Sign in to follow this  
pravinrocks4u

Hurt Locker & Arma II

Can somebody list name of few of Military / War movies which are worth watching. :bounce3:

Can somebody list name of few of Military / War movies which are worth watching. :bounce3:

Das Boot - my personal favourite, the best submarine-themed movie so far (and ever ever :p). Effects, music, atmosphere, cast, believable characters, acting performance, attention to detail, authenticity, absolutely no propagandistic agenda, story line. Modern war movies usually fail at least in one of these aspects, Das Boot failed in none.

Be sure to get the Director's Edition, standard is shorter becase they had to fit it on the VHS :p

Isn't Das Boot in German, though? Must have English subtitles if it does.

Band of Brothers and The Pacific aren't movies but 10 part miniseries each, but they are better than some movies I've watched and two of my all-time favorite cinematic war adaptations. I'd recommend checking them out if you haven't already.

Isn't Das Boot in German, though? Must have English subtitles if it does.

Band of Brothers and The Pacific aren't movies but 10 part miniseries each, but they are better than some movies I've watched and two of my all-time favorite cinematic war adaptations. I'd recommend checking them out if you haven't already.

It is. That's why I added "authenticity" as a plus. Nothing is worse than when german soldiers speak english (oh wait, there is... when they speak english with wannabe gerrrmen akzzzent :p). From the recent movies, think of Valkyrie and how better it would be with actual german actors.

Band of Brothers is great cinematic experience indeed, The Pacific is just good (compared to BoB).

Besides Band of Brothers, The Pacific (not as deep in terms of character development imo as BoB) and Das Boot already mentioned in this thread, the first that spring to mind are:

[battle for Haditha] (English)

[Talvisota] (Finnish)

[stalingrad] (German)

[Cross of Iron] (mainly English, also German and Russian)

[All Quiet on the Western Front] (German)

[Der Untergang] (German)

[9th Company] (Russian)

[indigènes] (French)

[El Alamein] (Italian)

Movies about wars made in the US by the larger studios are entertaining most of the time, but are mostly shallow and unrealistic imo. I just thought a minute or so about movies that I liked to include, and none of those in my list was made by a major US corporation.

Well, let's be nice:

[Letters from Iwo Jima] (Japanese)

Apocalypse Now was more about the rampant use of drugs by US troops than it was about the Vietnam war, so it doesn't count :p

Strange how the specifically trained British Forces unit had to be rescued by the American bomb squad, with their own weapons.

If I recall correctly, I believe they were mercenaries.

I have to ask why the 50 cal on the vehicle wasn't used to pepper that entire building to the ground.

I asked myself the same thing, mate. It's a sad thing that M2HB's don't get a lot of love in movies.

Kelly's Heroes.

Edited by DMarkwick

Besides Band of Brothers, The Pacific (not as deep in terms of character development imo as BoB) and Das Boot already mentioned in this thread, the first that spring to mind are:

[battle for Haditha] (English)

[Talvisota] (Finnish)

[stalingrad] (German)

[Cross of Iron] (mainly English, also German and Russian)

[All Quiet on the Western Front] (German)

[Der Untergang] (German)

[9th Company] (Russian)

[indigènes] (French)

[El Alamein] (Italian)

Movies about wars made in the US by the larger studios are entertaining most of the time, but are mostly shallow and unrealistic imo. I just thought a minute or so about movies that I liked to include, and none of those in my list was made by a major US corporation.

Well, let's be nice:

[Letters from Iwo Jima] (Japanese)

Apocalypse Now was more about the rampant use of drugs by US troops than it was about the Vietnam war, so it doesn't count :p

Apocalypse Now was more about the battle against the mind that just happened to be set in a war zone. It's worth reading Heart of Darkness if you like the film, it's what they based the movie on.

Stalingrad is a superb film. I found it in HMV a few years ago for a fiver and wasn't expecting much, but was plesently surprised with it's depth and atmosphere. It does a brilliant job of portraying the realities of being on the losing side of a conflict.

If I recall correctly, I believe they were mercenaries.

That's what I first thought when they appeared, but there was something that made me think they were forces. But I cannot remember what that thing was :D

think of Valkyrie and how better it would be with actual german .

I could'nt get past the fact that it was a German plot, in Germany spoken in English, spoiled the entire film ... (Also maybe because Tom Fail was in it :yay:)

Well, let's be nice:

Whats up with Thin Red Line ? That is an awful film.

