R3fl3x

ArmA2 / OA (low) performance issues

Hi all using the latest BETA patch whats the best ATI drivers to be using still for a 4890 1gb cus it used to be the old 10.1 even though there is newer ones out is this still the case?.

thanks

It's very strange how some people are getting horrific frame rates, yet (for example) I was getting very smooth results...

My friend with an HD5850 & i7 920 had ~25-30 FPS in pvp which is almost the same as what I have with my much weaker rig. CTI always runs at 25 FPS as the number of AI go up, etc etc.

4. I have no idea how to find out, lol. I was under the impression that modern motherboards (especially a high-end one such as mine) assigned IRQ's automatically? I've certainly not had a single issue with the machine other than with ArmA 2, so I have so far assumed that all is fine and dandy. I wont rule out the possibility that it is wrong though, so if you could kindly tell me what to look for in the BIOS I will check it!

Thanks for the reply BTW!

The IRQ screen is just 1 way to see if your gfx card & the X-Fi are entangled in IRQ sharing. The other way is to look into your hardware manager, resources and check the IRQ entries.

How to see POST IRQ Screen:

Reboot your PC and hit the Pause/Break key when the screen below becomes visible. The boot process will stop at this point until you hit any other key, so you can check to see what IRQ(s) your new device is using (i.e. what IRQ number is listed next to the product name on the BIOS screen).

>> Picture <<

(Gfx card is 'Display Adapter' and the soundcard is 'Multimedia Device' i think. Will check when i get home.)

Anyway, when googling around for X-FI IRQ SHARING PROBLEM you'll get lost and lots of hits:

http://www.google.com/search?q=X-Fi+IRQ+sharing+problem&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Simply putting an x-fi into another slot on the MB can help getting around IRQ sharing and can fix ArmA2 crashes. It worked for me. Beforehand i had stuttering fps, some sound issues and then crashes every 20 - 30mins.

Same as these ppl:

Thanks!!! It Worked!

The X-fi and Graphics card were sharing an IRQ

I tried your advice and moved the x-fi to another PCI slot, its no longer

sharing an IRQ with the graphics card, just a lowly USB2 Host Controller.

So now I can run lotro with Hardware 3D enabled and no crashes!

(Ive still left EAX switched off for now)

Even the intermittent crackling has gone!

I found some great X-FI advices here in this thread: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=40613

Edited by ])rStrangelove

)rStrangelove;1848213']The IRQ screen is just 1 way to see if your gfx card & the X-Fi are entangled in IRQ sharing. The other way is to look into your hardware manager' date=' resources and check the IRQ entries.

How to see POST IRQ Screen:

([i']Gfx card is 'Display Adapter' and the soundcard is 'Multimedia Device' i think. Will check when i get home.[/i])

Anyway, when googling around for X-FI IRQ SHARING PROBLEM you'll get lost and lots of hits:

http://www.google.com/search?q=X-Fi+IRQ+sharing+problem&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Simply putting an x-fi into another slot on the MB can help getting around IRQ sharing and can fix ArmA2 crashes. It worked for me. Beforehand i had stuttering fps, some sound issues and then crashes every 20 - 30mins.

Same as these ppl:

I found some great X-FI advices here in this thread: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=40613

Alright, thanks.

I had a look and it appears that they all have different IRQ's, which is good, right? This is what their IRQ's are in the windows device manager:

GTX 470 - 0x0000001A (26)

GTX 470 - 0x00000018 (24)

Creative SB X-Fi - 0x0000001E (30)

As I have said before, there is quite literally no apparent problems with my system at all. The soundcard has not caused me a single headache in any game so far, and SLI always seems to work great too (in games that support it, of course).

Put it this way - In most modern games I can maintain well over 60fps almost constantly with max settings @1920x1080 and 16xAA. My system has some serious grunt under it's belt.

So I am still at my conclusion that the game's engine is the cause of this. I fear that Bohemia are incorrectly assuming that low frame rates are being caused by hardware innadequacy, when in fact it appears to be the engine's innadequacy to handle the vast amounts of data involved. Obviously on many systems it will be due to hardware innadequacy, but in my case it simply is not so. The game is not particularly taxing any area of my system, so it must be the engine at fault...

I wont start a new thread but there seems to be an issue with the map screen.

Ok I am on a server say a domi map (dont seem to make much diff).

Now if I am not looking in me map I am getting say 45fps then if I go into map the fps drops and drops more and more the further out I zoom and drops to as low as 9fps

Any one else get this?.

Hi Guys, I just got this card yesterday and it's working great with all other games, though there is a problem with the drivers, on the exact same video settings of my ATI HD 4350, where it used to run at 25-30 FPS, now the 5670 cannot exceed 25, its always stuck at 25 FPS, no matter what the settings. I put it to very high, medium, low, exactly 24 FPS. I'm guessing its MP only because in SP i get 40-60 FPS. Anyone know a solution to this?

Thanks

UrbanXFX

Anyone know a solution to this?

Thanks

UrbanXFX

A new/another engine is the only solution.

Most of the tweaks and optimization hints/mods/tweaks that i see lying around here are basically GPU related stuff, which feels a bit weird, cos every other msg in this topic says that the game is CPU demading, not GPU.

I've listed some tweaks that i've seen ppl usually recommend to check out that are not GPU related tweaks, afaik.

Could someone list some more tweaks that take of the heat from CPU if they know some.

* Set shadows to Very High (or off if ur gpu is lousy)

* Set Audio samples to 16

* Lower drawdistance

* Defrag

* Modules, which ones?

hello there, long time OFP, ArmA, ArmA2 fan here :) I'm running OA on a rig with a Phenom II X6 1035T, sadly capped at 2.6. Any attempts to OC past 2.8 using AMD Overdrive's HT Clock bar caps me at 2.8 or so before I suffer immediate errors. 2.8 however seems safe so far...

Anyways, my computer also has 8 gigs ram, and an ATI Radeon 5700 series according to dxdiag. Is my big bottleneck here my CPU? I'm worried that my stock mobo may not welcome any more attempts to OC it from 2.6 to 2.8 :(

Alright, thanks.

I had a look and it appears that they all have different IRQ's, which is good, right? This is what their IRQ's are in the windows device manager:

GTX 470 - 0x0000001A (26)

GTX 470 - 0x00000018 (24)

Creative SB X-Fi - 0x0000001E (30)

As I have said before, there is quite literally no apparent problems with my system at all. The soundcard has not caused me a single headache in any game so far, and SLI always seems to work great too (in games that support it, of course).

Put it this way - In most modern games I can maintain well over 60fps almost constantly with max settings @1920x1080 and 16xAA. My system has some serious grunt under it's belt.

So I am still at my conclusion that the game's engine is the cause of this. I fear that Bohemia are incorrectly assuming that low frame rates are being caused by hardware innadequacy, when in fact it appears to be the engine's innadequacy to handle the vast amounts of data involved. Obviously on many systems it will be due to hardware innadequacy, but in my case it simply is not so. The game is not particularly taxing any area of my system, so it must be the engine at fault...

Gotta say i'm running out of ideas here but i'm not a Win7 user so maybe thats the problem.

My last ideas:

- use those cracked creative drivers for win7, not the original ones. if you dont want to, at least disable all sfx like Eax, crystalizer, bassboost, EQ, etc etc. its all BS anyway. set ingame sound effects to 32 or try 16.

- stick to medium settings in ArmA2 even if it hurts (exept shadows on high)

- disable all your cpu/gpu monitoring software and the G19 display driver

- disable all HD cache services like prefetch, superfetch, indexing and whatever win7 has to 'boost' HD speed

- use a 8 GB Ramdisc and load the ArmA2 pbo's from there via start parameter

In NVidia center:

- dont force AA via Nvidia center, let ArmA2 handle it

- dont force Supersampling

- set prerendered frames to 1 or 2

- disable all triple buffering

- let ArmA2 handle vertical sync

Finally, ArmA2 is not ArmA2:OA. I know its a bit shady to suggest to buy the next version of a software just to see if that works better for you. If you buy OA, buy the dvd version, not Steam.

Edited by ])rStrangelove

There is a program called IOBIT toolbox.

There are options to optimize your system and there is one choice I believe makes a lot of difference.

Smart ram , monitors and optimizes memory usage to increase available physical memory.

Try this out your system gain almost 200 mb of physical memory .

Try this out your system gain almost 200 mb of physical memory .

Good idea, but ArmA streames 1X GB of data all in all. 200MB wont give you signicifant changes in smoothness.

Well At least I know I'm not the only one that should have no problem running this game but in fact I am having a serious problem with the stutter making it unplayable when playing coop PMC last night :(.

Nope your not alone.

I am a big fan of ARMA and BIS but even I know they need to still optimize it more.

Though they have done a good job so far with it but I still hope they carry on optimizing it further still as for the hardware I have and others have we should be seeing much better performance then what we get.

I understand the scope of the game and the issues that go with having large areas,battles etc I just hope they can optimize this beast more.

Yes ,especiall yConsidering I had more stable performance on my wifes hp duel core with hd4350 than my I7 2600k with 6970 and WD Black carvair drive :( .I love this game so much(the reason I got a new computer) so I'm just going to keep trying and trying until I get it figured out ;)

Same here though my pc aint as good as your`s I to upgraded to me current spec now JUST FOR THIS SIM.

I'm going to try dumbing down everything again and start over.Anything to get the stutter gone for now would be great lol :)

Downloaded a bunch of single missions, and really was stuttering hard in a few. Considering buying http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808 in the future, with a mobo replacement if necessary.

Really regret not getting that processor in the first place :(

I don't know for sure but I realy don't think the CPU or Motherboard has anything to do with it. I think its a matter of whats getting in the way of the DATA that ARMA2 needs to keep stable. What or Why I have no idea .The only thing I can do now is try to help things along. I am going to work on Possible BIOS issues-

Possible HD problems- (just purchased a Crucial c300 SSD drive that will be here Tuesday hopefully and running it in 6G SATA)

Background programs F-ing things up-

Possibly my Sytem Memory is F-ing things up but I will try that last.-

There has to be something simple getting in the way causing this massive stutter!!!

Again its in towns and especially in PMC missions with lots of stuff going on in towns. The open areas run flawless for me like at the Airport with the sniper in the tower

I don't have any problem running ArmA on my system. Very good FPS all the time in MP and SP playing.

I don't have any problem running ArmA on my system. Very good FPS all the time in MP and SP playing.

What an A-Hole!!( Kidding :) ). I sometimes think getting everything new was a mistake with ARMA2.I know I will have things sorted out eventually but its frustrating.My friend is using the same rig I have minus Memory difference with zero problems and He is VERY picky. I realy feel My issues are narrowing down to data transfer and latency. I have to wonder if my hardrive may be failing(WD Black carvair 1T connected to 6G SATA) .I have ordered a crucial c300 SSD to give it a shot and help with system boot up load times :) .See what happens come Tuesday

Hi all as you all know ARMA is a system hog.

I am after the same as every one here to get the best performance from the kit they have.

I have at the moment

Q6700 @ 2.67ghz thats stock speeds

ATI 4890 1gb

4 gb ram

win7 64bit

etc etc

I am wondering in some missions when that is a fight going on I get a huge FPS drop 15fps and if I look in the sky I gain a little say max 10fps oh the mission is an ACE2 one called trap door I thinkat the start of this mission I am hitting 40fps.

Now I am thinking its me CPU would you all say my GPU is being bottle necked by me CPU?.

I may over clock me CPU in the future if it will help or gain a worth while amount of FPS.

So honest opinions is me CPU slowing it down and if I go to 3.1ghz will it be worth it?.

in game settings are

1680x1050 for both resolution settings

VD 2500

textures normal

video memory very high

AAF normal

AA off

PP off

object detail normal

terrain detail off (in the mission above though its set to normal I think)

cant remember other settings.

thanks

Have you toyed with ati Cataylst?Or tried adjusting AA,etc in game display menu? With all my recent i7 2600k issues I did still notice huge differences pushing settings back and forth from more gpu setup(as in AA settings and stuff on the hardware to more in game setup(letting ARMA2 do the AA,etc.

I don't think video memory very high will help much(high maybe?).

I see you have AA off.Probably that will help but I gotta say sometimes lowering settings makes performance worse.At least it did on my 6970 with a lot of things

Edited by cotabucky

thanks for the reply.

I have forced AA off in the drivers im sure that's one thing that will lower performance if on.

I have shadows at very high because like you said some times higer settings mean better performance and that's the theory in ARMA any ways.

So I am still on 10.4 drivers I think should I get the latest ones as the 10.4`s for ARMA use to be classed as the better ones has this changed now even for an older card like mine 4890 1gb?.

Thanks

P.S I am sure if I over clock me CPU to 3.1ghz from the stocl 2.67ghz I will gain a bit more.

If some one with the same setup has done this please reply did it make a worth while difference?.