Sign in to follow this  
Pathy

P:UKF Challenger 2.

Will check it out brothers, thanks for the speedy replies, I REALLY appreciate it.:bounce3:

Since I was bitchin so much about it, it's only fair that I take the time to report that all is in fact like da12th said. Pretty much spot on! WP doesn't work properly(without ACE), rvmat error....But hardcore as always!

And still as ugly as well!

Not that you'll ever find a T series tank saying so to it's face!!

Bravo people!

i love it, and ace2 integration...perfect!!! i really would like to see the challenger1 and warrior from "boar" with ace config... :rolleyes:

i love it, and ace2 integration...perfect!!! i really would like to see the challenger1 and warrior from "boar" with ace config... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't envy anybody who tasked themselves to make a proper FCS for the Challenger 1. I discussed it with NoWonderDog back in ArmA 1 with respect to my own Challenger 1 model (think I still have that somewhere) - we found out that visually, it was a lot more complicated than the sorts of FCS systems that his mod simulated back in the day, and that ACE simulates nowadays.

IIRC with Chally 1's FCS you used to lase a target using a small, fixed circular marker as reference for aiming the laser (fixed because it actually related to the muzzle's boresight); then an oval-shaped ring would project onto the graticule based on the adjustment needed to engage the target. The oval would also scale depending on the distance to the target so that it always roughly matched the broadside-dimensions of a soviet tank in the sight picture (e.g smaller oval at long range). Then when you used the auto-lay switch, the point of aim would adjust so that the target resided inside the oval.

vywebuydps.jpg

nhqcffofbt.jpg

tmyanrqjfl.jpg

You wouldn't be able to use the FCS if the engagement required more than 69 mils of adjustment because the oval would be outside the sight picture.

---

The Warrior wouldn't really need an ACE config except for armour values.

Warriors of that era didn't have any form of a fire control system - just a ballistic graticule. They sort of have one nowadays as part of BGTI, but the gun still has to be laid completely manually (only the course traverse of the turret is powered). IIRC the FCS in the current BGTI system is a bit like Challenger 1's, but without the auto-lay - so it just shows you how to adjust aim really.

A proper, fully stabilised, electronic gun system won't arrive until Warrior CSP is introduced with the CTI 40mm gun (a bit like the one in BAF - but that model has the wrong turret). That probably wont be until 2015 at the earliest.

okay...im really fan of hardcore simulation like steel beast pro pe etc. ...but i would also be happy with approximation like ace2 ones for challenger1 and warrior just for armor and operability like laser-rangefinder vor chall1 so that they can "play" with ace t-72´s at eye level... that would be great:)

My understanding from my research is that the cr2 system works in a roughly similar way, by with two differences:

1. No graticule on display

2. Since the imaging system is attached to the barrel you wouldn't see the Windage adjustment on-display

Dont want to push any buttons in the wrong direction and you can point me elsewhere if you like. First of all great work on the CR2 been waiting on this update for a while as it is my favourite piece of kit. I would ask however (and you can tell me to shove off if you like) that the armour values are adjusted - it works great in vanilla - but i got one shotted by a RPG 7 boom! using the ACE mod. I would do my own patch for it but havent got the know how and it is more of a request as you have implemented the ACE_FCS. The armour values i read were 500, though I have no knowledge how the layers adjust those ratings. Again good work and it is very much appreciated. Also one shot hits also seem to do critical damage to the whole tank (pass through values - dunno?). Anyhow cheers for a great addon guys, best tank in the game.

Edited by Jingle
sPelLings

I would offer to you that it is one of the easiest config changes to make, and there is no better time to learn than the present.

The armour config as it is passes muster for our purposes, to the best of my knowledge

Thx for reply Dave, would I have permission to edit it for my own use ie a replacement armour config, if I get the time ofc.

My understanding from my research is that the cr2 system works in a roughly similar way, by with two differences:

1. No graticule on display

2. Since the imaging system is attached to the barrel you wouldn't see the Windage adjustment on-display

First up, got to correct a common mistake: the only similarity between CR1 and CR2 is the name, beyond that they're a completely different model of MBT, not an upgrade or Mk 2. Incidentally, the name was politically motivated and mainly cos we couldn't think of a better one despite talking about it all night over several bottles of wine (can you think of a good MBT name beginning with C that hasn't been used before for any weapon system?)

CR2 FCS is pretty funky. In normal (non reversionary) mode, the primary sights (GPS & CPS) are independent and the gun is slaved. You simply point the aiming marker at the centre of mass of the target, press the lase button, the FCC computes a solution and lays the gun, taking into account range, turret traverse & elevation, vehicle speed, wind speed & direction, ambient temp & pressure from the met sensor, bag charge temp (was meant to be a sensor for that too but I never saw it work), and round type selected by the loader. Usually takes less than .25s, then the red light goes on in your sight picture and the gun goes boom assuming you're holding the firing button down. In short, aim, lase, fire - if you aimed right it should be 99% accurate at 2000m with a FIN round - that was the requirement definition anyway.

