• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

What the heck is ESL? :confused::confused::confused:
Spanish sign language.

Oh my god what a community:D

ESL is the Electronic Sports League

The good days ArmA was in there but the patch policy of BIS made many teams to disagree with which patch we have to play and the ArmA Ladder cancelled.

I hope ArmA2 or OFP2 make it better.

Hi all

So DR will not have a demo then?

Add this to the:

Missing Jets

Missing Civilians

Missing Factions

Missing Wildlife

Missing release dates

All in all DF looks like it is Missing in Inaction

Regards walker

According to the CM forums there is a demo coming soon.

I've recently just seen the jets being flown in ArmA2 I don't think I will miss them! … The same crappy flight model as in OFP1.

I've also just seen some civilians/zombies wondering around aimlessly and bumping into each other on the same video! I don't think I will miss them!

Don't know the deal with the missing factions.

Never saw much wildlife in ArmA1 apart from a few birds, are BIS doing more interesting creatures for ArmA2?

Missing release dates? Well that can swing both ways; I seem to remember following the missing release dates of ArmA1 just a few years back!

In short it's far too early to make any judgements on either game, and taking sides will get you nowhere fast! :wave:

Those features you said are unimportant for a game to be in ESL.
ESL is the Electronic Sports League

I doubt that either BIS nor CM do design theyr game to fit in any league.

Believe it or not, there are players out there that plays "just for fun". So if a game (any game) is ESL-compatible (whatever that means) is no argument at all.

Maybe i'm just too old (read: above 16) for any sort of "i have better skillz than you, boon" style gameplay.

When playing, i don't mind to end a game with zero kills but instead helpe the team as chopper pilot, moving them to theyr hot spots, do evacs, insertions and recon/spotter jobs.

I doubt that either BIS nor CM do design theyr game to fit in any league.

Believe it or not, there are players out there that plays "just for fun". So if a game (any game) is ESL-compatible (whatever that means) is no argument at all.

Maybe i'm just too old (read: above 16) for any sort of "i have better skillz than you, boon" style gameplay.

When playing, i don't mind to end a game with zero kills but instead helpe the team as chopper pilot, moving them to theyr hot spots, do evacs, insertions and recon/spotter jobs.

Non game designed for ESL.Is its community that makes it so.

I play for fun too but I like also to compete against other people.

It is a personal taste.

@Red Kite

Well said.

I've recently just seen the jets being flown in ArmA2 I don't think I will miss them! … The same crappy flight model as in OFP1.

Dude... It's a completely different... Eugh. I take it you didn't try ArmA at all and wrote it off as a shitty game?

I've also just seen some civilians/zombies wondering around aimlessly and bumping into each other on the same video! I don't think I will miss them!

I always found that to be a cool part of OFP and ArmA. The civilians made it a much more "personal" conflict in some cases, and a much more problematic one. Multiple good missions heavily involved civilians, just look at Abandoned Armies for OFP. To omit them makes me think of it as any other game out there, like CoD WaW.

Never saw much wildlife in ArmA1 apart from a few birds, are BIS doing more interesting creatures for ArmA2?

Yes.

About the no civilians in OFP2:

If you were a civilian living on the island and you knew it was about to turn into a giant shitstorm of a battleground wouldnt you do everything possible to get the heck out of there before the tanks start rolling over your garden? I know i would. makes sense to me. Hate to damage realism and add civilians.... =D

And the no factions/no release dates thing was a worthless point walker. They are aiming for Summer 2009, so we know that. Factions are chinese and USA yes?

So really only thing you got is the no jets argument. But OFP2 its not really a big deal, i dont want people doing rambo shit in jets. reminds me of BF2.

About the no civilians in OFP2:

If you were a civilian living on the island and you knew it was about to turn into a giant shitstorm of a battleground wouldnt you do everything possible to get the heck out of there before the tanks start rolling over your garden? I know i would. makes sense to me. Hate to damage realism and add civilians....

Its a nice thought, but by that logic surely Iraq should have been a desolate and empty [people-free] wasteland for the last 2 or 3 decades...

And whats to say they knew it was going to happen? The logic fails again, since its not like Armies announce their impending arrival "oh, you may want to leave, since we're about to kick the shit out of the place"

Point in case - the Falkland Islands back in the 80s. While it was possible (they had the money and the transport availabe) for the people to evacuate (and some did) the vast majority stayed. I guess you just dont like the place you live/your country all that much....

Dude... It's a completely different... Eugh. I take it you didn't try ArmA at all and wrote it off as a shitty game?

No I tried ArmA first!

Here's the jet flying vid...

No I tried ArmA first!

Here's the jet flying vid...

THe guy is flying with a keyboard, what do you expect? :icon_ohmygod:

I've recently just seen the jets being flown in ArmA2 I don't think I will miss them!

Blah blah blah :blahblah2: rant!

Then what are you still doing on these boards? Why don't get the hell out of here and stick to the CM boards?

I don't think the arma community will miss you!

