R3fl3x

ArmA2 / OA (low) performance issues

all right, i got v1.62. so u suggest using SMAA instead of FXAA?

can SMAA substitute AToC or the AToC remains the only technique for applying AA on foliage? i have 50+fps on the Takistan map (1080p,Textures-VH,AF-VH,AA-Low,PP-Normal,HDR-Normal,Shadows-High,Object/Terrain details-Normal) but i have a big drop in Chernarus where the fps vary from 25-40. so i'm looking into the best AA combination for Chernarus and other vegetation filled maps.

Edited by Spotter

Alright, so I need some help, badly.

I've got:

AMD Phenom ii x6 1045t 2.6ghz

8 gigs of 1600mhz DDR3

XFX HD Radeon 6870 Double D edition

Win7 64 bit

1tb 7200rpm HDD

So, with those specs, I should be able to run this game just fine. After all, I can max out BF3, Just Cause 2, and others with still getting 40+ fps.

I've chatted with a few people in-game with lesser cards, that still run the game WAY better than I do. Depending on the mission, I will get from 12-25 fps. In some DayZ servers, I MIGHT get up to 50 in the wilderness. On things like Takistan Life, I get usually 10-20 no matter where I am.

My settings are all pretty much maxed, except for object/terrain detail, and HDR. I have my video memory set to default as well, and PP is turned off. My 3d res. is the same as my monitor (1650X1050) etc.

I have read what feels like every dang article on the subject, but I can't seem to get a straight answer on how to up this. I know Arma 2 has performance issues...but really? 10-20 fps is standard for a game this old? Even if I turn down most specs, it still seems to be pretty iffy.

Before I got the 6870, I had a GTS 450 that seemed to run it pretty great on lower settings. I'd get like 20-30 in towns, and 60-100 in the wilderness.

So, I do NOT have Catalyst Control Center. I apparently can only use Vision Engine Control Center since I have an AMD cpu+gpu.

Can anyone help me?? I love this game so much, but 10fps is damn near impossible to play with.

Alright, so I need some help, badly.

I've got:

AMD Phenom ii x6 1045t 2.6ghz

8 gigs of 1600mhz DDR3

XFX HD Radeon 6870 Double D edition

Win7 64 bit

1tb 7200rpm HDD

So, with those specs, I should be able to run this game just fine. After all, I can max out BF3, Just Cause 2, and others with still getting 40+ fps.

I've chatted with a few people in-game with lesser cards, that still run the game WAY better than I do. Depending on the mission, I will get from 12-25 fps. In some DayZ servers, I MIGHT get up to 50 in the wilderness. On things like Takistan Life, I get usually 10-20 no matter where I am.

My settings are all pretty much maxed, except for object/terrain detail, and HDR. I have my video memory set to default as well, and PP is turned off. My 3d res. is the same as my monitor (1650X1050) etc.

I have read what feels like every dang article on the subject, but I can't seem to get a straight answer on how to up this. I know Arma 2 has performance issues...but really? 10-20 fps is standard for a game this old? Even if I turn down most specs, it still seems to be pretty iffy.

Before I got the 6870, I had a GTS 450 that seemed to run it pretty great on lower settings. I'd get like 20-30 in towns, and 60-100 in the wilderness.

So, I do NOT have Catalyst Control Center. I apparently can only use Vision Engine Control Center since I have an AMD cpu+gpu.

Can anyone help me?? I love this game so much, but 10fps is damn near impossible to play with.

So yes your pc should run this game very well, also your graphics card should have no problem providing great graphics. That’s sorted, so why aren’t you getting that at a reasonable frame rate.:(

Well for everyone to give a view, it would be better if you tell us what game patch and or beta your at i.e. 1.60, 1.62.

Then your exact in-game settings, screenshot of those would be good.;)

If you can give those details I think you may get some views on how to move forward..:)

So yes your pc should run this game very well, also your graphics card should have no problem providing great graphics. That’s sorted, so why aren’t you getting that at a reasonable frame rate.:(

Well for everyone to give a view, it would be better if you tell us what game patch and or beta your at i.e. 1.60, 1.62.

Then your exact in-game settings, screenshot of those would be good.;)

If you can give those details I think you may get some views on how to move forward..:)

No problem. I am up to date with everything except for having 1.7.2.6. I am on 2.5. The only reason I haven't upgraded is that the takistan servers I have been on, are stil 1.7.2.5.

I am on beta patch 96584, and 1.62.

