dmarkwick

JTD Fire And Smoke

Loving this mod.

When I first installed it, sabot rounds would create that awesome mud plume effect, but wierdly they stopped doing this... I wonder if it has anything to do with ACE.

Also, is there any chance of seeing those awesome grenade explosion effects in a coming update?

This time around JTD_FireAndSmoke do not affect any default effects, it only adds new ones in. So the awesome mud plumes from ArmA1 JTD_SmokeEffects is not there. However, I am toying with a JTD_ExtraEffects addon possibly, which will add in some changes to some effects that I think can be improved. Like the grenades ;) in fact, I can post that one up. It's the only effect altered right now, so it's a really tiny addon, I was waiting until I had rather more to offer :D

Ahaha now I know why I had the mud plumes; I had forgotten to remove your ARMA1 effects mod after trying to run it on ARMA2 (this was from ages ago).

So it seems the mud plumes from your ARMA1 effects mod must be already compatible :P

Either way, I'd love to have a copy of the grenade effects for ARMA2, even if it isn't in a pack with the rest of the effects. I probably even mutilate the sabot impact into it on my own, so thats all good :P

Cheers,

Frohman

So it seems the mud plumes from your ARMA1 effects mod must be already compatible :P

Really? That's rather good news, I will transfer it across immediately :) Thanks for the heads-up.

Either way, I'd love to have a copy of the grenade effects for ARMA2, even if it isn't in a pack with the rest of the effects. I probably even mutilate the sabot impact into it on my own, so thats all good :P

Tell you what I'll do - I'll put the mud-flinging into it, if it works, I'l make a release :)

If it doesn't, I'll send you a link to a pre-pre-release grenade effect ;) ;)

OOH YEAHH DMarkwick ...the mud splatter from arma1 is my absolute favorite effect ...i must have it in arma2 oohhh plz:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Ahaha now I know why I had the mud plumes; I had forgotten to remove your ARMA1 effects mod after trying to run it on ARMA2 (this was from ages ago).

Can you tell me under what situations you see the mud plumes? I cannot see any under the situations I used to see them in ArmA1. I do see some mud plumes when tank rounds hit the ground but they're not mine.

Vanilla sabot rounds look like grenade explosions... A puff of smoke basically.

From memory the newer ACE versions have included more hit effects, there is a chance they've changed to pretty much the vanilla bullet impact (dust kicked up)... Not sure though.

When I accidentally had your sabot impacts in the sabot rounds from M1A2 TUSK tanks that missed (and hit the ground) kicked up a plume of dark brown mud and a couple of glob like things - exactly like what is demonstrated in one of your Youtube videos. (By exactly I mean EXACTLY)

Tomorow I shall test this out to find you some more specifics, but my eyes didn't lie to me; I'm positive these were your effects.

Hmm, I'll put down what I know for sure about the situation I saw these effects:

Island: CAA1 Sahrani

Units: Roughly 7 T90s, 6 M1A2 Abrams

Other major modifications running: CBA, ACE, JTD F&S, CAA1

Quite possibly the effect is recognising something to do with the textures/terrain type from Sahrani, and thus being activated... Although I'm guessing you have WAY more experience in this area than me.

That would also explain why I did not see it when I tested again on Utes (before I did a major modification clean out and organisation).

Hopefully this helps, expect more specific test results in ~12 hours or so.

Cheers,

Frohman

It might be that you were using ArmA1 tanks also as part of the CAA1 package. In which case the configs would apply, I've a feeling the config names are different for ArmA2.

I was using CAA1 Worlds Only

I did some testing with different mods enabled, arranged etc and have not had any luck yet. I'm thinking this was a very specific glitch or something, possibly caused by conflicts between mods.

I've tried running the mod on its own (with CBA for XEH), but it does not even start that way (tried with the .hpp config file in many different locations). Putting the effects pbo into another modfolder seems to have allowed it to start with no errors, but no sign of the mud plumes.

Edited by Frohman

CAA1 Worlds Only still uses OAC which have all classes defined, they are just hidden.

Question:

I know this is client side only but when I'm playing online in Wafare/Domination missions the only time I see the JTD effects (smoke only, I've disabled the fires) is when a vehicle I was last in is destroyed. All other vehicle deaths result in stardard BIS flames/smoke.

Any way to change this so that all vehicles use the JTF effects?

Question:

I know this is client side only

Is it? I always run it server side too. In fact we've noticed that client's hpp file is ignored in favour of that on the server.

