What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?

• The weapon sounds!
    • The vehicle sounds!
    • Environmental sounds!
    • Explosions, Soniccracks, Bullethits, the sound of danger!
    • The script features like the "distance sounds"!
    • Everything combined! The whole Mod itself is important.

Great sound mod, really boost immersion a lot.

I've got several errors logged into my server's rpt though and, while it doesnt affect playbility, I just don't like to have spam there.

Cannot load sound 'jsrs_gp25\gp25_reload.wss'

Cannot load sound 'jsrs_grenade\reload.wss'

Cannot load sound 'jsrs_m107\reload.wss'

Cannot load sound 'jsrs_m136\reload.wss'

Cannot load sound 'jsrs_m203\m203_reload.wss'

Cannot load sound 'jsrs_m2hmg\reload.wss'

Cannot load sound 'jsrs_m4a1\reload.wss'

Cannot load sound 'jsrs_m4a3\reload.wss'

Cannot load sound 'jsrs_mk19\reload.wss'

Cannot load sound 'jsrs_scar_l\reload.wss'

Cannot load sound 'jsrs_smoke\reload.wss'

Am I missing some files on the server?

Its an Arma 2 Netcode error, those sounds are there, but the game will report these errors anyways. You will get this with all soundmods that change reloading sounds.

The sound sample limit is really odd in A2. That's sad really. Isn't there a way to go past it?

Anyway, I don't know can say3D work from cpp files, but, if you do find a way to use this for explosions, you can try this (a very simplified tutorial):

Add explosion sound file to an explosion, this is original. Then, if you use some in-game effects, add Lowpass filtration to the original file (in-game, rendered live) and on top of that, maybe add some cheap delay. After you have this kind of sound file pre-rendered in-game you can use "Triangle" shape with 3 objects surrounding the explosion with the modified sound and doing say3D, those objects can be attached with attachTo command to the original explosion, in addition the 3 points of the triangle would delay their playback 0.2 seconds to sync with the original file (and not run in front of it) You can later cook a script to move the triangle object further, or closer, adding some dynamic play to it, also pitching, etc, via SFX class.

If you want to use pre-recorded files. Try this. Use original explosion sound (for in-game explosion) then in audio editor apply some quality lowpassfiltering, damping, echo, and highpass filtering, also lower the file volume to 20%, after that, export both files (original and modified) as mono, except that you can compress the modified damping file completely so that it doesn't eat up loads of ram memory. Once you got the two files, you can either create the "triangle" as described above or a "square" to simulate 4.1 surround sound live.

I thought you coded some additional dll's and custom filters for the mod and made the game use those completely. It's only now clear how so much work you put into the mod by using the super limited sound engine of A2.

Like pushing an ice cube through a straw...Kudos to you and all involved :j:

Here's a demo, actually it was a mission I made for testing, back when I was learning how AI waypoints work and how to detect dead or alive units. I just added explosion with damping to it.

It's simple, shoot the AT shell from where you spawn at the armor in front (around 1000 m far) then hold for 10 seconds, or move after the shot and alarm will trigger, then AI will appear.

It's a SP mission file. Made it as a testing playground for USMC Tag Em Dead mission I plan to make once my MVD pack is released.

Audio Test

Well that is pretty nice. I can see how much objects you placed just to get the effect that decent. Its nice though but not usable for me. Since I dont believe there is a decent way to place a triangle around an object that got destroyed. Also, to receive this effect, the objects playing the damping samples need to be at least around the player to give the best result. I just dont see any way to use this in JSRS sadly, still its perfect for missions building and immersion. Thanks for sharing btw.

And about that sample rate, I think you cant do anything about that since its engine limited. But all in all I can handle 128 samples pretty well already and its not that much of a disadvantage for me anymore.

LJ

You could upload it to the "Editor & Scripting" thread as a seperate addon/script for players to load up along side JSRS MOD ?? Just a thought...

It's not actually a script, more of a trick on how to use some already available resources and achieve something neat. Maybe I can create a tutorial there when i have more free time.

nice demo, btw could you say, wheres that flute sample from? Kinda love the melody.

The song is Icone - Sorrow (UpLift Remix) and the flute starts at 2:22, take a look at my previous comments, I already listed that (and few other similar songs to it) after I heard LJ's JSRS mod intro music from the 1st video.

Its an Arma 2 Netcode error, those sounds are there, but the game will report these errors anyways. You will get this with all soundmods that change reloading sounds.

Well that is pretty nice. I can see how much objects you placed just to get the effect that decent. Its nice though but not usable for me. Since I dont believe there is a decent way to place a triangle around an object that got destroyed. Also, to receive this effect, the objects playing the damping samples need to be at least around the player to give the best result. I just dont see any way to use this in JSRS sadly, still its perfect for missions building and immersion. Thanks for sharing btw.

And about that sample rate, I think you cant do anything about that since its engine limited. But all in all I can handle 128 samples pretty well already and its not that much of a disadvantage for me anymore.

LJ

It sounds like it. Perhaps ArmA 3 will bring more functionality to the sound engine part :)

Will you port JSRS to A3?

128 samples is actually very good amount, MOH 2010 uses at least 64 to 96 to play all those amazing sound effects (with OpenAL and EAX included) but ArmA 2 is a big game, there's a lot of things going on around. Maybe someday BI can patch things or at least improve this in A3 as gaming hardware gets more advanced.

