Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

CM Operation Flashpoint 3 announced | "Oops, they're doing it again..."

Dragon Rising wasn't realistic enough to be a good milsim game and wasn't action packed and spectacular enough to be a good action shooter it was mediocre in all aspects and I guess that's why it failed hard, because CM tried to appeal to everyone but in the end they appealed to no one.

From what we heard and saw so far Red River is either going to make the same mistake or the whole "as realistic as possible" claim is just pretense and they just copied CoD/MOH/BF all the way this time.

that doesn't make OFP : RR a good game. I prefer ArmA2 as it is now than RR with the best damaging system in the world (which is far from being the case !)

I agree.

Edited by BlackLord

Its just weird. They dedicate trailers to sweet talking Marines, how tough they are etc, and then they proceed to call them soldiers?

After veiwing all the latest Red River gameplay footage that has been posted today I have to admit that it looks much better than I was expecting.

No doubt there won't be any fanatical Codemasters supporters found on this forum but to be truly honest I think Red River is going to be a big selling game.

I'll give them credit for one thing, it's a hell of a lot better than all the latest Ghost Recon/MOH/COD etc. shyte.

Well they can only improve after the fail that DR was and yes judging by the first media it definatly looks better now.

If it will be a big seller... well see, hopefully most are bit sceptical after the DR desaster and try before they buy...

But if the past told me anything then that with good marketing people will buy everything be it Call of Duty XX or a tiny map pack for 15$

Majority is just dumb as a log these days it seems.

Bring on the RR demo and if its good i consider buying it however as A2 pretty much has all i need so far and looks better that is rather unlikely.

Ghost Recon is doomed. Cloaks? Re-used plots? WTF?

COD is doomed. M16A1s with removable carrying handles? FAMAS, Kobra optics, Steyr AUG, and SPAS-12 in 1960s? x2 WTF?

Its just weird. They dedicate trailers to sweet talking Marines, how tough they are etc, and then they proceed to call them soldiers?

USMC = Best soldiers

USAF = Best sailors

I rage quit their forums, spent way too long being hyped up by those morons. Everyone there is delusional. They think RR will be decent...

God, they model their weapons from airsoft guns for christs sake!

Thanks for that......

Anyway, That recoil. Err, It looks too. Faked, Overdone.

If the game ends up having an 8 hour campaign for us to play through it, What is there of it? Oh, And it appears RR has only 8 FTE missions, too. Not sure if that is true though.

I'm going to guess those numbers are either in-progress number of missions, or just how long it would take a few press guys to blitz through the campaign without doing anything other than primaries.

Its funny how Templar managed to point out a few bugs in the videos already... They better have a good, reliable and truthfull beta testing team that doesn't just want to beta test for fun. If they even have one. :rolleyes:

I thought a marine was a soldier (generic term) while a soldier isn't necessarily a marine (a specific soldier from a given corps).

Anyone in a fighting role in any army is "a soldier", from an angry sword and sandal greek to future battleshock 2126 uber star command warrior.

If the radio protocol calls them "soldier" in game, that's another story, but for general purpose press talks, I think this is hair splitting/nitpicking for sake of it.

Then again I'm not American (or should I say a US citizen to be exact ?) so maybe I don't feel as horrified when I see a Brit insulting a "Marine" by calling him a "soldier".

On the game, I actually couldn't care less about the factual accuracy provided the gameplay is good, it looks decent and the features are there : freedom, scale, variety. Sadly though, it doesn't seem to be so.

It's very hard to make a story driven cinematic experience in a sandbox universe. Even BIS has a very hard time pulling it off despite their expertise (PMC might be their come-back ?). CM just chose to scrap part of the sandbox part altogether to simplify the equation. That's sad but understandable in front of the success of modern rail shooters.

They went for a Left 4 Dead coop style with a ghost-recon/battlefield look. Fair enough. I've seen far worse. I dislike their bragging of "authenticity" and being "part of the series" as much as anyone else, but most of the comments really seem disproportionate.

The OFP we loved is now called ARMA, there's no going back and it won't change. Let's just hope RR can be an entertaining game and even moderately successful, at least enough to prove there's a market for more opened and tactical games. The failure of DR was deserved but was nothing to cheer about. It only makes stuff we like more "niche".

Hell Yeah...

Last time there was OFPDR, we got FLIR in Arma 2 as a consequence... I wonder what BIS will be cooking for us this time...

No wonder though : with all what they promised and what they delivered, they must have a ton of half-baked assets here and there to finalize and reuse... Plus they might have learned something in the way...

OH oh! I want the Red River to have render to texture, then by that logic we can get picture in picture in Arma2 :D

No. It's different people expressing different opinions. Then, other people (like you) compile hundreds of different people into a single personality for you to call hypocrisy on. +1 internets for you.

Noone is saying anything about people expressing opinions, its the trends of those opinions that are the subject.

You can argue about it either way but to any neutral viewer of this forum the opinions of most here on are hardly balanced when it comes to Codemasters OFP games.

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Marines are soldiers...

Looking over at the Codemasters forum for RR, I couldn't help but notice the following:

rrfanboy.jpg

lol Zipper. Unfortuantly, Thats quite true. Lots of people are following that cycle. Only a few things I' would say I fit the cycle with, Small CoOp, PvP, no brits and no calling in CAS.

Most other things, No ME, No Rain/Destructable trees, No leaning/cover system, 8 hour campaign, 8 FTE's that cannot fit the "unrealistic", "bad" or "not needed" set.

I still am gonna say, Wait until release, As I will do. Now you've seen gameplay and have a good set of info. Feel free to bash now, But i'm awaiting a demo and release to see if its buggy, short and a blatent console port without the PC version being played at all....

Our opinions differ.

Do I care about the ridiculous levels of gore in Treyarch's games? -No. I'm sure one or two speshul forces dudez in the history of mankind have stuck an oddly-shaped knife into someone's cortex; but for all intents and purposes, this is fiction.

Now, go look up a few videos from liveleaks of snipers taken from Al Jazeera. Ordinary people - who happen to be employed as soldiers - alive one second, the next, simply non-existant. No blown out back of the head. No marinara sauce. They just no longer exist.

Death is stupid and pointless. It's not 'Captain Price, remember to take account of the coriolis effect, fck yeah!'

People who have served in the forces play Arma2. Many of those know friends who have had their lives prematurely taken from them. They certainly don't need to see characters' limbs blown off by IEDs or 7.62 rounds in game for 'immersion'.

Is this concern slightly hypocritical? Probably.

Nicely said.

I think people seem to forget that OFP/ArmA is in first and foremost about the Tactics -one of the last games truly dedicated for this -and not about the visuals of killing/murdering.

Also films and video games make people to have stupid perceptions on what it looks like when somebody takes a hit. In real life you won't see anybody flying back from a shotgun blast, people won't do triple barrel-rolls from hand grenade explosions (I even doubt it can "move" around human body in any form - think about those who save others by hurling themselves on a grenade), limbs don't get cut into piles meters high like in a killbill movie, and people don't start falling like beanbag-dolls when HP reaches zero...

I remember how much I liked Rouge Spear's and Ghost Recon's damage modelling - no dismemberment, no big red clouds on hit, no ragdoll, just little red dots where I've hit the "target", and some blood pouring out of the body, was (IS) much more immersive than tons of limbs cut off, hundreds of kgs of guts torned out or puppets falling down when the wires are cut.

Ghost Recon is doomed. Cloaks? Re-used plots? WTF?

you can bet it will do good on consoles, fancy enough for no-brainers...

COD is doomed. M16A1s with removable carrying handles? FAMAS, Kobra optics, Steyr AUG, and SPAS-12 in 1960s? x2 WTF?

Indeed. Especially after Activision clusterf*cked the already clusterf*ck (since 2nd CoD title at least) Infinity Ward.

One of the biggest lolabout BO is when a dev was asked "what the hell about the three-round burst capable M16A1 in MP?" answer was "It's an early prototype...."

Marines are soldiers...

Technically yes, but don't try to tell that into the eye of any of them :D

Okay, THIS is probably the most fuked up thing I've seen so far:

Now, the perks I saw were within the realm of reality and could be thought of as advanced training for certain aspects of a soldier's abilities. For example, a scout (the sniper class) could take an enhancement that would reduce the amount of bullet drop over long ranges. It's surely going to turn off sim-junkies, but this isn't the game for them, anyway.

When I read "special training," I though that it could reduce weapon sway or recoil... but bullet drop?? :eek: So an überskilled player can use his sniper rifle basically as a laser gun? This is getting better and better...

EDIT: Is it just me or does the in-game Tajikistan look just as "open" as Crysis island? Those who had the unpleasant experience of opening that island in an editor surely know what I mean.

Edited by Myshaak

Yeah, Obviously, Because theres a lil' real gadget that will be developed in 2013 that stops bullet drop by some really complex science thingy... Silly. :p

Obviously, "perks", CAN be within the realms of reality. But must be strict, and have disadvantages as well. But noone has ever done it properly...

Yeah, Obviously, Because theres a lil' real gadget that will be developed in 2013 that stops bullet drop by some really complex science thingy... Silly. :p

Obviously, "perks", CAN be within the realms of reality. But must be strict, and have disadvantages as well. But noone has ever done it properly...

Well, if they added the "leet bullet drop reducer!" in, then I want also "Teh wound-responsive medical potion injector and magic aloe vera bandage applier!" ... you know, health-regen ;-) Otherwise, dealbreaker! :p

well, you're in luck! :D

Are you serious? :eek: I thought I read somewhere that the main difference between DR and RR healing system would be that there is no corpsman now, because everyone will have the magic bandage... but they still need to select it and apply it themselves, right? Please tell me that the soldiers marines would not be able to shoot WHILE the serious headshot wound is healing by itself...:eek:

Don't you know? Being shot in the head may cause some bleeding but it's nothing serious.

Hi all

Codemasters used to be a good company, now it seems that across their product range that they have adopted a business policy of you can fool some of the people all the time.

Seemed to take place when they sold it off to Goldman Sachs. And we all know what the Goldman Sachs brand means. The fact the US people and even Congress and Senate want to jail the lot of them should tell you what to expect.

Report: Codemasters to secure new investor amid financial woes

by Ben Gilbert on Jan 20th 2010 1:00AM

According to a recent report from the Times Online, UK-based publisher Codemasters is "close to securing" a new investor and will announce the mysterious source "shortly." The news is said to be paired with an upcoming balance sheet restructuring -- a necessity, we imagine, after less than huge releases last year like Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, Fuel, and Damnation.

The report also indicates that current investors Balderton Capital and Goldman Sachs will "inject new funds" into the publisher...

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/20/report-codemasters-to-secure-new-investor-amid-financial-woes/

As always follow the link to the full original article and source page

Codemasters continues to be one of the worst performing publishing brands. Essentially Codemasters is now all about whoring the brand and hemorrhaging staff.

Further Troubles Hit Codemasters' Bodycount

05 Nov 2010 at 19:19:37 by Peter Parrish

Eurogamer is reporting that Codemasters' FPS Bodycount has suffered a setback to its original release date of spring 2011 and is now projected to come out in "early summer" 2011.

In addition, general manager Adrian Bolton has left Codemasters Guildford (the branch developing Bodycount.) This is not the first high-profile departure from the Bodycount team; creative director Stuart Black announced his exit in July and executive producer Tom Gillo is also no longer with the studio...

http://www.incgamers.com/News/25858/further-troubles-hit-codemasters-bodycount

As always follow the link to the full original article and source page

Like its parent company I think it is heading for the long decline. When people realise a company CM or their parent company Goldman Sachs apears to be bent on ripping off its customers the game is up.

Who can forget Goldman Sachs fabulous Fab boasting about selling Garbage Mortgage securities to their customers.

Regards walker

Edited by walker

Who needs ballistics? Ballistics schmalishtics! They're bad for gameplay.

Are you serious? :eek: I thought I read somewhere that the main difference between DR and RR healing system would be that there is no corpsman now, because everyone will have the magic bandage... but they still need to select it and apply it themselves, right? Please tell me that the soldiers marines would not be able to shoot WHILE the serious headshot wound is healing by itself...:eek:

lol, I was kidding.

Though, The bandage is now able to heal you up fully again. Nothing like a bit of tape and fabric to fix those deadly headshot wounds back to normal.... :rolleyes:

lol, I was kidding.

Though, The bandage is now able to heal you up fully again. Nothing like a bit of tape and fabric to fix those deadly headshot wounds back to normal.... :rolleyes:

Ouch, I've just been hit in the face by an exploding 40mm grenade. Let me just wrap this bandage around my thigh and everything will be back to normal.

I don't really mind the game mechanic myself.

It adds something to the gameplay.

I like it best in games where the amount of healing you have is a finite resource. Hidden and Dangerous 2 is an excellent example of this.

In the end playing a game where you only ever attack enemies when you outnumber them 5 to 1 and most of the combat passes without you ever encountering an an enemy yourself personally, often makes for boring gameplay. There is such a thing as too much realism.

I think not being able to heal works well in games with very short encounters... perhaps Rainbow Six for example.

I don't really object to being able to heal in ArmA or indeed the original Operation Flashpoint.

Roughly translated highlights of the GamesVillage.it preview :

The third episode of one of the most loved game series promise to bring to the extreme the realism of battles that take place in open field, without medikits and with traps and ambushes every step you take bla bla bla...

Pros:

-Simulative and extremely tactic.

-Ego engine can be pushed to its limits.

-Promising co-op.

Cons:

-The simulative approach might push away some players.

-PvP absent at the moment.

Other quotes:

We have a lot of FPS, but there are only a few realistic and difficult experiences like Operation Flashpoint...

.. no scripts, no magical healing kits, no enemies respawning every time you kill them..

Copy-Pasta from the Codemasters PR anyone?

Edited by Zoz

No, conmaster just give them money and send some pre-written "pre-view" to choose from

lol, I was kidding.

It's a no-buy for me then. I just can't play a game where I MAY actually get hurt or even lose my virtual life... I mean, what would have happened?? I would have been forced to reload a checkpoint? Now THAT would be crazy.:o

Oh, that was not right... what I meant was: DEALBREAKAAAH!! :mad: