Sign in to follow this  
Horus

New patch 1.04

LOL @ BI letting us down again, this patch and the last are awesome imo.

Keep doing what your doing BI, ARMA2 is awesome, as are the updates.

They have let us down, we got told they would be focusing on performance in this patch and they have clearly not done so?? Unless you have noticed an increased in FPS? But if you have im not sure why that would be as there are no performance fixes listed??? :j:

Anyways not much we can do now except wait for the next patch...:butbut:

They have let us down, we got told they would be focusing on performance in this patch and they have clearly not done so?? Unless you have noticed an increased in FPS? But if you have im not sure why that would be as there are no performance fixes listed??? :j:

Anyways not much we can do now except wait for the next patch...:butbut:

My performance is fine unless I'm A: Hosting a server, or B: In one of the two largest cities, where my game crashes.

I think the exact wording was that they were working on it and hoping to get it fixed for this patch, but I think it became more important to get the patch out with fixes for mouse lag and some of the crashes, so hopefully the next patch will have a greater performance increase.

I hate repeating myself but since the same statement was pretty much said twice then I'll stick with my original response which obviously must have been overlooked.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

or to put a little more refinement on it, here's the post from Placebo about the fixes they were working on

A couple of prioritised areas we're hoping to address for 1.04 are "mouse lag" (this is something we've not been able to reproduce locally but we believe there are a couple of things we can do to help the situation for those users who do seem to suffer from it), the second area we're prioritising is improving performance, especially in urban areas, of course there will be other things addressed in 1.04 but it's too early to go into details about those just yet.

Before I start up Steam I just want to get confirmation from someone whether the steam patch is 4GB in size again or not. If it is not, what size download can I expect?

Before I start up Steam I just want to get confirmation from someone whether the steam patch is 4GB in size again or not. If it is not, what size download can I expect?

It is small!

Thanks p75 and Juggernaut.

@ p75, unfortunately small is a relative word when it comes to internet downloads. In our country small means less than 100MB, in other countries it could mean less than 1000MB. But thanks for responding anyway :)

Installed patch 1.04 yesterday.

Now I have better performance.The gameplay is fluid:

- FPS level and stability (min 25, average 35, max 55).

-FPS increase (+10%-15%)

My PC:

Intel Core 2 E6750, @2.900

Ram 2 giga 800 Mhz

GeForce 8800 @630

My ArmA 2 settings (main):

-Forced from Nvidia driver maximum AA (16Q) and anisotropic (8x), best quality, triple bufferring (this impacts the quality in-game, mainly very sharp textures !)

- LCD 17", 1024 x 768, 3d resolution (1280x1024, + 125%)

- view distance 1.500 mt (I play mainly ground forces, so I do not need further distance)

- Shadows very high, post-processing and antialiasing disabled.

- anisotropic normal (i put it, even if I forced from the Nvdia driver, it does not affect FPS)

All in all, I'm happy with the patch 1.04.:)

Edited by eirulan

Yeah, why the hell do they release patches anyway? Such a letdown.

The letdown is that I now own the game since the initial german release days and still can not play most of the included missions at playable framerate, since the 5000+ AMD I have (which by the box is above "Recommended Optimal System") can't handle the load.

And don't go telling me my CPU is old - then they should have given honest system specs on the box, but of course it would be bad marketing to write that you need a very new current CPU to actually be able and play the included campaign or SP missions at anything more than 15FPS.

It was good that they got the first few patches out quick and added FSAA in the "second and half" update, but now after four patches still no playable performance is a joke. I'll be done upgrading my system before they release 1.05.

The letdown is that I now own the game since the initial german release days and still can not play most of the included missions at playable framerate, since the 5000+ AMD I have (which by the box is above "Recommended Optimal System") can't handle the load.

And don't go telling me my CPU is old - then they should have given honest system specs on the box, but of course it would be bad marketing to write that you need a very new current CPU to actually be able and play the included campaign or SP missions at anything more than 15FPS.

It was good that they got the first few patches out quick and added FSAA in the "second and half" update, but now after four patches still no playable performance is a joke. I'll be done upgrading my system before they release 1.05.

Yeah, I guess my reaction was a bit out of place. Sorry.

game definately runs smoother for me... I even bumped up shadows to maximum which would have been unthinkable before.

Seems to be a lot less pop-up/re-draw as well

everything feels smoother and looks better.

Nice job BIS

im extreamly dissapointed with the new patch. 1.02 was the best patch for me. ever since 1.03 iv been crashing if i play more then 15 minutes. and that was just for multiplayer. 1.04 makes me now crash in singleplayer

what OS and GPU if i may ask ?

