Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Before devs arrested in Greece, on old ArmA 3 site there was a Bandit faction with smugglers and arms traffickers. there was CIA agent too

Since when simulators are 100% realistic or not games?

For whatever reason you seem to be calling a complex game "a simulator" and a dumbed down game "a game".

And FYI BIS is calling ArmA3 a milsim

www.arma2.com

Whoopsie!

Lying again (as with the gearbox and stuff)? Do you happen to know that Arma 2 and Arma 3 are separate games? I have heard that Arma 3 is a "massive military sandbox" :icon_twisted:

The discussion here went a lot off topic, there is quite a lot of heat on all sides and much ado without proper arguments. Master lord Joris has already stated that there is going to be a proper explanation with all the facts. I would suggest to wait for it as it would provide enough true reasons for discussion :icon_twisted:

thanks pettka :)

good good dev

Lying again (as with the gearbox and stuff)? Do you happen to know that Arma 2 and Arma 3 are separate games? I have heard that Arma 3 is a "massive military sandbox" :icon_twisted:

The discussion here went a lot off topic, there is quite a lot of heat on all sides and much ado without proper arguments. Master lord Joris has already stated that there is going to be a proper explanation with all the facts. I would suggest to wait for it as it would provide enough true reasons for discussion :icon_twisted:

there you go metalcraze ;)

PBO, I found lot of ammunition for different plane.

Interesting. Although I think BIS made it clear that this time it's quality over quantity, so I would guess that at most there will be one fighter plane, and maybe one transport plane per side. I hope the appropriate roles will be filled.

I have heard that Arma 3 is a "massive military sandbox"

sorry i know this topic is annoying but i fail to see any fundamental differences between arma 2 and 3 at all, that would even justify calling them something different. i'm not saying it's one of the two but i find those PR moves quite lame. the game is just an updated arma 2 no matter what you call it. it's not a bad thing. just saying:p

LThe discussion here went a lot off topic, there is quite a lot of heat on all sides and much ado without proper arguments. Master lord Joris has already stated that there is going to be a proper explanation with all the facts. I would suggest to wait for it as it would provide enough true reasons for discussion :icon_twisted:

I'm really looking forward to that explanation (and I say that without irony), but you have to admit that it was pretty much unfortunate that the whole issue came out through a third party video. A lot of this could have been avoided with a proper announcement. As I explained before, I'm pretty sure most people can accept almost any decision if it's for a good reason, and I'm sure this won't be different.

You guys need to chill with the Ents and learn some patience. I preordered Wolfire's Overgrowth 2 years ago and it's still in Alpha without any sort of a game, mission or any remotely resembling a story and it's editor is shall we say a bit limited compared to Arma 3's. Yet the complaint's there could probably be counted on one hand :rolleyes:

Lying again (as with the gearbox and stuff)? Do you happen to know that Arma 2 and Arma 3 are separate games? I have heard that Arma 3 is a "massive military sandbox"

It might be worthwhile to actually look at the linked page before pointing fingers at people for supposedly lying:

<span class="info-text" style="left: 5px;top: 8px;"><a href="http://arma3.com" target="_blank" title="Arma 3 Website">the latest installment of the tactical military simulation</a></span>

That page does in fact refer to Arma 3 as an installment of a tactical military simulation.

Regards,

Sander

It might be worthwhile to actually look at the linked page before pointing fingers at people for supposedly lying:

That page does in fact refer to Arma 3 as an installment of a tactical military simulation.

Who cares for how it is called on web main page of some shady niche simulator?:rolleyes: That is clearly not for wide public.

[/conspiracy]

dP50S9u.jpg

Need to make up your mind.

Thanks for calling me a liar.

Oh god... xD... that escalated quickly. Guys guys guys... please, do not start war here :P who's right and who's wrong.

I'm sure we've had enough explanations as to why this game won't live up to the hype.

Whoa, Arma3 and "Tactical Military Simulation" in the same picture? Carefull this could be considered explicit media..

PBO, I found lot of ammunition for different plane.

Which one? I only found stuff the A-143 (L-159) and the F35F.

What do you mean by "massive military sandbox"?

I mean, what is the difference between that and ArmA 2?

I can't get it.

Thanks for calling me a liar.

