Sign in to follow this  
craig.turner

Project Reality - WIP Discussion

Obviously disabled on the PR servers, but did you actually go as far as disabling it on the mod level? Because I think that's quite a waste of time, considering how easy it is to disable it with server difficulty settings. Same like ACE disabling crosshairs - Mostly useless since people who want to play realistically and without crosshairs already disable them on their servers via difficulty settings.

Just wondering - PR servers will be public or passworded?

I thought the whole point was to make public PvP become playable and interesting? So unless I completely misunderstood, it's public.

saw the recording session. Brilliant work guys. Looks like a real labor of love. Why was BIA there? Are they also doing a Brit mod?

Obviously disabled on the PR servers, but did you actually go as far as disabling it on the mod level? Because I think that's quite a waste of time, considering how easy it is to disable it with server difficulty settings. Same like ACE disabling crosshairs - Mostly useless since people who want to play realistically and without crosshairs already disable them on their servers via difficulty settings.

That's what I was thinking, to be honest.

saw the recording session. Brilliant work guys. Looks like a real labor of love. Why was BIA there? Are they also doing a Brit mod?

Yeah, I believe it's called VBS2.

Lord love a duck..a couple of aesthetic questions....

"Sounds": One thing that has always irked me with ArmA2 is the muted sound. Possibly they are emulating wearing hearing protectors..don't know..but I do know that high powered weapons are a hell of a lot louder than paint guns. Will PR:ArmA2 add more volume to the small arms and heavy weapons sounds (without actually puncturing ear drums of course)?

"Impacts" : Again bullet impacts resemble paintball/air soft impacts rather than high powered projectiles which should be spraying water at least 8' into the air. They should be kicking up so much dust that after a few rounds the target can be obliterated by the dust (unless you're shooting into soft , wet sod :p).

Any comments on these visual but not game stopping "realism" aspects?

- The PR team is looking into its own Radio system:

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f380-project-reality-news/78655-pr-arma2-highlights-reel-1-a.html

"PR Exclusive - TS3 Plugin (Using British Bowman Radio Models)"

not sure how "acre" works, but yeah.

I understand you understand how ACRE works, basically everyone has a short range radio for squad comms, while the RTOs and pilots have a long range radio so they can call in CAS missions,extracts, and coordinate attacks between two grounds units that are out of range for the short range, and then you have 3D sound. I'm not sure of the exact ranges of each radio somebody else will have to fill in the blanks there, but 3D sound pretty much is talking to a person directly without the use of a radio and when the shooting starts you have to pretty much yell to be heard on 3D sound. Oh and terrain also effects radio comms as well so if you're getting interference you go up to high ground for comms.

Will the PR system work just like this? Or will it have some major improvements?

Edited by Big Mac

I understand you understand how ACRE works, basically everyone has a short range radio, while the RTOs and pilots have a long range radio, and then you have 3D sound. I'm not sure of the exact ranges of each radio somebody else will have to fill in the blanks there, but 3D sound pretty much is talking to a person directly without the use of a radio and when the shooting starts you have to pretty much yell to be heard on 3D sound.

Will the PR system work just like this? Or will have some major or minor changes?

No idea frankly as i haven't used it yet. The only public info about it is in the link i posted

Every soldier has short range capability and direct 3d sound,but they need a radio or vehicle for long range. The plan is to have a Personal Role Radio(PRR ) for the short range radio and a PRC 325 (HF) for the long range radio.

Which from your description of ACRE, does sound similar.

Edited by gazzthompson

Every soldier has short range capability and direct 3d sound,but they need a radio or vehicle for long range. The plan is to have a Personal Role Radio(PRR ) for the short range radio and a PRC 325 (HF) for the long range radio.
From this which you've posted it sounds like this will be an improvement, since as far as I know ACRE doesn't have the ability for you to use vehicles for long range comms, so it'll be interesting to see how it works.

UK_Force;1723686']Hopefully that clears a few things up now.

Thank for the candid and detailed answer. Appreciated.

Sorry about the quotes' date=' as the question was basically directed at you I thought you'd know they were your text and where it came from.