Funny, actually a world without civies or animals feels more like a zombie world to me. That means everything you see moving is obviously an enemy and thats just boring. Arma's civies might be stiff, but it's more fun playing an Iraqi Afghani mission with some 'friendlies' walking around to make you check your fire. Arma2's civies look improved and will add a nice backdrop as well as a key ingredient to mission-makers.

I will repeat what I have said for billion times:

The Flight model in ArmA needs tweak, but are far from useless.

Hi all

Since the 1.16 ArmA update the planes are far better in ArmA and View distance can be increased even on lower spec machines.

BIS are like that with their software constantly improving it.

But even before ArmA with BIS's OFP1 I used to do CAS runs in the A10 for the infantry as well as laser guided runs on point targets as part of breaching a line in an all Arms battle.

That gigantic scale is what BIS's OFP1 was and now ArmA I and ArmA II are all about.

Who can forget the variations of Jinef's Breakthrough Mission? The grandeur in MP of an all arms armored column busting through the enemy lines on Nogova at the Forrest of death, clearing Neveklov house to house and on to the second choke point The Bridge at Davle. All in all the battle took 5 hours until the few battered remnants would arrive at Velka Ves and allow the supply column to deliver the supplies to the civilians refugees at Varta heights.

The dramatic opening as the A10 gets guided in by the Forward Air Controler and clears a hole through the enemy armor. The artillery prep fires with HE air-burst and low angle WP on the Forrest of Death and Hill 109. The Tanks role forward to a flank over-watch as the Bradley's rush up to disgorge the infantry at slapy and the foot of 109. The infantry move forward 300 yards and and give directed fire for their Bradley's. While the Apaches' are the angels on our shoulders watching our open flanks for incoming armor. How could you play it without, having to consider collateral damage to civilians at Neveklov preventing the Artillery Prep fire so that it becomes house to house? The race to cross the Davle Bridge before the enemy can blow it. That last long slog clearing the wrecks and mines up to Velka Ves and the Varta heights. If you made it to the end of that mission with 5 of the assault force left alive it was a miracle. And the civilians coming down from the tents on the Varta heights.

Now that is what I call an epic mission.

If DR does not have Civilians and Jets and with the limited MP we are hearing about, how can it even live up to the Grandeur of BIS's OFP1?

If the MP missions are so limited how can it compare to the size of ArmA I?

If DR has no wildlife how will it compete with the diversity of ArmA II?

Sadly Walker

PS by the way Jinef's Breakthrough Mission is now being ported to ArmA I and I am guessing we will be seeing it in ArmA II. ;)

IMO wildlife and civvies arent a big deal.

Now whats this stuff about multiplayer? care to provide a source to your claims? We dont know anything about it, just that its gona be a massive bot army vs massive bot army haha.

Civvies are a big deal because they add a whole other dimension. I had great fun in a dynamic mission based on CAT afghan map where you had to scout towns, assault them, etc, and they were full of civies and baddies, and there were times were you just couldn't know the difference. Killing a civy also failed the mission.

Wildlife, mneh, might be cool. Dunno, Far Cry 2's wild life was fun to run over.

Hi all

Boomar what I am hearing, just by going around and searching on Google: is a maximum of 32 players and on high end servers, less than that perhaps as low as 20 in DReck on normal PCs. ArmA I is already capable of 100 plus on high end servers with 32 and 64 being the norm for games like Warfare and Berzerk on low and mid range servers. And DReck having as low as 8 or even 4 players on consoles, that along with the no editor debacle. BIS's OFP1 Elite on X-Box beats that with 32 matching what even the highest number DReck is capable on top end PC's.

Why are CM continuing to retreat from even BIS's OFP1 capabilities?

And a maximum entity count of just 256 which is less than an 8th of what even BIS's OFP1 was capable of at 768 x 4 sides. That will not be a massive bot Army that is barely three platoons when ArmA is capable of multiple battalion All Arms battles with entity counts in the thousands.

Why are CM continuing to retreat from even BIS's OFP1 capabilities?

And that stunted game-play on a barren island, no civilians, no wildlife, I guess they will come up with some story about chemical or biological weapons that mysteriously eat up all the bodies, or space aliens, or ghosties.

If CM had some kind of intention of DReck competing with BIS's ArmA II then they are very foolish, it might compete with BF or COD4 but DReck is not even in the same league as ArmA II.

Sadly walker

Off topic, but i would like to know what’s wrong with some people here, that can't accept someone else’s opinion. It’s like if someone disagrees with their opining it’s even worse than offend them. Why can't you all act like ADULTS? And respect each other’s opinion? If we are here it's because we ARE interested in Armed Assault 2, however we do have our opinion about what we saw about the game, and if we didn't like feature a, b or c or the missing of feature d, e or f, doesn't mean that we won’t like the game or that we won’t buy it. And that no one recognizes BIS hard work. Well, anyway, calm down people, if you disagree with someone else opinion just don't say nothing, it's much better than offend that person.

Best regards.