I am sorry to call you wrong this time, I forgot about the dated page (and the ad didn't display correctly on my device, mea culpa). We try to make the message as clear as possible (Arma 3 is a military sandbox platform) and this seems to have slipped our radars.

Yet again pettka, what does that really mean?

To me, "sandbox" means that we can do whatever we want (or almost), but with no story or scenario.

Something like DayZ or Wasteland... Which IMO have no interest.

Do you consider OFP, ArmA 1 and 2 as "massive military sandbox" or not?

I might be a little bit late, but I'll try to summarize what I have seen so far in this thread:

People not minding about the delay of the campaign

metalcraze still thinking cars have no gearboxes in ArmA 3 (Spoiler: They do) Guess that makes him a liar then

People disliking the delay of the campaign because they like to play SP

People disliking the delay of the campaign because it makes ArmA 3 a "unfinished product"

People disliking the delay of the campaign because they think it will give ArmA 3 bad reviews

What I don't understand, why would we want good reviews anyway? That would only make more people buy ArmA 3 thus introducing more new players to the game.

And we don't want new players because noobs are baaaaaaad. AmIright? Sarcasm

Edited by ElPresidente

Sandbox is a game that, aside from providing native content, allows the users to use the full extent of its features to generate their own content, including and/or exluding native content. It means that you can do anything with it, and if BI decides to tell a story with the stuff they are putting in, they are just exploiting their own sandbox to provide a baseline for the player as he goes deeper into the game.

OFP was the first game, and from the very first moment on, it was a sandbox. People were modding even the demo prior to the release of the full game. The native content was, again, to provide a baseline, and not a be-all end-all. Especially considering some of the talent in this community in particular, at least on the development side of new Units/Realistic and Authentic Vehicles, Soldiers, Equipment and all things that go along with that, Bi cannot provide the be all and end all simply because the community does some things better than they.

DayZ and Wasteland are NOT Sandboxes, they are open world games. GTA is not a sandbox, it is an open world game. Pretty much -no- major title calling themselves "Sandbox" today is a Sandbox: they are bumble-about-and-collect-achievements open world games. Arma is not like that, it still and only rewards the Player through his achievements in the native Campaign and Missions, and through the creation of his own content in and for the game. In other games you get an achievement, in Arma you get your mission uploaded to Armaholic and the feedback you get is posts on the forums and climbing download tickers.

At least, that's my perspective on the Sandbox, in the way that Sandbox is understood outside of AAA Open World sandbox-pretender games.

Sandbox is a game that, aside from providing native content, allows the users to use the full extent of its features to generate their own content, including and/or exluding native content. It means that you can do anything with it...in Arma you get your mission uploaded to Armaholic and the feedback you get is posts on the forums and climbing download tickers.

i generally personally agree but that's still a very narrow perspective. i have a lot of friends that have no idea how to make scripts or even use the editor to its full extent. i also find it not a positive thing how BI seems to rely on modders more and when it comes to interesting features and good content. especially when i look at the tools they provide. if they would advertise it like gmod and give us all the power it would be different. otherwise it's just PR sugar coating. to me, eventhough i never finished it, the arma 2 campaign and the whole scenario was a very important part to draw me into the world and not make it feel like a tech demo.

and eventhough the last campaign i enjoyed was resistance, i still have high hopes for the arma 3 campaign. i thought the sandbox term was also very much related to the openess (open worldness) the campaign was supposed to offer this time.

I am sorry to call you wrong this time, I forgot about the dated page (and the ad didn't display correctly on my device, mea culpa). We try to make the message as clear as possible (Arma 3 is a military sandbox platform) and this seems to have slipped our radars.

So does that mean that at one point in time ArmA3 was going to continue moving a simulation way but then priorities shifted?

Yet again pettka, what does that really mean?

To me, "sandbox" means that we can do whatever we want (or almost), but with no story or scenario.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_world

"In a true "sandbox", the player has tools to modify the world themselves and create how they play."

This description fits Arma IMO very well so it's sandbox. Arma has always been "Military Sandbox"

Ok then, I was afraid of something like DayZ or Wasteland - as they're called sandbox too.

Which one? I only found stuff the A-143 (L-159) and the F35F.

language_f, search "missile","Zephyr", "ASRAAM", "MK82" and "GBU12"

Semanthics seems to be a great discussion point on these forums... :j:

Won't change anything.