dmarkwick

JTD Fire And Smoke

(searched and did find any hits...sorry if it's been brought up)

Love the Fire and Smoke.

Wondering if there is a way to extenguish the fires (ie: a C-130 dumping retardant). I could see it done with a modified red smoke to simulate the retardant drop, but I've no clue how to one might go about actually turning off the flames.

Just thinking out loud. For some reason, it was the first thing to come to mind when I started my first forest fire in-game.

;)

hehe

I'm for it also. :) Not only would it be kinda cool to have a fire-fighting mod (and it would), but I was playing a mission last night, and had to blow some stuff up. As I was taking aim at a T-72, I thought, "Shit, I should wait until it moves further away from that building, otherwise this whole place could go up...."

That's quite cool - I've had a few 'mishaps' fighting near ammo containers using JTD! The mod is certainly very immersive.

I'm really interested to see the development of this mod. The smoke effects are amazing, and it's really awesome to look around after a battle and see the carnage that gets wrought on Mother Earth. Sort of reminds me of the aftermath of the rebel base fight in Predator. Luckily though, there's no big rasta alien waiting to carve me up after a JTD powered skirmish :)

I was initially using the standard HPP config and having a few problems, but I think it was Alex72 who suggested lowering the settings slightly. It's working really well now - thanks :)

Good luck for it's future development.

I've really reined in the settings. I love the addon, but in an action packed Domination session, it just gets too much for some clients - 8 or 9 thick columns of smoke bogs down older machines, especially the fast movers.

Addon jtd_fireandsmoke (entry birdscube) not found in the list of active addons.
Addon jtd_fireandsmoke (entry firemarkervis) not found in the list of active addons.
Addon jtd_fireandsmoke (entry firemarkerinv) not found in the list of active addons.

I don't get why these still come up, despite you using:

activateAddons ["JTD_FireAndSmoke"];

Maybe you should do it preInit. :j:

Error in expression <unt _NearbyTrees);
_NearbyBuildings = nearestObjects [_vehicle,["building"],_R>
 Error position: <nearestObjects [_vehicle,["building"],_R>
 Error 0 elements provided, 3 expected
File JTD_FireAndSmoke\Scripts\FireAndSmoke.sqf, line 142

Error in expression <ct;
while {true} do
{
_nearestFire = nearestObjects [_thisObject,["firemarker>
 Error position: <nearestObjects [_thisObject,["firemarker>
File JTD_FireAndSmoke\Scripts\FireDamage.sqf, line 30

Of these two is new, isnt it? :yay:

Do we need to use extended event handlers? and where would they go? and I get this error

"File dmsmokeeffects\config.cpp,line1125;.TankDust2;UndefinedBaseclass'Default' "

Do I have to build the config file myself putting in the appropriate parameters listing vehicles affected?.

Sorry new to this and when doing a read me for mod install maybe a description of what to do with ALL the files in a mod, including those that the mod needs to work properly, unless of course you would rather it be an exclusive club not taking any new members.

Edited by lobi

Do we need to use extended event handlers? and where would they go? and I get this error

"File dmsmokeeffects\config.cpp,line1125;.TankDust2;UndefinedBaseclass'Default' "

Do I have to build the config file myself putting in the appropriate parameters listing vehicles affected?.

Sorry new to this and when doing a read me for mod install maybe a description of what to do with ALL the files in a mod, including those that the mod needs to work properly, unless of course you would rather it be an exclusive club not taking any new members.

Yes I believe you need XEH, use them anyway. It's in the CBA Mod. You can either use the Mod folder that it comes in or just take out the extendedeventhandlers.pbo and place it with the JTD smoke .pbo in the @JTD/AddOns folder.

No you do not need to write a new config or anything like that. Did you place the userconfig folder that came with the JTD DL in the main ArmA 2 directory? That has the config.hpp for the JTD effects in it. I don't think you need to add anything to it but it allows you to tweak the amount of time the smoke columns appear and stuff like that.

I believe there is a readme, isn't there? There was in the link I used. I'll take a look for mine.

EDIT:

Yup, here it is. It looks like #4 in the 'Step-by-step instructions:' section is wrong though. Just place that userconfig folder in the main ArmA 2 directory, not DMSmokeEffects_Config.hpp in the Dta folder. The userconfig folder now contains the DMSmokeEffects_Config.hpp.

***What do I need?***

You need the JTD_FireAndSmoke.pbo file, the JTD_FireAndSmoke_config.hpp file, and you need the CBA (Community Base Addons) install.

***How do I use it?***

You treat the JTD_FireAndSmoke.pbo file just like any other addon file, you place it in the mod folder of your choice, in the addons subfolder. The JTD_FireAndSmoke_config.hpp file MUST go in your ArmA2\dta folder. It contains settings and information that the addon needs to run.

Step-by-step instructions:

1. Extract content to someplace.

2. Put the @JTD folder in your ArmA2 folder

3. Make a shortcut to your ArmA2 game with the switch -mod=@JTD or add the @JTD to your list of mods already there.

4. Place DMSmokeEffects_Config.hpp file into your ArmA2\dta folder.

Instructions for the totally clueless :) (as requested):

1. First, make sure you copied the @JTD folder into your ArmA2 game folder, AND you also copied the DMSmokeEffects_Config.hpp file into your ArmA2\dta folder.

2. right click on your desktop ArmA2 shortcut, copy it and paste the copy right back in the same place. You now have TWO desktop shortcuts, one of which we will now modify to use the JTD_FireAndSmoke mod, the other will remain just ArmA2.

3. Right click one of the shortcuts, and choose Properties from the list.

In the Target textbox field you will see the command that is executed by this shortcut, it will read something like:

"D:\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA2\arma2.exe"

You will now add

-mod=@JTD

to the end of this, so in the example above the entire line in the textbox will read:

"D:\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA2\arma2.exe" -mod=@JTD

4. Now you can OK the Properties box and the shortcut will now run JTD_FireAndSmoke. You can rename the shortcut to remind you of what mod it runs, I have several shortcuts that run various different mods.

***How do I alter it?***

There are several config settings you can use in the JTD_FireAndSmoke_config.hpp file, mostly to do with enabling and disabling various aspects of JTD_FireAndSmoke. You can also alter the lifetime of effects to give you longer, or shorter, smoke effects over time. You can also set the number of concurrent tree fires so that forest fires don't get out of control and bog your PC down. The settings have descriptions in the file.

Also, you can add or subtract tree names from the list of trees in there, so you can add any custom trees you've made for your map for example. The trees that are currently in there are trees from ArmA2 and ArmA1 also, so if you use the CAA1 mod for example the addon will work in ArmA1 maps just as it does for the ArmA2 maps.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Manzilla

Dear creator of this mod, this mod kicks ass. I have had much fun seeing forest and village fires, i must say this is the most immersive mod at the time.

I have a question, i was hopeing to get answered.

Is it possible to change the fire effects to the same color as the ones found in WarFX mod, i think warfx has the best fire effects i have ever seen. I have been trying to manually mod the fires, but without success so far.

I have been trying to change config file too, but it didnt help.

Anyway, thanks for this awesom mod and your hard work.

Ok finally found the two critical MP issues:

1) You have to use createVehicleLocal all the time, if you want to make a client side addon.

Especially for FX there is no reason to use createVehicle.

2) SetVehicleInit. Very bad. You cannot execute scripts on all machines, if its not

made sure that everyone has it.

Something we found; the client side hpp files are ignored if the server has an hpp file.

Tankbuster: thats nice, same for everyone. Of course host needs to make a optimal settings for all members, especially those playing on weak PCs.

If the hpp file is not required on clients, it simplifies install. I'll test to see if it's required but ignored.

Hello,

First of all, thanks for this nice mod, we use it since the beginning on our server.

One question, did anyone know how to prevent the depots (capturepoints) in Warfare gamemode from catching fire? Unfortunately, it will stuck the AI if the depot is burned down andf it continously try to capture it.

Thanks and best regrads,

alfons

Edited by alfons77

I dont think you can. But you can set the depot (in its INIT field): this allowDamage false;

...i think. Then it wont be destroyed anyway. But you will get hurt as long as the fire burns. Set the fire to 0.5 in JTD userconfig so it doesnt burn too long could be an idea also. And maybe im talking out of my ass and there IS a real solution to your problem. Not sure. :)

I dont think you can. But you can set the depot (in its INIT field): this allowDamage false;

...i think. Then it wont be destroyed anyway. But you will get hurt as long as the fire burns. Set the fire to 0.5 in JTD userconfig so it doesnt burn too long could be an idea also. And maybe im talking out of my ass and there IS a real solution to your problem. Not sure. :)

Thank you for the hints. I will try it this evening and report if I have solved the problem.

Very nice work guy. I have noticed a pause in the roaring sound and I think it has to do with a specific class of trees that are burning. When the fire reaches the tall trees which have no branches low to ground, the roar stops(I'm guessing).

Also, a request...Would it be possible to play the falling tree sound integrated in the BIS files everytime a tree falls from full damage?

Sorry, I truly don't mean to sound negative. This is already a great work.

can someone explain to me how i can turn the fire off in the config file ? i am VERY new to the world of arma and mods.

I love the smoke, but not such a fan of the fire.

if anyone could explain what to do in SIMPLETON terms that would be fantastic. cheers :cool:

i love what this mod does and have been playing with it on since my first few days in ArmA2. However, does this mod work with ACE2 or was it made obsolete by ACE2?

i love what this mod does and have been playing with it on since my first few days in ArmA2. However, does this mod work with ACE2 or was it made obsolete by ACE2?

It seems to work but I only used it for a little bit with ACE2. Make sure the modfolder is in the target line after ACE2's.

I have a problem when loading this mod. I’m starting the game with Arma2 launcher and the game screen comes up with this message: Include file userconfig\JTD\JTD_FireAndSmoke_config.hpp not found.

The mod is installed to the direction on the readme file, can anyone tell me where I am going wrong?

Well, presumably the JTD_FireAndSmoke_config.hpp file isn't in the \ArmA 2\userconfig\JTD\ directory?

I have a problem when loading this mod. I’m starting the game with Arma2 launcher and the game screen comes up with this message: Include file userconfig\JTD\JTD_FireAndSmoke_config.hpp not found.

The mod is installed to the direction on the readme file, can anyone tell me where I am going wrong?

From the d/l page:

Installation:

You treat the JTD_FireAndSmoke.pbo file just like any other addon file, you place it in the mod folder of your choice, in the addons subfolder. The JTD_FireAndSmoke_config.hpp file now must go into a new folder, ArmA2\userconfig\JTD\. If you do not have this path/folder, make one. This is apparently a standard of approach that modders will be encouraged to use.

It works now. I'm so used to putting a mod into an at @file and then AddOn.

It seems to work but I only used it for a little bit with ACE2. Make sure the modfolder is in the target line after ACE2's.

Sweet, just what I was hoping to hear ;)