Sign in to follow this  
nodunit

AH-64 Pack

Right I got that, I'm aware that from the outside people can't see the interiors I've shown, but would their computers still load and process the textures even if they could not see them?

Right I got that, I'm aware that from the outside people can't see the interiors I've shown, but would their computers still load and process the textures even if they could not see them?

That's a good question. I've never really thought about that. I just read one source that says "occlusion culling saves bandwidth by never requesting texture data for occluded objects". Another essay by nvidia seems to indicate that if an object's bounding box isn't in the frame or is occluded by another object, it won't be loaded for render. It sort of makes you wonder what an 'object' is.

Edited by Max Power

We'll cross that bridge when we get to it, I don't want to get too far ahead of myself as there is still much to do and much normal map baking to test

Yeah Nod, i also think that now our major focus should be on the things you are currently working on.

Its rather distracting when youre working with all the things in your mind, you still have to do in the future and already melt your brain about those things.

so just keep going and we'll see about those things, when the time has come then the community will "flood" you with support, i hope ;)

:icon14:

Edited by PurePassion

Been watching many reak apache vids i was wondering if there is a chance we can ingage targets 2km away plus?.. as standerd arma is very close.

kind regards jeza

you can in arma you just have to increase the view distance. You can engage targets waay out there you can't even see.

you can in arma you just have to increase the view distance. You can engage targets waay out there you can't even see.

But the problem is the shells are way off of the camera when zoomed in.

With ACE, it's easy to use it when the laser is activeted.

Oh, I see, you're talking about the guns.

Myke;1864829']Something that might be of interest for you guys: http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1864815&postcount=529

That is rather interesting, I wish I could try it but my game computer recently decided to stop working, it's sort of back up now but needs a video card replacement..gotta say, on board video cards have come a looong way.

As per gun engagements, ultimately that is a question best answered by Franze however I can say that range is certainly high priority for all weapons.

Edited by NodUnit

That is rather interesting, I wish I could try it but my game computer recently decided to stop working, it's sort of back up now but needs a video card replacement..gotta say, on board video cards have come a looong way.

As per gun engagements, ultimately that is a question best answered by Franze however I can say that range is certainly high priority for all weapons.

A fully working AH-1Z with TrackIR/Freetrack controlled Gun/Optics will come within the next 24h.

Can you make a video of it by chance? As I said, computer had to be replaced and I've yet to replace a video card, I'm pretty sure the onboard without it's shader support doesn't stand a chance. Still I would very much like to see your setup.

Edited by NodUnit

Honestly, there is not much to see. Ingame it moves like you're used with mouse and i don't have a vid camera to record myself so you could see me using TrackIR. So IMHO a vid is rather pointless as you surely agree.

You might take a look at this:

kTzuUJIyqzw

The system is the same, just a early stage for research/developing purpose but the way it works is the same.

Hey NodUnit, just wondering how things are going. Thought i'd post this because no ones said anything for a while. Good luck and keep up the good work

Classic schoolboy error ! DON'T ASK HOW THINGS ARE GOING!

If there is news it will be posted here. How would you like it if someone (with the best will in the world) kept pestering you about news/releases ? I know I'd be REALLY annoyed.

Hey NodUnit, just wondering how things are going. Thought i'd post this because no ones said anything for a while.

Currently he's finishing all the pilot cabins, takes care of UV mapping and getting rid of unseen polygons.

When he is happy with it, we gonna see new pics

so just wait

I know its hard;)

I know its hard;)

That's what she said.

Abs

(Sorry...I couldn't help myself.)

Classic schoolboy error ! DON'T ASK HOW THINGS ARE GOING!

If there is news it will be posted here. How would you like it if someone (with the best will in the world) kept pestering you about news/releases ? I know I'd be REALLY annoyed.

:) Wasn't asking for pics or anything, a simple good/bad would be good enough for me

Not trying to be nasty but you gotta learn to be patient. No posts = no news = don't ask.

