Guest RKSL-Rock

RKSL Studios - WIP Discussion

Thats nice to hear about on the Harrier and Typhoon, cant wait to see them goods for the Harrier. Nice work all around, keeps the good work going.

Goto the Options Menu

1. Then Controls
  2. Then from the drop down pick Custom Controls
  3. Scroll down to "Use Action 20" and bid it to a key of your choice. I use the default countermeasures key - "R"
  4. Click OK and you are ready.

thx :)

...What format is the texture file in?

Not sure what you mean? Ingame, its a PAA like everything else?

Great update coming Rock! Huge props to you for bringing us superior air assets. :)

A question about the counter measures. I noticed when they drop i get a rather big FPS drop. Is that just me or in general? If it's in general then i kindly ask if you could take a look at it when the time permits? I know your a busy man and im in no hurry. Great art takes time (and sometimes sweat and blood too).

Thanks man for the great work. Highly appreciated.

...A question about the counter measures. I noticed when they drop i get a rather big FPS drop. Is that just me or in general? If it's in general then i kindly ask if you could take a look at it when the time permits? I know your a busy man and im in no hurry. Great art takes time (and sometimes sweat and blood too).

Thanks, the delays are more down to real life than anything else. But I have a a hard time with the MFD's. More experimenting than anything else.

I'm not aware of any FPS issues atm but it could be something interfering with it. Or a dodgy driver. I get all sorts of issues on the latest ATI drivers. I reverted to 10.2 and it works fine now. So...

1. What sort of spec CPU and GFX card are you running?
  2. What other mods are you running with it?
  3. Is this just in the editor or in a mission as well?
  4. How big a hit are we talking?

Edited by RKSL-Rock
Hit Post instead of preview. DOH!

Hi Rock. Any chance that when you release the typhoon update that you could release it with a version of the BIS mission Dogfigthers. Played it with some friends a couple of days with the A10 and it was great fun.

A question about the counter measures. I noticed when they drop i get a rather big FPS drop. Is that just me or in general? If it's in general then i kindly ask if you could take a look at it when the time permits? I know your a busy man and im in no hurry. Great art takes time (and sometimes sweat and blood too).

When testing make sure you only have RKSL installed with no other third party addons.

You could also try adding this to your mission’s description.ext:

class RKSL_RadarSys
{
radarflareir=0;
radarflarescan=1;
};

radarflareir=0

Turns off the IR targets assigned to each flare.

radarflarescan=1

How often (in seconds) the incoming missile tests against each flare. See if increasing the value helps with the FPS hit.

Something may also have changed with any of the recent patches. If your still getting a FPS hit, could you post up your test mission?

Cheers

I actually also had a problem with a big fps drop last week. I was trying a battle with the csla mig 29 vs the typhoon. As soon as the typhoon started deploying flares fps dropped so the almost stopped.

So just tried deactivating csla and problem was gone.

Dont know if it can help solving the problem.

I actually also had a problem with a big fps drop last week. I was trying a battle with the csla mig 29 vs the typhoon. As soon as the typhoon started deploying flares fps dropped so the almost stopped.

So just tried deactivating csla and problem was gone.

Dont know if it can help solving the problem.

Sorry for the long delay in replying. We're actually quite busy.

Anyway, FPS drop issue. I'm having trouble recreating it but some of the other testers are getting it so we're still looking into it. So until we find the problem here's some idea of what we've spent our time doing...

Typhoon Texture updates and National Plugins

PR-RKSLTyphoon14-401.jpg

PR-RKSLTyphoon14-402.jpg

PR-RKSLTyphoon14-403.jpg

EDIT - OOPS - Alt and Speed labels are reversed on the last pic. :o

Edited by RKSL-Rock

Improved and expanded Weapons Pack

PR-RKSL-Weaponspack14-401.jpg

PR-RKSL-Weaponspack14-402.jpg

PR-RKSL-Weaponspack14-403.jpg

And finally...

PR-RKSL-HarrierGR9-401.jpg

A bit of Harrier Love :bounce3:

Edited by RKSL-Rock

Really liking that Harrier, nice work all around. Keeps the good work up.

Oh just when I thought I'd let the though leave my mind.. you post up these beauties..... Good luck team! I am really looking forward to these... Harrier and ef look gorgeous... Need another tester :P I jest... O yeah one more thing... Are the OpFor aircraft using the same weapons or eastern weapons? I assume its the same loadouts...

Edited by wolfbite

...O yeah one more thing... Are the OpFor aircraft using the same weapons or eastern weapons? I assume its the same loadouts...

For the moment yes.

I have some "OPFOR" stuff in WIP that will require some non-EU/US weapons. After that point the REDFOR may get rearmed.

Mega! Looking forward to the new weapons, and especially that beautiful Harrier.

Will the national markings for Typhoon be generic, or will they relate to particular squadrons/wings like the additional RAF schemes you planned?

P.S. can you make a carrier capable version? ;)

Will the national markings for Typhoon be generic, or will they relate to particular squadrons/wings like the additional RAF schemes you planned?

For the RAF plugin so far we have:

• 3 Squadron
  • 11 Squadron
  • 17 Squadron
  • 29 Squadron
  • 43 Squadron

I still cant bring myself to add 6 squadron (the one designed by the colour blind monkey). Falklands flight is a separate plugin.

Other national markings are generic so far. If someone wants to step up and help with squadrons i'll happily accept the help.

