Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

Oh, one more thing I actually do like with DR. The feeling when firing semi auto with assault rifles.

Fire on my lead IS in ArmA 2. It's under the engage menu in the squad commands.

Where? Its not under 3 where hold fire etc is.

Fire on my lead IS in ArmA 2.

Not in the same way. Fire on my lead means that when you fire the AI does the same and shoots their assigned targets. If you use engage, then the AI will get up and start running after their assigned targets, if you gave them some. If you use fire, they'll just fire if they're in range. In any case, you require the menu open in order to produce the perfect one barrage kill. It's just one step more when it could've been fire on my lead, and you can start spewing lead instead of navigating the menu and then spew lead.

One thing is see a lot is about how franchises are ruined, eg Ghost Recon, R6. I must be the only person to have played them all as they came out and extremely enjoyed every single one of them. Sure theres been differences, but as consistently great games you cannot fault them.

The same certainly applies to the OFP/Arma/DR situation. There have been changes, change can be good. Why can't everyone just enjoy the games for what they are?

Both games are let down by scale. Somtimes Arma can be way too big, and DR way too small. Although this does make for some great moments in both games. Tank charges with aircraft support rock in Arma, but going building to building in a small town in DR rocks also. Switch it around and "OMGZ this gamez broken I cant see far enough, Cm sucks/ Bis sucks, why cant I go in the house". Neither game is perfect, so don't pretend they are.

And a short word about player numbers, BF2 is nearly 5 years old, And consistently has 1250 full servers going 24 hours a day, thats about 80,000 people. More than Cod4 and WaW get on Xbox Live and PSN.

While the game is not to everyones taste ( personally I love it) , that is certainly a feat everyone should respect, and all developers should be looking to achieve for their own games.

the point is that no one here want to disput these game, they are great fun game, but when you stick the name on it and that name used to mean business and realistic, then those games became a complete dumb down, just like what it is now.

Hey guys!

I agree this may be a little too much and it's not a very fine piece of work either, but it gave me some laugh. What do you think?

http://imgur.com/qDcHH.jpg (pic >100 KB)

PS: Not my work, found on CM forums

LOL!! i'm laughing irl right now. :D:D

Well, that's quite a lot of posts, many on different subjects.

Anyway, I - long awaiting the release of ofp2 - have come here to join the long line of disappointed people. I must however state that if OFP2 was just some "Dragon Rising - the life of a Marine" game, it would have received much less beating. The game itself is not THAT bad.

A few horrible points however, some of which many of us have already mentioned:

- lack of kick option in multiplayer (people I tried playing with never found one)

- horrible vehicle collision and lack of looking around

- no possiblity to save the game while playing the hardcore (the realistic) mode and only checkpoints on other (hard difficulty) levels

- cover up of bad graphics with effects like bloom to make them look passable

- the editor has to be decoded before the general public can use it. To put some units is easy, but to actually create a simple mission - what the hell am I supposed to do? No manual so far, no nothing.

Some of the good points, especially when compared to Arma:

- Graphics, despite the poor rendering, still look better than Arma2

- MASSIVE view distance with no slow downs

- few bugs

- Good sounds ; and

- Overal better feel of a generic professionally made game as opposed to the endless but bugged potential of Arma 2

CONCLUSION:

Sadly, Arma 2 wins from OFP2 by a Grand Canyon. OFP2 ends up being shallow and needs at least a couple of thorrow patches to fix the issues (and an editor manual).

Oh, one more thing I actually do like with DR. The feeling when firing semi auto with assault rifles.

What, the way your rifle returns to the EXACT same position you were pointing at before, once the 'recoil' is finished? Even with the .50 cal.

Should not be in the PC version IMO, at least not for those of us using keyboard and mouse.

Nice, long, well written post! Only complaint I have is this. Don't be cruel to CoD. At least the CoD titles made by Infinity Ward are good at what they do ;)

True. At least with COD's shallow gameplay and scripted nature you get cool cinematic effects, cut-scenes, and much crisper graphics.

What, the way your rifle returns to the EXACT same position you were pointing at before, once the 'recoil' is finished? Even with the .50 cal.

Should not be in the PC version IMO, at least not for those of us using keyboard and mouse.

Well, the .50 isn't an assault rifle ^^

And there is a small climb in sights. Not much, but a little that do make a difference at longer ranges. I agree the offset could be bigger, but there's something about the how the gun moves with the recoil that I really find.. comfortable. Feels like the shoulder moves with the gun, while in ArmA it just feels like the gun rotates a bit around the axis of the shoulder.

Gah, the lovely scripted spawned enemies! I love it when they spawn them in visual range. You check with your NV or that fake FLIR thing(which is just a contrast cheat) and nothing there, move another 20 yards and BAM suddenly they are there.

seesh.

OFP doesn't live up to it's name. Good attempts, transformed badly.

Taken good elements of the last years shooters ( i see elements of BF² = command module, SMAW and JAV deployment = AA, Medkit? LOL, BF² etc. )

All in all good attempt, badly programmed. Wrong game for this kind of community. I am so disappointed, i was really hoping for a competetive game so at least BIS would feel the pressure and finally get their butts moving and remove all bugs faster than they planned ( or not ).

All in all ArmA 1 and 2 are many times closer closer to OFP than OFP :DR

A couple of things i would take to A2 would be.

The view distance ( one for all, no disputes about how far one wants to see ) and gras visibility

The performance

Weapon deployment and targeting ( like the JAV or AA )

Minor equipment on the soldiers like bandages ( see field dressing )

IR capabilities ( see IR scopes )

The soldiers feel more like better equiped with all the gadgets than in ArmA.

Umm yea the sodliers feel better equiped, except on hardcore they somehow lost their compass and you can dream about GPS lol

I am only going to say the positives about OFP2. (ARMA2>OPF2 without a doubt)

What I think the devs should try out with ARMA2:

1) OFP2 has amazing distant smoke trails, ARMA2 could do with the same effect.

2) The squad commands in the MAP of OFP2, although not as detailed, are really easy to issue the most common of all orders. Arma2 might be able to incorporate this say for the "most frequently" issued orders (in the map).

3) "Fire on my command" - Does ARMA2 have this? If so they should because it is pretty handy.

Bohemia Interactive really have done a good job though haven't they? I think all those disgruntled users who commented in the troubleshooting forums along the lines of, "When OFP2 will be released it shall be.. Bye bye ARMA2 , Hello OFP2" must now feel pretty silly.

;1460503']Umm yea the sodliers feel better equiped' date=' except on hardcore they somehow lost their compass and you can dream about GPS lol[/quote']

When you press "Q", you can see compass. It's almost same as OFP/ArmA style.

3) "Fire on my command" - Does ARMA2 have this? If so they should because it is pretty handy.

"Hold fire" - "Target enemy" - "open fire"

;)

One of the worst disappointments this decade since Vietcong 2

"Hold fire" - "Target enemy" - "open fire"

;)

lol yeah that is what I do at the moment :yay:

---------- Post added at 03:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 AM ----------

the mission editor is easy for the lay person to use (ME)

I like the game for the 360. It is a cross between AmrA and CoD and that is not always a bad thing.

the PC versions I have heard are glitchy, but that is not unusual till they get patched up. Also, I have heard the editor is almost unplayable.

waiting till the PC game is in the bargin bin before I buy.....

I like the game for the 360. It is a cross between AmrA and CoD and that is not always a bad thing.

You probably meant it was a cross of CoD and GRAW i'm sure... because i really can't find the ArmA part in it :j:

No offence to Jedo but how in the gods name can you say that graphics look better in ofpdr2 than in ArmA II, i just don´t get it. Start comparing those two games, compare models, textures etc and you´ll see that A2 beats the crap out of ofpdr.

No offence to Jedo but how in the gods name can you say that graphics look better in ofpdr2 than in ArmA II, i just don´t get it. Start comparing those two games, compare models, textures etc and you´ll see that A2 beats the crap out of ofpdr.

Depends on your system Goeth. Ive not seen anyone in this thread say that OFP : DR is capable of better graphics, but for me personally it achieves better graphics when the two games are set to run smoothly.

;1460503']Umm yea the sodliers feel better equiped' date=' except on hardcore they somehow lost their compass and you can dream about GPS lol[/quote']

Yes, it's really stupid that you don't have a compass on hardcore.

I mean, it needs to be hard, but iI don't hink it's meant to be simulating an idiot soldier who lost his compass and now he is running like headless chicken.

p.s. I just found out you can see compass by pressing Q. My bad.

Just had a game of coop campaign with a friend.

I have to admit it was entertaining.

Sadly enough we were having more laughs about f**k-ups than the actual gameplay (like me taking down an APC with a Javelin while standing 100 meters in front of it).