Your grasp of the English language amuses me. :D

...... simply trolling for an arguement! :)

Yep, theres another one ..... :j:

"Sounds": One thing that has always irked me with ArmA2 is the muted sound. Possibly they are emulating wearing hearing protectors..don't know..but I do know that high powered weapons are a hell of a lot louder than paint guns. Will PR:ArmA2 add more volume to the small arms and heavy weapons sounds (without actually puncturing ear drums of course)?

Yes we are working on the game sound balancing (overall lowering of main sound, and then tweak these firing sounds up, to give a more realistic balance) , ie when you fire - you will jump from the sound, not sure how much will make v0.1 though.

I also managed to get the team onto the ranges to record:

CR2 Firing

Chain Gun Firing

GPMG Firing

30mm Rardon Cannon firing

Ala:

http://prsoundtrip.blogspot.com/

You need to find the video clip from the night firing I took the team too, its one of the "older" blogs, in there.

"Impacts" : Again bullet impacts resemble paintball/air soft impacts rather than high powered projectiles which should be spraying water at least 8' into the air. They should be kicking up so much dust that after a few rounds the target can be obliterated by the dust (unless you're shooting into soft , wet sod :p).

Yep we are on it, and have something in mind which will cover this, not going to say too much here as we need to tie in a few things first, but will let you know when we can.

Edited by Craig.Turner

From this which you've posted it sounds like this will be an improvement, since as far as I know ACRE doesn't have the ability for you to use vehicles for long range comms...

Yes you can ;)

Vehicles allow you to select the "Power Amp" mode for the radios. It increases radio ranges by a fairly large margin. And is a pretty nifty feature too. :D

a question, exists the possibility of making maps but small, but that are of the quality of korengal valley in bf2. I like that map: d

Something like that is possible. But I think we like our battlefields slightly larger in ArmA ;)

Yes you can ;)

Vehicles allow you to select the "Power Amp" mode for the radios. It increases radio ranges by a fairly large margin. And is a pretty nifty feature too. :D

Well I just learned something new today. Thanks for letting me know that. ;)

Well I just learned something new today. Thanks for letting me know that. ;)

Anytime. Thats what I am here for :cool:

I've managed to read most of this thread... the one thing that springs out to me is...the apparent assumed isolation of each community.

This is simply not the case. I know for a fact there are many like me who enjoy both games, and have done so for years. I'm just bemused by the division many seem to see. Both games enjoy and benefit from the same player base.. we all enjoy 'realistic' fps games, and will continue to do so.

Long live Arma with its diversity of addons & mods & long live PR with is focus on PvP teamwork 'all in one' approach. What a happy collective they will make. Choice for all wants. :)

Edited by MadTommy

Long live Arma with its diversity of addons & mods & long live PR with is focus on PvP teamwork 'all in one' approach.

Repent the end is nigh! For ArmA hath returned with a vengence thou halth not seen! Rounds will be fired, points will be captured, and girlfriends ignored!

:D

AKA: What he said. Its a perfect match up imho. Like peas and carrots

i know its a few pages back but thanks for answering my question guys

looking foward to release :)

UK_Force;1723939']Yes we are working on the game sound balancing (overall lowering of main sound' date=' and then tweak these firing sounds up, to give a more realistic balance) , ie when you fire - you will jump from the sound, not sure how much will make v0.1 though.[/quote']

I hope your not going to make this too realistic as I still remember being on a range and not putting my ear defenders down in time for someone firing next to me. My inner ear still shreaks at the mere thought of it...though on saying that I still have them, so could pop them on while playing, the wife would simply think I had some new green colored headsets! :)

Edited by Ratcatcher722

Uk Force did yu manage to put some weapon animations into the mod? or you gonna leave this for the future?

I cant wait for this mod!!! :D

what do you mean by 'weapon animations'?

I'm guessing, reloads, belts moving stuff like that. And to answer the questions "..........NICE!"

Hope that helps :)

I hope your not going to make this too realistic as I still remember being on a range and not putting my ear defenders down in time for someone firing next to me. My inner ear still shreaks at the mere thought of it...though on saying that I still have them, so could pop them on while playing, the wife would simply think I had some new green colored headsets! :)

I think that, like he said, overall sound will be toned down rather than blasting your ears up with gunfire sounds.