Sign in to follow this  
Azamato

Any good old games?

Does anyone know G-Police?

Was of Psygnosis (or however the company was called) and I really, really liked the story. Plus, the render scenes where quite nice for that time. Sadly part two was only for Playstation and ended with a huge cliffhanger...

Edited by kavoven

Was one Psygnosis (or however the company was called) and I really, really liked the story. Plus, the render scenes where quite nice for that time. Sadly part two was only for Playstation and ended with a huge cliffhanger...

I havent played that game in ages. It was a good game, but I prefer Colony Wars 1 and 2.

good old games? ffs guys, the only real answer is: OPERATION FLASHPOINT...

Motocross Madness. That game was the reason I got myself a PC.

Me and some friends still plays it now and then.

Adventure games don't get old, so no good old games there :D

Check them out and find a good theme for you.

If I was about to install any old game, I would go for Jagged Alliance 2.5 or decent strategy game.

Was one Psygnosis (or however the company was called) and I really, really liked the story. Plus, the render scenes where quite nice for that time. Sadly part two was only for Playstation and ended with a huge cliffhanger...

That was a great game (if it's the one i'm thinking about). Was pretty shocked when the story suddenly launched into space!

Loved that game.

2 months ago I tried to reinstall G-police on my vista machine. It worked beautifully for a little while then I lost stick support. Impossible for me to play it without the stick :( The game needed to be reinstalled over and over just to get the stick to work for 1 mission.

I didn't even notice the options for heavy traffic and different rez's back in the day. It still looks nice.

When it works, it's one of my most favorite games of all time.

I can only second the recommendation for adventure games if you like the genre. Apart from that one 'old' game I regularly play is the free remake of Traffic Tycoon Deluxe (OpenTTD) - available for Linux, Windows and Mac. A good way to pass boring train rides. Or, get some older rpg games: very old ones like the original Fallout series, or newer ones like the first Neverwinter Night or the first two Gothic games - all should work well with current gen onboard graphics.

Motocross Madness. That game was the reason I got myself a PC.

Me and some friends still plays it now and then.

My friend and I play Motocross madness 2 quite often. :) Great fun.

Also Flatout 2.

Was of Psygnosis (or however the company was called) and I really, really liked the story. Plus, the render scenes where quite nice for that time. Sadly part two was only for Playstation and ended with a huge cliffhanger...

I freakin love that game. I bought a version for PC not long ago but it turned out to be in French. I may buy a PS2 just so I can get a copy of that game.

Oh, and how about this one? The Tresspasser!

A game released in 1998 (just for comparison, two years after Duke 3D and the same year as Half Life 1) that featured large outdoor landscapes never before seen in an FPS game and I also believe it was the first game to incorporate real-time physics engine into an FPS game, as well as some form of rag-doll. Valve once said that they were inspired by this game to create their own engine that could simulate physics (Source engine in Half Life 2) and it is also said that even our beloved Bohemia Interactive liked the idea of "the free hand" which ultimately became free look and floating zone in OFP series.

Trespasser's developement was very expensive, the game was incredibly hyped and it was also incredibly buggy at the time of release, a lot of reviewers gave it marks like "the worst game ever" ... however, looking at it from today's point of view, it is a game that changed the future of gaming. Must try! :cool:

I have to agree.

I loved trespasser despite it's many problems.

It was completely HUD-less too, meaning your character would pick up a weapon and said something like 'feels half-full' and she would count down the shots till the weapon was empty.

Health was shown by a breast tattoo of a heart that filled up as you took damage. You could see your body so you had to look down at your body to check (your epic cleavage.. :P)

The physics were very basic but for example allowed one to shoot out the supports of a trailer standing on a hill, making it tumble down crushing any dinosaurs beneath it.

What i absolutely loved though was the weapons being in actual 3d, and they could get stuck on objects because of it.

I well remember that one time i was carrying an automatic shotgun thinking i'm all badass and able to safe myself. Then i got charged by two raptors, so i swung around but in the process my shotgun got stuck on several wooden crates (ah, crates. The epic scenery of older shooters).

So that left me frantically trying to swing it around the crates to take aim, the raptors approaching hard and fast, i got the free-aiming ironsights up but i was dead before i could pull the trigger. My heart was pounding 200 beats per minute :D

I also read that there were no animations ready-made for the dinosaurs, but that they were procedurally (sp?) generated, meaning the game made them up as it went.