Question:

I know this is client side only but when I'm playing online in Wafare/Domination missions the only time I see the JTD effects (smoke only, I've disabled the fires) is when a vehicle I was last in is destroyed. All other vehicle deaths result in stardard BIS flames/smoke.

Any way to change this so that all vehicles use the JTF effects?

The addon is meant to be used similar to most other addons i.e. everyone (including the server) must have it. Only then will you see full consistent results. Same as other MP addons :)

If you're playing client-side only, then the reason you're only seeing smoke on your own destroyed vehicles is that while you are piloting/driving that vehicle, it is local to your machine. I believe this is to reduce ingame lag for the driver (the most important vehicle member) so that there are not more crashes due to it. This is why all other vehicle members often see lag but the pilot/driver does not.

As such, the local-to-your-machine vehicle will get smoke applied to it when it is destroyed.

The addon is meant to be used similar to most other addons i.e. everyone (including the server) must have it. Only then will you see full consistent results. Same as other MP addons :)

Thanks for clearing that up - there's been a few grumblings from people here and there that F&S is inconsistent online. I guess it must have been missing from a few machines during online play.

Thanks for clearing that up - there's been a few grumblings from people here and there that F&S is inconsistent online. I guess it must have been missing from a few machines during online play.

Well the next WIP version will include an anti-RPT file spamming measure for people who don't use it, but this addon is odd in that although it's ostensibly a MP addon, people insist that it must be both MP capable and also magically not required by everybody :)

Try doing that with a custom tank addon ;)

people insist that it must be both MP capable and also magically not required by everybody

I think you're missing the "this addmagic" command... :)

For the next version, are you looking at adding burnt textures to the ground and trees? I remember some chat waaaay back in the thread, but it all went a bit quiet. (I'm not trying to leech details/spoilers out of you, of course) ;)

For the next version, are you looking at adding burnt textures to the ground and trees? I remember some chat waaaay back in the thread, but it all went a bit quiet. (I'm not trying to leech details/spoilers out of you, of course) ;)

Well I suppose it's possible to sequester & modify the crater texture effect to achieve this, but the tree textures won't change unfortunately as they're map objects and "hard wired" to look that way.

But, as ever, I have one eye on general performance and it sounds to me like placing burned-ground textures all over the place for each fire would be detrimental :) but, never say never ;)

But, as ever, I have one eye on general performance and it sounds to me like placing burned-ground textures all over the place for each fire would be detrimental but, never say never

Hmm, very good point, it could end up as little more than a slideshow after a really big engagement. There's probably lots of cool fire stuff that would be mega to put in save for CPU/GPU restrictions (heat haze from fires/sparks popping out from fire as the wood explodes/sounds of trees screeching as they fall etc)

There's always stuff to wish for I suppose, but just to have a system of starting and migrating fires is more than excellent! Cheers :)

@JTDman, put em all in and then setup a userconfig for those who finds it all too heavy to turn off certain features. :)

DM this is a late reply but that beta sound replace works very nice indeed, deffo does the job :)

DM this is a late reply but that beta sound replace works very nice indeed, deffo does the job :)

Hmm, I didnt notice a difference. Im gonna test more.

I'm having a problem using ACE2 (SU ver 316) with JTD Fire and Smoke addon.. Every time I enable JTD Fire and Smoke and I take a ACE weapon from an weaponbox or have a ace vehicle on the mission I get a popup: "This mission requires content that was deleted..... blablabla" even though it works just fine. currently my startup line has cba, ace, acex, acex_pla, acex_sm, quesh kibrul, fdf podagorsk, isla duala, six aiaktalik, namalsk, panthera, japahto and jtd.. if I remove JTD all works just fine but if I have it on I get those errors all the time.. anyone else with this problem and idea how to solve it?

Edit: heres a screenshot I took:

jtderror.jpg

when I remove JTD from the startup line the error also goes away..

Edited by Sekra

@DMarkwick

Berghoff told me that he has sent you a list all of all his used trees in the AfricanFoliage-package. I´m wondering why they are not implemented in the trees list of the JTD FAS addon.

Could you send me that list per pm so i can add them for myself?

By the way: I really enjoy your mod!

@DMarkwick

Berghoff told me that he has sent you a list all of all his used trees in the AfricanFoliage-package. I´m wondering why they are not implemented in the trees list of the JTD FAS addon.

Could you send me that list per pm so i can add them for myself?

By the way: I really enjoy your mod!

