R3fl3x

ArmA2 / OA (low) performance issues

I keep hearing people talking about getting 60+ FPS in Chernogorsk with 4.8 GHz Sandy Bridge CPUs....maybe I need to upgrade? :butbut:

I keep hearing people talking about getting 60+ FPS in Chernogorsk with 4.8 GHz Sandy Bridge CPUs....maybe I need to upgrade? :butbut:

for 4.8 OC SB/iB CPU you need:

1. lucky CPU exemplar.

2. CPU cooler, that cost 1/2-1/3 of CPU price. like TR Archon[also TR SA 140 wasn't bad too], Scythe Mine2, CM TP812, Zalman CNPS14X and etc.

3. decent mainboard with good power-system and well-made firmware/BIOS.

4. decent PC case for good space for components and suitable for high airflow, essential for it, ie installing about 4-6 120mm/140mm/200mm fans into it and PSU slot below w/hole.

5. forget about silence. reliable [above average]overclocking WITHOUT sacrificing long-term reliability wasn't fit with acoustic comfort, regardless investments/budget. otherwise, both CPU/Mobo/RAM/GPU/Storage/PSU will suffer badly over [surprisingly closer. than expected]time.

so, my advice is sticking with 4.2/4.4 attempts on iNtel.

no [nasty]overvoltage, no side-issues and nearly as quick as 4.8.

Edited by BasileyOne

4.8 is a easy setting. But to get 60fps in Cherno you need to have allot of settings lowered and a low Rez (1280/1024). Thats to stay at 60fps with Vsync. Not going to talk about the VD(2k or less)

Hey guys, checking back in. I got OA/DayZ to a playable level finally! After a few BSOD while testing the overclocking stability, I settled with just bumping my clock speed up from 2.3 to 2.6 and I was able to get those ~25 frames I was looking for(granted, everything is still on low/verylow). Running on a stock heatsink and fan, the temp never went over 65c. Not the best temp, but for not spending any money and able to play the game I'm satisfied. Worst case is that everything burns out and I have to buy new hardware which is in the cards anyways :P.

I'll leave my final specs here incase someone comes along looking for a similar solution:

AMDphenom 9600 Quadcore (Overclocked to 2.6ghz)

4GB DDR2 RAM

Nvidia 550Ti 1gb graphics card

And a lot of the various tweaks and fixes found here:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-2565.html

Thanks again for the help

4.8 is a easy setting. But to get 60fps in Cherno you need to have allot of settings lowered and a low Rez (1280/1024). Thats to stay at 60fps with Vsync. Not going to talk about the VD(2k or less)

They claim more or less max settings at 1920x1080... :rolleyes:

I am skeptical.

---------- Post added at 15:56 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

And a lot of the various tweaks and fixes found here:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-2565.html

I didn't read that entire post, but this:

Anti Aliasing: Increases resolution around edges so you get less jaggedness. Note the AToC notes above: If disabled, trees will not be affected (But AToC is enabled by default).

Low = 2x MSAA

Medium = 4x MSAA

High = 8x MSAA

Very High = 16x MSAA

Is totally false. Very High is NOT 16x MSAA. It's more like 4x MSAA. Because you can also go above Very High from 5 to 8, so what exactly are those? 128x MSAA? :rolleyes:

Right VH AA is 4X. And for Nvidia, they use different combos of "Q" and MSAA by default.

- Low and middle = 2x MSAA

- High and very high = 4x MSAA

- 5 = 8x MSAA 4x + CSAA (8x called in Nvidia drivers)

- 6 = 8x MSAA (called 8xQ in Nvidia drivers)--------------------------ATI is 6X

- 7 = 4x + CSAA 16x MSAA (called 16x in Nvidia drivers)

- 8 = 8x MSAA + 16x CSAA (called 16xQ in Nvidia drivers)---------ATI is 8X

Edited by kklownboy

I've been having this problem that I really hope someone here can help me with. When I run operation arrowhead (for dayz) and play I get game freezes and stutters. Sometimes they last for 1 second, sometimes they last for 20 seconds and the screen becomes grayed out and I get the hourglass. I'm not sure what the problem is, my computer can definitely handle this game.

My CPU is an i7 950 and I have a gtx 560ti. I had read that my freezing could have been caused by hyperthreading, but I disabled it and nothing changed (then I also found out that problem had already been solved with an older patch.) So i'm at a loss.

I've set the video options as low as they go and I still get it, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I've made sure that there were no background applications running that could possibly be slowing me down.

Is anyone else having this problem?

EDIT: Also, I'm running the newest arma 2 build 95417. It was occurring on a previous version as well.

Edited by shmallow

The stuttering or sudden drop in framerate is due to the game loading new textures. There's no easy way to fix this, check to see if your swap file is big enough (i.e. not full). Otherwise you could look into making a RAMdisk (search the general forum or just google - it's a big thread) or taking the SSD plunge.

Edit: If you have two physical HDD (not partitions) make sure the swapfile isn't on the same HDD as Arma. Google it if you don't know how.

The 20 second freeze with the hourglass I will assume is the game if it's the big green hourglass. That happens when you're unconscious usually due to low blood (<3000).

Edited by Rekrul

SSD removed those stutters entirely for me. Highly recommend that option.

AMDphenom 9600 Quadcore (Overclocked to 2.6ghz)

4GB DDR2 RAM

Nvidia 550Ti 1gb graphics card

I have the same graphics card but with following hardware: 8 GB DDR3 ram, AMD FX 8120 @ 3.5ghz

I am able to get 40-70fps on default settings. Your Cpu is the problem would be my bet.

