BeerHunter

Make WALK the default forward movement speed

I think the biggest problem players tend to have with the AI is that the AI's "hearing" is so acute the players often tend to forget to walk and end up running everywhere , clanking , clanging and thumping down the cobblestone. May as well give them a boom box that keeps repeating over and over "I'm over here..I'm over here" ;).

Even if you go prone and crawl without remembering to put you character into "walk" you move much faster and presumably make more noise.

I think this is what leads to the misconception that the AI can see through buildings and around corners.

IRL you don't run unless you're under fire , need the exercise or the drill sergeant is having a bad day.:p so why did BIS make running the default forward movement like you find in almost every arcade FPS?

IRL you don't run unless you're under fire , need the exercise or the drill sergeant is having a bad day.:p so why did BIS make running the default forward movement like you find in almost every arcade FPS?

Because it takes too long to walk everywhere and i dont want to play a walking simulator? ;)

In VBS2 the default move mode is indeed walk :)

First thing I usually do in ArmA2 is double-tap the shift & make walk the default movement.

I think the biggest problem players tend to have with the AI is that the AI's "hearing" is so acute the players often tend to forget to walk and end up running everywhere , clanking , clanging and thumping down the cobblestone.

Since patch 1.03 hearing of the AI has realistic values. So there's no need to change that. Or better (and fit all ppls likings): make it optional!

Walking is what i always do, keeps your aiming steady and sit awareness up.

I agree, since the first thing I do in-game is double tap shift in order to make walk my default movement speed anyway!

I generally run by default, and hold shift to sprint. I've rearranged my keys and tweaked the majority of the movement speeds in the anim cfgs down quite a bit, so my run is really more of a light jog. Works well for me.

Plus we can always toggle over from run->sprint to walk->run at the tap of a key.

A toggle in the options to default to walking would be great though... then everyone happy. :)

Since patch 1.03 hearing of the AI has realistic values. So there's no need to change that. Or better (and fit all ppls likings): make it optional!

If you call that realistic hearing (to to youtube to watch in "HD")....

9KetKMxTYQQ

It doesn't matter what the default is, what matters is having the proper movements mode useful in the appropriate situations, and maps designed properly. Currently maps send you walking for kilometers, would would take more or less the entire game if you walk, and the stamina system simply does nothing to stop you from covering long distances with sprinting rather than walking - your stamina hits its minimum value fairly quickly anyway so how long you run has little significance for your recovery time (again, over long distances).

Edited by galzohar

I double tap my "UP" or "w" key to sprint

For walking i press "right shift"

I also prefer walking, better SA, and as you are less fatigued, you shots are more accurate.

In many FPS games I have played in the past, running was the default movement speed; however, there was usually an option to set walk as the default. Why add an option to set default movement speed in the GUI, allowing the player to set their personal preference.

Tom

I also prefer walking, better SA, and as you are less fatigued, you shots are more accurate.

In many FPS games I have played in the past, running was the default movement speed; however, there was usually an option to set walk as the default. Why add an option to set default movement speed in the GUI, allowing the player to set their personal preference.

Tom

I'm for an option too.

I like how it is now. But allow peeps to set their own default speeds. I don`t wanna be forced to use walk as my default just cause someone can`t get used to using the walk key. lol But if those peeps just HAVE to have their walk as a default... allow them to set walk as default.

I will keep my slow run as default. Gods peeps, movement to me ingame is as natural as it gets. I`ll stick with the slow run default. Thx.

I like how it is now. But allow peeps to set their own default speeds. I don`t wanna be forced to use walk as my default just cause someone can`t get used to using the walk key. lol But if those peeps just HAVE to have their walk as a default... allow them to set walk as default.

I will keep my slow run as default. Gods peeps, movement to me ingame is as natural as it gets. I`ll stick with the slow run default. Thx.

yep me too. That's why I move to cover, scan, move to cover, scan, etc. By doing this I very rarely get surprised by an enemy patrol. The only time I use walk is in towns

BI: Please make an option for default walk/run and first/third person!

there is a toggle walk/run control in the control options.

U can make walk your default key, i dont use default keys for movement, or other things, so change your key so that your defaulting on walk.

If you double tap shift, walk IS the default.. same with alt for head-movement, and many other things.

I think it's just a matter of preference. For me I always double-tap shift at the start of any mission, because conceptually I find it "natural" to hold shift in order to run. Then again, back when I played games like Quake I'd always turn off the "always run" option. Some people find it natural and intuitive to hold shift when they want to go slower, but I just find it completely backwards and really confusing when in the heat of battle.

there is a toggle walk/run control in the control options.

U can make walk your default key, i dont use default keys for movement, or other things, so change your key so that your defaulting on walk.

I hadn't played with it before, and it's 90% 70% of the way there. If you go to the infantry controls and bind "Move forward" to Shift+W (and delete W), and bind "Slow forward" to W, then just using W will make you go slow, and holding shift will make you jog. Double-tapping W will still make you sprint.

The only downsides is are that double-tapping shift to toggle default walk / default run no longer works, and that strafing is still at full speed. If you toggle it, both W and Shift+W will make you walk forward. I think I can live with that, but I do find it is useful to toggle it sometimes. I do like the current system, just that I get sick of having to double tap shift every single time I start a mission. And since the strafing doesn't have separate "slow" keybinds, you still need to do toggle it at the start of every mission. :(

Vehicle controls are separate so you don't mess them up by doing this.

As an aside: anyone know what the "Evasive Forward" command is meant to do? I tried it out a bit and it seems not fully implemented.

Edited by some kind of guy
Played a bit more and tried strafing

I don't find it natural to hold anything for sustained periods, so I just put my movement speed on a toggle instead of a "hold key". Then again over longer distances I even move forward with a toggle using the AutoHotkey program (mentioned in the auto walk thread). Also I try to minimize the amount of keys I have to double tap.

The game default key bindings do not even come close to properly utilizing your keyboard. Change it to a way that best suits you, and then go to the "stuff we can't change" thread to complain about the rest ;)

In VBS2 the default move mode is indeed walk :)

First thing I usually do in ArmA2 is double-tap the shift & make walk the default movement.

Me too, I am really bored that isn't a option for that available since I brought the game...=(

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

double tap right shift, then when you press w you'll walk, hold shift to run.

Yes MadCatChicken but every time you change player, die, respawn, restart a game, die and load saved game, etc, you have to press leftshift 2x again, and thats what is annoying for me...=D

I also double tap the shift. It feels more natural to hold a key to run since it takes more to do so in real life. Imagine if you had to strain yourself more to walk then run. There is no argument against this. It should be an option. There is no other FPS that has that control scheme. Give us the option and the debate is over. If not I don't care I'll still double tap that shift key and press enter because I love the third person view much better than the First POV. It just looks more appealing to me. Don't know why, I guess you can blame Socom for this.

If you call that realistic hearing (to to youtube to watch in "HD")....

Ok, you are right, I shouldn't have used "realistic" here. But you have to admit that it's better than get shot right after your left toe peaks around the corner.