British Troops DLC released & Official 1.01 Update

Are you buying the DLC?  

1112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying the DLC?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
    • I'm waiting for the price to drop

Do you have any (official) link to read more about what Marek said ?

Oh, my bad, it wasn't Marek, but Jan Prazak.

It was in the Q&A session about A2:OA

Specifically:

Fundamentally, the situation of the PC market in general, and sales of our products in particular, limits our ability to produce new content funded by the income from sales of the core game alone.

(My use of bold)

don't miss all these standalone missions then :cool:

Lol for a bit I actually thought the standalone missions is Scenarios were the campaign. I was very impressed by nearly all of the extra missions.

I especially liked Concrete Oasis and Merlin: the former for the really interesting use of high command, the latter for having no combat but still being engaging. Which reminds me I still haven't done the last one...

Most of which was re-shuffling of existing data.

All those M16/M4 variants? Nothing *new* there, just different combinations of existing data.

South Sara? Just the existing island re-chopped in visitor.

Compared to the amount of all-new content in BAF, the patches were nothing.

I wouldn't exactly call *most* of the free content reshuffled data; I mean the WDL soldiers, marines, AK74 PSO1, M107, KSVK, A10, Su34 and warfare isn't exactly *reshuffled data*, most of it was new at the time. South sahrani meant a lot; it had 2 new long roads, making the main city Paraiso more accessible and it redefined warfare and mission-making on that island; it was also perfect for those wanting that little extra performance on large-scale missions like ber[Z]erk or just overall higher graphics settings whithout having to revert to rahmadi.

Online at the moment is lacking diversity in the big 'pvp' missions, it would be really neat for them to make new missions such as the all-new warfare 'back in the day'. A simple concept like 'capture the flag' or 'search and destroy' could completely re-define the rather limited evo, domi, warfare and ber[Z]erk; with BIS' mission-making skills.

+1 They're awesome!!
Marek said himself that one of the reasons they were branching out into paid-for DLC was the poor sales of AA2...
Wow I missed that, in that case I take *some* of what I said back... Edited by SASrecon

The standalone missions are very good. They have high replayability.

More DLC's Bohemia please....

Yeah.. I'm loving the mission. Currently playing seek & destroy... almost win the first time around, but when just about to blow up the last objective... I got shot. what a bummer...

Oh yeah.. Mountain Dew was fun too... AI using top of building to take a shot at you... very nice. I ended up holding up on a rooftop fending off attacks with the minimi. Love you BIS :)

Edited by Mr_Centipede

yeah, us Americans do have alot of representation in arma. and yes, even the national guard got some love in arma 1 ;)

that patch is very similar to the Minnesota ntl guard patch

I released a new SP mission called "The Battle Of Zargabad" featuring this great DLC. You are taking role of British Infantry Squad Leader fighting on streets of heavily destroyed Zargabad. There all OA sides involved, cutscenes, gear choose with all DLC weapons, mortars to use and even some indoor fighting (credits to Big Dawg KS). I have been creating the mission 2 months now. I still plan to update it but its ready for use. Head to my mission thread if interested:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=76273

Marek said himself that one of the reasons they were branching out into paid-for DLC was the poor sales of AA2...

"Poor Sales" is very subjective, but it's clearly not the same as OFP when it went out. According to official Idea Games sources, OFP sold over 2 million copies, while Arma 1 sold around 400 000 copies.

No numbers have been revealed regarding Arma 2, but given the relative good press and ranking of Arma 2 in the sales charts when it went out, I would like to believe it sold at least around 600 000 to 800 000 copies (so 50% more than Arma1, but only a third of OFP with higher development costs due to increased complexity).

So, it's clearly not the same business model...

Note : Arma 2 figures are pure speculation...

Most of which was re-shuffling of existing data.

All those M16/M4 variants? Nothing *new* there, just different combinations of existing data.

South Sara? Just the existing island re-chopped in visitor.

Not the case.

The M16A4 was almost a completely new model. Only the rail covers, general AR-15 bits (ie, shot selector, magazine, dust cover) and RIS attachments could be found on other models. (The closest thing to the M16A4's receiver in ArmA's weapons.pbo was M4_SPR, and with a quick check you can tell the difference between these is significant enough that it'd have to be a new model)

The new South Sara island had both a new height-map and satellite texture, (compared to South Sara as it appeared as in the demo or the southern part of the island that shipped with ArmA). While it was modified from Sara, it was hardly just a quick "re-chop".

I also note you've conveniently forgotten to mention the KSVK, M107, SU-34, A-10, M1030, TT650, all of which were completely new models (save for the scopes on the KSVK and M107), added to the game post release.

"Poor Sales" is very subjective

Indeed, but it was a direct quote from Marek, so good or poor in anyones opinion, when it comes to the bottom line (and that is: having enough money to keep the company running) we can assume from Marek's answer in the Q&A session that it wasn't enough...