It's different in Rev 1 or 2 modes (Rev 1 = sights slaved to the gun; Rev 2 pretty much everything's manual) and TI sights were too big to be independent when it was built, so the TISH sits on the barrel and has a computed aiming point drawn on the site picture (horrible thing to aim with). Gunners Aux Sight looks a bit like the old CR2 main sight and is just a graticule really only used in Rev 2 mode (hence all manual).

The sight pics on this ACE updated CR2 are really just eye candy because I didn't like the fact it never got completed and moaned at DaveP until he fixed it up for us!

may found bug, the ace config for challenger 2 interacts with m1a1 from ace2. the "lasing" from m1a1 is too short when challenger2 ace config is activ... can someone reproduce this???

Thanks very much for doing the work on this tank!

I've wanted to find an ArmA2 Challenger 2 for a long time. I've discovered most of the vehicles I wanted to see over the time I've played this game. Now all I need to find is a Patria AMV and the FCS vehicles.

Gunners Aux Sight looks a bit like the old CR2 main sight and is just a graticule really only used in Rev 2 mode (hence all manual).

Is it very similar to the CR1's TLS graticule? I do have a pic showing the full grat from 600m to 3200m, with a stadiametic rangefinder and all manner of shit not shown in the series of pics I posted before showing the lase and auto-lay sequence.

I could knock together a sight picture for ArmA, based on that graticule and shoot it off to DK if VCB want it.

Also, didn't we have a tank called 'Challenger' even before it was given to FV4030/4 and FV4034? Was a Cromwell variant with a 17 pdr gun IIRC - a sort of predecessor to Comet.

Yeah, GAS sight is pretty much what you posted above with the stad and KE/HE scale included, though no floaty circle thing since it's bog standard back up sight with no FCC capability at all. The default range aim dot at the top is used for the CR2 Muzzle Reference System as well (it's a laser that you bounce of a little mirror under that shroud on the end of the barrel to make sure the gun's kept straight as it warms up while firing)

If that's the gas grat and you guys want to get it down 100% then say the word, I can send over the psd for my calibrated guesstimation of how it might look that's used in this release -kinda cool to see the scale as I measured it using the in-game fall of rounds looks almost identical to the real thing though

Edited by DaveP

id rather not have them updating stuff atm.. since im still working on some updates for it.. and dave please communicate with me about stuff if u got something that needs to be solved...

I was wondering if anyone would be able to send me a copy of the original release. Since I do not use ace the updated release's sights are all white screen to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is the Challenger still being worked on ?

Edited by verde13

You guys done happen to have a Challenger 1 do you? Shoot us a PM if you do lads.

Thanks.

Stag.

Is the Challenger still being worked on ?
You guys done happen to have a Challenger 1 do you? Shoot us a PM if you do lads.

Thanks.

Stag.

P:UKF disbanded a year or so ago now, we allowed VCB and DK to kindly continue tinkering with the CR2 and release the updates to the public. If DK and the VCB bods have an update, they'll post here I'm sure. A chally 1 was never produced by UKF (at least not for ArmA).

Hello, everyone! This is my first post ever here at the BI forums :)

First of all, I want to say "thank you" to whoever is upgrading and improving this already fantastic addon. As good as this model is, I've always thought there could be some room for improvement, texture-wise; I don't know the first thing about 3D modelling in ArmA 2, but I have attempted some re-texturing/skinning works in other games (mainly flight sims), so although I had never done a tank before, I decided to have a go and try reworking/upgrading the textures of this beast myself.

---------- Post added at 01:12 ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 ----------

These are still very much WIP, so bear with me, if you please:

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7670/chall2wip001.jpg (1117 kB)

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/9820/chall2wip002.jpg (1009 kB)

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/9558/chall2wip003.jpg (1138 kB)

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/6605/chall2wip004.jpg (888 kB)

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/193/chall2wip005.jpg (1727 kB)

(Normal maps are custom, but specular is still the default one that comes with the original package)

There are one or two problems here and there, of course, beginning with the way the metal side-skirts fitted to the standard variant are mapped (they share bits of texturing with the hull, so by super-detailing the hull, the metal skirts look wrong); that being said, the new skins work great on the upgraded models - I haven't reworked the DL2 appliqué armour add-on packages for the hull and turret or the RF anti-IED jammers yet, but the variant with armour skirts and lower glacis plate ERA appliqués looks good so far.

I was aiming for an 'Operation Telic' feel with the desertised version, which would look even better if you could add CIPs and the all-important anti-dust flexible lower skirt (which is present in the corresponding .paa file but not physically modelled).

I am doing this for my personal enjoyment (because I love this tank and mod) but if I get permission from the original creators, I could release these works or hand them over to them for further upgrades.

I hope you like what you see here!

im still upgrading the chally 2 from time to time.. when i feel like it.. specially the specialmapping, and fixing smaller bugs.. when a new release will be there honestly dont know but.. it will come