Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

I've got it !

it's not nearly the game ARMA II is....

And get this NOeditor.

No way to read them all but you can feel the ongoing global opinion within this topic, far enough to establish a judgment about what's going on.

And I do indeed disagree with some "too partial" opinions around here.

If you don't feel yourself within this category then don't talk for everyone.

Regards,

TB

Lol, how can you paint everyone with such a broad brush as 'global opinion' and then tell someone not to speak for everyone... :j:

There is no global opinion. The far majority of posts list the pros and cons of the game just like every other game including Arma2.

I've got it !

And get this NOeditor.

To be honest it has an editor, a mission editor, which is seperate from the game itself and you have to load the game every time you wish to test a mission, but that's as far as the editing currently goes. If you meant mod tools, then no, nothing as yet. Codemasters haven't hinted in any way that there will be either and goes deafly silent when they're mentioned.

Having said that even if there is mod tools, I can't see it adding all that much with the massive number of limitations imposed by the engine. I think CM want to sell DLC before they consider releasing tools that allow people to make their own stuff beyond missions. Fair enough I say, that's their strategy, but it goes directly against what the name OFP stood for, which was almost endless community modability.

Somebody reckons they know how to read the data files: http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386067

After checking that link I found this in another forum:

It is just filesystem %5Bcolon%5D%29.gif You can merge all files to 1. All files inside are compressed with LZSS. here is no problem. Problem is file win_000.nfs. I think it is AES encrypted file with information about files inside. I am able to decompress files from win_000.??? files, but I was unable to decrypt that "index" file to get info about offsets, sizes etc.

The fact that CM encrypts the content using AES clearly shows that you're not supposed to mod that game. Otherwise they wouldn't encrypt the content.

Somewhere else I read (can't find the source atm) that the first DLC is free, for all others you get charged - if that's the case then you can bet there will be no official modding tools. They would be stupid if they let the community create their own content instead buying DLC.

"And there is a letter from him to the community peting himself on the back for the game being so good welcomed by the console gamer"

I am sorry to say so but this is bullshit.

I own both PC version and PS3 version (yes, I have paid over 60£ for both). We (me and my friends) have tried to have some games up tonight on PS3. PS3 servers are completely broken. You get stuck at friend's list, creating a lobby is next to impossible and people very often get disconnected and cannot get online at all..

We have spedn 2.5 hours trying to get a game up and running but to no avaliable..

I still think DR is decent game, but nowhere near close to ArmA 2 (minus performance, which is a big thing and big plus towards DR)

ps. as a console and PC player, I must say that controls are clunky on both platforms. I find them even worse on a console. Also, I find the game very easy, even on hardcore mode, I am not harcore player tho, playing ArmA 2 casually.

Edited by acidd

The fact that CM encrypts the content using AES clearly shows that you're not supposed to mod that game. Otherwise they wouldn't encrypt the content.

Somewhere else I read (can't find the source atm) that the first DLC is free, for all others you get charged - if that's the case then you can bet there will be no official modding tools. They would be stupid if they let the community create their own content instead buying DLC.

The encryption is something to be worried about, but there are games that release modding tools and charge for DLCs. Then there is Empire, which has released 3 DLCs and still claims modding tools are coming.

The encryption is something to be worried about, but there are games that release modding tools and charge for DLCs. Then there is Empire, which has released 3 DLCs and still claims modding tools are coming.

Yah, and they will, after they have milked every possible $$$ out of the DLC. The whole thing is so transparent.

Eth

They would be stupid if they let the community create their own content instead buying DLC.

I guess that would depend on the nature of the content, games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion have both modding abilities and payware DLC in place. Both thrive I believe.

I guess that would depend on the nature of the content, games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion have both modding abilities and payware DLC in place. Both thrive I believe.

The difference being the mods for those games add to the original, for DR they'd be fixing what the developers released broken.

The difference being the mods for those games add to the original, for DR they'd be fixing what the developers released broken.

Never played Oblivion, have you? :)

Thats what the planned patches are for.

If the DLC is worth paying for and beats any mods that may be out there, then people will pay for it. By the way I wouldn't be surprised of the DLC packs contained a British faction.

Edited by sparks50

With the rather obvious exception of Oblivion ;)

Mod makers are STILL trying to fix that last time I looked :D

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 AM ----------

Hah, ya beat me ;)

I've got it !

And get this NOeditor.

Folks I was completely wrong...

I found the editor and boy is it nice (so far).

I haven't gotten that far into it yet, but the .exe is located in the OFPDR mission editor folder.

Sorry for the mistake...:D

Oblivion wasn't THAT bad lol. OK, maybe it was. Fallout 3 however is pretty damn solid.

Folks I was completely wrong...

I found the editor and boy is it nice (so far).

I haven't gotten that far into it yet, but the .exe is located in the OFPDR mission editor folder.

Sorry for the mistake...:D

I've used the editor a fair bit now, the most annoying part for me, is having to to test any missions in game then having to quit the game to come out and use the editor for any changes rinse and repeat.

Ill ask this again: what uniforms are the USMC wearing? desert or woodland? in most screens they look to be wearing desert, but in a few they are wearing woodland

what does it say about the lighting engine if you cantID the proper uniform?

Ill ask this again: what uniforms are the USMC wearing? desert or woodland? in most screens they look to be wearing desert, but in a few they are wearing woodland

what does it say about the lighting engine if you cantID the proper uniform?

It looks to be a mix of desert and woodland marpat with multicam... it's a really strange combo. It isn't helped by the fact the texture resolution is so low and there's no normal maps to speak of. At least that's what it looks like from the screen shots and video I've seen.

Oblivion wasn't THAT bad lol. OK, maybe it was. Fallout 3 however is pretty damn solid.

oblivion was same like Morrowind extremely moddable and scalable (dozen settings were just for multicore support)

I finished the campaign and i cant even tell what that camo is. And in the distance (In DR read distance = 70+ meters) its impossible to tell USMC from PLA. And i do have everything on max with 100+ fps.

Oblivion is/was the best RPG ever IMHO. Very much recommended to everyone, great graphics, great story and very good mission variety.

Well, I just spent 2 hours with a friend playing coop campaign in DR. We had a total blast! Two hours just disappeared, I could not believe we were playing two hours. There is a good system of inviting a friend to a game just by entering his username. We played on Normal difficulty so the game was fairly easy but we did get pinned two-three times. AI can sometimes flank you so keeping all eyes open is important. Zero crashes, smooth gameplay, i sure wish some textures were higher res but then 60 FPS the whole time sounds like a good deal to me.

Oblivion is/was the best RPG ever IMHO. Very much recommended to everyone, great graphics, great story and very good mission variety.

Not trying to start something, but Oblivion can't hold a candle to Daggerfall. Daggerfall had an endless amount of content which, compared to Oblivion's teeny tiny world makes it superior in my opinion.

Actually I would like a MOD in all seriousness makes the AI in ArmA II a little more forgiving like OFP DR. I have had a lot of fun with it. I really love the interface and is well thought out. But anyone know of a AI toner downer tell me.

Actually I would like a MOD in all seriousness makes the AI in ArmA II a little more forgiving like OFP DR. I have had a lot of fun with it. I really love the interface and is well thought out. But anyone know of a AI toner downer tell me.

You can change the skill and/or use AI-Dispersion Fix

It was a decent game but I don't think it's anywhere near the best RPG ever. My favorites are Fallout 1 and 2 and Baldur's Gate 2. Hopefully Dragon Age can capture the spirit of those older games.

Oblivion is the best RPG like DR is the best milsim. Watered-down, shallow and consolized. And the story is shamefully bad.