Guest RKSL-Rock

RKSL Studios - WIP Discussion

what' the difference between your harrier and the bis one?

Biggest difference, it's the British version. :D

Key visible differences are:

• Short Fin root and APU vent canal
  • No Flare packs on the top rear fuselage
  • Slightly longer nose with the IR camera/sensor (Than the US night attack version).
  • Passive Warning Sensors under the nose and around the airframe
  • Various different Vents and Intakes
  • Extra Sidewinder pylons

For the purposes of gameplay:

• Better in-game performance (Real later generation RAF Harriers have a much more powerful engine than the US versions)
  • Better Handling
  • Improved/Practical HUD and MFDs like the 1.4 Typhoon.
  • F-35 style VTOL. (This means it will be able to take off vertically which it shouldn't be able to with a full load but the F-35 behaviour is much more flexible in game - I'll look at scripting something to make it more realistic in the future).
  • 10+ real load-outs based on actual RAF approved loads.
  • It won't look like its wrapped in plastic. :p

I do have plans to continue my "if it doesn't have radar we aren't adding it" policy. (The GR9 Harrier does NOT have radar btw) But it will have the BIS threat warning setup and maybe something else too... well extra flashing bits :)

For those that can't bear to live without radar etc... I'll include an optional "unrealism" replacement config pbo.

I know your model will be awesome compared to bis one.

So no pressure then ;)

---------- Post added at 11:15 ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 ----------

I'd say it will probably have the level of detail the typhoon has and the typhoon is the most detailed vehicle I think I've seen on arma 2.

Thank you. We do try to be as detailed as possible without impacting performance.

I for one will be happy to finally see a Harrier that doesn't have that weird disproportionate nose that the BIS one has. It almost looks like an AV-8B+ radome grafted onto a a Harrier GR.3 nose section.

As much as I love zooming about in the Harrier, that's bugged me since ArmA 1.

Speaking of yours though Rock; shouldn't the fin-flash be the other way around, with red at the leading edge, followed by blue?

http://downloads.rkslstudios.info/RKSL/harrier_pr/PR-RKSL-HarrierGR9-401.jpg

• F-35 style VTOL. (This means it will be able to take off vertically which it shouldn't be able to with a full load but the F-35 behaviour is much more flexible in game - I'll look at scripting something to make it more realistic in the future).

Since 1.59 BIS Harrier and F-35 are both capable of totally vertical takeoff, also now you can change the thrust vector manually.

In case you've missed it :)

Speaking of yours though Rock; shouldn't the fin-flash be the other way around, with red at the leading edge, followed by blue?

http://downloads.rkslstudios.info/RKSL/harrier_pr/PR-RKSL-HarrierGR9-401.jpg

Like I said, "some texture tweaks" :D

BTW Mike I've got your email. Just not had chance to reply.

;1890416']Since 1.59 BIS Harrier and F-35 are both capable of totally vertical takeoff' date=' also now you can change the thrust vector manually.

In case you've missed it :)[/quote']

I hadn't noticed actually. I did know about the manual nozzle control. I'm a bit dissappointed it only works on the analog throttle. (It only works with the last 10% of my throttle) I only installed 1.59 yesterday and to be honest I've not had chance to check it out yet.

Edited by RKSL-Rock

No, Harrier will win every time, hands down.

Harrier wins 66% of the time....

...all the time

really the harrier, A ground attack aircraft against a joint air superiority fighter and ground attack aircraft.

You lot amaze me you really do ;):D

really the harrier, A ground attack aircraft against a joint air superiority fighter and ground attack aircraft.

Typhoon = 10+ missiles and 150 round of 27mm.

vs

Harrier = 2x AIM-9M

=

Dead Harrier

BTW Mike I've got your email. Just not had chance to reply.

No worries; I know you've been busy, and it's not like I haven't had plenty of 'colourful' ideas to keep me experimenting with PS, and entertained in ArmA 2 in the meantime. ;)

Take your time.

= Dead Harrier[/center]

Not if the Harrier pilot is smart, uses his countermeasures correctly, uses the terrain to his advantage, and prays every 30 seconds.

:pray:

:p

Launching a Harrier from a carrier or a couple hundred feet of Autobahn = airborne in a couple seconds

Launching a Typhoon off the same surfaces = InstaDitchâ„¢

Off course, a navalized tranche 3 Typhoon could do all of that, from the deck of a rubber boat or five feet six inches of unprepared gravel road ;)

Edited by jagheterjan

I bet with a bit of luck, a Navalised Tranche 3 Typhoon could even take down a Harrier.

Launching a Harrier from a carrier or a couple hundred feet of Autobahn = airborne in a couple seconds

Launching a Typhoon off the same surfaces = InstaDitchâ„¢

Off course, a navalized tranche 3 Typhoon could do all of that, from the deck of a rubber boat or five feet six inches of unprepared gravel road ;)

LMAO!!

Only if Chuck Norris was flying it. :bounce3:

So it went from a very very disadvantaged typhoon getting killed to a tranche 3 typhoon taking off of a small boat. (Wonder how well the Tornado F.3 would do against the typhoon.)

Typhoon could also win if it was from 6 Squadron because the harrier pilot would be blinded by the paintwork.

Edited by Aerodude111
Forgot to add this bit.

So it went from a very very disadvantaged typhoon getting killed to a tranche 3 typhoon taking off of a small boat. (Wonder how well the Tornado F.3 would do against the typhoon.)

Disadvantaged? I'm lost, how was a Typhoon disadvantaged against a Harrier?

Alteast no one mentioned the rocket assisted hedgehog thing. That got really messy the last time...

PR-RKSLTyphoon14-404.jpg

PS .... We added a ladder to the Typhoon.

Edited by RKSL-Rock
Pic.

Disadvantaged? I'm lost, how was a Typhoon disadvantaged against a Harrier?

Alteast no one mentioned the rocket assisted hedgehog thing. That got really messy the last time...

PS .... We added a ladder to the Typhoon.

Is the typhoon ladder designed for pirates with peg legs? :D

Is the typhoon ladder designed for pirates with peg legs? :D

Possibly... but it is realistic.

Typhoon_Ladder.jpg

Edited by RKSL-Rock

Possibly... but it is realistic.

Hah, that looks like a pain in the ass to climb up. I suppose once you're inside though it's all worth it... hell of a fighter to fly.

wow wow wow, hang on a second is that 43 squadron markings on that typhoon.

Yup.

There is a list of supported squadrons in a previous post in this very thread.

anyone like my 6 sqn photo for my profile pic? its mine

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 10:56 PM ----------

What squadron markings are going on the beast that we all know as the harrier?

Ooooh god. More RKSL stuff to fly around. :D Can't wait.

Is the Harrier going to handle properly in hover? Or is it going to handle like a fully loaded supertanker?

(Still waiting for the Puma and Lynx updates. :p Are they going to have the rotor over-speed damage thing like the Merlin? )

...Is the Harrier going to handle properly in hover? Or is it going to handle like a fully loaded supertanker?

In some respects I have no control over that. I am limited by the game engine just like anyone else. But so far the feedback from the Beta testers is very good. People have made a point of saying how much fun it is to use in VTOL mode so I'm feeling quite positive about it.

(Still waiting for the Puma and Lynx updates. :p Are they going to have the rotor over-speed damage thing like the Merlin? )

Ah, well a few things happened there. The obvious BS attacks on here and other events forced me rethink their re-release.

However there is a completely new set of models in dev testing at the moment. All with new features and textures etc. Among them is a varient of the overspeed system.

I may release the config patches for the existing releases as an interim measure though. It depends on how work vs free time pans out.

---------- Post added at 19:52 ---------- Previous post was at 19:46 ----------

What squadron markings are going on the

beast that we all know as the harrier?

• 1 Squadron
  • 3 Squadron
  • 4 Squadron
  • 20® Squadron
  • 800 Naval Air Squadron
  • 801 Naval Air Squadron

Its only fair to represent the full fleet. Members of each squadron contributed to the devleopement either with info or Pictures.