Got it, thanks for the explanation LordJarhead.

so long time wait for new jsrs:(:j:

It will be worth it. LJ is working as hard as he can to deliver you JSRS ASAP.

He has released the next Update for us to test

@Maven, your distant firefight is in the making^^

it will be the same as last time but with new sounds.

EDIT. Oh Yeah, here is a short summary of the Update:

Holy fucking shit! That sounds EPIC

Edited by Tonci87

It will be worth it. LJ is working as hard as he can to deliver you JSRS ASAP.

He has released the next Update for us to test

@Maven, your distant firefight is in the making^^

it will be the same as last time but with new sounds.

EDIT. Oh Yeah, here is a short summary of the Update:

Holy fucking shit! That sounds EPIC

Popcorn, beer, helmet and kevlar ready :cool: I bet that stuff be cinematic and surreal :eek:

Popcorn, beer, helmet and kevlar ready :cool: I bet that stuff be cinematic and surreal :eek:

Well you´ll have to wait until the evening :)

If I could suggest a video sample of these new sounds, could you do a completely intense infantry fire fight again, but with a few vehicles thrown in please..? Bullets ricocheting off plate armour etc..?

No probs if not man...

OK plan for videos:

1. Distant Firefight

2. A why you should play with JSRS special (still have to think about it)

3. Intense Firefight, maybe one of the included scenarios

One reason to play with JSRS for me gameplay-wise is that I can use my hearing to figure out where both friendlies and enemies are in the game world. The sounds also make it possible for me to shout correct enemy positions to my teammates without picking up the compass.

Also the vehicle sounds etc makes it easier to "feel"/hear where you are in the arma world space.

This is with a 7.1 headset. Corsair Vengeance 1500, very clean studio like sound with those so JSRS is absolutely AMAZING! :)

Could be something to try and show in a video if you are able.

Hoping for a Christmas release, will be in doing basic training from late january. :)

Edited by AndroidSpawn

Aha,

I might found a decent way to work around that overlapping sounds. We gotta work on that, but I'm sure it'll work out better than what we have now...

Christman, next monday? Hmm... we got at least two weeks of work still, even more maybe. I know, it sucks, but there are some tiny little pieces to fix. I really work hard on this. I have now three weeks of vacation, so its already an 30 hours week just for the mod :S

LJ

Aha,

I might found a decent way to work around that overlapping sounds. We gotta work on that, but I'm sure it'll work out better than what we have now...

Christman, next monday? Hmm... we got at least two weeks of work still, even more maybe. I know, it sucks, but there are some tiny little pieces to fix. I really work hard on this. I have now three weeks of vacation, so its already an 30 hours week just for the mod :S

LJ

Take your time, and remember to relax and enjoy the christmas. You don't owe nobody here anything ;)

Uh, if they don't allow CBA they probably don't allow anything, so what's the problem?

Yeah its kinda ironic, because they actually allow other addons, even JSRS, that needs CBA to work properly.

Anyway, still wrong choice of words: There are many servers that dont accept it because there are a bazillion different versions out and every server uses a different one, so even if you have all of those installed, its impossible to find the one that is allowed on the server. To me many admins seem to be very confused about CBA, not knowing what to install themselves. Not that I can blame them.

Take your time, and remember to relax and enjoy the christmas. You don't owe nobody here anything ;)

+1

Dennis, I say for people crying about how long it's taking--how about we send them the configs and scripts to work on. Then we'll see how quickly they go from cry babies to "holy shit, I can't believe you do this stuff!". :P

Yeah its kinda ironic, because they actually allow other addons, even JSRS, that needs CBA to work properly.

Anyway, still wrong choice of words: There are many servers that dont accept it because there are a bazillion different versions out and every server uses a different one, so even if you have all of those installed, its impossible to find the one that is allowed on the server. To me many admins seem to be very confused about CBA, not knowing what to install themselves. Not that I can blame them.

I don't see what is so complicated about keeping mods updated. Sounds like lazy/careless admins to me.

+1

Dennis, I say for people crying about how long it's taking--how about we send them the configs and scripts to work on. Then we'll see how quickly they go from cry babies to "holy shit, I can't believe you do this stuff!". :P

Hehehe, lol ;) Owned.

I don't see what is so complicated about keeping mods updated. Sounds like lazy/careless admins to me.

Totally agree with you here! JSRS needs CBA still, but we wont spawn the dummy vehicle anymore, that caused some trouble here and there for some not obviously reasons. So we saved some recourses here. Wasted them with around 800 new sounds again but what the hell :P

Well I can say that JSRS needs CBA like ACE needs CBA. And I cant understand why people still don't use SixUpdate these days. It cant be any easier I guess.

My opinion, dont wanna step those "lazy" admins on their feet ;)

LJ

Absolutely. Take your time, LordJarhead. :)

Just for the waiting time:

Do not quote videos!!

LJ

Thanks for sharing LJ :D

Really good video, realistic.

One does not simply stay still when a projectile buzzes by :butbut:

Edited by Foxhound
removed quoted video

Thanks for sharing LJ :D

Really good video, realistic.

One does not simply stay still when a projectile buzzes by :butbut:

Nope, he shouldn't :) Cant be healthy, hehe.

LJ