P.S. can you make a carrier capable version? ;)

Which version? CATOBAR or STOBAR? I've been talking to a few friends at EuroFighter (incidentally none of them know anything official) and between us we've come up with what we think would be the main cosmetic changes

The STOBAR ie the Indian Naval option is pretty simple:

• Delete inboard pylons
  • New Nose gear - single trailing wheel
  • Bulged Nose gear door
  • Longer stroke Main gear
  • Enlarged arrestor hook
  • Aerodynamic cowl for the hook
  • Enlarged Eleverons
  • TVC nozzles
  • Optional Conformal/Blister tanks
  • Redesigned DAS pods (wing tips)

CATOBAR i.e. the version to work on the current CVF deck with catapults. It is a bit more complex:

• Delete inboard pylons
  • New Nose gear - twin wheel extended stoke with 3 degree pitch up
  • Bulged Nose gear door
  • Longer Nose gear door and well.
  • Long stroke main gear with a wider track. (Means enlarging the main gear wells)
  • Enlarged arrestor hook
  • Aerodynamic cowl for the hook
  • Enlarged Eleverons
  • Thickened Fin root.
  • Redesigned DAS pods (wing tips)
  • Integrated blister tanks
  • Optional TVC Nozzles or LO Nozzles

Which version? CATOBAR or STOBAR?

I was kidding mate. After the headache it's caused in the 'RN Hornet' thread I didn't think you'd give a second though in telling me to get fucked. :D

If someone wants to step up and help with squadrons i'll happily accept the help.

I could give it a bash. Since the national markings and paint schemes are done it's really just a matter of using the right unit markings.

AFAIK the Spanish ones all carry the same markings for Ala 11 regardless of which of the Escuadrons that use Typhoon within that wing, they belong to. Likewise for the two Italian Gruppos in 4 Stormo (the two Gruppos in 36 Stormo are marked differently though IIRC).

The only other indication of what unit they belong to would be the large aircraft numbers on the side (Ala planes being marked 11-**, 36 stormo being 36** etc); but they're not much use if all planes spawned in ArmA 2 had the same number in place of the asterisks, and it isn't practical to use hidden selection for it.

Let me know if/when you want a hand.

Having a look at your RSAF scheme the markings on the wing could to with some adjustment. The port wing has a low-vis roundel and the starboard one, RSAF in black:

http://www.patricksaviation.com/files/photos/full/39273_35558.jpg

Great news Rock! I cant wait to test out the new hardware. >:)

P.s. Just got my unit to adopt the Typhoon; once I got some of the other guys in aviation to test it out, they fell in love with it. Now we don't have to use the F-15 ArmA1 port anymore! :D

Which brings me to my next question:

What would be required to make a new livery for this beauty? I would like to slap a nice Gryphon, over the RAF bulls-eye. The texture is no problem (Once I get it), but the hex editing and config work is what'll kill me. :p

Thanks for all the hard work, Rock.

Edited by b00ce

The texture is no problem (Once I get it), but the hex editing and config work is what'll kill me.

Mentoining hex-editing Rock's work in his own thread is...

shk62qIBx44

What would be required to make a new livery for this beauty? I would like to slap a nice Gryphon, over the RAF bulls-eye. The texture is no problem (Once I get it), but the hex editing and config work is what'll kill me. :p

I believe the next version should have the named selections sorted so that you can just use 'setobjecttexture' through the init line. Hence, Rock has been able to make these multi-national texture plugins.

Like Gnat said I'd lay off it until then for Rock's sake, and the fact that it'll make the job much easier for you.

I was kidding mate. After the headache it's caused in the 'RN Hornet' thread I didn't think you'd give a second though in telling me to get fucked.

Ooo its tempting... get f... nah its ok.

Actually I really have been thinking about doing one. I've said before in that very thread; I'd actually like to see a Navalised Typhoon (I've never been a fan of the F-35 for the UK) I just don't think it will ever happen in this reality. So making one for ArmA may well be the only way we'll ever see one.

I havent done any work towards it so right now its better to think of it as just a thought kicking around the back of mind. And the changes are just idle but informed speculation with my mates. Could be interesting though.

I could give it a bash. Since the national markings and paint schemes are done it's really just a matter of using the right unit markings....Let me know if/when you want a hand.

I'll PM you later. There's a few things I want to talk to you about anyway.

Having a look at your RSAF scheme the markings on the wing could to with some adjustment. The port wing has a low-vis roundel and the starboard one, RSAF in black:

http://www.patricksaviation.com/files/photos/full/39273_35558.jpg

That's actually the best pic I've seen of the final paint scheme. I was probably using ref pics of the old Hi-vis one from the time the deal was first announced.

Anyway the RSAF lettering vs roundel thing isn't possible due to the way I've unwrapped the model. The wings are actually mirrored so there is no way to add the letters to just one side.

Which brings me to my next question:

Thanks for all the hard work, Rock.

Oh you rescued yourself with the "thank you" there :)

Hex editing is a no-no these days. There is absolutely no need if the addon is setup correctly.

As Da12th correctly says the 1.4 version supports hidden selection texture swapping. Its setup as a core file with plugin pbos. So if you want only your own version all you need is the rksl-typhoon.pbo file and your own config and texture PBO.

We will be releasing a config and texture template with a short tutorial that shows you how to make your own skins and versions.

I'm also planning on writing a tut about creating your own loadouts since some people seem to struggle doing this in the editor.