part of the cabin and flesh out the texture detail greatly.

This way from the pilots perspective the CPG cockpit would be lower detail which you would hardly notice, and from the co pilot the pilots would have less detail, less polycount, more UV space and only the high res texture representing your seat would be rendered.

Edited by NodUnit

Since you're only viewing the viewpilot and viewgunner LODs once in any given scene, I don't think that lots of textures in the cockpit would be a problem. I think you should definitely have some higher res textures for the control panels and the stuff right in front of you. I don't think so much detail is needed for the walls of the cabin and that kind of stuff. The biggest thing you're going to have to look out for, I think, is having two different res textures side by side. If you have a similar pixel-of-texture per inch-of-monitor, you shouldn't really be noticible.. like if you have two similar sized objects with similar unwraps, if you have one with half the res at twice the distance from the camera as the other, I don't think the difference should be evident. Also, if both textures have a greater resolution per inch at some distance than your monitor does physically, the difference shouldn't be apparent no matter what the difference in resolution is.

Edited by Max Power

A great sum of all that actually happening also depends on the way the engine itself works, unfortunately I'm not very know how in this department so I'd like to ask the community a question or two.

Firstly how does the rendering work, I've heard that in many engines polygons of objects obscured from view will not be calculated and rendered but is it the same for textures? Mind you I'm not talking mip maps here but actual textures themselves.

For example, I'm familiar with there being exterior and interior textures for nearly all vehicles in the game, so when you are in say the hind and looking around from inside, is your computer still rendering all textures from that vehicle or only the ones you can see? IE the interior and rotor blur.

The engine culls invisible polygons, so backfacing polies and polygons that are totally occluded by other polygons (without an alpha texture) aren't drawn, but they're still loaded (I think) and ready to go. What is usual for viewPilot LODs is to have a detailed cockpit- much moreso than the cockpits of the vehicle's exterior view, and then have all polygons that are impossible to view from the inside deleted... so the underside of the vehicle, it tail, the rotor mast, the faces on the front of the nose- everything that you won't see from the pilot seat. This is so the engine doesn't even have to load those polies because they will never be viewed under any circumstance.

Having a bunch of textures affects performance because it necessitates a higher section count. Having a bunch of things on the same Directx draw call apparently is much faster than having a bunch of very simple draw calls.