Currently my config's JTD_DEFAULT_TREE_NAMES definition looks like this:

#define JTD_DEFAULT_TREE_NAMES ["T_ACER2S.P3D","T_ALNUS2S.P3D","T_BETULA1F.P3D","T_BETULA2F.P3D","T_BETULA2S.P3D","T_BETULA2W.P3D","T_CARPINUS2S.P3D","T_FAGUS2F.P3D","T_FAGUS2S.P3D","T_FAGUS2W.P3D","T_FRAXINUS2S.P3D","T_FRAXINUS2W.P3D","T_LARIX3F.P3D","T_LARIX3S.P3D","T_MALUS1S.P3D","T_PICEA1S.P3D","T_PICEA2S.P3D","T_PICEA3F.P3D","T_PINUSN1S.P3D","T_PINUSN2S.P3D","T_PINUSS2F.P3D","T_POPULUS3S.P3D","T_PYRUS2S.P3D","T_QUERCUS2F.P3D","T_QUERCUS3S.P3D","T_SALIX2S.P3D","T_SORBUS2S.P3D","T_STUB_PICEA.P3D","DD_BOROVICE.P3D","DD_BOROVICE02.P3D","DD_BUSH01.P3D","DD_BUSH02.P3D","HRUSEN2.P3D","JABLON.P3D","KER BUXUS.P3D","KER DERAVEJ.P3D","KER PICHLAVEJ.P3D","KROVI.P3D","KROVI2.P3D","KROVI4.P3D","KROVI_BIGEST.P3D","KROVI_LONG.P3D","LES_BUK.P3D","LES_DUB.P3D","LES_DUB_JINY.P3D","LES_FIKOVNIK2.P3D","LES_SINGLESTROM.P3D","LES_SINGLESTROM_B.P3D","OLIVIA.P3D","PALMTEST.P3D","PALM_01.P3D","PALM_02.P3D","PALM_03.P3D","PALM_04.P3D","PALM_09.P3D","PALM_10.P3D","SMRK_SIROKY.P3D","SMRK_VELKY.P3D","STR BRIZA.P3D","STR BUK.P3D","STR DUB JINY.P3D","STR DUB.P3D","STR HABR.P3D","STR JAVOR.P3D","STR JERABINA.P3D","STR KASTAN.P3D","STR KROVISKO VYSOKE.P3D","STR LIPA.P3D","STR OSIKA.P3D","STR TRNKA.P3D","STR VRBA.P3D","STR_BRIZA_KRIVA.P3D","STR_BRIZA_ROVNA.P3D","STR_FIKOVNIK.P3D","STR_FIKOVNIK2.P3D","STR_FIKOVNIK_KER.P3D","STR_LISKAC.P3D","STR_PINIE.P3D","STR_TOPOL.P3D","STR_TOPOL2.P3D","BRG_AFRICANBOXWOOD_1.P3D","BRG_AFRICANBOXWOOD_2.P3D","BRG_AFRICANDOUMPALM_1.P3D","BRG_ALOE1.P3D","BRG_ALOE2.P3D","BRG_ALOE3.P3D","BRG_BAOBAB_1.P3D","BRG_BIRD_1.P3D","BRG_BIRD_2.P3D","BRG_BIRD_3.P3D","BRG_BOTTLE_1.P3D","BRG_BOTTLE_2.P3D","BRG_BOTTLE_3.P3D","BRG_BOTTLE_4.P3D","BRG_CARISSA_1.P3D","BRG_CARISSA_2.P3D","BRG_DATEPALM_1.P3D","BRG_DATEPALM_2.P3D","BRG_DATEPALM_3.P3D","BRG_DATEPALM_4.P3D","BRG_DEADSTUFF1.P3D","BRG_ELEGRASS_1.P3D","BRG_UMBRELLA_ACACIA01.P3D","BRG_UMBRELLA_ACACIA01B.P3D","BRG_UMBRELLA_ACACIA02.P3D","BRG_UMBRELLA_ACACIA02B.P3D","BRG_UMBRELLA_ACACIA03.P3D","BRG_UMBRELLA_ACACIA03B.P3D","BRG_UMBRELLA_ACACIA04.P3D","BRG_UMBRELLA_ACACIA04B.P3D","BRG_UMBRELLA_ACACIA_NEW01.P3D","BRG_UMBRELLA_ACACIA_SHRUB01.P3D","BRG_UMBRELLA_ACACIA_SHRUB02.P3D","BRG_UMBRELLA_ACACIA_SHRUB1.P3D","BRG_UMBRELLA_ACACIA_SHRUB2.P3D"]

Which should make the Isla Duala games play out somewhat more excitingly :)