I recently even formatted my HDD and started over. I just did this about 4 days ago, so nothing is fragmented or anything. I even tried defragging the game via Steam, and verifying the cache and I still get these awful frame rates.

Here is a screenshot of my video settings: CPeVY.jpg

I turned down object/terrain settings because I read that it should help, but frankly, it didn't increase/decrease my framerate at all. In fact, almost none of my visual settings did. Even changing it to a lower resolution doesn't seem to really help.

As for my drivers for the 6870, I am on Catalyst Version 12.8 which appears to be the latest.

Hope this information is sufficient to get a solid answer! Thank you.

No problem. I am up to date with everything except for having 1.7.2.6. I am on 2.5. The only reason I haven't upgraded is that the takistan servers I have been on, are stil 1.7.2.5.

I am on beta patch 96584, and 1.62.

I recently even formatted my HDD and started over. I just did this about 4 days ago, so nothing is fragmented or anything. I even tried defragging the game via Steam, and verifying the cache and I still get these awful frame rates.

Here is a screenshot of my video settings: http://i.imgur.com/CPeVY.jpg

I turned down object/terrain settings because I read that it should help, but frankly, it didn't increase/decrease my framerate at all. In fact, almost none of my visual settings did. Even changing it to a lower resolution doesn't seem to really help.

As for my drivers for the 6870, I am on Catalyst Version 12.8 which appears to be the latest.

Hope this information is sufficient to get a solid answer! Thank you.

If I were you I'd increase Terrain detail to Normal, as well as Objects Detail.

Then I'd decrease your PPAA to None and Increase your Post-proc to Very Low.

That should get the game looking good all while increasing your framerates.

If that isn't sufficient, then try some of these tried and tested tweaks:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?85124-ArmA2-OA-%28low%29-performance-issues&p=2081466#post2081466

Failing all of that, I'd overclock your CPU as 2.6 GHz is somewhat on the slow side for OA.

If I were you I'd increase Terrain detail to Normal, as well as Objects Detail.

Then I'd decrease your PPAA to None and Increase your Post-proc to Very Low.

That should get the game looking good all while increasing your framerates.

If that isn't sufficient, then try some of these tried and tested tweaks:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?85124-ArmA2-OA-%28low%29-performance-issues&p=2081466#post2081466

Failing all of that, I'd overclock your CPU as 2.6 GHz is somewhat on the slow side for OA.

So, increasing my settings would actually boost my fps? Isn't it the opposite?? I'll give it a try, but that seems backwards XD

My settings.

You can see I am playing in window mode, but the same settings would apply to full screen (I play at 1920x1080), its just that I am making a mission at the mo and its easier in window mode to flick back and forth.

Yes, that is vid mem at very high, it gives me 5-6fps more than default, not the norm but there you go.

I do alter settings sometimes, depending on terrain, plus ongoing tweaking if required.

Also get a decent fps counter, I use this, it does not drop any like msi does occasionally..

Also, I agree with '@domokun' try overclocking using 'amd overdrive' pretty easy, does it for you really.. 3.0 would be good, don't be tempted to go too high, doesn't always work out. 3.4 max maybe..

Edit: forgot, ignore the view distance, I use 'IVD' its great for on the fly alterations..

My settings.

You can see I am playing in window mode, but the same settings would apply to full screen (I play at 1920x1080), its just that I am making a mission at the mo and its easier in window mode to flick back and forth.

Yes, that is vid mem at very high, it gives me 5-6fps more than default, not the norm but there you go.

I do alter settings sometimes, depending on terrain, plus ongoing tweaking if required.

Also get a decent fps counter, I use this, it does not drop any like msi does occasionally..

Also, I agree with '@domokun' try overclocking using 'amd overdrive' pretty easy, does it for you really.. 3.0 would be good, don't be tempted to go too high, doesn't always work out. 3.4 max maybe..

Edit: forgot, ignore the view distance, I use 'IVD' its great for on the fly alterations..

Unfortunately, there is pretty much no room on my current mobo for OC'ing my CPU. I would like to, but this motherboard is not so great for it (Asus m4n686-m v2)

I'm definitely going to try windowed mode though. I never really thought of that, but it would probably help a lot.

Edit:

I just tried something and got some odd results. I went into a dom server with nobody else online. I was getting like 30-40 fps depending on my location. So, I got into an SUV and just sat there and watched my fps. It hovered around 30-34 if I didn't move my view. So, in doing this, I went into video settings and tried fiddling with EVERYTHING. I changed all options that I could. The only one that made any sort of noticeable difference, was turning object detail to very low. That boosted my fps to about 40. The rest? They didn't affect a single thing, other than how it actually looked. I turned all options to low, and even lowered my resolution to several options and it STILL stayed at 30ish. Then, brought it back up to max settings, still 30ish.

