Sign in to follow this  
celery

Which recoil model do you prefer?

Which recoil model do you like best?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Which recoil model do you like best?

• The new one
    • The new one, but tone it down a bit
    • The old one

I would prefer the method of adding a recoil-slider just as it is implemented for the head-shaking. So everyone could use the settings he prefer.

Like many I like the new system but find the upwards recoil a tad overdone (-25%).

I really hope that this new version isn't limited to OA, i.e. A2 still gets some recoil love.

@MadMike: given that this feature significantly degrades a crucial element of the game (shooting), I have to side with Alex72's point of view, i.e. optional but linked into difficulty settings. In fact in MP games, rather like grass, I think the server should define this.

I like the new recoil because it makes you readjust the aiming but I won't mind if a different solution is used, just don't let it keep returning to the same position.

Edited by IronTrooper

While I don't consider myself a seasoned shooter, well, maybe seasoned but not shooting that much, I still wonder what they thaught us ~15 years ago in my military service with the Bundeswehr.

Why oh why did they make us rest the G3 on a sandback shooting targets at 200m, shot by shot, re-aiming again and again. Shouldn't they just have told us to hold the rifle, aim, close the eyes, shoot - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - shot - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - shot... Muscle memory should have gotten us back right on target in between :confused:

Seriously, I never really tried, but I'd not expect the third shot to hit a 50x50cm target at that distance while resting on a sandback - not even thinking about freely holding the rifle...

So I like the new system, even though I must admit that I yesterday wasted a 200 round belt shooting the new thermal sight MG (M249, iirc) in 3-round burst while engaging some Opfor ~600m away, just killing one. For shooting it prone the spray was probably a bit excessive, but considering the range it might be okay again.

Should move the combat a little closer again and it will be nice to look again in opponents faces. Even though one wonders what people complain about - the great shots the people here consider themselve shouldn't the first shot have killed the enemy already?! :p Ah, okay, must have been the ping or some desync :D

Edited by WhoCares

While I don't consider myself a seasoned shooter, well, maybe seasoned but not shooting that much, I still wonder what they thaught us ~15 years ago in my military service with the Bundeswehr.

Why oh why did they make us rest the G3 on a sandback shooting targets at 200m, shot by shot, re-aiming again and again. Shouldn't they just have told us to hold the rifle, aim, close the eyes, shoot - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - shot - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - shot... Muscle memory should have gotten us back right on target in between :confused:

Seriously, I never really tried, but I'd not expect the third shot to hit a 50x50cm target at that distance while resting on a sandback - not even thinking about freely holding the rifle...

So I like the new system, even though I must admit that I yesterday wasted a 200 round belt shooting the new thermal sight MG (M249, iirc) in 3-round burst while engaging some Opfor ~600m away, just killing one. For shooting it prone the spray was probably a bit excessive, but considering the range it might be okay again.

Should move the combat a little closer again and it will be nice to look again in opponents faces. Even though one wonders what people complain about - the great shots the people here consider themselve shouldn't the first shot have killed the enemy already?! :p Ah, okay, must have been the ping or some desync :D

lol +1. very true and very funny to read.

Ah, okay, must have been the ping or some desync

I find that, in unmodified ArmA2/OA, scoped 5.56 or 5.45 rifles are incapable of killing targets in single body shots beyond 200m - at that range, through the scope you can still see the blood, and they arn't dieing. 7.62 rifles can go further, but even then their 1-shot range is limited compared to .50 BMG (and amazingly 9x39 even though it's a bitch to aim.)

In regards to 5.56x45, it's actually pretty realistic for any weapons firing M855 ball, because it stops fragmenting at around 150m, and is noted for very poor stopping power in real life beyond those ranges. Mk262 ball, which *should* be used by the Mk12 SPR (but isn't in the game) has a MUCH longer fragmentation range.

Why not give us our choice of recoil models by making it selectable under Game Options, Difficulty?

Seconded; also agree with the post about the AI shooting much more frequently and more accurately.

I would prefer the method of adding a recoil-slider just as it is implemented for the head-shaking. So everyone could use the settings he prefer.

Maybe only in SP; otherwise it's way too big of a factor regarding fairness in an MP environment.

another thing that bugs me is that the current recoil seems to be the same, regardless if you're prone, kneeling or standing.

If you can't shoot fast subsequents shots beeing prone with a vintorez, then you know that something isn't right... it's ridiculous.

Actually the recoil isn't always the same. You will see it especially when using machineguns or other big calibers such as M107. Firing machineguns while staying is now absolutely pointless (especially over long distances).

Actually the recoil isn't always the same. You will see it especially when using machineguns or other big calibers such as M107. Firing machineguns while standing is now absolutely pointless (especially over long distances).

:yay:

I like the Vanilla OA Recoil. I agree with what Celery said and what NemeSiS said aswell.