The stuttering or sudden drop in framerate is due to the game loading new textures. There's no easy way to fix this, check to see if your swap file is big enough (i.e. not full). Otherwise you could look into making a RAMdisk (search the general forum or just google - it's a big thread) or taking the SSD plunge.

Edit: If you have two physical HDD (not partitions) make sure the swapfile isn't on the same HDD as Arma. Google it if you don't know how.

The 20 second freeze with the hourglass I will assume is the game if it's the big green hourglass. That happens when you're unconscious usually due to low blood (<3000).

My swap file is full, but it isn't on the same hard drive as ARMA. I do have a SSD already, would it solve all my problems if I moved my arma over to my SSD?

I didn't mean the hourglass in game (in fact windows doesn't use the hourglass anymore so I probably shouldn't of said that.) The game freezes and the window becomes not responding for about 10-20 seconds, then it goes back to normal.

Hourglass-related artefacts:

Try turn off SuperFetch, temporally[in registry] in "EnableSuperfetch" key, set to "0".

Also in case of AMD FX CPU's [similar issues/specific expected for iNtel Haswell aswell] to turn off built-in prefertcher too,

Because built-in[into CPU]VERY aggressive prefetcher seriously interefere with system prefetcher, so try "EnablePrefetcher" set to "0" or "2".

Corresponding fix applied to recent Linux kernels and expected to be added by Microsoft too.

My swap file is full, but it isn't on the same hard drive as ARMA. I do have a SSD already, would it solve all my problems if I moved my arma over to my SSD?

I didn't mean the hourglass in game (in fact windows doesn't use the hourglass anymore so I probably shouldn't of said that.) The game freezes and the window becomes not responding for about 10-20 seconds, then it goes back to normal.

You could just expand the swap-disk first (again google, I don't remember the step-by-step guide but it's a setting in windows). If you're still bothered by stutter/drop in FPS you need to move Arma to SSD. This isn't a simple copy/move command though. You need to uninstall first, then reinstall on the SSD. Make sure you have enough space.

You could just expand the swap-disk first (again google, I don't remember the step-by-step guide but it's a setting in windows). If you're still bothered by stutter/drop in FPS you need to move Arma to SSD. This isn't a simple copy/move command though. You need to uninstall first, then reinstall on the SSD. Make sure you have enough space.

why ?

just dump/copy Arma2/A2Co installation folder to SSD/RamDisk, edit registry path to new location and you're ready 2 go !

Even easier, if you are using Windows Vista/7 you can use junction hardlinks.

Additionally easier, if you are using the Steam version of ArmA 2/OA, use Steam Mover.

Yeah, moved it to my SSD and it didn't fix it, so I moved my swapfile to a unused disk and made it much bigger. I'm not getting practically any stutters now. I used steam mover to move ARMA, for some reason just copy+pasting wasn't keeping newer beta patches.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Yeah, moved it to my SSD and it didn't fix it, so I moved my swapfile to a unused disk and made it much bigger. I'm not getting practically any stutters now. I used steam mover to move ARMA, for some reason just copy+pasting wasn't keeping newer beta patches.

That's interesting. Maybe I should just get a spare disk to put the swapfile on rather than a SSD then :confused:

That's interesting. Maybe I should just get a spare disk to put the swapfile on rather than a SSD then :confused:

Well I put the swapfile on an SSD. I had an SSD that I couldn't use because I didn't have a spare sata cable, so I just recently bought them so I could put ARMA on it. Right now I have ARMA and the swap file on it.

Well I put the swapfile on an SSD. I had an SSD that I couldn't use because I didn't have a spare sata cable, so I just recently bought them so I could put ARMA on it. Right now I have ARMA and the swap file on it.

Oh OK, 'cos you said you put the swapfile on a unused disk which obviously wasn't really accurate. I thought it wasn't recommended to put the swapfile on a SSD because of the constant writing though?

Hi, I have recently bought ARMA 2 OA. After installing the game I opened it and headed to single-player. Although one problem, it is as laggy as fuck. I know my graphics card is a piece of shit (NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS) but I heard you can maximise FPS. Can anyone please suggest something like that to help me boost my fps performance. Oh and I was using the lowest visual settings there is. Thanks for the help :D

Hi everyone.

I have a really big problem with perfomance. I have:

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 Overclocked @3.0Ghz

3GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM

AMD Radeon HD 5670 @850/1050

Windows 7 64bit

Catalyst 11.6

STEAM Version of Operation Arrowhead and ARMA 2, and Private Military Company. Latest update of course for all.

And i can't get above 20-21 FPS in MP Operation Arrowhead or Combined Operations. In SP i have about 40-50 FPS on Normal settings, but in MP i set all settings to the lowest, resolution 800x600, View Distance 500m, Post Processing, Anti Alliasing Off... And i have 20 FPS. My GPU Load when i play MP is about 10%. CPU Load is nearly 100%.

Please help. I'm so mad. I can't play MP because of this. I really want to play this great game in MP with friends.

Both your CPU and GPU are not particularly fast for this game. You may want to consider upgrading.

Also, your Catalyst drivers are about a year out of date. Current version is 12.6 with a 12.7 beta release as well.

Though at those settings it should run fine in MP. Are you playing on a variety of servers or one that you/your friend is hosting? What missions are you running? Keep in mind that if you host on your own machine you are running all of the AI and scripts yourself.

Thanks for respond.

Yes, i have only problems on dedicateds server. My friend tried to start local server and we played missions without problems (40+ FPS). On dedicated servers (Dominaton mod) i get only 20 FPS or lower.

I will update drivers, thanks.

Edited by RankoKukumar
grammar