Not the case.

Yes yes, there was quite a bit of free content for A1 and OFP, even so, it is still only 3 rifles, 2 aircraft and 2 bikes. Still a lot less than you get in the BAF DLC. Not to mention the different economic climate, OFP sold well, BI could afford to make freebies, AA1 and AA2 not so much, so they can afford to make fewer freebies. If you greedy bastards [for the record; not aiming this directly at D@VÅ] want to bitch and moan because BI are seeking new ways to keep the company open, and that might mean that your official free stuff dries up, well then you don't deserve a company as cool as BIS in the first place...

And for the record, when you have the source data, adding a replacement height map or re-colouring the sat map or adding new roads is a fairly trivial task. Unlike, say, building an entirely new terrain.

And for the record, when you have the source data, adding a replacement height map or re-colouring the sat map or adding new roads is a fairly trivial task. Unlike, say, building an entirely new terrain.

They added entirely new roads, remodeled borders and a path through mountain range, it wasn't just a retexture at all.

Ugh...

Yeah, and with the source data and the tools that BIS have, all those jobs are very easy.

But I fear we've gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaay offtopic here... :j:

Trust me, I wont :D

Can't wait for more DLC:bounce3:

Just purchased the DLC and for the price to content ratio I'm quite disappointed, yes I was aware of the content prior to purchase and I ponied up the doe anyway, largely because I've desired British forces for quite some time.

The DLC in comparison, to that which is put out by other companies for comparable prices, is just simply lacking and unfortunately due to the lack of content within the DLC I can't see it ever really hitting the likes of warfare, although I have no doubt it will be used heavily for various co-op missions.

The main area the DLC seems to be lacking is in regards to vehicles for example the Mastiff 2, Coyote and Challenger Mk 2 are missing. The campaign which has been added although of similar length to the Arrowhead campaign feels almost rushed as well as feeling like a step back from that provided by Arrowhead.

I was tempted to comment on lack of air assets for the British forces, however, it's not something I really miss as a mission maker as it is a role which can be fulfilled by using American air assets where the Apache just doesn't cut the mustard.

Rightly or wrongly I was hoping for a bit more from the British DLC, maybe this is down to my initial impression and I'm failing to see the big picture but for the price to content ratio, as mentioned previously, I feel as though it is disproportionate.

Respectfully,

FreeFrag.UK

Just purchased the DLC and for the price to content ratio I'm quite disappointed, yes I was aware of the content prior to purchase and I ponied up the doe anyway, largely because I've desired British forces for quite some time.

The DLC in comparison, to that which is put out by other companies for comparable prices, is just simply lacking and unfortunately due to the lack of content within the DLC I can't see it ever really hitting the likes of warfare, although I have no doubt it will be used heavily for various co-op missions.

The main area the DLC seems to be lacking is in regards to vehicles for example the Mastiff 2, Coyote and Challenger Mk 2 are missing. The campaign which has been added although of similar length to the Arrowhead campaign feels almost rushed as well as feeling like a step back from that provided by Arrowhead.

I was tempted to comment on lack of air assets for the British forces, however, it's not something I really miss as a mission maker as it is a role which can be fulfilled by using American air assets where the Apache just doesn't cut the mustard.

Rightly or wrongly I was hoping for a bit more from the British DLC, maybe this is down to my initial impression and I'm failing to see the big picture but for the price to content ratio, as mentioned previously, I feel as though it is disproportionate.

Respectfully,

FreeFrag.UK

It's not bad, Just go to XBL and look at how much the MW2 avatar cost

$5.00 for an avatar

Respectfully,

FreeFrag.UK

FreeFrag.UK

i would like You to name other DLCs which offers more on the 'content vs price tag ratio'

new map (Shapur), new voice overs (complete British voice-over with multiple native talkers and dialects), campaign with 4 missions (they contain sub-missions), 10 standalone missions (9 if You count out showcase) out of which 5 is multi-player (coop) ready, new vehicles, new weapons etc.

also consider that part of the content was distributed for free to users as part of 1.54 (the map and all engine enhancements)

also what was biggest let down for You ?

the missing vehicles (take note this is not whole UK army but just small contingent of British units ...)

the short campaign ? (played standalone missions yet ?)

low amount of SP/MP missions ?

short SP/MP missions ?

low amount of weapons ?

don't hesitate to go deeper in Your feedback cause then it become valuable

Well 'the correct price' is always a personal thingy imho. Maybe if you compair OA price with the BAF DLC price, contence wise it might be a bit low (or maybe OA was underpriced?). Personally, i find both prices ok. OA had a normal game price afaik as it is marketed for the main stream public. The DLC is imho something 'fans' will buy and therefor won't look at the pricetag in the first place. Keep in mind, the DLC is part of BIS new plan, and if not mistaken that was getting new funds for further patch developments, so in one or the other way it will pay off. Yup, in the past we always took additional contence and features in patches for granted, it is time to pay back.

