Guest RKSL-Rock

RKSL Studios - WIP Discussion

Light Aircraft Grey was used for the undersides of aircraft when the RAF wore the old green/grey camouflage scheme. The underside of Nimrod was LAG when they had 'Hemp' on the upper surfaces.

The single colour all-over grey shades used now are either 637 MSG, or 626 Camouflage Grey

IIRC the later grey Nimrod R.1s and MR.2s used camouflage grey. MRA.4 was MSG.

Damn and I thought I was a geek! :D

Damn and I thought I was a geek! :D

Hah, I blame a work colleague of mine who does loads of plastic models: when we were down at St. Athan a few years ago he was asking them about the different paint colours on the Harriers going through DSG (DARA).

I ended up twiddling my thumbs though a fairly lengthy conversation about it, and unfortunately I'm blessed with a rather superb memory when it comes to useless shite. :)

I did have to do some googling just then with relation to Nimrod though.

Nice Desert Hawk btw. Might have to see about hooking up one of my XBox 360 controllers to the PC for an authentic input device.

Did you have a DH3 model as well or am I thinking of the one Dan did for VBS?

Edited by da12thMonkey

what colour would this BS 381 C:627 Light Aircraft Grey transform to be in Airfix.

I am not weird this is a long story.

Did you have a DH3 model as well or am I thinking of the one Dan did for VBS?

Yeah I've got one. The DH1 was planned for all three sides. A generic solution for MP at least until we finish the UK/BLUFOR, OPFOR and Independent options.

Later versions will be a bit more nation specific. I've got a few models on my Q drive. ;)

Yeah I've got one. The DH1 was planned for all three sides. A generic solution for MP at least until we finish the UK/BLUFOR, OPFOR and Independent options.

Later versions will be a bit more nation specific. I've got a few models on my Q drive. ;)

Smashing.

what colour would this BS 381 C:627 Light Aircraft Grey transform to be in Airfix.

I am not weird this is a long story.

Have a gander though this (I've been using it as reference for the links to colourserver.net for ArmA texturing):

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_uk.htm

Appears that some of the Humbrol paints require mixing a few stock colours to get the right hue.

Edited by da12thMonkey

Light Aircraft Grey was used for the undersides of aircraft when the RAF wore the old green/grey camouflage scheme. The underside of Nimrod was LAG when they had 'Hemp' on the upper surfaces.

The single colour all-over grey shades used now are either 637 MSG, or 626 Camouflage Grey

IIRC the later grey Nimrod R.1s and MR.2s used camouflage grey. MRA.4 was MSG.

I was told by some lad claiming to be a RAF paint shop guy that 627 was the stuff they stick to airframes rotating through their office nowadays. Guess he - and subsequently I - was wrong. It looked about right though in 3ds and Mental Ray renders. Thanks for the heads-up!

There was never a nimrod planned is there because nearly all have been disbanded.

Im sure if Rock wanted to make a Nimrod for Arma2 he could do, advantages of this game you can do the what if scenarios too :)

There was never a nimrod planned is there because nearly all have been disbanded.

Actually we did plan and Nimrod MR2 and MR4.

As R0adki11 says we arent limited here. We can make what we want. using your logic I should have cancelled the Harrier by now. :D

Talking of which, Im actually remapping it. I was convinced by the beta testers that the Textures needed a better texel count. Trust me it will be better for everyone in the long run.

So it is actually planned but not started(I wouldn't suggest that at the moment with 15 other projects on the go)

So it is actually planned but not started(I wouldn't suggest that at the moment with 15 other projects on the go)

EDIT - A bit confused now as to if you meant the Harrier or Nimrod...? Either way both are actually modelled. the Harrie ris ingame but in its current form it looks a bit naff close up. So I am remapping it.

Oh no it was ingame. Well the MR2 was. It was orignally in OFP... It was released quietly in an incomplete form and was horribly bug ridden. The AI really struggled with it.

I converted it to ArmA1 very early on but the lack of torpedoes made it a bit pointless.

About 12 months ago I ported it into ArmA2 with the intention of finishing it and making an MR4. But it stalled due to other commitments and a lack of a decent function for it in game.

It may return who knows :eek:

Edited by RKSL-Rock

I did mean the Nimrod and you aren't doing XV244 are you?

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Rock had donated to the group that's trying to save that old bird. :p

Hey Rock, I was wondering if you could include a optional config in your next updates so that the pilots are the BAF versions?

I did mean the Nimrod and you aren't doing XV244 are you?

I wasn't specifically but I could easily make a "special version" when i get around to the Nimrod again.

Hey Rock, I was wondering if you could include a optional config in your next updates so that the pilots are the BAF versions?

Actually the 1.4 RAF versions do use the BAF pilots. 90% of the people i've spoken to have the full BAF pack and with the Lite versions available I just went ahead and did it since it wouldn't/shouldn't affect anyone negatively.

Eventually I want to create a special pilot model for the Typhoon and other models but right now I just don't have the time. Sooo if anyone wants to step up and make some aircrew for me I would really appreciate it.

Edited by RKSL-Rock

In the first release, no. You'll have to spawn it or place it in the mission using the normal BIS UAV module.

We've discussed various methods for future versions but so far we've not actually developed anything.

Right now i'm just trying to get everything working :)

Thanks for the reply. :)

I asked because if something like that was in place, it would work really well with my All Round Defence addon. In the mod, I've put a bit of emphasis on support from artillery (using the ECHO scripts) and also using UAV's as spotters for the artillery. It would fit in really well if the players unit could carry and deploy a UAV to act as reconnaissance when needed.

