Sign in to follow this  
nodunit

Do you feel your Arma2 is too dull or colorless? Then this may interest you.

Have you ever felt that what you see in the game feels lifeless or dull? Are the colors in your game very desaturated and lacking in rich..coloring?

This can easily be solved by tinkering with the Gamma and Brightness sliders in video options, letting you adjust the darkness and richeness of certain things, used in junction you can gain the richness of the Gamma and adjust things to not be too dark with Brightness.

You will not suffer more HDR from this, it will be the same but it may be more noticeable since you are using different settings, you should not suffer any performance issues either.

If you believe the game lacks color and it feels too dull or lifeless because of it then try the Value sliders, then go have a stroll in Chernarus you will see a vast difference.

For reference my current favored values are 1.1 Brightness and 0.9 Gamma, if you use any modified values and would like to share them please do since no one value set will work for everyone given we all use different settings and types of monitors.

Edited by NodUnit
better title

My settings are quite low to get more colours. Just as you say it makes a big difference. I watched one of my friends play arma2 on his computer and it looked all shit because he had the default settings, it looked dry and bad.

What I do is I adjust the brightness until I get some nice colours, not to white nor black. Then I adjust gamma to make it look good and more vivid. Then its just to tweak using small adjustments until its ok. I always make sure that a cloudy moonless night is truly black as well.

The values are less then 1.0. Its very dependent on your screen so exact values doesnt matter.

I agree with the impression of Arma2 colors being way too desaturated. I solved it with ATI CCC, adding more saturation makes it look a lot beter in my opinion.

Watching videos and screens of Arrowhead, it seemed to me that colors were slightly more saturated... not really sure. At least shadows do look darker.

Gamma & brightness setting and the calibration of your monitor (monitor brightness/contrast setup is crucial before any in-game settings) are mainly for setting proper perceived black/greys.

I have my monitor calibrated via adobe gamma for use with photoshop so I know what I see on my monitor is the same elswehere or as neutral as possible. Then set in game gamma to suit, the idea is mainly to make black less grey and as black to = black plus white less blinding, also the tones in between so at night or dawn/dusk you are still getting a good view of your surroundings at low light, strike that balance and you rgood to go.

To anyone wanting this done right you have setting in your drivers both nvidia / ATi have this section to calibrate your monitors brightness & contrast (the monitors hardware settings from the front buttons) for overall look in windows/images, do this first, then set your game. If you run saturation etc make sure its set to a profile just for loading that game so you have no overall effect with desktop or other games.

I guess its much like music, mixing music so its the same on systems of which the user can then set EQ to enhance if they wish, pretty much the same but visual.

Edited by mrcash2009

Most games that I've played have some sort of "Wizard" to help adjust monitor colouration display settings to achieve the best possible level of contrast, gamma and/or brightness. I wonder why ArmA 2 doesn't have one? :confused:

For reference my current favored values are 1.1 Brightness and 0.9 Gamma, if you use any modified values and would like to share them please do since no one value set will work for everyone given we all use different settings and types of monitors.

Those settings, in conjunction with the "Movie Filter - Day" module makes the game look nearly life-like. ;)

Edited by Laqueesha

If you are using nVidia another option is to increase the Digital Vibrance slider in the control panel a bit.

/KC

Too dull and colorless? At night mission, quite the opposite - so I turn down both the brightness and contrast using post processing effects, then add a little blue. When in the dark, your eyes don't pick up color as easily, so contrast is lost. Also the moon provides just way too much brightness. Although sadly, the glowing atmosphere provides no light at all.

Too dull and colorless? At night mission, quite the opposite - so I turn down both the brightness and contrast using post processing effects, then add a little blue. When in the dark, your eyes don't pick up color as easily, so contrast is lost. Also the moon provides just way too much brightness. Although sadly, the glowing atmosphere provides no light at all.

Would that explain why it looks like crap when you turn on your NVG then turn them off?

..A full moon or even a partial moon on a less than cloudy sky is quite bright, even out in the sticks.

Most games that I've played have some sort of "Wizard" to help adjust monitor colouration display settings to achieve the best possible level of contrast, gamma and/or brightness. I wonder why ArmA 2 doesn't have one? :confused:

Those settings, in conjunction with the "Movie Filter - Day" module makes the game look nearly life-like. ;)

I was not aware of this module, I'll tinker with it some.

By the way KeyCat is this only for recent Nvidia cards or is it something you download to the options? I checked and saw nothing of the sort, just something about dynamic contrast range..or something like that.

I was not aware of this module, I'll tinker with it some.

By the way KeyCat is this only for recent Nvidia cards or is it something you download to the options? I checked and saw nothing of the sort, just something about dynamic contrast range..or something like that.

It's under "Display/Adjust desktop color settings" in my CP.

Ah yes there it is *ticks a box* Holy crap! *Blinded* Oh nice..greyscale and color enrichment..enough that my eyes are screaming at me "These are not natural colors fix it!" Thank you for that I will definately be fiddling with this and probably be giving myself eye strain for awhile.

Edited by NodUnit

What I think would make A2 look even better has to do with using NVG during daytime.Turn on the nightvision goggles during day and then turn them off.As your eyes adjust again you'll notice at a certain point that the world looks sunny like in real life.Problem is that it keeps going past this point and the world turns super drab and lifeless like if A2 was always in bad murky weather.

I must have my stuff set up just right, cause it looks pretty damn good when I play.

lol @ this thread.

"if you dont like the colours on your game, then adjust the options to adjust the colours in the game"

Thanks for the tip! :p

Now if i could just get a tip to deal with the ingame difficulty, i feel it is tooo hard :D

Sorry for necroing this thread, but does anyone know where to get this module? I can't find it anywhere. Or any other module that adds more colour to this very drab looking game?

Sorry for necroing this thread, but does anyone know where to get this module? I can't find it anywhere. Or any other module that adds more colour to this very drab looking game?

It is in the modules section in the editor, I believe the key is F7.

AFAIK there is a Colors module but that makes it even more depressing, almost OFP:DR like ;)

It is in the modules section in the editor, I believe the key is F7.

Er... What use it this? Is it for when I want to create a mission from scratch? I am not planning on doing thta. No .pbo to put somewhere and have better colors in all missions?

Er... What use it this? Is it for when I want to create a mission from scratch? I am not planning on doing thta. No .pbo to put somewhere and have better colors in all missions?

Open up the editor, pick a map. Click on the map (double click) after pressing F7. A menu should pop up. Choose the module in question and place it on the map. Then click Preview.

1. I don't see the difference with or without the day filter. I do see difference with the night filter.

2. I still don't see how creating my own map would would change colors in other people's maps, that's my goal, and I thought the filter was a pbo that would correct game effects. If it's not, it would have been easier to just say so ;).

3. When I save the game or it does an autosave, it's like the engine disables its "crappycolorfilterthatthedevsthinkiscool" module, and for a couple of seconds we have a beautiful, even a bit too saturated, image. Any way to retrieve this?

1. I don't see the difference with or without the day filter. I do see difference with the night filter.

2. I still don't see how creating my own map would would change colors in other people's maps, that's my goal, and I thought the filter was a pbo that would correct game effects. If it's not, it would have been easier to just say so ;).

3. When I save the game or it does an autosave, it's like the engine disables its "crappycolorfilterthatthedevsthinkiscool" module, and for a couple of seconds we have a beautiful, even a bit too saturated, image. Any way to retrieve this?

Yes. You are looking for ColorCorrections. (Easiest way is too search for an example on this forum and then adjust that to what you want)