While I did enjoy the movie, I certainly did not think that it was deserving of the Academy Award for Best Picture.

This.

Enjoyable but ultimately mediocre war film from my perspective.

Zombie movies FTW.

Whats up with Thin Red Line ? That is an awful film.

I thought it was a bad movie compared to Saving Private Ryan and that the competition made it look worse than it really was (they both came out in 1998), but then when I watched it again a few years later, I found out that it was just a bad movie with or without the comparison.

Another batch:

[Zwartboek / Black Book] (Dutch & German)

[soldaat van Oranje / Soldier of Orange]

[Waterloo] (English)

[Joyeux Noël] (English, also French and German)

[The Lost Battalion] (English)

[The Killing Fields] (English mainly)

[To Hell and Back] (English)

[saints and Soldiers] (English)

[Warriors] (English)

[savior] (English mainly)

[No Man's Land] (many languages)

[Master and Commander] (English)

[bravo Two Zero] (English)

[Passchendaele] (English)

[Regeneration] (English)

I thought this was about the best movie I've ever seen. The cinematography was incredible especially in the high tension scenes. Just the way they filmed everything was incredibly high-tension. I definetely think this movie is up there with Saving Private Ryan. I interpreted the plot as this guy (forgot the main character's name) had a way that he gets an adrenaline rush by going to war. Because of this he gets his squad into crazy situations. This is shown even better at the end when he is home and tries to go cereal shopping. He'll never be able to fit in with a "normal" life.

I just have to big up Das Boot & 9th Company. Dont get put off that they both need subs (for english). Fantastic works of cinema.... So much better than any of the big budget hollywood stuff.

A bit off topic and i dont want to derail this, but for those that like a good read keep an eye out for a book call "The Forgotten Soldier". Eastern front, from the perspective of a franco-german grunt. Definatly one of the most sobering books about WW2 and it makes a change to get a German perspective.

I'm gonna go out-on-a-limb here and say you're ex-serving/currently serving. Those who've served/are serving seem to have a real natural hatred for this movie. :p

The first one is correct. Can someone make a mod where I can't fire my M107 because there is blood on the bullets? Assuming I have time to lay behind the scope of a rifle where the previous shooter had just been taken out, all the while being outranged by someone with a Dragunov. The sniper scene is as far as I could get. I stopped and deleted the movie there. I also pirated this film, I see they want to sue folks like me, but I say they owe me money.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/media/the-hurt-locker-pirate-lawsuits/19475089/

If this won an Oscar, Black Hawk Down should have.

Edited by HyperU2

I liked hurt locker, I thought it was quite a good film. Some soldiers said it was an accurate portrayal of soldier life (as a bomb disposal) and others say its not accurate at all. I look at those comments and think every soldier fights his own war and no 2 soldiers are going to view war the same way. I mean would a combat medic say he has the same experience in war as a tank commander or a apache pilot? Not at all, some are begging their C/O to put them back in the fight while others are on the flight home crying and twitching in thir own piss. So i view the comments lightly, and unless someone makes a film where the majority of the film is soldiers doing guard/border control duty, overnight watch, checking the odd coke can in the road for ieds, dealing with the locals to win hearts and minds and having to check out an explosion that happened 3 blocks away, then people would find it a very boring film. Unfortunatly this very boring film is more of an accurate portrayal of a soldiers day to day activities than the non stop hollywood war of dodging bullets that the average US army soldier is suppost to fight every day.

I really really hated the hurt locker. I don't serve and had not served before.......does that make me weird...?

No, it just seems that servicemen have an inclination to hate this movie. I've yet to meet one who disregarded the realism discrepancies and reviewed the movie on it being just that - a movie. Not that I'm saying it's a good movie, nor that it isn't understandable for them to have said inclination.

No, it just seems that servicemen have an inclination to hate this movie. I've yet to meet one who disregarded the realism discrepancies and reviewed the movie on it being just that - a movie. Not that I'm saying it's a good movie, nor that it isn't understandable for them to have said inclination.

Indeed, as you know I've been in the British Army and some of the things that go on in this movie are :butbut:

But at the end of the day I just sit back with a beer, relax and watch it :)

A Bridge Too Far is one of my favourite war films. Possibly just for the sound track.

Can't believe no one has mentioned Black Hawk Down yet, superb film in my book. Band of Brothers gets another vote too, great stuff.