Yeah, I guess my reaction was a bit out of place. Sorry.

No need to apologize, I understand your frustration with people always seeing only the negative.

I really like the game, and I'm glad the initial patches fixed glaring problems rather than performance so everyone can at least play stable.

But now the wait for BIS to get the performance into a range that jives with their system specs on the box is getting a tad bit long. For now I'm limited to playing self-created missions with about 80AI units total, everything more and I drop below 20FPS (independent from GFX settings, it's the AI).

I don't blame BIS for being overly optimistic about implementing a really good Micro AI at high CPU costs, but they can't possible have wanted to release a game where the default included content only runs on current-year CPUs.

So lets hope for some performance cleanup in 1.05.

It seems the 59025 poor performance during action followed this one. Would be expected i guess, but i wonder why this happens? Better AI? Then i can take the loss of performance.

Just tested a mission i made and with the 59008 i got very good performance during action. With 1.04 it gets very stuttery during that same part. So much i can barely see whats on the screen when turning around. Not that i loose a lot of FPS, but the screen just flicker almost. Combo loss of FPS and i think it must be something with the mouse.

I have done a lot of tests with VSYNC on/off, Pre Rendered Frames 1-6 etc. Will test some more and see if there is a solution i can find on my end. Maybe it is the extra care of the mouse that causes this. If it is - im afraid 59008 was better - for me.

Cant be easy to be BIS atm with this silly mouse thing.

Alex

Im getting the same thing (i think). The screen stutters, especially when looking around. I also think it has to do with the mouse settings.

Anyways im back to 1.03 now.

game definately runs smoother for me... I even bumped up shadows to maximum which would have been unthinkable before.

Seems to be a lot less pop-up/re-draw as well

everything feels smoother and looks better.

Nice job BIS

Are there really FPS increases (although the changelog doesn't specify performance fixes) or might this be a result of the mouse input changes?

Since there are some civilians module fixes, I hope that every MP mission will have civilians there now. I don't like watching clearing the towns done by throwing bombs only.

Game also runs smoother to me.

Keep up the good work BI.

Only noticed that with the sun low on the horizon behind a mountain it creates shadows... weird... bud maybe that was also before this patch. Not a big problem for me... just noticed it.

"* New: Command line argument -cpuCount=NNN to override cpu count detection."

Is this new?

no not really but sort of... :)

its only new if you have not been paying attention M8...;)

Im getting the same thing (i think). The screen stutters, especially when looking around. I also think it has to do with the mouse settings.

Anyways im back to 1.03 now.

if its when youre looking around, it sounds like what happens sometimes if you have mouse smoothing set to 0? Try adding a tiny bit of mouse smoothing....

Patch also seems to improve general smoothness and fps for me somewhat :) great job!

The rudders are... well... I don't know the terminology... auto-correcting? Is this meant to happen?

ie if you roll left, the rudders will turn left too.

and after using rudders in level flight it auto-correct by oscillating.

I find this incredibly annoying.

The patch works great for me. It looks like i got some performance boost and can now play the game with normal/high with 20-25 fps. (before i had 15-20 on these settings).

They also fixed more things than there is about in the change log, like for example the smokegrenades is now smoking again!

Great patch once again! Now only the linux server is needed!

The rudders are... well... I don't know the terminology... auto-correcting? Is this meant to happen?

ie if you roll left, the rudders will turn left too.

and after using rudders in level flight it auto-correct by oscillating.

I find this incredibly annoying.

Actually, rudders at high speed are sorta worthless. (In real life). And a plane will oscillate in level flight in real life as well. Both on the vertical and horizontal when the rudder or elevators are moved from neutral. It's slight but should steady out after 2-3 oscillations. Dunno if the flight model in game exaggerates it though. Since I have the Steam version, I'm re-downloading cause of a bad patch and can't test.

if its when youre looking around, it sounds like what happens sometimes if you have mouse smoothing set to 0? Try adding a tiny bit of mouse smoothing....

Patch also seems to improve general smoothness and fps for me somewhat :) great job!

Its not just when looking around, but more noticeable when doing that. I also tried changing mouse smoothing, it didnt help... Ill try installing it once again and see if i still get similar probs

It tells that Bandlands is fixed. But, I tried it few minutes ago, and again no end :\

Starting over from an old save, and that doesn't work. ( The left shift/- cmd doesn't work, don't know why, maybe I'm missing something ).

Anyway, a good patch to me, it runs smoother with 5/10fps increasing.