Sign in to follow this  
nodunit

AH-64 Pack

agreed ' date=' especially to the bold part

good luck , once again[/quote']

looks really good, hope you can get it all in to the engine. Oh and gonna be heck of an unwrap job :)

Hahah yeah, it will certainly be a fun challenge, parts that will be reflective can't be on the same UV as the body to avoid any high specular or reflection effect but I think the greatest challenge will be planning ahead and leaving room for future development on other nations if that happens.

Awesome work !

as for the unwraping it looks like he'll be baking the details on a lower poly model so he can use auto unwraping witch would be a bit easier

Yes and no, for some areas such as say the EFABS edges (right now taking 5-6 to get that nice sharp appearance, an obvious wast eingame) and of course the M230 coil but right now what you see is very much what you will get.

I imagine I'm going to get some flak for this but-

TADS will remain full 3D this includes seeing inside the television optic from certain angles, PNVS will likely retain its nic smoothness, rotors will keep their detail as just about every part will move (no I'm not joking, you'll see arms bending and the swash plate tilting, raising up and down depend on your actions). the holes in the EFABS will remain 3D, to me it doesn't make any sense to do it 2D. APR-39 3D, alot of the M230 3D, I also tried the plates on the nose in both 3D and normal map..normal map just didn't have the same look no matter what I did.

Again what you see right now is very much what you will get for LOD 1 and the reason for that is when you think about it who all will see LOD1? The crew will of course, once the bird is off the ground the rest would only see 2 and beyond, so when the pilot or gunner switches to third person or goes for beauty shots, why not treat them them to it? The people it will attack from afar certainly won't see it so their performance won't heave a great impact and neither will the nearby supports until they zoom into it close enough. Of course this bird certainly won't be appearances only, there will be many functions but I don't want to spoil anything on that.

This is a bird I want to get in game and not have to think about replacing for years down the road, I want something that when you look at it you will feel you are with the real thing inside and out (Oh I can't wait to hear it with that sound pack you sent me Robert :D), a bird that will visually compliment it's functionality and the parts necessary to perform those functions and of course something that will wow the audience.

once more I'd like to extend my thanks, I am glad you all are liking what you see, your enthusiasm and appreciation is helping me keep a strong interest in it, if you think you see a flaw in the model somewhere please don't hesitate to speak up, I want this to be as accurate as possible and there are things I may miss.

Edited by NodUnit

NodUnit, awesome work!

I got even more hyped with your new post.

Cant w8 to see this ingame :D

Nice looking model there mate. Looking forward to see how you will fit it in O2 :)

Awesome work !

as for the unwraping it looks like he'll be baking the details on a lower poly model so he can use auto unwraping witch would be a bit easier

Auo unwrapping? You mean max's? That is anything but realiable for hard surface modelling. Even on organic ones is might end up in crap

That is anything but realiable for hard surface modelling. Even on organic ones is might end up in crap

true :(

well going 3d with every thing might look better so that would be great but you know the AH-64 must be playable(although i dont thing adding more ploys will affect the fps that much) so ,pls keep on the great work ;)

Looks sexy Nod. One question though...Why the steps on the right side of the fuselage? They should be on the left side beneath the catwalk entrance. If you need any help with markings let me know, I paint these for a living.

They are on both sides, I guess I was up too late one night and saw something, or had a reversed picture so I added it to both sides, I'll be sure to remove that though thanks.

For the markings..oh definately, stencils are something I'd love to have on the bird even the smaller ones, at what resolution I don't know though..

When you say you paint these do you mean as in for a certain military as a contractor or within the Boeing company?

Really nice model, blows mine out of the water! :)

That happens when there's no time limits to work with. :)

Keep up the good work, NU.

Abs

They are on both sides, I guess I was up too late one night and saw something, or had a reversed picture so I added it to both sides, I'll be sure to remove that though thanks.

For the markings..oh definately, stencils are something I'd love to have on the bird even the smaller ones, at what resolution I don't know though..

When you say you paint these do you mean as in for a certain military as a contractor or within the Boeing company?

With Boeing

Are the stencils generally the same for each nation? I've seen pictures of the israeli version with english stencils and same on the netherlands, if so why? so I'm a bit curious.

Oh and I have an announcement since it was asked of me. First I'm part of the PR team (at least temporarily) after someone taking interest in the apache, so the apache's will appear in Project Reality (barring incident).

However this does not mean it will not be released as it's own addon, I've made the deal as long as we can still use them for their original intent, and they have said yes, so everything continues as planned.

Edited by NodUnit

We put all the stencils in the same general area for all airframes. Some require us to shift them about because of country markings or special equipment require extra stencils, like the Saudi and UAE birds have their country markings in Arabic and English so we have to shift a couple stencils a bit to fit everything on the tailboom, and the UAE birds have another antenna just right of the L/H engine exhaust so that is an extra stencil.

As to why all marking are in english...im not sure why, probably just has something to do with maintenance/training?

Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have, I would love to give you a hand.

I most certainly will, stencils, even if not readable (I'd hope otherwise but the resolution needed for that might be a bit pushy) is something I would love to include, double for the unique variations between the different nations that might be included.

Rude as this may sound could you PM me some proof by chance before I get my hopes up? Just a cautionary tale, you see a lot of people claiming this and that on the internet and you never know who is genuine without something to show.

Edited by NodUnit

You could put those stencils that are really small (and would be blurred in _co or would require a lot of space in uv map) on a separate alpha texture along with other "alpha" parts of the model. I do so with almost all my vehicles and in my opinion, it doesn't look bad. Then on the other hand there's still the question of section count....

I'm happy to kwow that will be a Non PR version avaliable. Since i wont be using this mod, personal reason's.

Yet, the model and everthing looks awesome. Keep the awesome work Nod.

the block III render looks epic. CMWS, SATCOM, BFT...

also forgot to ask this earlier, you plan on having a version with ASPI?

Edited by islesfan186

I'm not sure I am familiar with ASPI.

Edited by NodUnit

Ah yes, it's one of those cases of 'too lazy haven't gotten around to it yet' but I will be modeling that part, also thank you for the description of the kit, that explains the 'mysterious parts'.

Oops..new page.. I imagine several people are clicking thinking "Oh new update?...oh no he's just yapping again" well don't worry people I'll have another update of some sort soon and it will be using the oh so slender Alpha model.

Edited by NodUnit

If you do a dutch version, will those be equipped with AMASE?