It made for some weird animations at times, like a raptor dipping his belly onto the ground while walking after getting shot, pretty funny.

Another thing they were trying to implement was AI which let the dinosaurs choose what to do based on several parameters.

For example if a dino was cold he would seek shelter in a building, if he was properly fed a raptor might ignore you and just walk by not caring, if creatures got scared they would run away etc.

The end result was however that thanks to the many choices they could make, the AI couldnt decide, resulting in dinosaurs remaining frozen in place cycling through all the options :p

So in the end they just made all the carnivores agressive and attack you, and the herbivores passive etc.

The amount of innovations in the Trespasser are simply amazing if you try to play it now and think about it.

Pretty much any of the stuff they tried is unheard of in today's development teams.

Yeah Trespasser was a great ground-breaking game. But it did suffer from over-simulation. Using The Arm was like using your own arm when it has gone to sleep. One thing about making an ingame avatar - make it so that you don't need to learn how to do stuff you already can do, like pick up simple stuff and move it about :D

except OFP ?

AVP1 - woooow, scary atmosphere

RTCW - suuuper , this will never rust, still amazing

Project IGI 1

Max Payne 1 (maybe need better PC than onboard ?)

Ooo for me id go for:

Avp1+2

Hidden & Dangerous 1+2

GTA 1,2,3

Rainbow Six, Rogue Spear

Vietcong.

Classics all well beyond there time.

Freespace 1+2 (some of the best games evar!), space combaty sim things

X-COM series, turn based strategy

The earlier Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon games

That's all I can think about.

No one lives forever 2 - you can sneak into russian bases, avoid/kill guards, sniper-towers, flashlights, sabotage fuel tanks/generators, power lines etc etc

I wish infiltrating bases in ArmA X would be like NOLF2. :)

good more or less old games that are always enjoyable now, no particular order other than alphabetical :

Aces of the deep

Age of Wonders : Shadow Magic

Carrier Command

Darklands

Dungeon Crawl

Ghost Recon

Heroes of Might&Magic 3

Homeworld

Jagged Alliance 2

Master of Magic

Master of Orion

Master of Orion 2

Morrowind

Red Storm Rising

Rogue Spear

Steel Panthers : Main Battle Tank

Thief 2 :The Metal Age

XCOM Ufo Defense

Take those if you are stuck on a desert island with a computer and electricity, you'll be able to not be bored for years.

But you'll certainly die from starvation or dehydration first.

Edited by Sanctuary

Here is my list

TA

Mech warrior 1,2,3,4 and Merc. packs for each of them

Mech commander 1 and GOLD

ARMA (its a little old i guess)

Lords of Magic(This game will eat up mindless hours i have over 1,000 hours if i count the time i have had it from the 90s)

And last but not least...

If you are able to do it spend 10$ at a arcade. It reminds me of the old days and is the great way to remind yourself what gaming use to be or still it. Pulling the trigger faster and with cat like timing

i think swat 3 elite edition was one of the best games i ever bought for a long time. especially the ten man coop missions with nothing but pistols on. baaaad.

i think swat 3 elite edition was one of the best games i ever bought for a long time. especially the ten man coop missions with nothing but pistols on. baaaad.
I second that. Sadly though the MP servers were taken down about 2 or 3 years ago and the last mod download site shutdown about a year ago. You can however play MP through LAN.

I agree SWAT3 was a fantastic game and was certainly one of the few i played a lot on multiplayer.

One of the finest coop experience one could experience.

The lobbies were a genius concept to setup games.

I wish every developers would give a look on how the SWAT3 lobbies worked, it was so much much better than any server browsers that is found in every multiplayer menus these days.

And one of the most underrated games ever: Soldiers of Anarchy

Okay, it had more bugs than OFP 1.00 but ....who cares :D

Wow, I remember I played demo of this looong time ago that I got from a magazine. Never played the full game and couldn't remember the name.

Conflict Zone was a nice RTS, at least how i remembered it.

It was an RTS game with a pretty unique point of view, the amount of money you made was directly tied to propaganda.

As the blufor faction you had to save civilians, and you gained or lost popularity by saving or killing civilians, with visible results in your cashflow.

The less popular you are, the slower the cashflow is, the sooner you'll be overrun by the enemy.

I remember you could train special cameramen who you could send on a mission, but you had to be very careful they didnt film the wrong stuff because they had a pretty big effect on the cashflow when they accidentally tape a artillery misfire :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflict_Zone_(game)