To the guy who just said that civvies aren't there because it's a battleground:

Look at Iraq/Afghanistan

To the guy who just said that civvies aren't there because it's a battleground:

Look at Iraq/Afghanistan

ahh, also the recent Georgia event.

simulation = copy of the real life.

In the real life, I know only 1 modern town empty with no civs: tchernobyl.

Civs are really important, a simulation without Civs, is just an other FPS.

The reason for the lack of civvies is the island is sparsely populated and mostly wilderness. Two powers fighting over the resources the island bring, not interested in the population which is to small (and most "have fled" anyway) to have any bearing conflict.

Mentioning Iraq and Georgia is a bit silly, its like comparing a battle for New York to a battle for Wyoming, two fundamentally different scenarios.

Its the same with ARMA2 and OFP2, two totally different back drops to two totally different scenarios. Civvies play a large role in both OFP and ARMA 2 due to their great relevance to the scenario, unlike OFP: DR where they have no relevance at all.

Its a nice thought, but by that logic surely Iraq should have been a desolate and empty [people-free] wasteland for the last 2 or 3 decades...

And whats to say they knew it was going to happen? The logic fails again, since its not like Armies announce their impending arrival "oh, you may want to leave, since we're about to kick the shit out of the place"

Point in case - the Falkland Islands back in the 80s. While it was possible (they had the money and the transport availabe) for the people to evacuate (and some did) the vast majority stayed. I guess you just dont like the place you live/your country all that much....

Both Iraq and the Falkland Isles have a domestic population greater that 6.

Why you are so worried about civilians on Codemasters island is beyond me. The place has one farm.

One.

The Galapagos islands is a seething metropolis compared to it.

I agree that civilians add depth to game, but they don't fit into the Codemasters scenario. It isn't based in Iraq and it isn't based on the Falklands.

There are any number of Islands in the Pacific that have had their domestic completely populations removed by invading militaries. Loads of them.

Historically when America and Canada invaded the place on the way to Japan, there weren't just no civilians on the island, there weren't any enemy soldiers either.

The whole place is a national park.

On the otherhand Codemasters have added a load of buildings and a "town" that isn't really there.

It's not real. It isn't a simulation especially. It's just an island arena to do battle on. No need to read too much into it. The plot is crap. The sooner you overlook it, the better.

Codemasters aren't BIS. They aren't making the same game.

They haven't started with BIS's game and then removed features.

They have started with a racing car game and then added some.

The people at GRIN did the samething with Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter.

That game was not anything like as good as the original. But I still play it from time to time.

Edited by Baff1

Hi all

...Why you are so worried about civilians on Codemasters island is beyond me. The place has one farm.

One...

So there will be No Urban Combat in DReck either.

No Civilians

No Flyable Jets

Micro Battles

Micro Multiplayer

No Wildlife.

No Editor for the consoles.

So why would people pay money for a game like DReck that has not even as got the capabilities of BIS's OFP1 never mind the advanced capabilities of ArmA II?

Regards walker

Quote:

Walker- If CM had some kind of intention of DReck competing with BIS's ArmA II then they are very foolish, it might compete with BF or COD4 but DReck is not even in the same league as ArmA II.

This is the point that really changed my view. They aren't in the same league, probably are targeted and designed for different gamer demographics. Most of these comments on both sides are completely valid, and describe two very different military type games. Personal opinions are just that, not really open for discussion because that is how the individual feels about it. So to try and say one is better than the other when they are very different in the technical arena, is probably better put as "I do/don't care for that type of gameplay". Just another opinion on the subject..

Edited by Scrub

Calm down everyone it's just a game.:rolleyes:

Hi all

So there will be No Urban Combat in DReck either.

No Civilians

No Flyable Jets

Micro Battles

Micro Multiplayer

No Wildlife.

No Editor for the consoles.

So why would people pay money for a game like DReck that has not even as got the capabilities of BIS's OFP1 never mind the advanced capabilities of ArmA II?

Regards walker

Well there is actually a small town in the game equal in size to those we have already seen in OFP, so there is urban combat.

So there will be urban combat.

As pointed out civilians are irrelevant to the story so no big deal, really how much did they matter during the CWC campaign, apart from a few missions there were never even anywhere to be found.

No flyable jet i can live with it, the AI can do it well enough.

Micro battles i have do idea what you're talking about, i assume this is typical speculation.

Micro multiplayer i agree with, far to limited amount of player but there should be a decent amount of AI.

Wildlife i really dont care about, was it even in OFP (other than seagulls :p )? Made no difference then to me then so why would i miss it.

And no editor on console is terrible, real big deal and really poor call by Codemasters.

And the answer to your question, lots of things, like properly simed weapons with real optics and FLIR, tanks with real optics with amour penetration system rather then hitboxes. New AI that isn’t so limited (hopefully), the battlefields that stay from mission to mission as well as many other things.

But I don’t understand your comment on capabilities, OFP/ARMA’s engine is very old and limited now, how many features have player been asking for that have not been included one way or another. OFP should include many capabilities that OFP or ARMA2 wont as already pointed out.