I'm not trying to put any pressure on you about adding in features on request, as you've got your own agenda and workflow, so my question is this:

In principle, if you settled not to make a backpack version, would you mind if I made an addon to enable your UAV to be broken down into man portable parts?

Good luck with the development. :)

Thanks for the reply. :)

I asked because if something like that was in place, it would work really well with my All Round Defence addon. In the mod, I've put a bit of emphasis on support from artillery (using the ECHO scripts) and also using UAV's as spotters for the artillery. It would fit in really well if the players unit could carry and deploy a UAV to act as reconnaissance when needed.

I'm not trying to put any pressure on you about adding in features on request, as you've got your own agenda and workflow, so my question is this:

In principle, if you settled not to make a backpack version, would you mind if I made an addon to enable your UAV to be broken down into man portable parts?

Good luck with the development. :)

I'd really like to see a back-packable mini UAV. And I'm open to feature requests as long as they dont include dumb crap like "VTOL Typhoons" and "laser armed rocket bikes" (yes people have asked for them :butbut:) And I promise we'll look into it but right now i just cant promise anything more than that. Honestly UNN and I are over committed as it stands.

In principle and theory it shouldnt be too hard to do. But, as we all know thats so easy to say but can be hard to realise in game. :rolleyes:

Oh Rock Btw... Could you VTOL the Typhoon.... :P sorry couldnt resist

Actually the 1.4 RAF versions do use the BAF pilots. 90% of the people i've spoken to have the full BAF pack and with the Lite versions available I just went ahead and did it since it wouldn't/shouldn't affect anyone negatively.

Eventually I want to create a special pilot model for the Typhoon and other models but right now I just don't have the time. Sooo if anyone wants to step up and make some aircrew for me I would really appreciate it.

Awesome, looking forward to it :).

If you could put XV244 in that would be awesome, My Dad is going to donate to the Nimrod Heritage Trust It would be cool to fly it in Arma.

Might be able to give you a hand with that. I started a pilot model for the F-35 which is still buried in my P: drive amongst my mountain of par-baked addons, that I can probably rework.

IIRC Typhoon and F-35 are meant to use the same RFD Beaufort survival jacket for the Mk.16-type ejection seat, so it was heading in the right direction wrt/ the upper-torso. Model's based on pilot wearing an immersion suit underneath FCAGT and a survival jacket - so that I didn't have to model a fiddly shirt-type collar.

IIRC the model is fairly complete minus the flotation bladders and helmet - which is no biggie as it would be different for Typhoon jockeys (in fact I think I might have canned the original F-35 helmet because I cocked it up anyway). Diffuse was partially done; material textures were not started though.

I'll see what I can do with it in the time I have available, but you can always use it for the starting point of your own model if I can't finish. Expect that to be about the time I look at sorting out the weights and selections (i.e the hard part) ;).

Give me a few days to tidy some stuff up and I'll send some piccies.

If you have any good references for Typhoon pilot equipment...

Might be able to give you a hand with that. I started a pilot model for the F-35 which is still buried in my P: drive amongst my mountain of par-baked addons, that I can probably rework.

Thanks, after the week i'm having this is probably the best news I've had.

IIRC Typhoon and F-35 are meant to use the same RFD Beaufort survival jacket for the Mk.16-type ejection seat, so it was heading in the right direction wrt/ the upper-torso. Model's based on pilot wearing an immersion suit underneath FCAGT and a survival jacket - so that I didn't have to model a fiddly shirt-type collar.

AFAIK the Seat type is the same short of a few fittings for the aircraft so its a safe bet its the same.

IIRC the model is fairly complete minus the flotation bladders and helmet - which is no biggie as it would be different for Typhoon jockeys (in fact I think I might have canned the original F-35 helmet because I cocked it up anyway). Diffuse was partially done; material textures were not started though.

There was an "informed rumour" doing the rounds that the UK wasn't going for the exact same helmet as the US. That may have changed since the SDSR but that came from a fairly reliable Whitehall source. It's supposed to be a lighter and cheaper UK made helmet using the same/similar Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing "bolt on" System they are using on upgraded F-16 and the new F-18E/F.

F35 - http://www.vsi-hmcs.com/pictures/press/F35_GenII_09.jpg

JHMCS - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/Joint_Helmet_Mounted_Cueing_System.jpg

I'll see what I can do with it in the time I have available, but you can always use it for the starting point of your own model if I can't finish. Expect that to be about the time I look at sorting out the weights and selections (i.e the hard part) .

Give me a few days to tidy some stuff up and I'll send some piccies.

Anything you can do would help mate. Right now I'm up to my eyes in family drama and work so i dont have much free time myself.

If you have any good references for Typhoon pilot equipment...

Just uploading some now. I'll email you a link.

Cheers

Does anybody know how to get that World of Tanks advert off of the Armaholic website because I can't click on anything without being sent to through hassle of being sent to World of tanks.com?

Does anybody know how to get that World of Tanks advert off of the Armaholic website because I can't click on anything without being sent to through hassle of being sent to World of tanks.com?

What are we the ArmAholic support group?

Ask here: http://forums.bistudio.com/group.php?groupid=51

Or PM Foxhound.

This is an RKSL thread.

No but I thought that it might have been useful to look here since you are such lovely people.

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

This is an RKSL thread.

Sorry...