dmarkwick

JTD Fire And Smoke

There is no reason that JTD Fire & Smoke will not work with any other mod. It's totally self contained (apart from its CBA dependence) and doesn't replace or change anything default. It only adds new content.

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

can someone explain to me how i can turn the fire off in the config file ? i am VERY new to the world of arma and mods.

I love the smoke, but not such a fan of the fire.

if anyone could explain what to do in SIMPLETON terms that would be fantastic. cheers :cool:

In the JTD_FireAndSmoke_config.hpp file, on line 11 you'll see this:

#define JTD_ForestFireEnabled true

and you'll need to change it so that it now reads:

#define JTD_ForestFireEnabled false

Markwick

What is the best way to use this on a dedi server. Should the server and all the clients load this? Just the Server? Just the clients?

Both server and client need it, but my tests have shown that the client hpp settings are ignored and the server hpp settings are used.

Love the way JTD fire burn up everything around the hit zone! hehehehe! Especially cool when I saw an entire stronghold burn up after RPGing its MG nest! hahahaha GREAT WORK! Its my must have mod now!

Ooh nice, thanks :)

How do I update it with new versions?

NP :)

ATM I have to do this but I am planning on opening up the Mods and Servers APIs sometime early 2010, so authors and server owners can manage their own :)

hmmmm i cant get this to work, when i add the Community Based Addons it causes the game to crash

This only works with vanilla vehicles right? Cause i dont see the smoke as it should be with other addons. I see that its just that mod i was useing Fromz Full Moon vehicles all is good.

Edited by 1in1class
Fix

hmmmm i cant get this to work, when i add the Community Based Addons it causes the game to crash

Then I'd suggest you have another issue, as CBA is a required addon for Fire and Smoke. Maybe check the order you're loading your addons.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before, but there is a huge amount of bloat that happens to savegames. At least it seems that way. The savegame files are filled with bird code, so I am trying it again without birds enabled. Has anyone else had this happen to them, or are 100mb savegames routine after a long play session?

I tried to play the game without the JTD Fire and Smoke mod, but it's very hard to go back to vanilla smoke and no fires. Not only is all of the smoke beautiful to watch, but you lose the gameplay of an obscured battlefield and markings of heated battles. Add fire to this and you can see just how much this mod adds.

I, for one, am heartily disappointed that this mod was not included in the Community Awards list at BIS.

I can't argue with most of the other options for Addons/Mods, but this Fire And Smoke should have been included. Actually, there are a couple on the list that I think are inferior for various reasons, but I won't name them.

Just color me disappointed.

I, for one, am heartily disappointed that this mod was not included in the Community Awards list at BIS.

I can't argue with most of the other options for Addons/Mods, but this Fire And Smoke should have been included. Actually, there are a couple on the list that I think are inferior for various reasons, but I won't name them.

Just color me disappointed.

You speak the truth. Colour me too.

Have to agree - this mod is one of my favourites for Arma 2. It's pretty satisfying to pop a tank open, watch as the surrounding area is engulfed by flame, and think "I did that - Yeah"!

I think that maybe one of the reasons that it didn't make the list is that from what I understand, there's online issues with F&S, which would limit the exposure of the mod. It would be good to see it sorted for 2010 :)

It's excellent though and I keep periodically checking the thread to see if there's been some updates or progress. I like using it in SP, but it seems that not many people use it on MP. 'Tis a shame JTD missed out but hope you have a successful 2010 :)

Yup i voted for this mod is well and was very surprised it didnt make it, umm yeh quess i should have just cheated and hammered the same nomination again and again all day long, imo this is what i think has happened and everyone else who did vote fairly got f* over .

Edited by Opticalsnare

Yeah, I nominated it, too, but declined to do so using all my different email addys.

Oh well, I know D didn't do it for any sort of public acclaim. He'll likely be rather embarrassed that I said anything at all (which, in fact, was a significant motivating factor for me to do it). ;)

When it comes to recognizing how much this mod contributes to gameplay.... those who know, know.

When it comes to recognizing how much this mod contributes to gameplay.... those who know, know.

Amen.

hehe

In PM conversation with someone, I realized some of the other mods that weren't on the list - SLX, ZeusAI, WarFX, DAC (particularly interesting as some of the other mods included contributions to ArmA 1)....

I guess they didn't want to advertise addons that should have been part of the game to begin with.....

;)

@Markwick

Are you working on the blocky black squares that appear from far when the smoke comes out?

Is there a chance to improve the performance (FPS) even more?

With all the mods now (ACE, GL4, ZEUS, VFAI, JTD) every single frame more is gold-worth.

@Markwick

With all the mods now (ACE, GL4, ZEUS, VFAI, JTD) every single frame more is gold-worth.

Have you given GameBooster a try?

Anyone else not able to use this along with WarFX Particles Mod?

I cant. Its either one or the other and I prefer the awesome particle mod but I do love the smoke in this mod...I wish there was a way to use both.:(

@Markwick

Are you working on the blocky black squares that appear from far when the smoke comes out?

Is there a chance to improve the performance (FPS) even more?

Do you really see any real benefits stacking up 3 AI mods??? Each of them works perfectly individually. AI takes up the most CPU power and stacking 3 up not only doesn't make your gameplay better, it slows down your system like anything.

@Enad - I think I am getting both effects by putting JTD after WarFX. Most of JTD's effects are overlays, not overrides, so it should not get in the way of your other mods. BUT if you put WarFX after JTD, JTD effects might get overridden.

Anyone else not able to use this along with WarFX Particles Mod?

I cant. Its either one or the other and I prefer the awesome particle mod but I do love the smoke in this mod...I wish there was a way to use both.:(

I've been using both but I do notice some issues. I'm not that sold on WarFX anyway though.

I have @JTD after @WarFXParticles.

I've uninstalled JTD since it didnt work. I'll try using it again and seeing if it works.

I really appreciate your hard work and I would love to use this mod. I had it working when it was first released and then WarFX came out and it didnt work then suddenly It worked but JTD smoke doesnt...So weird.