When coding as something as complicated as this it will take time .... a LOT of time.

Myke;1865735']Honestly' date=' there is not much to see. Ingame it moves like you're used with mouse and i don't have a vid camera to record myself so you could see me using TrackIR. So IMHO a vid is rather pointless as you surely agree.[/quote']

Pointless? onsense, any working example of a theory is better than no example. If I may make a suggestion however, if TIR moves the characters head and is visible from third person (or to those outside) then you should include the head next time to show that the equipment and head are in sync.

Hey NodUnit, just wondering how things are going. Thought i'd post this because no ones said anything for a while. Wasn't asking for pics or anything, a simple good/bad would be good enough for me

I was going to wait until I had picture for the next post after all the banter I did earlier but if you don't mind that then I can give a sort of update sure.

As pure said earlier I was planning on moving things ahead into an early testing phase until I noticed many of my gauges were extruded too far (one of those odd cases of you looking too far into the smaller details that you fail to notice the large and obvious) and the dashboard, this little piece has been my bane for a loooong while now thanks to people and their camera's perspectives and zoom levels. However I think I'm finally happy with it..

At this point not a whole lot remains other than tidying up and tweaks here and there, the biggest portion of the work is to make the low poly cyclic for the delta, tweak the alpha's, create the low poly delta collective, add boresight and adjust standby compass for pilot as well as door arms.

I'm also going back into the cockpits and removing the chamfers from the panels and gauges, thereby cutting their polygon count to around half or more, also removing the silver rings at switches bases which were 3 or 4 circles worth of polygons, both things will later be replaced by normal maps.

As for bumping the topic, I honestly don't mind, it makes me happy to see people still having an interest in the project, but I will say this, the real good stuff is yet to come, the real magic happens when it starts comming to life in the game and believe me when I say there will be much life.

Edited by NodUnit

Pointless? onsense, any working example of a theory is better than no example. If I may make a suggestion however, if TIR moves the characters head and is visible from third person (or to those outside) then you should include the head next time to show that the equipment and head are in sync.

Fair point. I'm not good at taking vids, don't have an eye for good shots. :D

Anyway, the system seems to work as expected (judging by the few feedback i've got), it detects TrackIR/Freetrack and hooks in, else normal mouse control is enabled. I'm about to fine tune/finishing the scripts to make sure it works always as hoped. It will probably be disabled by default, enabling via action menu. I'll also look to get a way to check if there is a dead gunner in the Cobra so pilot will get the chance to take control over the turret. He will not be able to switch it on when flyin alone.

:EDITH:

Once done, if you want i could send you the files along with a "how-to" so you could take a look at it.

We'll see, ultimately it is Franze call what to include since that is all his jurisdiction.

By the way I hope you all don't mind grey/white renders for the next cockpit, I've decided that rather than wasting time getting all the colors right and such to just make the necessary changes then render it at the base, at least there you get to see what is and what isn't there.

EDIT: Forgot about the co pilot so working on that real quick tonight and the polycount is dropping quite nicely.

Edited by NodUnit

@Nod

I think most people here would even appreciate pictures with Justin Bieber as a background! ;)

I feel like back when i was 11 or so and its a week before christmas :bounce3: ( but yes, i know there are still tons of work to do)

I even already made several missions on different maps and different ToD's so when they are out, i can instantly enjoy them! :p

Edited by PurePassion

@Nod

I think most people here would even appreciate pictures with Justin Bieber as a background! ;)

I feel like back when i was 11 or so and its a week before christmas :bounce3: ( but yes, i know there are still tons of work to do)

I even already made several missions on different maps and different ToD's so when they are out, i can instantly enjoy them! :p

Not in my thread. I'm trying to get to the UV'ing phase as quickly as I can but at the same going back and triple checking I haven't forgotten something, left something in or unfinished.

And that sounds good, I hope you will release them as well :)