Sign in to follow this  
nodunit

AH-64 Pack

Isn't this the same one as the arma 2 one? Or better? Any difference?

This is totally new one and it is more realistic

It's representing the same thing, but this one is more accurate. Unfortunatly due to my lack of knowledge/skill this is just a prop (no animations for the various symbols). I was tired of the seemingly inaccurate BIS version (although for all I know there's might be a perfect representation of the older style "heads down" display that is modeled in the BIS gunner seat [the thing that looks a bit like binoculars]) this one features about 80% of the symbology that an apache co-pilot would see on his 5x5 MPD in a newer model AH-64.

@nodunit. Model is looking great! Hope your not offended that I'm posting this stuff in your thread. This thing I'm workin on sure as hell dosn't warrant it's own thread, so this seems like a decent home for it.

Edited by SmokeyTheLung

I don't mind it at all, post as you see fit, it's nice to see people extending hands to others so I'm not about to snuff it.

I can't say if I'm the right person to say yes or no on it however, since Franze is the coder it's ultimately his choice, if things work out like we want them to it's likely there will be many animated sections in the ORT/TEDAC display.

It looks great though, I like it..I think the X represents the laser designater which is why you only see it sometimes, recording is only on when the footage is actually being recorded (so naturally you'd see it in every video you watch)

I'll have an update later, after the tail rotor I didn't feel that the body frame finish and engine finishing was enough to warrant (I imagine you guys rather be updated on significant parts or in groups not every little thing), so I'm going to make a few more all round and post it later

Understood.

The image is pieced together from multiple parts (I have a file for each symbol). Theoretically it should be possible to animate the image.

What do you know about the target restraints box? (I think that's the right term, the checkerd box that appears in some fotage). Does it appear when the designator is turned on?

I'm going to remove the part that says "RECORDING," as you pointed out it seems alittle arbitrary.

Hey, nice work so far, but I was wondering if you'll be able to make the rocket pods aim-able like shown in the video shown below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlMvxsYwhGg - skip to 1.30 ish and you see the British Army Apache with CVR7 pods aiming slightly to fire. I'm guessing this is possible with hydra pods as well. Anybody know how much in each xyz you can change the angle of of the pod pointing. It would certainly make it much easier for the gunner to use rocket pods!

@ SmokeyTheLung: This should help you with symbology. http://www.tpub.com/content/ahapache/TM-1-1520-238-10/css/TM-1-1520-238-10_265.htm

According to it "Indicates the required orientation to align the helicopter into constraints for Hellfire missile engagements. When all constraints for the mode of engagement are satisfied, the box will go from ‘dashed’ to ‘solid’" There are also more pages before and after it, be sure to check them with the Back and Next, I'm sure they will give some nice info.

TomatoArden @: you will be happy to know that pylon elevation (both visual and functional) will be on our helicopter AND weapons will be effected, Franze has been working on using a testbed and it worked perfectly..I actually had a schoolgirl moment.

We also tested LOAL and LOBL capabilities and they worked wonderful, was harassing enemy armor from 2.5+ meters and striking with precision from above, they never knew what hit them.

radar range on our longbow will be increased with radar however to be more effective, that and more weapons capable plus agility is going to make this one very deadly bird in one package.

When I say agility I mean something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vELlxOV_PRI around 02:00-04:30 imagine flying around Chernarus 10 meters above ground, maybe less and able to swiftly bank and turn as well as pull up and raise to avoid collision, pilot it as the nap of earth aircraft it was designed for.

Edited by NodUnit

TomatoArden @: you will be happy to know that pylon elevation (both visual and functional) will be on our helicopter AND weapons will be effected, Franze has been working on using a testbed and it worked perfectly..I actually had a schoolgirl moment.

We also tested LOAL and LOBL capabilities and they worked wonderful, was harassing enemy armor from 2.5+ meters and striking with precision from above, they never knew what hit them.

radar range on our longbow will be increased with radar however to be more effective, that and more weapons capable plus agility is going to make this one very deadly bird in one package.

When I say agility I mean something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vELlxOV_PRI around 02:00-04:30 imagine flying around Chernarus 10 meters above ground, maybe less and able to swiftly bank and turn as well as pull up and raise to avoid collision..oh but it gets better..but I can't reveal that yet.

Awesome! But what is LOAB And LOAL? I am not familiar with these acronyms..

EDIT: I checked, know I know. Lock on After Launch, Lock on BEfore Launch. how do you get the LOAL thing to work?

I can't say, I just do the modelling, Franze is the one that does all the coding, he'll have to tell you because I know none of this stuff, I just sit in the cockpit like a child on christmas as I play with the toys.

I mentioned it to him and he will probably answer your question later.

