Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

If you click on the topics replies it lists users and post counts made in this topic. ([RIP] Luhgnut - 292)

heh - 294 now.

prolly my highest count was when Atari produced Alien vs. Predator for the Atari Jaguar, and I actually got my hands on the original un-compiled code.

Atari was saying how so much was in the game and lying, and I'm sitting there looking at the code.

That got pretty debated.

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

Hehe I was just saying for the same price

Hope u didn't pay a BMW price for the Hyundai:D

lol. funny, I actually own both.

Hyundai Sante-Fe: Paid off

BMW Z4: Far from paid off and the damn cup holders keep breaking at $80 each. I can replace BMW cup holders in my sleep.

You try to help? With what? You don't like this game, you don't play this game, You don't know anything about the ArmA2 editor, You are here only because you don't have anyone to discuss with on the other forum, DR is a big BS, everyone knows that, and you're stuck in it.

And please do not come here with your "superiority" and "wisdom" just to insult members of this forum, because many have tried to help you when you needed.

Hook, line and sinker:clap:

one I wasnt talking to you, two stop trolling

The only troll I see here is you. You're not interested in ArmA2, this is the only thread you are "contributing" to and in which you already "earned" three infractions.

So if ArmA2 is not your thing, and its community members are dicks - what the heck you are doing here anyway? Trying to talk ArmA2 players into playing the sunken Dragon you can forget, hence you're wasting your time here.

The only troll I see here is you. You're not interested in ArmA2, this is the only thread you are "contributing" to and in which you already "earned" three infractions.

So if ArmA2 is not your thing, and its community members are dicks - what the heck you are doing here anyway? Trying to talk ArmA2 players into playing the sunken Dragon you can forget, hence you're wasting your time here.

/Falls out of chair laughing

Anyone else notice how Sir Lenton and Co. have just utterly disappeared from the scene? Not one reply, statement or utterance since the con job was successfully pulled off. Before it's release, they were around all the time trumping up expectations and spinning leaked information that could be perceived as negative in any way.

The whole thing reminds me of the old faith healers of the Wild West, who would pull into a town, claimed they could do miracles for the town, but needed to collect money first to "let the magic happen". Wowed by the seeming spectacle, the people would blindly hand over their life earnings and wait for the day that the miracles would happen -but of course the Con Man Circus was long gone the night before. Most people would realise that they had been taken the next day, but there were always a few who held out hope thinking that perhaps they will come back "next week" *remaining CM Forumites*

If you click on the topics replies it lists users and post counts made in this topic. ([RIP] Luhgnut - 292)

Jesus, that's half his posts on these forums! I'd throw a cheap punch about having no life, but....oh wait I just did. :p

j/k

Edited by MehMan

"Codemasters is focusing its future portfolio on high quality titles that will, in the majority, be developed and produced by our internal studios."

O no don´t do this, please. How many more FAILS will it get to see CM Falling?

O no don´t do this, please. How many more FAILS will it get to see CM Falling?

Nah, let them do it. They'll just fail faster and we won't have to put up with them as long.

It's likely that every new development team that came in and looked at the half coded Heist game from the old development team that were fired, got confused and then got fired themselves for taking too long.

This forum thread has been entertaining and the way I see it, I've had some laughs out of the disaster that DR is and my financial loss to DR doesn't seem so bad :D This has helped me cope with that loss...lol

Why cant CM just die already!

Dragon Crap 2 is going to be pirated soo damn much I can already see the article "Piracy hits Dragon Crap 2 and Codemasters left in the water with no boat".

:yay::yay::yay:

and I bet they will only make DR2 for consoles because of that!

Why cant CM just die already!

Dragon Crap 2 is going to be pirated soo damn much I can already see the article "Piracy hits Dragon Crap 2 and Codemasters left in the water with no boat".

:yay::yay::yay:

and I bet they will only make DR2 for consoles because of that!

As long as they don't use Operation Flashpoint in the title I won't care. The whole piracy excuse is just that, an excuse. If the game was good and didn't restrict the legitimate users (talking in general here, not DR which we all know has NO copy protection), and they added some sort of extra incentive to get a legit version (not just some crappy DLC like an extra rifle or something), then they'd still make a pretty good amount of money from the PC version.

Look at Stardock, they make very addictive and well made games that run on a massive cross section of machines. It's gameplay over shiny and it works for them. I'm not saying this is the best approach for all games as some games are expected to have better graphics than others, but in general they should put the effort into making things work on maybe not the BEST machines but at least mid range ones. ArmA 2 does to an extent. It'll run pretty nicely if you have a decent GPU if the rest of your rig is "mid range".

Stardock also have incentive to get the legit game by giving you extra content patches by registering with the code in the box. Not crappy token gestures like some naff DLC, but a good chunk of extra stuff for your game that's actually worth having. I think they work patches like that too. If you want fixes, get the legit thing.

Supporting your game properly and fostering a good community is what sells PC games. Put a little extra effort to care about the people who use your products and make it known and that'll pay dividends. Look at BIS. They supported OFP for around 4 years after it came out, they're doing the same with ArmA 1 now. We know they'll do the same for ArmA 2. We know that even if the game starts out a little rough around the edges (or VERY rough around the edges lol) they'll polish them over time untill they're as smooth as can be, and we'll buy their next products because of it. We know they care about us and not just our money.

Edited by Madus_Maximus

Jesus, that's half his posts on these forums! I'd throw a cheap punch about having no life, but....oh wait I just did. :p

j/k

heh MehMan. nice. /salute

Supporting your game properly and fostering a good community is what sells PC games. Put a little extra effort to care about the people who use your products and make it known and that'll pay dividends. Look at BIS. They supported OFP for around 4 years after it came out, they're doing the same with ArmA 1 now. We know they'll do the same for ArmA 2. We know that even if the game starts out a little rough around the edges (or VERY rough around the edges lol) they'll polish them over time untill they're as smooth as can be, and we'll buy their next products because of it. We know they care about us and not just our money.

I wish that was true under Codemasters business, I had alot of respect for that company I honestly wanted Arma 2 to die and wanted Dragon Rising to win, seeing how they said it will have SDK this this and that, but after seeing Arma 2 movies and knowing that I always wanted a game like this I went out and bought it and still waited ever so patiently for Dragon Crap, turns out they (CM) did a complete 360 turn saying towards the end of development it was a "tactical shooter" instead of a mil sim, also all the NO this No that shit.

What really pissed me off was the pathetic annoucements of the game has a 64 entity limit when I read the mission editor files prior to the game coming out, and the topic of No dedicated servers/NO JOIN IN PROGRESS, NO Anti Cheat and a Tether limitation for Coop.

Then was even more pissed when I actually spent money on the game thinking that at least it would have a SDK at the very least, NOPE

I get a 11 mission campaign thats absolute crap, no action completely scripted mess, and editor that didnt even function correctly till patch 1 for me, and 2 FREAKING GAMEMODES! With 2 or 4 servers on list at all times!

Plus the rediculous Field of View which literally makes me sick, the glitches and bugs, like flying up after touching a rock the get stuck in the weapon menu bug and the piss poor gameplay mechanics like swapping and throwing grenades

anyways this is a complete bash and rant, keep up the awesome work BIS and for CM file bankruptcy you lying scum bags!

No patch can fix the inevitable which is EGO's failure.

:mad:

Then was even more pissed when I actually spent money on the game thinking that at least it would have a SDK at the very least, NOPE

I get a 11 mission campaign thats absolute crap, no action completely scripted mess, and editor that didnt even function correctly till patch 1 for me, and 2 FREAKING GAMEMODES! With 2 or 4 servers on list at all times!

You have survived so long? You are a hard guy, you have tried even patch 1:eek:!? I managed to play only campaign, with many interruptions, it seemed to me the biggest scam that I got it, I got sick not from the FOV, but from the graphics which seems more ugly than the Delta Force 2, I haven't tried any patch and don't want to try, for me DR is ugly and dead. I am sorry for the DR fans, but I think they have myopia or they just really like this crap...I don't know, anyway I respect their decision:o.

Piracy? Even pirates think pirating DR is a waste of money...

Correction, pirates think pirating DR is a waste of pirating :p

That made me laugh! :yay:

I did rent DR(?) for the XBOX 360 recently to see what all the fuss is about (I can't really bash it without trying it).

I can now bash it, and I doubt PC version is any better from what I read, so... hahaha what a stupid damn game.

I wonder if the mods now have to draw short straws to see has the duty of monitoring this thread these days. :rolleyes:

That may be your experience, but not mine at least. Whenever I contacted a BI developer I got an answer (even private messages). I'm sure you'll get one too if you're polite and have patience. Be aware that some of the BI developers may not speak english very well. They're active here in the forums. However I'm sure they're not gonna be paid for chatting but for working on the game. And if you'll get to know some of them, you'll recognize they're pretty nice guys :)

Been playing The Witcher for few days. I see replies.

Ofcourse this is up to personal preferences. And i'm sure people at BIS aren't monsters, or arseholes. But these days i expect good dedicated developers to do their part of defending their game and choices they made when creating their game or admitting their errors. Yes, i've been in "barricades" to reason to people how engine works to squash mis-informed opinions, false accusations, testing how stuff works etc. While there was zero information from BIS. Sure it was nice that i could stretch my virtual-cock in eyes of community, but still my virtual-cock would have stretched even more (god knows what else!) is Suma for example would have said that Second wrote 100% on spot.

I've seen one developer taking part of discussions to grand scale and it's great customer service, they take active part on defending their choices of features and development idea, problems involved etc. These days BIS seems to communicate more (unlike earlier days with ArmA), but still they just inform. As i can see in beta-thread (to which Andersson pointed). They don't discuss, they just inform. Which ofcourse is positive thing and good that BIS does even that. But it could be more.

Discussions and more importantly debates is thing which i'm after, they are good for community (there's official information, community feels to be more as part of project) and good for developers (they get more insight, more points of view from outside). One problem with BIS is that they have "ivory-tower" syndrome: community discusses, debates, innovates, creates etc. Yet mostly BIS seems to ignore it and well-known result of it is that usually BIS titles takes step back with their next title when compared to what community made for their previous title. I dare to say that if there would have been more discussions from BIS to community and vice-versa. Debates are not to be evaded, but are soul of whole system: BIS has to be able to reason to people why they did as they did. If they can't do that... Well then there might be moment to look into mirror and maybe improve it next time. BIS would steer their boat more drastically to directions which generally are thought to be good. They say that competetion is good for developement, well OFDR isn't going to be that (yes bit on-topic as well in this post :p )... So BIS could compete with it's customers who visit and write here.

I'm not naturally born english speaker, i'm far more dumb than guys at BIS, still i can squeeze posts which are often long and analytic. This with amateur understandment of ArmA and things which are discussed in off-topic section. Developer who knows his engine and has much higher IQ than i have could do much more than that with much smaller effort.

This is one kind of fancy ideal. Sure it takes time from development... But then again it can boost the way game is being developed. And yes it's about what one expects from developers: i must admit my standards have risen somewhat when thinking what developers should do, while my dedication to put considerable part of my life to some game has dropped.

Edited by Second

LOL

@Gulag

No I have the second patch for Dragon Crap and I got 1.5 for Arma 2, I was saying I got Arma 2 and played it with 1.1 till 1.3 was released which was pretty damn long it seemed, but most of that time went into learning everything so its all good.

DR 2 will be a one day buy for me... NOT! :D

Ofcourse this is up to personal preferences. And i'm sure people at BIS aren't monsters, or arseholes. But these days i expect good dedicated developers to do their part of defending their game and choices they made when creating their game or admitting their errors. Yes, i've been in "barricades" to reason to people how engine works to squash mis-informed opinions, false accusations, testing how stuff works etc. While there was zero information from BIS. Sure it was nice that i could stretch my virtual-cock in eyes of community, but still my virtual-cock would have stretched even more (god knows what else!) is Suma for example would have said that Second wrote 100% on spot.

So BIS could compete with it's customers who visit and write here.

This is the only point where I disagree with you. Being a practical type, I think that developers shouldn't defend their game through debate against (often ignorant) players - to where it would look like they are trying to hold their position at all costs. Of course it's a good thing to explain how things work, but explaining that certain things cannot be made to be more appealing ("not to suck" as commonly defined) because they are out of range of current technology, be it engine or computing power, is pointless. The ones who are generally interested in the game but see it's flaws will research or ask questions here, maybe even give a reasonable suggestion how it could be made better. The people with aggressive attitude are best not to be fed. It may be a good tactic to support your product with pretty words, but it's a bad strategy - as (over)demonstrated by CM. Such praise is best to be left to people not associated with development, (Good wine needs no bush.) such as yourself. You are doing a great job. :D

Such praise is best to be left to people not associated with development, (Good wine needs no bush.) such as yourself. You are doing a great job. :D

Well said, it is the enthusiast or gamer that makes or breaks the overall success of a game. A developer can love what they do, defend it to the Nth degree and if no one buys it, praises it or plays it, what's the point!? It's like musicians that say they play for themselves, but most want their music to be heard and be well received, especially when it comes to making money. What I like about BIS is their business model which supports and works with the fans and modding community well after the sale. Between the mods and the many patches, the hours I've played with their games is well worth the return of my one time investment of $65. I will not buy any other CM software after their display of lies with DR and screwing over the community. BIS has done more than most other game companies with their post sale support.

I agree. You can create something the way you want it, but the end target is sales in the case of the video gaming industry.

Of course there are exceptions. Like BIS wanted to create a mil-sim, which meant they didn't want to compromise on realism. Many people don't like this but regardless of how much it effects sales, it was their primary goal. Then there's the case of Independent developers who create what they want for fun, and some for a portfolio, but most for fun.

But if your target is sales then appeasing the masses is the primary goal. There was a post over at... some other forums, where someone complained about the multiplayer not working properly and causing lag, to which someone responded, "CM made the game the way they wanted, if you don't like that then go elsewhere", or something less polite. Stupid comment non-the-less, but I think he/she kindof ignored the OP's post and posted what they thought would be a good response, and in the end, regardless of sales or anything...

If you don't like a game, don't play it.

That's the basics of it. That said, if you like the sound of a game, take example from DR and wait til a few months after it's released to find out exactly how much of the pre-game marketing couldn't be achieved, or was never intended to be put in in the first place.