Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment - Public Beta!

Noticed a draw back with removing ranging of space button. The problem of not getting range when sitting in a combat heli or tank etc. Im sure this is hard to solve, but it makes you feel even more techincally challenged since ARMA2 fighting vehicles already are very simple.

Could a laser be put in and range show up somewhere on the screen while lasing? Same way as the laser designators and vector range binos maybe?

EDIT:

Are the hellfires laser guided only in the ACE update? I cant seem to lock them from any helicopter. I can lock when my AI is gunner but the hellfires miss - they fly forward. When i go manual fire i cant lock anything with them.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

I'm missing the range info too. I have range info enabled to counter the fact that I'm playing on a 2D limited resolution monitor, and rely on having that spacebar range info to give me an idea of what I'm looking at. And in particular to help me with firing grenades.

Noticed a draw back with removing ranging of space button. The problem of not getting range when sitting in a combat heli or tank etc. Im sure this is hard to solve, but it makes you feel even more techincally challenged since ARMA2 fighting vehicles already are very simple.

Why would you need to have range set on lock on target? For now i guess this will have to do until a proper FCS is implemented.

Are the hellfires laser guided only in the ACE update? I cant seem to lock them from any helicopter. I can lock when my AI is gunner but the hellfires miss - they fly forward. When i go manual fire i cant lock anything with them.

Alex

this has been fixed, yes, it was set to laser lock only by mistake

is actually anything like the jtd fire and smoke addon planned for ace?

it makes the hole game much more athmospheric.

Just a small example, fire and smoke near the end of movie.

Yes, JTD Fire & Smoke works fine with ACE. It's designed to be as independent from other mods as possible to allow for ubiquitous use :)

I have been contacted by Dev-Heaven on the topic of Fire & Smoke in ACE, but I cannot access the relevant issue that's been assigned to me for some reason. However, my own thoughts are that JTD Fire & Smoke works as-is already, and there seems to be little benefit (to either party) in merging. Unless of course there's stuff I haven't considered or heard about yet :D

Why would you need to have range set on lock on target? For now i guess this will have to do until a proper FCS is implemented.

Oh well it feels better i guess to know distances. But maybe its just me.

this has been fixed, yes, it was set to laser lock only by mistake

Ok cool. Thanks Pufu. :)

Another question: Have you guys noticed that all SHIFT+X functions gets knocked out after parachuting with steering? I tested JW Customs mission "LONEWOLF" where you start in the air, and when i get to the ground none of those functions work. Im off to ask in his mission thread as he made the mission, and i take it must have worked for him. Dont know if its a new thing since the misison was made based on the earlier ACE build. Just wondering if thats a known thing to you. I will ticket it if not.

Alex

One thing by which ACE really screws up the whole game is AI's spotting skills. I mean, they are able to detect a sniper after one shot even on 400 meters in open enviroment with grass everywhere. And they do that very well. They'll pinpoint you in seconds and then you have a problem. Just like in vanilla 1.0. That's critical. Same with the ZEUS AI mod. Both are great mods otherwise, but this is a big con.

I think, I need to play vanilla now :-(

^^ Yes i noticed in the earlier build at least that i cant even shoot enemies at 600m with the silenced TAC50 without eAI knowing where i am very quickly. It worked pretty good outside of ACE if i recall (only play ACE lol).

Night vision does not apparently work correctly. I press N and I get an error message, then the night vision pops up. I cannot adjust the night vision brightness with page up/down as I should be able to so I press N again to return to normal vision. Now in normal vision I can adjust brightness/exposure via page up/down buttons, requiring a mission restart to see normally again.

Night vision does not apparently work correctly. I press N and I get an error message, then the night vision pops up. I cannot adjust the night vision brightness with page up/down as I should be able to so I press N again to return to normal vision. Now in normal vision I can adjust brightness/exposure via page up/down buttons, requiring a mission restart to see normally again.

I don't get an error when turning on night vision, adjusting brightness works fine too.

Do you use any other addons or is this just ArmA 2 and ACE ?

Xeno

@Alex: please make a ticket on the ace keys issue, attaching mission, rpt and repro steps on dev-heaven, if you are confident it is due to ACE

@Bauben: what is the AI skill set to?

edit:

indeed, as silverblue said, it might as well be an EH conflict

Edited by PuFu

Another question: Have you guys noticed that all SHIFT+X functions gets knocked out after parachuting with steering? I tested JW Customs mission "LONEWOLF" where you start in the air, and when i get to the ground none of those functions work. Im off to ask in his mission thread as he made the mission, and i take it must have worked for him. Dont know if its a new thing since the misison was made based on the earlier ACE build. Just wondering if thats a known thing to you. I will ticket it if not.

Alex

I think they already know about the "parachute->non functioning ACE keybindings" bug. They mentioned the bug would appear any time some mod/mission script/BIS implementation of parachuting, would use an event handler which would then clash with the similar one used in ACE.

Apparently the solution is simple, substitute one eventhandler for the other. :confused:

Edit:

DisplaySetEventhandler and DisplayAddEventhandler. Something like that I believe.

Edited by SilverBlue

Guys just to clarify, I have just completely removed all my old ACE files from my install, and am now installing again using the Six Updater Method.

Will I automatically have the latest update, or will I need to install that myself?

Thanks!

Updater should always get you the lastest update. Glad to see you trying it!

Did RH helicopter sounds get implemented in the latest patch? The apache doesnt sound like it has. I had heard that RH helicopter sound was getting included in the update? Whats up?

Alex

I gues the only thing they wanted to remove was the recognition and not the fact that you can measure the range. It makes sniping alone more difficult, encouraging teamwork ( but what if you area all alone and nobody wants to play with you ;) ? ) Most guys i know would rather go all rambo than playing spotter and just laying alongside you telling targets. Ok i know one guy who would be my spotter. But playing with an assault rifle atm is almost as much fun. :D

Maybe the Rangefinder should be put in the same slot as the bino ( either bino or rangefinder ) instead of putting it in a rocket launcher slot.

In RL soldiers can have rocket launchers and rangefinders in their equipment.

At least give back the ability to "guess" the range without beeing able to recognize a target like in Bennys solution. It's difficult to aim AT weapons this way, too. In RL you have at least a slight idea about the distance to your target.

As mentioned above, we have a 2D picture of a 3D world and lack depth perception like in RL.

Edited by Enforcer1975

Well, not having range reading makes scopes with mildots and stadia useful in range estimation. Iron sights are ok as we can make adjustments when firing. AT weapons is a bit of an issue and takes hell of a lot of practise to get right without range. Personally, I set up a launcher training ground in editor and put in about 2 hours of practise at various ranges to have a feel of range and aiming. More practise, less reverts! hahahaha

I don't get an error when turning on night vision, adjusting brightness works fine too.

Do you use any other addons or is this just ArmA 2 and ACE ?

Xeno

I use ACE2, LandTex, Extended View Distance, Zeus AI [ACE version], and WarFX Particles. ACE2 is the only game changing mod I have running. I also cannot eject from any aircraft nor can I 'jump out'. Any ideas? Thanks for the help people.

EDIT: Oh and I also have a black background at the main menu now, is that supposed to happen?

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

Seems to work fine for me. Updated both a few hours ago. CBA, ACE, ACEX, ACEX_SM. Lazy update method (2), on both server and client. Custom Domination edit (probably not based on latest revision), started up game as admin. Exited Arma2. Went back in as another role.

No version mismatch warning.

I use ACE2, LandTex, Extended View Distance, Zeus AI [ACE version], and WarFX Particles. ACE2 is the only game changing mod I have running. I also cannot eject from any aircraft nor can I 'jump out'. Any ideas? Thanks for the help people.

EDIT: Oh and I also have a black background at the main menu now, is that supposed to happen?

Maybe they are not being loaded in the proper order. Make sure CBA is the first mod in your "-mod=" line.

Maybe they are not being loaded in the proper order. Make sure CBA is the first mod in your "-mod=" line.

Yes CBA is my first loaded mod in the target line. It wouldn't be caused by me having a Steam copy of the game would it? Any other thoughts?

One thing by which ACE really screws up the whole game is AI's spotting skills. I mean, they are able to detect a sniper after one shot even on 400 meters in open enviroment with grass everywhere. And they do that very well. They'll pinpoint you in seconds and then you have a problem. Just like in vanilla 1.0. That's critical. Same with the ZEUS AI mod. Both are great mods otherwise, but this is a big con.

I think, I need to play vanilla now :-(

You can adjust the Skill and Accuracy settings per difficulty level in your game options (Need to restart mission afterwards)

Otherwise if you setup a ticket at our issue tracker, with small repro steps and details, we might actually find it is a bug and will fix it :)

Did RH helicopter sounds get implemented in the update yesterday? Because it doesnt sound like it