R3fl3x

ArmA2 / OA (low) performance issues

Hi,

I got similar problems described by some but have not found a solution.

FPS is steady at 24-29 (chernarus) but system is far away from utilizing all resources. CPU usage stands at 40-55%, none of the cores rarely exceed 75% usage. GPU usage is at 40-60% on average.

Visibility at 2000. With 10km visibility framerate goes to 15, at 500m to 35. Little gain there. Settings at fairly high but lowering to ugliest possible, resolutions and all, fps is not affected. As if I was CPU limited and I would be happy accept that if CPU usage was even close to full on even one core! :confused:

I used playclaw to record gpu/cpu usage and task manger to analyze each core. Arma 2 runs on each core but like I said above, none of the cores is working at full.

What could be the problem? Help highly appreciated.

i5 760 @ 3,0ghz

HD 5870

4gb Kingston HyperX CL7

Win 7 x64

Arma 2 1.08 (steam)

The only reason I joined the forum is because I wanted to reassure those who are frustrated!

There is hope for this game because it is so much fun when there is no lag! I have had this game on a few different rigs (home built) and they never lagged until now.

My New Rig:

Asrock Fatality Mobo

Intel I5 2500K Overclocked @ 5.1GHZ

Ram: 16GB 7-7-7-20 @ 2100MHZ Corshair Dominators

(2) Intel X-25 SSD Stripe 0 Raid

(2) Raptor Drives Stripe 0 Raid

1200 Watt Corsair PSU

(2) Crossfired 6970 ATI Cards

(3) 24" VH242H Monitors

Blue Ray Burner

And a $1000 dollar custom water cooled case made from Dangerden.com with a tripple GPU loop, single CPU, 3 Radiators, 2 pumps, 2 resevoirs

Many many more mods...

Long Story Short:

I also get plenty of lag, it's playable, but when I want to shoot any AI, they move around in spurts of movements. Making it really really difficult to shoot them.

I max out all the games I play: L4D1-2 Empire: Total War, & Dirt 2

Perhaps a driver issue? Cos with that beast of machine you should be running this game with everything full without a problem imo :-/

I would recommend using Everest to log everything and later check logs if you find some weird component usage/temps whatnot. Also use the www.playclaw.com to monitor cpu/gpu usage in real-time if there is something kinky going on...

that might be the prob, is it still there when you disable crossfire?

@ pluke the 2

Try different video memory settings in video options.

weird thing, but ...

suddenly boosted "3D Resolution" from default "100%" to "200%" and got...increased performance :-/

avg GPU utilisation spike from 35% to 60%, [4x]CPU utilization keep almost untouched[about ~7% drop from ~80%], avg FPS was same, but minimal FPS become almost tripled ! :P

i.e. game perform smoother :)

1600x1200 everything on "Very High", except "postprocessing"[Off], "Anti-ALiasing"[Off]. viewdistance was 24xxm.

4x CPU&ATi 5850.

p.s.

now toned down almost anything to "High"[due heavier mission online], but impact from that option, remain SAME.

Edited by BasileyOne

The only reason I joined the forum is because I wanted to reassure those who are frustrated!

There is hope for this game because it is so much fun when there is no lag! I have had this game on a few different rigs (home built) and they never lagged until now.

My New Rig:

Asrock Fatality Mobo

Intel I5 2500K Overclocked @ 5.1GHZ

Ram: 16GB 7-7-7-20 @ 2100MHZ Corshair Dominators

(2) Intel X-25 SSD Stripe 0 Raid

(2) Raptor Drives Stripe 0 Raid

1200 Watt Corsair PSU

(3) 24" VH242H Monitors

Blue Ray Burner

And a $1000 dollar custom water cooled case made from Dangerden.com with a tripple GPU loop, single CPU, 3 Radiators, 2 pumps, 2 resevoirs

Many many more mods...

Long Story Short:

I also get plenty of lag, it's playable, but when I want to shoot any AI, they move around in spurts of movements. Making it really really difficult to shoot them.

I max out all the games I play: L4D1-2 Empire: Total War, & Dirt 2

If you were multiplayer at the time then it is just the netcode rearing it's ugly head. Makes using bolt actions a game in itself.

If you were multiplayer at the time then it is just the netcode rearing it's ugly head. Makes using bolt actions a game in itself.

Not nesessarily. I had a simliar problem and it was windows 7 causing the issue.

See this thread.

Hope it fixes your issue, assuming you run Windows7?

sometimes limiting number of pre-rendering frams will help with UI response in both SP and MP.

and talking about ATi GFX/GPU's 1st thing i always do[except on multi-GPU cards or CF setup]is turn "CatalystAI" OFF. its costs few extra FPS and improve gameplay stability alot[&resolve number of weird issues in number of games].

Hi guys,

My Arma 2 OA is not runnig too well lately.

When I get ingame the textures are good for a few seconds and then go to very low res, almost like the BAF lite units.

Atm I think it's unplayable as I think textures are a very important part of my gaming experience.

My settings are everything on very hig, except shadows, aa and post processing with 100% fill rate. But I have experimented with all sorts of settings and nothing seems to fix it. Including the last patch.

So does anybody have any tips to fix this?

My specs:

Intel Dual Core CPU E8600 3,4GHz

8 GB DDR3 RAM

Ati HD4890 1GB

Windows 7 64-Bit

And another question.

Right now I can't play with 200% fill rate and 10000 vd.

What should I update to be able to do that? Faster graphics card?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi guys,

My Arma 2 OA is not runnig too well lately.

When I get ingame the textures are good for a few seconds and then go to very low res, almost like the BAF lite units.

Atm I think it's unplayable as I think textures are a very important part of my gaming experience.

My settings are everything on very hig, except shadows, aa and post processing with 100% fill rate. But I have experimented with all sorts of settings and nothing seems to fix it. Including the last patch.

So does anybody have any tips to fix this?

My specs:

Intel Dual Core CPU E8600 3,4GHz

8 GB DDR3 RAM

Ati HD4890 1GB

Windows 7 64-Bit

And another question.

Right now I can't play with 200% fill rate and 10000 vd.

What should I update to be able to do that? Faster graphics card?

Thanks in advance :)

IMO, in recent PC's configurations[exept guys with "nearly intergated"/notebook GPU's], most limiting factor is CPU speed and GPU onboard memory.

so in you case i suggest consider switching to multi-core CPU or do moderate overclocking[if you can't afford that].

IMO, in recent PC's configurations[exept guys with "nearly intergated"/notebook GPU's], most limiting factor is CPU speed and GPU onboard memory.

so in you case i suggest consider switching to multi-core CPU or do moderate overclocking[if you can't afford that].

The first part is good advice but the second is somewhat flawed since a an E8600 is a dual core CPU. Unless "mult-core" means "quad" ?

Seriously I have almost identical system (E8400 overclocked to 4 GHz + 4GB DDR3 + 4890) and everything runs pretty well.

Here are my tips:

1. Forget about 200% fill rate and 10000 vd (currently impossible at smooth framerates

2. Overclock your E8600 (should be able to reach 4.0 GHz without too much sweat)

3. Download the latest beta patch (currently 79600 and very stable)

4. Tweak your Video Settings:

View Distance: 2000m

Fill rate : 100%

Texture : High

Vid Mem: Default

Anisotropic : High

Antialiasing : Disabled

Terrain : Normal

Objects : Normal

Shadow : High

Post-Proc : Low <= but use Oktane's mod to remove nauseau-inducing and performance-sapping Blurro-vision

5. Disable AToC (open your ArmA2OA.cfg and change "AToC=7;" to "AToC=0)

Together the above enable me to run A2 and OA in 1920x1200 @ 30-50 fps.

To be honest I'd like to enable AA and increase the VD slightly but that'll have to wait until I have enough cash for an i5-2500k and a GTX-560 Ti...

The first part is good advice but the second is somewhat flawed since a an E8600 is a dual core CPU. Unless "mult-core" means "quad" ?

Seriously I have almost identical system (E8400 overclocked to 4 GHz + 4GB DDR3 + 4890) and everything runs pretty well.

Here are my tips:

1. Forget about 200% fill rate and 10000 vd (currently impossible at smooth framerates

2. Overclock your E8600 (should be able to reach 4.0 GHz without too much sweat)

3. Download the latest beta patch (currently 79600 and very stable)

4. Tweak your Video Settings:

View Distance: 2000m

Fill rate : 100%

Texture : High

Vid Mem: Default

Anisotropic : High

Antialiasing : Disabled

Terrain : Normal

Objects : Normal

Shadow : High

Post-Proc : Low <= but use Oktane's mod to remove nauseau-inducing and performance-sapping Blurro-vision

5. Disable AToC (open your ArmA2OA.cfg and change "AToC=7;" to "AToC=0)

Together the above enable me to run A2 and OA in 1920x1200 @ 30-50 fps.

To be honest I'd like to enable AA and increase the VD slightly but that'll have to wait until I have enough cash for an i5-2500k and a GTX-560 Ti...

yeah, "multi" mean "four and above".

after 1.05 with each parth Arma2 engine show noticeably better multicores saturation and [what more important]benefited from it. tnx to sprocket investmend in patches development.

sure. with good cooler [CM H620 R600 or Zalman CPNPS10x &etc]and proper airflow in Case, this CPU can be seriously OC'ed.

but thats last resort/hope, cuz still isn't safe[somewhat].

I have an

Intel i7 2.93 Ghz

8 gigs DDR3

dual Nvidia GTS 250's

Windows 7 home 64-bit

If lucky I can get up to 43 fps and it runs nice

but most of the time its really jittery and I barely make it to 30 fps

Game Settings

View distance=2000m

Texture-Very High

Video Memory-default

Vsync-off

Object detail- normal

terrain-normal

anti aliasing-disabled

PP-off

Anisotropic-normal

shadows-very high (runs better than High for me)

Resolution-1280 x 1024 4:3

is it normal to get lots of lag in forests?

I can run it in open fields just fine for the most part, but forests and most towns run terribly. Does it have to do with my CPU? I thought my CPU was capable of running the game well, but I guess the Ai is rather taxing?

Edited by WallyWombat

I have a performance drop after playing fine for hours in some mission. I get 40-50 FPS normally, and then suddenly the game performance drops to 5-10 FPS, the models turns into a low poly, appearing and disappearing, lagging the entire game very baddly.

Its not the temperature, I also checked the ram with Memclean and it says that I have enough free mem.

My spec

Windows 7 32 bits

Phenom II 920 - 2.8 Ghz

4GB ram (3.25GB)

GTX 460 1 GB

Latest Drivers nVidia 270.51

Try a "flush" left shift and minus (-) on number pad together then type the word flush

I'm getting absolutely abysmal performance when in game. I get like 18-22 fps at lowest possible settings, and 15-18 at highest possible settings. However, in the main menu I get 80-100 fps on all maxxed settings. It's only when I get ingame that the fps drops tremendously. Anyone know what could be causing the issue?

I tried changing the ATOC settings in the config file but it didn't help at all.

HD 6870

Phenom II x6 1090T 3.2Ghz

8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM

2TB HD 3200RPM

Windows 7 SP1

3200rpm HDD? Or did u just mis-write 7200?

Anyway, install www.playclaw.com trial and use the overlay to see on the fly in-game how the game is using your GPU and CPU and monitor temps as well. That should give you a start at least to try to figure out what is holding you back.

I have an

Intel i7 2.93 Ghz

8 gigs DDR3

dual Nvidia GTS 250's

Windows 7 home 64-bit

Game Settings

View distance=2000m

Texture-Very High

Video Memory-default

Vsync-off

Object detail- normal

terrain-normal

anti aliasing-disabled

PP-off

Anisotropic-normal

I can run it in open fields just fine for the most part, but forests and most towns run terribly. Does it have to do with my CPU? I thought my CPU was capable of running the game well, but I guess the Ai is rather taxing?

At that resolution it does have to do with your CPU, there isn't adequate distribution of load with the GPU: set textures on High, Objects, Terrain & AF - VERY High, PP - Medium at least & then play with the view distance.

That way you'll get your 43 FPS everywhere. ;)

I have an

Intel i7 2.93 Ghz

8 gigs DDR3

dual Nvidia GTS 250's

Windows 7 home 64-bit

Game Settings

View distance=2000m

Texture-Very High

Video Memory-default

Vsync-off

Object detail- normal

terrain-normal

anti aliasing-disabled

PP-off

Anisotropic-normal

Shadows are a massive frames murderer, i have mine on normal cos i get around 25 frames with it very high, on normal i get 35+

Shadows are a massive frames murderer, i have mine on normal cos i get around 25 frames with it very high, on normal i get 35+

Not at that res, he's not utilising the max of his SLI configuration. You'd rather the CPU do the rendering with the normal settings?