Sign in to follow this  
Redfield-77

How is ARMA 2 doing lately?

I bought A2 the day it came out and loved it but several issues with bugs and such made me decide to put in on the shelf for a bit. Im ready to re-install and try again but I have not played since 1.02 patch. I am just looking for some feedback on the latest 1.05 patch to see if things are running smooth or if I should just wait for a few more patches. TIA!

Works brilliantly for me. Units still get stuck on the flat every now and then but its really good.

BIS have done some good work leading up to Christmas.

There is plenty of Mods to help as well. Try Kju's Proper Tweaks and there are heaps more, just have a look around.

The game is pretty much spot on with the 1.05 patch, im having very few issues worth complaining about. The only main one with this latest patch is that AI squadmates seem to get stuck in danger mode even with no enemies around, which can make things very slow when trying to cross decent sized distances to the next objective on foot. AI drivers still have problems with pathfinding too, but other than that everything is great as far as im concerned & im sure BIS will fix the AI a little more for us :)

The only main one with this latest patch is that AI squadmates seem to get stuck in danger mode even with no enemies around, which can make things very slow when trying to cross decent sized distances to the next objective on foot.

Can't copy that. I'm playing the campaign with patch 1.05 the first time and my AI team never got stucked or was left behind. Just change their behaviour from danger to safe mode after a battle, that's the task of the group leader.

Until the campaign mission Bitter Chill I only found 3 bugs so far:

- MV-22 crashed during a cutsequence into some trees (happened one time in One Week later)

- Missioncritical officer died for no reason (happened one time in Manhattan)

- Civilians like to kill other civilians while driving very fast in a car ;) (happened one time)

However they're not really reproducible. Please note that I only mean the campaign. Most bugs are noticed while creating missions, scripts or mods right now. The rest should be 'less proper optical and technical design' issues. There are still some bugs inside the game, but definately not as much as at the release date. BI has done a great job in fixing all that stuff.

I bought A2 the day it came out and loved it but several issues with bugs and such made me decide to put in on the shelf for a bit. Im ready to re-install and try again but I have not played since 1.02 patch. I am just looking for some feedback on the latest 1.05 patch to see if things are running smooth or if I should just wait for a few more patches. TIA!

The game is running really good but the campaign is still the same. Skip that and download user made campaigns and missions or play online.

The game is running really good but the campaign is still the same. Skip that and download user made campaigns and missions or play online.

Campaign still the same? What do you mean? We cant expect BIS to add more gameplay to the campaign, and the patches have already fixed the game so the campaign is playable.

Campaign plays great now. There's no lag in the cities after 1.05. The urban area are completely drawn. With 1.05 patch, I've been able to increase view distance, and video settings. THANKS BI DEVS and COMMUNITY for all your work on this game! Can't wait for OA to come out!

Most impressive to me is the way AI fights now.

They took cover a lot more, and give a hell of a lot more suppressive fire.

It's great fun plonking two squads in a city in the editor and let them run into eachother.

Yesterday i watched down a street scoping out the direction of incoming fire when i noticed the other AI soldier 150 yards up the street on the other side, leaning out of cover and only exposing his head and rifle, firing at me.

He was doing the exact same thing i was doing, and it's amazing how many times i can get suppressed now where before it would never happen.

1.05 is like an AI miracle patch, except for the driving part which has been improved but still isnt amazing. And the occasional helicopter crash (but i can imagine it being shot down with a strela or something :)).

The infantry experience is amazing now though, and you can experience in almost any kind of environment now: europe, snow, and desert terrain.

@Grub:

And you'll be glad to hear that there is no DVD check with patch 1.05 anymore :) Playing ArmA II without having the disc inside the drive is great! Thanks BI!

I'll just stress that "shooting at you" is not the same as "suppressing you". You may feel suppressed by machinegunners, but unless scripted they won't be in "suppressing mode", where they continue to shoot even after you left the area.

At least I've never seen "suppression mode" happening simply by placing groups around and guide them into contact.

Thanks for all the feedback. It sounds like Arma 2 has shaped up quite well. Are there any "must have" add-ons I should install? I know everyone has their favorites but I want to know wich ones are considered standard like ACE.

I but unless scripted they won't be in "suppressing mode", where they continue to shoot even after you left the area.

You are not correct in this bit. AI, esp. machine gunners, use suppression a lot as common tactics and you can observe it in many situations.

Most impressive to me is the way AI fights now.

They took cover a lot more, and give a hell of a lot more suppressive fire.

Ditto. Awesome they are.

Sure, they still occasionaly have their "dumb" moments, but not so obvious anyomre I would say.

Almost, almost makes MP PvP defunct now lol ;) .

Gnat;1536587']Almost' date=' almost makes MP PvP defunct now lol ;) .[/quote']

Ya wat!..... running... outta... breath.... how... dare..... you......:hang:

dont be a sissy and install it your self, does your mom pick your socks for you to wear?....

Can't copy that. I'm playing the campaign with patch 1.05 the first time and my AI team never got stucked or was left behind. Just change their behaviour from danger to safe mode after a battle, that's the task of the group leader.

Yeah ive tried that loads of times, but they wont keep pace with me even after ive put them in safe, & they still move really cautiously which is fine when under fire but not when trying to pull back quickly or get somewhere fast. Plenty of others have mentioned it on here since 1.05 came out too.

As for the OP asking about add ons, ive added a couple of extra islands & im running VOP sound which works really well. Ive also got the "extra vehicles & weapons" one running. ive tried several others but they didnt seem to work as well as I hoped so I got rid of them. ACE seems to be the one everyones talking about but I havent tried it yet :)

You are not correct in this bit. AI, esp. machine gunners, use suppression a lot as common tactics and you can observe it in many situations.

Is this really the case? Because from the player's perspective it looks more like they're trying to shoot you through terrain, walls and other objects.

dont be a sissy and install it your self, does your mom pick your socks for you to wear?....

kklownboy, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

True if I'm hiding "behind" a tree, or something that gives me inadequate cover (when I'm in desperate need for more :D). Same also if I stay near the edge of a house. But once I move into "solid cover" and away from my "last position rectangle", my experience is that even machine gunners won't continue to suppress unless ordered to.

Using team switching and extended map info, I see that the enemies that I want to suppress me, have my expected position "out of reach" when this happens (distance from expected position and last seen position too great?). I'm reading this as "why by free will shoot into the last known position when we thinks he's not even there anymore?". With the commanded suppressive fire, you can prevent him from even trying to check out that position again (and potentially spot whoever is sent to flank him).

However, I do think that is the right way, so imho nothing is broken with it.

for me Arma1 and Arma2 are disappointments, because the advertised multicore support and realism are only bright words... the more AI on map, the less CPU-usage is; damage system is still 1/0-style with hitpoints... and so on....

---------- Post added at 22:04 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

btw, I bought Arma1, played it 1 time and then haven't played until bought Arma2 :D ocasionally i found arma1's disk in dust in a corner :D

It's doing great here :D

Just like OFP or Arma1: you buy the game and you keep getting back to it.

They are truely the only games that have this (well for me that is).

McArcher, seems like you are easy to disappoint. ArmA became a pretty damn good game with the patches.

It wasn't a disappointment for me, even the first versions were a lot better than OFP, and I was prepared for bugs. It would be unrealistic not to expect them in these kind of games.

ArmA2 Was a bit disappointing at start, but now I really enjoy it more and more.

I will be playing ArmA1/2 for years, and will have good times with it, and keep getting back, just like Yoma. Pretty unique for a game.

Edited by Azzur33