As for the vintorez: I always do (fast) single shots with it. And the recoil is so low when you're prone that you can reaim in less than one second within its effective range. Just tested it in the editor vs some moving KSK soldiers at a range between 300 and 400 metres

Edited by Derbysieger

I was trying this out tonight and found it to be too extreme. I like the new mechanics because it definitely feels more realistic; but it should be toned down IMO since it's impossible to model the actual force of the recoil on someone playing a computer game. As it stands now it's damn near impossible to make quick follow-up shots; because after 2 or 3 rounds your barrel is 4-6 inches higher, when IRL a person should be able to bring it down closer to the target between each shot (unless they're on full auto and just spraying :) )When I shoot my AR-15 rapid-fire from my shoulder it definitely picks up but naturally my body brings it back towards the target (obviously not perfectly ON the target). I think something in between would be a LOT better

Edited by No Use For A Name

Played through the campaign and some of the scenarios with beta and found no problems using these values. The constant dragging of mouse especially on 7.62 based weapons was a bit annoying, but not something I don't think people can't live with. Maybe I (as others here) will be more annoyed the more I play, I don't know.

@No Use For A Name: How many are shooting back when you are at the range? I think one of the things this recoil/climb system does well is simulate the conditions under stress.

I still find the sway too little, nonexistent even. Doing a well aimed shot standing up does not require any "concentration" (hold breath) at all. Hold breath function now seem to be limited to reducing aiming shake when you're hurt.

I love the new non-zeroing kick but I think it should be toned down by about 1/3 for all stances.

It really feels more powerful and realistic. (I have fired real rifles but not alot)

Edited by EDcase

I was trying this out tonight and found it to be too extreme. I like the new mechanics because it definitely feels more realistic; but it should be toned down IMO since it's impossible to model the actual force of the recoil on someone playing a computer game. As it stands now it's damn near impossible to make quick follow-up shots; because after 2 or 3 rounds your barrel is 4-6 inches higher, when IRL a person should be able to bring it down closer to the target between each shot (unless they're on full auto and just spraying :) )When I shoot my AR-15 rapid-fire from my shoulder it definitely picks up but naturally my body brings it back towards the target (obviously not perfectly ON the target). I think something in between would be a LOT better

Fully agree. Fired my SKS "sporter" w/30rnd AK mag, and came to the same conclusion. After a single shot, I automatically let the muzzle fall back down to near on target, but when rapid firing, then the muzzle climbs. I think a good compromise could be reached with only having the muzzle climb when you don't allow time for it to come back down.

BIS....any word on what you are thinking of trying with the recoil....or is the new recoil what we get?I do not mind since tweaks to amount each weapon recoils can make this work very well.

The amount of time to re-aim is pretty close to what I experience with my own M4gery when standing or kneeling. Firing from a rest or a bipod, the "old" recoil was more realistic.

More "realism" yay

But tone it down. Aiming at who knows where after 2-3 shots considering that fights go at 150m+ distances is a big deal.

Also this new recoil should affect the prone position the least of all

Would removing the weapon lag you get when you move weapon up and down work?When you fire standing and move mouse down to compensate the weapon lags behind so it takes more mouse movement.Also its causing a weird effect where the front post is dropping down while rear posts rise.

The weapon lag could be removed only when firing.

Would removing the weapon lag you get when you move weapon up and down work?When you fire standing and move mouse down to compensate the weapon lags behind so it takes more mouse movement.Also its causing a weird effect where the front post is dropping down while rear posts rise.

The weapon lag could be removed only when firing.

If you set up your settings in a better way there shouldnt be much, if any, mouselag at all. ;)

(No vsync, 'render frames ahead/flip queue size' as low as possible, mouse smoothing settings set up properly for your PC/mouse combination, stuff like that)

I don't mean mouse lag.What I mean is the weapon dexterity setting.With crosshair showing raise and lower weapon rapidly and you will see it lags behind the actual mouse movement.It doesn't do this in side to side movement.

Has no one shot a rifle before? You get the recoil IRL, but with the muscle memory it won't do that ridiculous climbing thing it does there.

Maybe tone it down to the point where it comes back down and is slightly off center. Kinda like how the old version is...

I want MilSim!! Not Battlefield: Bad Company 2.5, please don't take the run and gun balance system and put it in Arma...

For those that say its realistic, and I am sure 99% of you have not shot a gun before.

When he adjusts his rifle, thats automatic, he does not have to actually think to do it, its his muscle memory. He just needs to adjust slightly to put the rounds exactly where he wants them. Watch any soldier firing weapons on Youtube, its all the same, after firing the gun, it automatically goes right back to its position and the soldier barely has to adjust a hair to put what hes firing on back in his crosshairs and he squeezes another round down range.

Please don't put this horrible run and gun balance system in a tactical game like Arma... it ruins it completely.