Sure, the pack lacks several key vehicles/planes/whatever for a full scaled warefare or any other plans, but the more stuff they put in it the more development time gets wasted or they would have to ask a bigger price to compensate this. Again, DLC is beeing made to fund extra bugfixing and hopefully additional features. One thing you have to credit BIS for is how they made sure MP didn't got split by releasing it as 'lite' in a patch.

You were aware of the content, yet you still say it's "missing" the Challenger? So what do you think they meant when they said the forces in the BAF pack do not use the Challenger?

They are not "missing" or "lacking" if they were not promised or intended to be included.

That being said:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11894

How many of these companies that you claim do a better job, also allow you to mod the game yourself?...It seems to me that most companies have DLC so they can keep milking customers, whereas BIS DLC can be ignored but you'll still have British forces available.

What company provides more content for less?

I'm honestly not trying to start an argument here, i genuinely don't have much experience with DLC but from what i've seen BIS are far from milking their franchise.

Jonn provides a good example, others are BC2, Just Cause 2, Halo, all those random rock-star guitar-hero games...The list goes on.

Argue as much as you want, but with or without the Challenger this is still a new faction and as you like to compare Arma to other games, has more units/weapons as DLC than some games have included as an entire game....

We got new units, weapons, voices a (small) new map, a campaign, some missions and also some great new features such as the artillery system and repairing of vehicles.

Then to top it off, the features were provided for free to everyone in the form of the latest patch. (does anyone know if the map/units/missions were included too?)

/rant

I hope complaints like the one above don't effect the possibility of future DLC - There's always going to be people wanting more than is offered.

It's been said since day one, if you don't want it, don't buy it.

On-topic:

I'm having a blast so far, the 2nd mission really felt immersive with the side tasks and random ambushes. I also like the new approach regarding casualties, it's alot more stressful having to worry about all your men..Playing a mission with 3 or 4 less makes it noticeably harder. (i tried..)

Looking forward to any additional DLC that is planned...Hopefully the ADF are on the 'to do' list ;)

Edited by Nokturnal1ne

i keep encouraging people i know to buy aa2. but they cite reasons like per performance of arma1 and how it was hard to see things at a distance in that unpatched arma1 release as to why they are hesitant to buy.

however OA is seen as much more positive. and when i mentioned the great baf quality and more 'realistic' feel of the game it became way more wanted. there is no other game that makes you feel like you are in a warzone quite as much (BAF missions help achieve this feeling a shit load).

the fact that they can get DLC like BF which adds new variety for about 10 bucks just seemed like a big win for them.

i'd like to see BAF sized DLC more regularly released (every 2 or 3 months) from BIS adding to the troops/missions/units of the game. Maybe even BIS taking requests in a form of votes on faction/content. Now that'd hike up sales.

Edited by twisted

I enjoyed the value of the DLC. I would of appreciated the DLC more if we could see more if shapur was much bigger, ie ,25x25 w/ other small towns around , a border , just something. A huge desert map would be really cool to have.

I think mainly people are complaining by comparing the paid DLC and free give-away such as UKF mods or the upcoming PR mod which provide contents such as challenger 2 and etc etc....

Since this community is so use to getting free high quality no doubt materials from mod-ders, everyone naturally expect to get a lot a lot more from paid materials, while not considering the time and resources needed to produce such contents.

As many comparisons has been made by other forum-ers, free contents normally wants to encompass everything, that takes ages normally to come out and it's solely based on one's free time, will to do so and interest to support it afterward while paid content with a specific objective in mind, is professionally crafted and is released on a timely manner, plus not forgetting the support of those contents after release.

So having that objective and timeline, naturally the scope of the DLC will be reduced to meet the release time and ensuring the quality of the content is met. Unless everyone is willing to wait for another 1 or 2 years for BAF I know I won't want to wait.

Having said so, having the BAF DLC a few months after OA release with all new models, map and features which only cost USD 9 plus aren't it good enough?

What do you expect? another 12 mission campaign with 12 new standalone missions with all vehicles and features from Brit armed forces plus new voice-over plus new features plus new maps plus new box set plus new wallpapers plus new logo.... did I mentioned plus new models ?

My 2 cents.

I believe its a version of the LMT 7.62 MRP designated as the L129A1, I dunno the history of the weapon but I guess its something similar to the SR25 probably taking the AR10 as a base to work up from.

KAC and LMT have a close working relationship and I believe KAC may have done some work for LMT on the rifle.

Regardless, I'm disappointed not to see this new rifle in the DLC pack.