So, it appears as though, nothing matters in this game. It wouldn't matter if I was playing on a 480p res with everything superlow, I'd still get the same FPS. What the heck man?!

Edited by FrankieBeans

Check your Vid settings in the Editor. Using a Dom or some other MP mission/mod can be problematic. They may have restrictions on VD and Grass etc. But usually if you have no changes in the editor for your vidcard settings, you are bottle-necked. In my case i can get many different FPS amounts with many different settings.

Its right that some things in the setup menu don’t make much of a difference, however, ‘Object Detail’, ‘AA’ & ‘AToc’ make quite a difference on mine, 12 maybe 15+ frames when all mentioned prior are altered together. Shadows also, from high to very high, make a noticeable difference on mine 3-4fps, going lower on the shadows however makes little difference frame rate wise.

The others, I agree, don’t make that much difference, sometimes higher is better, that’s the problem, its just testing and tweaking with the settings in arma.

It is getting harder to increase fps via the game settings now, however believe it or not the recent patches/beta's have made the game faster, well in my experience they have.

Windowed mode doesn’t give me any difference in frame rates, its basically the same either way, windowed or full screen..

What map are you playing on at the mo, there are a couple of mod,s but if your mp they may not be allowed, one is 'Landtex' the other is 'sap clutter', however Chernarus gets the best deal from these, also 'sum rep' can help on islands like Chernarus as it replaces the clutter with a summer version thats a little less on the heavy side.

The problem with mp is going along with the mods they allow.

What fps do you get in SP ?

Also maybe SSD route, running arma from that, don't know how your system is set-up would that be an option? there are a couple of threads on here talking and discussing how etc. Plus setting up a RamDisk, threads on here for that too. Now this stuff is over my head:butbut:, but maybe something you could look at..

Edited by ChrisB

Its right that some things in the setup menu don’t make much of a difference, however, ‘Object Detail’, ‘AA’ & ‘AToc’ make quite a difference on mine, 12 maybe 15+ frames when all mentioned prior are altered together. Shadows also, from high to very high, make a noticeable difference on mine 3-4fps, going lower on the shadows however makes little difference frame rate wise.

The others, I agree, don’t make that much difference, sometimes higher is better, that’s the problem, its just testing and tweaking with the settings in arma.

It is getting harder to increase fps via the game settings now, however believe it or not the recent patches/beta's have made the game faster, well in my experience they have.

Windowed mode doesn’t give me any difference in frame rates, its basically the same either way, windowed or full screen..

What map are you playing on at the mo, there are a couple of mod,s but if your mp they may not be allowed, one is 'Landtex' the other is 'sap clutter', however Chernarus gets the best deal from these, also 'sum rep' can help on islands like Chernarus as it replaces the cutter with a summer version thats a little less on the heavy side.

The problem with mp is going along with the mods they allow.

What fps do you get in SP ?

Also maybe SSD route, running arma from that, don't know how your system is set-up would that be an option? there are a couple of threads on here talking and discussing how etc. Plus setting up a RamDisk, threads on here for that too. Now this stuff is over my head:butbut:, but maybe something you could look at..

In the campaign, I get 30-40fps, but online it's 10-30 depending on map and whatnot. In Chernarus, I get around 25, in Lingor I actually usually get 30ish, in Takistan I get 15ish. that's where it is actually the lowest.

I have a COMPAQ Pesario CQ61 laptop. I have ARMA 2 CO but its super laggy, what can i do

I have a COMPAQ Pesario CQ61 laptop. I have ARMA 2 CO but its super laggy, what can i do

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us〈=en&docname=c01888944&product=4041378

Microprocessor 2.00 GHz AMD Athlon II Dual-Core Processor for Notebook PCs M300

Microprocessor Cache 1MB L2 Cache

Memory 3072MB

Video Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4200 Graphics

Display 15.6" Diagonal High Definition HP BrightView Display (1366x768)

Get a proper laptop. :) Intel Ivy Bridge 3610QM/3720QM + Nvidia's Kepler GT650M/GTX660M/GTX680M.

Hi all!

I was open this thread in another section....but whitout answers.....i hope that here somebody can help me because i have reinstall also OS (Format) but....unsuccessfully!:k:

I get ArmA 2 + ArmA 2 OA update to 1.62.

