Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

CM Operation Flashpoint 3 announced | "Oops, they're doing it again..."

So we already can be sure what the gameplay will look like: Endless hordes of super dumb AI trying to kill you, and you have to gun them all down......

Yeah, one of my favorite episodes of theirs. :D

"Fuck this, let's go play Arma 2. Island Twilight here we come." - Pudd'n

While I have never played FPDR, have no intention of playing FPDR, and think FPDR looks FPDR, I do think that there is ONE thing that codemasters does better than BI studios (God bless them). And that's having a good premise for the game

So in Dragon rising and Red River I hear that the USA is fighting China in the Pacific ocean and Central Asia... Hey - That's interesting! That sounds like a good conflict that I wanna play! Kinda reminds me of fighing renegade russians in the baltic sea - it makes for a good game

You just don't get the same satisfaction from toppling banana regimes and defeating farmers with pitchforks. I think you need a real enemy - like Russia or China

ONE thing that codemasters does better ... And that's having a good premise for the game

ok...

So in Dragon rising and Red River I hear that the USA is fighting China in the Pacific ocean and Central Asia...

And there you lose. The US is fighting China at Russias request over oil.

Premise doesnt get any more retarded than that...

I would have thought russia could handle their own problems :P

I would have thought russia could handle their own problems :P

Russian army was busy evacuating civilians and farm animals.

hah! DM, I bet my left arse cheek that if BI had come up with the same idea you would be all like "OMG brilliant" ;)

Now I liked ARMA 2 - they did something different and I respect that

But i tried to play the campaign for the second time recently, and I just couldn't. Cpt Shaftoe was just too laid back - he'd be all like "Hey Razor team - man i have some FUN objectives for you! Oh no rush! do them in your own time. It's not like we have SECHEDULES in the army or anything." and then you were released into the big wild world to do whatever the hell you liked on your own time. Whole game was like a scenic tour. I prefer OFP where you have a boss breathing down your neck saying destroy that shilka! Take that hill! Defend that hot-dog stand! Not only was it more realistic (for a grunt) it was more fun.

The objectives in ARMA 2 ranged from things like searching houses and shooting farmers with pisols. I think playing the entire campaign (on expert) i saw 1 x T-72 and 5 russians - All other baddies were hicks with guns and Chedaki toasting marshmallows over the campfire. Never once were there any smartly executed ambushes or grand battles like in OFP. You were just a dude in an open world with some baddies standing around doing nothing. It was always 4 guys sitting on a hill scratching their bottoms.

I got my revenge in the editor however... :D Thats 100% of the reason why i liked ARMA 2. the campaign was so-so

Edited by smeg head

I got my revenge in the editor however... :D Thats 100% of the reason why i liked ARMA 2. the campaign was so-so

You an 90%+ of Arma players.

-----------------

Very brief side note..off topic an all that...just browsing Steam Store, had a look at Arma 2..."Arma 2 thrusts gamers into the heart of the most realistic military combat simulation ever developed"

Then again...that Gabe, he's got shifty eyes. :D

Edited by Bascule42

hah! DM, I bet my left arse cheek that if BI had come up with the same idea you would be all like "OMG brilliant" ;)

Now I liked ARMA 2 - they did something different and I respect that

But i tried to play the campaign for the second time recently, and I just couldn't. Cpt Shaftoe was just too laid back - he'd be all like "Hey Razor team - man i have some FUN objectives for you! Oh no rush! do them in your own time. It's not like we have SECHEDULES in the army or anything." and then you were released into the big wild world to do whatever the hell you liked on your own time. Whole game was like a scenic tour. I prefer OFP where you have a boss breathing down your neck saying destroy that shilka! Take that hill! Defend that hot-dog stand! Not only was it more realistic (for a grunt) it was more fun.

The objectives in ARMA 2 ranged from things like searching houses and shooting farmers with pisols. I think playing the entire campaign (on expert) i saw 1 x T-72 and 5 russians - All other baddies were hicks with guns and Chedaki toasting marshmallows over the campfire. Never once were there any smartly executed ambushes or grand battles like in OFP. You were just a dude in an open world with some baddies standing around doing nothing. It was always 4 guys sitting on a hill scratching their bottoms.

Haha that made my day. And i agree about that Razor-team-super-heros-that-can't-die boring campaign.:dozingoff:

Well that is a good point, one of the things that made Operation Flashpoint great is the fact that it was two equally powerful and trained military factions fighting, and there were at times lose lose scenerio's, sometimes you have no choice but to fall back, I'd love to see that dynamic again...real world military you don't always win and just because you fail doesn't mean things don't advance.

And your superiors always put you in your place, even when Armstrong suggest that they go back to Everon to help the locals the colone, with some human emotion, said basicly "nice as that is we have to look out for ourselves first"..why can't we have anymore of that.

Edited by NodUnit

If BI ever come up with the retarded idea of US fighting China at Russias request I will not buy that game for sure, and DR campaign level design is rubbish as well, but oh well, what could you expect when the AI is just as retarded as the story plot?

Edited by 4 IN 1

Cross fingers that BIS are not going to turn the Armaverse into a more "accessible" action-game!

Until now, it didn't happen and I doubt it will. I hope also that BIS turns back in path and will surprise us with a campaign CWC like. not only the plot was awesome but the campaign included 40 missions. I just couldn't stop playing it was too addicting . . . when it came out. Now I played DR only one afternoon after it's release and playing through the campaign everything felt out of place for me. What bugged me the most was the spawning enemy thing due to the entity limits it had. It was inferior to the original OFP. Skira felt really empty to me. I was just "WTF".:confused:

But in the end it's just a matter of personal taste. A simple preference and my choice, which game I like most.

BIS games are this way, or you are totally in love with it, or you prefer to play something else. The concept of the BIS series is just such a huge thing. I believe there's still lot's of things wich can be done or improved. I have never found such a vast possibility of choice how to play ArmA in any other wargame. The other side of this absolute freedom is having problems all over the place. From gameplay problems to hardware problems . . . whatsoever. I can live with some flaws in the game design. Fact is that the quality control before releasing a game lacked the neccessary attention in the ArmA II release. Given the games concept I believe you could test for a lifetime and you will always discover some flaws. That is the nature of this game and it is far from perfect and your choice is to accept that or leave it and play something else.:D

I know one thing though, the more I play ArmA CO the more I love it. Most people are unable to catch the real spirit of ArmA and all the people who are capable to catch it . . . they are all here. Some of us for 9 long years.

The BIS community is strong because it's the most creative community I've ever been part of.:yay:

Just my 2 cents

Stick around.

Until now, it didn't happen and I doubt it will. I hope also that BIS turns back in path and will surprise us with a campaign CWC like. not only the plot was awesome but the campaign included 40 missions. I just couldn't stop playing it was too addicting . . . when it came out.

I think the campaign length of OFP might have been due to the long development time, recall the post given way back, 10 years went into the project.

But yes I agree, I'd love to see it but OFP had many many elements, the pacing was excellent was you worked your way up you werent rushed, you had dozens of missions in vehicles and whatnot so you got a nice feel and settled into them rather than now you're in a tank, now you're on foot and now you're in a helicopter, while that is fun it takes away something. And again, more human characters please, less laid back but not so much head up ones own bottom, Colonel Blake was an excellent example of a high brass who felt human.

Yeah I'm sure some of you are tired of that same speech over and over by now but can you really deny it?

This James Nicholls guy is the only one I actually see posting in CM's forum regually. He's down to earth saying they've had bugs here and there, he tells us whats going on. etc etc

The rest of the dev team seem to post trivial things.. like sion/tim.

I mean, he goes to the detail of explaing what went wrong in DR, why they did that, and what they're planning to do.

See this post.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/6512852-post29.html

Here he explains why the AI can't aim for sh*t. lol

It makes sense, but shouldn't have been in hardcore. >_<

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

On another note, a familiar thread from way back just popped back up.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/operation-flashpoint-dragon-rising-game-pc-113/398393-dedicated-server-support-achieved.html

hah! DM, I bet my left arse cheek that if BI had come up with the same idea you would be all like "OMG brilliant"

Nope.

I talk semi-regularly with some of the mission designers, and they will tell you I give no quater when it comes to crappy mission design/story decisions. ;)

Edited by DM

This James Nicholls guy is the only one I actually see posting in CM's forum regually. He's down to earth saying they've had bugs here and there, he tells us whats going on. etc etc

The rest of the dev team seem to post trivial things.. like sion/tim.

I mean, he goes to the detail of explaing what went wrong in DR, why they did that, and what they're planning to do.

See this post.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/6512852-post29.html

Here he explains why the AI can't aim for sh*t. lol

It makes sense, but shouldn't have been in hardcore. >_<

I think the original OFP got around that problem by showing you who shot you after you died.... instead of, you know, ballsing up the weapons and AI.

I remember that CM wasnt allowed to use Operation Flashpoint 2 as that implied a sequel, which it wasnt, and thats why they came up with Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. What happened to that considering the number 3 in RR? Just wondering.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/28/codies-new-operation-flashpoint-not-a-sequel-original-dev-in/

Sorry to bring this up again but Im really curious.

Sorry to bring this up again but Im really curious.

Well, as I recall they DID make a number two:

so_poo.jpg

:rolleyes:

I think the original OFP got around that problem by showing you who shot you after you died.... instead of, you know, ballsing up the weapons and AI.

+ moebius.

The issues we had with Dragon Rising were to do with fairness, really, some of which was exposed from play testing and focus testing. The fluid nature of the combat is welcome, of course, but problems arise when players basically feel like they died randomly - no idea why they were shot, what they did wrong, or what they should do differently.

In other words, the testers were whingy pricks who had the AI replaced with fluffy rabbits because they copped it sweet the first time they tried to run directly into effective fire.

No idea why they were shot? I dunno, maybe they were wearing the opposing army's uniform? Did they have their white flags out? :rolleyes:

+ moebius.

In other words, the testers were whingy pricks who had the AI replaced with fluffy rabbits because they copped it sweet the first time they tried to run directly into effective fire.

No idea why they were shot? I dunno, maybe they were wearing the opposing army's uniform? Did they have their white flags out? :rolleyes:

LMFAO, really a good one. My thoughts were exactly the same although not as well phrased as yours. FPDR <-- to the CM testers