Sign in to follow this  
nettrucker

Why are you playing BIS games?

I always wondered what got me into BIS games in a first place? What

is it that keeps me playing this series for 9 long years without ever

annoying myself? Why is it, that I can't get the same satisfaction

when playing other wargames? Why do I get more satisfaction when

playing BIS games rather than any other game?

1.) Thew first time I saw a buddy of mine playing OFP, I got

immediately fascinated. I guess the main reason, I went immediately after that to buy the game, was the absolute freedom of movement I haven't seen in any other game before.

I was so damn excited when I played "Steal the car" and I got my butt handed over regularly. I realized that this was a complete different playstyle and that I had to learn first to play this game. It was so

great that you could approach your objective from everywhere you

wanted and you were not forced to follow a predefined path.

I loved the size of the battlefields. I had never seen maps as big as

Everon or Malden in any other game I played before.

2.) The CWC campaign got me hooked. I could easily identify myself

with David Armstrong. After playing throughout the campaign I wanted to understand how was it done and I got attracted by the editor.

3.) I'm mostly doing stuff in editor and that's what I'm doing ever since. My favourite feature of the game definitely is the editor.

4.) In 2004 I finally decided to become an ufficial member of the forums and I found so many like minded people which are really fascinated and dedicated in a similar way as me.

5.) The modding community is one of the strongest in the entire game communities. A lot talented people releasing daily new stuff. It's nearly impossible to try out everything. You can play for years and you won't get annoyed.

6.) Our 3D model artists and texture artist are top notch. The quality of most addons are outstanding. Especially our Island makers

did some stunnig releases. I love you guys, Islands are my favourite toys.

7.) I had unfortunately only a brief pleasure in online playing on Charly Foxtrott servers due to real life issues. But it was great and I had a lot of fun. I would have liked to go on but it was too much time consuming which I unfortunately don't have.

8.) I'm part of the best community in the world.

That are my reasons for playing BIS games and the reason while I'm still here.

So why are you playing?:D

the opportunity to be involved in a sort of simulative firefights without getting

a truth bullet in ass,simple :D

ARMA 2 with ACE mod (and even without it) is something that has no competition, except the earlier games in the series. Immersive, realistic and massive battlegrounds. These games keep you in their grip even when there's nothing happening around you, just sitting in an APC with your mates and chatting with them, while you're being transported to another base or even to combat. It's those small things that add up to the feeling. Sure, movement isn't as fluid as some other games and this drives some people away, but if you took time to familiarise yourself with the game, you see that underneath that clumsy movement and sometimes slow pace of action, there is a heart of gold. Learning curve is somewhat steep but once you get the hang of it, you'll love it.

Even with lots of bugs and low FPS, I've had more fun with OFP and ARMA (2) than with any Call of Duty or Battlefield.

Simple! The editor! i love playing in the editor... If it wasnt for the editor i would not be playing this game. the campaigns are weak in my very humble opinion :)

Simple! The editor! i love playing in the editor... If it wasnt for the editor i would not be playing this game. the campaigns are weak in my very humble opinion :)

not only in your opinion :D

Hehe nice topic ... Operation Flashpoint saved me from Counterstrike once. :) Basicly it is/was the complete opposite. The editor kept me busy all the time. Now ArmA II is not only a mission generator, but a movie generator for me as well. Documentation could be better though.

+1!

Also i love making missions and playing with mods in the editor.

"In ArmA 2 you could almost do ANYTHING"

Well, iin my humble oppinion, t's the best shooting game ever relesed to date.

Then you have what you can fly/ drive/ shoot ingame. Then the addons/ mods, etc.

The community. The good people we play MP with (Ya know, non-rambo, non-boom stick snipers pilot types.) Then the jewel in the crown, The Editor.

Happy days!

:DI love BIS,and have lost interest in any other game. I have no idea about the reason.

I daiy play Ofp,it become a part of life to me,iam playing it from 2 years.when i play IGI2, there is a promotional video of ofp there.that video attract me very much.but i play two other game also Ea cricket 05/07/Ashes desert storm 1/2.

BIS obviously has the exact same vision as me when it comes to what game to make. I could only dream about it (which I did) until they made it!

So I keep playing this as its what I want and need. An escapism into a world of war, spec ops, flying, nature and friends.

Thank you BIS.

there are a lot of people I try to turn on to the games Arma and Arma 2, and they all think it's too hard to handle - the controls are too many, the head/gun movement too confusing, the AI and glitches all make game a bit weird, etc etc and downloading 3Gb of mods to join a server is a big turn off.

Still, I try, and the guys who do play on our server enjoy:

a) the teamplay / the camaraderie/ havingto cover each other, rely on each other for pick-up/ ammo etc

b) the firefights, going from quiet birdsong and banter to tracer filled chaos in a split second

c) the shared immersion in experiences - cowering beneath a bridge as 2 havocs/ hinds/ kamovs circle above decrying thefact that none of us brought a stinger or an MG / or lying on a hill waiting for the rain to pass with our barretts calibrated to 1200 yards...

d) the joy of new mods - flying a wing of F4's for the first time on Duala - we were skimming the airfield at 3m alt and blowing each others windows out...

e) lastly, and most importantly - there are few noobs - kids who go on about their racist, stupid, expletive-ridden fantasies or bang on at the admins while youre trying to play, and you can spawn without being blown up by a bag of incoming nades (COD RIP)

we love you BIS, and all your flaws... heal me medic, not in a minute, NOW! no, don't go over there and lie down in front of the enemy, come back and damn well heal me goddammit!!!

"no, don't go over there and lie down in front of the enemy, come back"

LOL, isn't that the truth.

Addiction I guess.

Plus I get to make my own content, the fact that bullet actually exits the muzzle and not just hits the round circle in the middle of the screen and the fact that I can see "my" body when I look around instead of being a floating gun.

STGN

Because my landlord won't accept physical favours for rent.

:p

I'm still playing BIS' after all these years because no other game offers the complexity and versatility that OFP, ArmA and ArmA 2 do. I can pretty much do anything I want with the game if I'm willing to put in the effort to do so. It's like one giant sandbox. Plus, BIS are easily the most dedicated developers in the gaming industry and know of what their community wants and needs the most, and then indulges them.

there's nothing like them. ofp, arma, and arma2, are the only games that i really have played for a very long time. most games (bad co 2, mw2 etc) i play for a month, then they get old. bis never cease to amaze me.

For me it's definitely the editor and the absolute freedom you have, there are litererally no limitations at all. Also the long time support for their titles while other companies give up once the money is made.

And besides that I think Suma implemented some sort of digital, addictive drug to the game which makes certain people addicted to their games. :)

And besides that I think Suma implemented some sort of digital, addictive drug to the game which makes certain people addicted to their games. :)

Ooh, i see, it makes sense now! digital drugs :D i used to use my computer for design, now its completely dedicated to arma, my destop is littered with all sorts of arma files, mod folders, script notes... too bad i dont know what im doing :p

Its about to change when the missus moves in though :(:D

Edited by Katipo66

Simple.

Because they are the best games i have ever played. :bounce3:

Simple.

Because they are the best games i have ever played. :bounce3:

ya,and lost interest in any other game.:cool:

Because of BIS´ (over)ambitions, the resulting (sometimes lunatic)experience and their "mind to mend it":p

In truth, it´s all about possibilities and in Bis games you have more than in any other.

Edited by @ST

Because i wish to support BI, I love the editor, and I love the lack of BF2 playing, completely non-tactical, cussing, teabagging, 13 year old idiots.