Edited by NodUnit

LOBL and LOAL stand for Lock On Before Launch and Lock On After Launch. It has more to do with a realistic trajectory that the AGM-114 follows rather than the literal meaning; nonetheless, there will be significant difference between the two. LOBL generally has one trajectory where it flies up at a certain angle to a certain altitude, then dives down on the target. LOBL uses a relatively shallow angle and altitude. LOAL comes in three different modes: Direct, High, and Low. Direct functions more like LOBL's trajectory, while High climbs at a sharp angle to a high altitude before lofting and scanning for the target, while Low climbs at a steep angle but goes to a lower altitude than High. All these modes are used for shooting over obstacles and with or without separate guidance data.

I'll delve into those systems more as they become practical to speak about rather than simple examples. The test systems use vector commands.

@SmokeyTheLung

The symbology looks good, accurate for our purposes. I believe the boxes with the broken lines may be missile seeker constraints but I have no way to be sure. The data NodUnit posted relates to the AH-64A, which is probably not accurate for the newer TEDAC and M-TADS. It should be correct for Block I and II Deltas with the ORT, but the newer Block III and Block IIs with TEDAC may have a completely different setup altogether. Most of it is probably still heavily classified.

@NoRailgunner

I can't really say for certain here because I haven't gone far enough into the scripting to see what we can do versus what we want to do. I will say that in theory it's possible to allow the pilot to slave the gun to his head motion, but actual firing would have to use the manual fire command. Having the gunner with the flight controls would be a little more involved so I'll say for that, I don't think we can do it without major scripting overhead. I'd like to add that piloting and gunning are separate in the helicopter for a reason, and that the dual controls for weapons and flight are for redundancy only. Trying to look at a target to track with the gun while flying tends to make for a pretty high workload.

Ok, kind of lost my chain of thought right now, so if I missed any questions you can bring them up again and I'll try to answer them.

this is my new favorite most looking forward to addon, thanks for the hardwork NodUnit, this is amazing.

okay lets try that again..

Todays update details! For those of you interested in the text the update is as follows-

Engine shroud vents are 3D

Details added around engines

Access panels on nose are now 3D

A notch has been cut in the engine to represent the gap between the door.

Maintinence handles have been added all over

Chaff and Flare dispenser

PNVS, TADS and entire nose section adjusted in size

Sensor added just above TADS

Wire cutter added above TADS

Sensors added on sides of the upper intake

Sensors added to body

Discooooooo Baaaaall!

Doors with bubble glass added and have slight differences in shape and diameter

Main rotor assembly further detailed, arms now lead into the helicopter

Rotor joints adjusted in some size in thickness

Canopy wiper guard added to ready further detailing (wink)

Door supports added to the back

Body welded with upper intake.

Don't mind the lighting on the doors, I was trying to save some polies by welding vertices and a few nasty lighting errors popped up so I'll just keep it next time..

Also do you guys think I should keep what might be the color for the helicopter for the renders or should I go back to silver for the renders?

det3-800x600.jpg

Frontdet800x600.jpg

det2800x600.jpg

Det1-800x600.jpg

det-3.jpg

For those of you interested there are some 2048x1536 renders here. http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Model%20work/AH-64D/Work%20In%20Progress/?start=20

great effort pall

That was a troll post, right? :p

Looking fantastic.

fuhjftygyjukjhghjgjuuiiui.........................................

That is rather spiffing.... Good job old bean.

Ha ha, keep it..though I will probably set it up on turbosquid and other websites just to beat any conceited people with intentions on taking advantage of others...though I doubt that will happen since I'm not popular ^^

I had some trouble sleeping, stayed up, played some games but felt the itch..so for those of you that like the slender of the two sisters this one is for you.

No high res renders this time, I'm going to halt that until things are complete..It's not yet finished, some parts are missing/need to be remade or adjusted to fit the A model such as the pylons but it should give a nice idea..

Alpha1.jpg

Alpha5.jpg

Alpha2.jpg

Alpha4.jpg

Alpha6.jpg

Edited by NodUnit

Reached the image limit so new post.

and one for the rotorheads Arot1.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I think knowing that people are enjoying and looking forward to your work helps to fuel the desire to work on a project more..at least in this case it seems to.

The attention to details alone is breathtaking. Fantastic work! :)

Sorry BIS step aside there's a new sheriff in town :D Bloody nice work love the "A" model...Different load outs is a must for this bird, stingers would be nice too... Again configi thingi maybe? Gonna watch Firebirds now :)

Edited by SGT_SAVAGE

Different loadouts are a must for every Franze based main aircraft, everything has had it at this point it would be heresy to not include it :) Stingers will be included but they will be optional rather than default.

Ah firebirds, some nice apache footage in that movie.

Edited by NodUnit

i feel scared by it even though its only a model :P jk thats one amazing piece of work

@Franze. Can you give me a sense of the resolution that the TADS reticle should be? 1080 is the highest res supported, I think, so should it be in that range?