Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Zipper5 was recruited, but NOT as mission maker - which is a pity, as he is a blast as mission maker.

I think Karel Moricky (Gaia) is involved, and I also heard they have recruited some mission designers directly from the community at the start of Arma 3s development. Gaia was responsible for, among other things, Eagle Wing and the PMC missions.

Game designers from the community are Zipper5 (Thomas Ryan) and Neo[nika] (Nelson Duarte) as far as I know.

we just don't have confidence enough in the quality of BI's campaigns to actually feel that we're missing much.

that is neither indifferent nor positive. it's 100% negative as in accepting that the whole SP part will be really bad anyways and just taking it as a fact. it's even worse than demanding a good campaign in the full game. you aren't saying "devs it's not good enough, try harder". you are ssaying "devs, you won't ever be able to pull it off, you just suck at it, don't even bother". i think in reality the people complaining have a more positive attitude towards things. just saying :p

to me sandbox in the context of arma 3 can mean several things.

1. a campaign that allows more freedom. for example play missions in a non-linear order (as in strategic map in the last stream). much like quests in skyrim for example.

2. sandbox and NOT simulation. to make clear that there will be no effort to please only realism nuts. but also to have a general excuse for a lack of mil-sim features (we all know which ones i'm talking about). this one is just PR nonsense that should be ignored. just look at what the game actually is and how it's different from older versions or other games that don't call themselves sims.

3. sandbox as in. moddable and very open due to the editor. i see this one as problematic too for the following reasons. BI are using a smaller part of the customers to make content for their game for free to get another part of the costumers excited about the game. this is bad for both parts. one of them works for free because they want the game to be something that the devs just don't seem to be able to provide even after years. and the other part can only enjoy the game once the first one starts to add onto it. "want a feature? make it yourself! it's a sandbox"

Here is another screenshot of Altis posted by Ivan on twitter

VFmVfxC.jpg

Found this little hidden spot on Altis when making new #arma3 screenshots. Great work @Arma3official!

Hey Guys,

sorry - but maybe i was too euphoric and posted to the wrong subforum - but: i want to know more about that statement at todays DEV-changelog!!

What you think?

I think Karel Moricky is involved,

I'm afraid I'm not, although I provide technical support. I mainly focus on mutliplayer R&D ;)

Then maybe you can tell us who is involved in making the campaign and SP missions (please)?

Then maybe you can tell us who is involved in making the campaign and SP missions (please)?

Pleaaaase Moricky tell us!!!

when are we getting this blog then im interested to see what else they may be hiding :)

look at the height of the hill on the right, me like!

+1

I agree, the Water-tower and the hill on the right looks awesome....... I can hear my soldier wheezing already trying to climb that hill.

Altis (ArmA 3) is going to be Epic. I've already got 400 hours logged just on Stratis :cool: (Average of 3 hours a day). When Altis comes out, it will be 6 hours a day.....the wife is not going to like Bohemia Interactive in the near Future. :p

.As NouberNou, myself and others both on and off-forum have alluded to: we just don't have confidence enough in the quality of BI's campaigns to actually feel that we're missing much. :p

Since when should I care about what NouberNou, yourself or others have alluded about the quality of the BI campaign? Personally, I didn't dislike Harvest Red, I actually kind of liked it. I enjoyed playing it, as well as Operation Arrowhead, with four players coop. I don't really care what others think, it is what I think about it. I liked the Armed Assault campaign. Or Eagle Wing (although it was way too short).

Besides, as you yourself point out frequently enough, it's another team now.

So yes, I want to play the campaign.

I'm quite excited about the drone content package that will be coming to the beta, is it going to arrive into the dev branch this week or will we have to wait longer for it?

Since when should I care about what NouberNou, yourself or others have alluded about the quality of the BI campaign? Personally, I didn't dislike Harvest Red, I actually kind of liked it. I enjoyed playing it, as well as Operation Arrowhead, with four players coop. I don't really care what others think, it is what I think about it. I liked the Armed Assault campaign. Or Eagle Wing (although it was way too short).

Besides, as you yourself point out frequently enough, it's another team now.

So yes, I want to play the campaign.

and even if you hated Harvest Red. you should demand a good campaign even more then. i don't understand some people's logic.

and even if you hated Harvest Red. you should demand a good campaign even more then. i don't understand some people's logic.

Look on the Positive Side everybody: EVERY SP mission made by the modding community is a mini-Campaign all in itself :bounce3:......something you can't get from Battlefield 3 or 4, COD, or most modern fps games these days that are console based in the first place. With ArmA 3, we can make our own Campaign. And I can bet you right now someone is thinking up their own Campaign for the Community when we get Altis in the Dev Branch before release. Heck, we already have a Campaign with 5 chapters for the Beta http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19612.

Aim High

please stop lol. am i the only one that sees the possibility of the arma 3 not sucking? i mean seriously. give them a chance.

I dislike (not to say hatred) Harvest Red, that's why I'm eager to play ArmA 3 campaign.

I think BIS has an opportunity here to make up for it.

I just hope this campaign will be worth playing - and I hope we won't need to rely on the community to have a decent campaign (especially since BIS hired Zipper5 who made some of the best usermade campaign for ArmA 2).

please stop lol. am i the only one that sees the possibility of the arma 3 not sucking? i mean seriously. give them a chance.

If you're talking to me, then you've got me all wrong. I believe that ArmA 3 is going to be Epic and the Campaign is gonna be great. I was not being Sarcastic in my post above.

My point was this: People need to be patient with the delayed SP Campaign. In the mean time, the community will create mini-Campaign's for those who like playing SP Campaign's. The first 2 or 3 months, we are going to be so over-whelmed with what is in the Final Release (exploring the Island, the full editor, Multiplayer matches, firing range, the Armory stuff, and etc. etc.) that the Campaign can wait IMHO.

Anyway.....

Zipper5 was recruited, but NOT as mission maker - which is a pity, as he is a blast as mission maker.

Thanks for the kind words, but you're mistaken. I am part of the team of talented folks bringing Arma 3's campaign together. :)

Thanks for the kind words, but you're mistaken. I am part of the team of talented folks bringing Arma 3's campaign together. :)

Well stop posting on here and get the campaign done!

joking aside, good to know.

Yeah, fucking great news!!!

Since how long though? Cause I read somewhere - maybe an interview on OFPEC? - that you were not hired as mission maker at first - or am I wrong?

I'm sure the campaign for ARMA 3 will be awesome. Personally I think, that you should take the needed time, but I'm also afraid of negative reviews because of the delayed campaign. I like BI very much and I wish you all great success.

Personally i am a patient person, and i am willing to wait yet a few more months or longer for the official release of Arma3, reason, I think a product should be as sharp as possible "out of the box". I am extremely happy with Arma3 so far despite a few things i would like to see added. My number one complaint with Arma3 is the engine moves your crosshairs for you, i think this is disgusting engine behavior and does not offer freedom of choice, currently you can't even turn it off. Other than that i think the water needs tweaked and tracers should light up the environment like they do in real life. After that's resolved I would be perfectly happy with Arma3. The lighting in Arma3 is eye popping and mouth dropping to say the least, who ever did the lighting needs a bonus. Really looking forward to playing the campaign. This is probably the only game besides BF3 that I would play the full campaign lol.

I remember buying a game called League of Legends which is normally free but the paid version gives you 20 free champions. Guess what? the developers changed the server updater code so much the game did not work out of the box, Riot games support people told me I had to go download the full game from their website, then apply more updates after the fact. Seems like a product should work out of the box. This doesn't have nothing to do with Arma3 though I'm just saying. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Edited by falconx1