I have update my PC for better performance whit a new CPU.

From..cpu PHENOM x2 955 to CPU PHENOM X4 965.

My SYSTEM:

OS Windows Seven 64 Ultimate

CPU Phenom X4 965 BE....OC 3.900Ghz...Temp.idle 30 C°---full 50C°.

Motherboard Sapphire am2+ RX790 Discrete Crossfire

2 HDD Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80 GB. in Raid 0

Nvidia GTX 560 Ti temp. full 62°

RAM DDR2 corsair XMS2 cl5 4 Gb.

PSU GS 700W Corsair.

Before upgrading the CPU was fine ArmA 2 --- 49 FPS average benchmark ... no issue ... setting high ... perfect smooth mouse.

and....after ?

Average 60 fps in benchmark in high-very high setting(yes...i was happy in that moment :D)

I was ready for testing gaming in Map-Desert Editor and.......sorprise! It's become unplayable for a strong acceleration device in input mouse + laggy......like a false refresh native. (60Hz)

I feel like when you get a DPI mouse too High (like 5000 or more....but it's setting to 400 DPI ) but in option menu game the cursor mouse moves it very very slowly + laggy.

I've read so many thread for fix it,like:

Enable 1000mhz on the mouse....and or change the DPI.

Disable mouse set point accelaration in OS---unistall the mouse driver setpoint 6.32(I get a Logitech G700 mouse).

Test whit another 3 different mouse for comparation.

Fix Mark seven reg. about hardware acc. mouse

Mousesmoothing=0.....***It's impossible--------huge delay input ...must to be force on 100.

Disable V-sinc off ---( also if before was run in ON + Triple buffer whitout problems). ***This is has been the only way for givme just a little bit more response control mouse...but so far to be like before and whit a terrific tearing view.

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1 or 0;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=0;and also in nvidia pannel

Run ArmA 2 just whit 1 core..2 core.......

Delete files arma 2.cfg + profile .cfg and reload a new one.

Upgrade bios motherboard.

Check about disable HTT in bios but.......i dont get that option.

Check background process.

Change the monitor resolution.

Change the refresh or use nvidia inspector for cap about 58 hz,,,,,my monitor run to 60.

Driver nvidia 196.10....***the best for low input lag mouse...test whit 306.23 and back again to the old one.

Check how run my cpu in task manger.

Add the string.......cpu-4 ...etx...etx in .exe launcher.

and so on.............nothing...nada...forget it about,i am always to the same point.......impossible play for too much input mouse acceleration.....etx..etx

Now Plz.....tell me something news that i didnt done yet....

THX in advance and Regards!

Edited by Enrico

Hi I have a quick question. I bought this game 2 years back and spent countless hours trying to get the performance to an acceptable level but ultimately failed. I gave up on it hoping a patch would come around to fix the issues. (My hardware was and still is medium to high end)

So the question is, has there been some incredible patch that fixed the low framerate issue so that I should try install again?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us〈=en&docname=c01888944&product=4041378

Get a proper laptop. :) Intel Ivy Bridge 3610QM/3720QM + Nvidia's Kepler GT650M/GTX660M/GTX680M.

Is there anything i can do to my current laptop?

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 13:39 ----------

Is there anything i can do to my current laptop

§5) No Spam

We deem spam as making a thread or posting a reply that has no real worth, is irrelevant, useless and offers nothing to a discussion. Messages of banned members are also considered as spam. If your post/thread is not able to illicit or sustain an in depth conversation then it's spam. This also applies to other areas of the forums such as leaving visitor messages on people's profiles. Spam may be dealt with by post count reduction, PR and/or WL.

Doubleposting is also considered spam. Please refrain from doing so.

What you can do with your Laptop: browse the interweb (maybe the ArmA 2 website which has minimum system requirements published), write letters and such, but not playing ArmA 2 with decent settings.

Only replace it, I'm afraid. That machine is way below the required specs for this game.

I want to post the specs for my computer so i can find out if it will be ok for arma2. What information should i provide?

No i have another computer, i want to see if my other one is ok

Well then: CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD, DVD drive, Motherboard, OS

Myke;2228095']Well then: CPU' date=' GPU, RAM, HDD, DVD drive, Motherboard, OS[/quote']

Cool, thanks

•Intel® Core™ i3-2120 3.3GHz 3MB Cache Processor

•6GB DDR3 1600 Installed Memory, Expandable to 8GB

•1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

•Super Multi DVD Burner Optical Drive

•Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium