Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Why would they cut out stuff and simplify the game, make sides mirror each other - until ArmA3 only remotely resembles ArmA game?

Simple:

the project has experienced fundamental changes in terms of its vision, scope, scale, and setting.

"Well.. I see they have updated the vehicle list, and added the A 143 Buzzard jet fighter. So im guessing since they have updated the list and only added 1 plane, it means we are only getting one plane (I dont consider UAVs planes btw). "

Hmm and they spelt "truck" correctly in this update too;-)

If any Devs are watching this thread could we please get confirmation of the "Launch Content" list - ie no shotguns, no F-35, no xm-25, no Osprey? I don't think now is the time for any "ooh it'll be a surprise" content. I think most people get the rationale of the campaign delay (even though disappointing) but content delay is another thing in my view.... and for the love of God could we get some NV and thermal scopes released please??!! Cheers.... still hopeful.....

If any Devs are watching this thread could we please get confirmation of the "Launch Content" list - ie no shotguns, no F-35, no xm-25, no Osprey? I don't think now is the time for any "ooh it'll be a surprise" content. I think most people get the rationale of the campaign delay (even though disappointing) but content delay is another thing in my view.... and for the love of God could we get some NV and thermal scopes released please??!! Cheers.... still hopeful.....

The list should be complete for the release of Arma 3 (or as complete as possible, there are going to be some more minor stuff like optics, additional variants of current vehicles and other stuff). It is highly probable that there will be more content after release with the episodes, but no promises :icon_twisted:

Simple:

Yeah, would be cool if they told us this before releasing the alpha.. Their new vision sucks IMO, I liked the arma2 vision better and you would expect the vision to stay the same for an Arma sequel..

---------- Post added at 16:43 ---------- Previous post was at 16:42 ----------

The list should be complete for the release of Arma 3 (or as complete as possible, there are going to be some more minor stuff like optics, additional variants of current vehicles and other stuff). It is highly probable that there will be more content after release with the episodes, but no promises :icon_twisted:

Does that mean the F-35 and Osprey got axed too?

Thanks for the quick reply Pettka - appreciated.

Can I just be really thick then and ask directly... on release there will ONLY be 1 type of jet - the "A 143 Buzzard jet fighter"?

Thanks

Yeah, would be cool if they told us this before releasing the alpha...

I think you've misunderstood the direction.

We've had to put in a lot of effort to get the project back on track towards what we'd expect from an Arma game.

Does that mean the F-35 and Osprey got axed too?

Wait what how did you get that? What I understood is that there are going to be more goodies that those on the list. Personally i'm not worried about this. About the campaign, a sad news but had to be done i suppose. Still keeping faith in BIS and wish them success with ARMA.

We've had to put in a lot of effort to get the project back on track towards what we'd expect from an Arma game.

With change of vision I assumed the whole "arma is not a simulator anymore".

Well it never was but at least you guys used to be trying..

Wait what how did you get that? What I understood is that there are going to be more goodies that those on the list. Personally i'm not worried about this. About the campaign, a sad news but had to be done i suppose. Still keeping faith in BIS and wish them success with ARMA.

That is where he got that. At release 1 jet. Maybe more but No promises.

Does that mean that BIS still hasn't finished developing basic assets like jet fighters, and instead focused on gimmicks like showcases and firing drills?

Does that mean that BIS still hasn't finished developing basic assets like jet fighters, and instead focused on gimmicks like showcases and firing drills?

Another one that doesn't understand how games are developed. Jets = config guys + artists. Showcases = mission designers.

So considering that ArmA3 got unrealistic movement (that includes turning in prone speed), vastly simplified medic system and no notable penalties for carrying absolutely unreasonable weights while also ditching any mention of 'simulation' in relation to ArmA3 - that other direction (during which the opposite to all of the above was promised) must have been really bad.

Yeah, would be cool if they told us this before releasing the alpha.. Their new vision sucks IMO, I liked the arma2 vision better and you would expect the vision to stay the same for an Arma sequel..

Exactly.

And this isn't just about the campaign.

If it was only campaign split into 3 DLCs released who knows when and in which state - I personally wouldn't be upset much.

Edited by metalcraze

I see we don't have many Half-Life fans in this forums :D

no notable penalties for carrying absolutely unreasonable weights

They have stated that this is in the works.

Another one that doesn't understand how games are developed. Jets = config guys + artists. Showcases = mission designers.

Thank you for that. It pleases me endlessly to know that there is still some sheltered corner of the internet where reason and sanity hide. :)

So [...] that other direction
We've had to put in a lot of effort

Best,

RiE

FWIW, I appreciate the words in the blog, if they are as honest as they sound.

My experience with the quality of Arma 2 is what keeps me from buying Arma 3. I'll be happy to change my mind if I have solid evidence that the quality has seriously improved.

If the campaign comes later that's not a big deal. I will probably wait anyway to see what people think of the game. More importantly, I'm sure a lot of missions will be provided by the community. As far as I'm concerned the focus on quality is the way to go.

That is dissapointing to say the least. 1 more SMG? 1 Jet? What happened to the F35, the shotgun, the XM25? Also only another SUV? Is that all in civilian vehicles?

Only 1 jet and axing a lot of the weapons like the KSG shotgun and the XM25 leaves a bad taste in my mouth, I can now understand the disappointment people are feeling.

But if I've got Altis, Tanks and an Insurgent faction I'm a happy chappy. I can work around limited units.

If theres only going to be one jet, then what on earth will Blufor be getting? It'd be ridiculous to give all 3 factions the same model of jet, and NATO (Which in the arma 3 depiction is certainly American-centric) using a L-159 as a primary jet seems a bit silly to me.

And obligatory "Confirmation on the fate of my beloved railgun tank please okay thank you"

... Unless its coming in a later episode :D which would explain the NBC level seal on the devs lips :cool:

That is dissapointing to say the least. 1 more SMG? 1 Jet? What happened to the F35, the shotgun, the XM25? Also only another SUV? Is that all in civilian vehicles?

The AA40 was from the Arma 2 code an accidentally got into the Arma 3 code.

I know that, I've meant that BIS should have refocused their employees on more important stuff, they should have hired more designers/modellers to work on creating vehicles(or vehicle interiors maybe, for some of them), and tasking the mission designers with working on the campaign instead of showcases. (Although I don't know how many resources were really spent in the creation of showcases, but only assume based on how they're advertising showcases as an important feature of the game.)

If ArmA 3 is the main focus of BIS, they should have allocated more employees to work on A3 assets before working on other games like TKOH Mars or DayZ standalone. It's ridiculous that we are 1-2 months before release, and BIS still haven't finished working on such a fundamental feature of the game - fixed wing aircraft. (Cargo planes, at least 2 more fighter jets..)

I understand delaying the campaign due to the AI issues, renaming of greece/lemnos and wanting to make a higher quality campaign, but jets are basic assets that should have ready for Q/A testing by now. They shouldn't be

things that may or may not come in a future update.

NATO (Which in the arma 3 depiction is certainly American-centric) using a L-159 as a primary jet seems a bit silly to me.

And obligatory "Confirmation on the fate of my beloved railgun tank please okay thank you"

The L-159 is a Czech plane, the Czech Republic is part of NATO, so it actually makes sense for BLUFOR to use the L-159, however, it's still a pretty inferior plane for its time which makes it suitable for GREENFOR, but for BLUFOR and OPFOR I expected more advanced jets, such as a Eurofighter Typhoon or an F-22/F-35 for BLUFOR, and a Sukhoi PAK FA or a J-20 for OPFOR

Railguns were binned, probably due to complaints from players about the game being too realistic. Which makes sense since there's no way there would be compact railguns in 2035. The T-100 now has a normal cannon instead.

Edited by NMDANNY

Didn't bis say something about over 40 different weapons included in final release a while back?(or was that including a few different mines) And I remember seeing some interesting weapons as well in pictures, such as a shotgun, oh well, what can you expect...

Its weird thinking back, I thought we were actually getting a few new things but hey! damn, I am so tired of shooting with that slow lag-like mx rifle, and that mk20 that barely kills anyone while you stand there looking at that weird AI damage animation. Why would do they swing their bloody weapon up in the air? And the katiba, I don't know about you, but it does sound rather weak to me. If you ask me there should instead be a bit more blood flying when you hit someone, It might not be as realistic, but at least it looks as if you actually shot them and they didn't just drop (for no reason). Red Orchestra 2 does this quite well, it looks quite nice actually, but then again RO2 also features cramps which makes the whole experience more immersive...

Well I guess its always left up to the community...

The AA40 was from the Arma 2 code an accidentally got into the Arma 3 code.

There are early screenshots that have a KSG shotgun.

Edit: 600px-Arma3_ksg.jpg Here it is

I was relatively fine with delaying the campaign because I assumed you were giving us the tools to create our own content (which I love doing and what I spend most of my time in arma doing). But now you're limiting our ability to do that :(

What happened to the KSG shotgun or the XM25? The F35? The Osprey? The awesome as hell (if unrealistic) railgun tank? All this cool shit and someone somewhere has sat down and said "No, I don't want this in the game".

Edited by Doln

I can cope as long as some of the expected content comes for free with the the episodes, or when they're ready. I don't really want to be paying for extra jets etc. I'm not even sure that would work in multiplayers?

I look forward to quality finished work and am glad they honestly decided to pull the campaign to make it a good one - brave work BIS, well done :)

What happened to the KSG shotgun or the XM25? The F35? The Osprey? The awesome as hell (if unrealistic) railgun tank? All this cool shit and someone somewhere has sat down and said "No, I don't want this in the game".

lol, I cant help but find it funny how if you had said "What if next week we found out that planes have been axed aswell" 50 pages back, you would have been called a crybaby or accused of overreacting :)

I think (sadly) this is what people (myself included) feared with the delay of the campaign... that it indicated other aspects of the game wouldn't be ready either. I'm guessing that F-35's and other assets may well end up being part of later released campaign chapters (I'd guess at the "Win" stage of the DLCs.) - obviously just guessing at a possible story-arc. Got to say I'm very disappointed that assets are delayed too.