FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

...with the lame arcade *Bhuum* sound effects of ArmA.

Your axe must be huge; you've been grinding it for weeks now. Admirable whistle.gif

...What?

Its like a funeral over at the CM forums, accept the lack of dignity, and some extreme emotions.

Its like a funeral over at the CM forums, accept the lack of dignity, and some extreme emotions.

Helios is having a hard time doing his job.

Yeah especially the timely arrival of this news. Today is probably the worst day to announce no editor, half the people believing its some sort of joke.

All the while we're over here complaining about how realistic the digestion of farm animals will be for FARMA2 nener.gif

All the while we're over here complaining about how realistic the digestion of farm animals will be for FARMA2  nener.gif

Seems we're a more contented community (on the whole).

wow, 41 pages in just 1 day! That's something. DR really is turning out to be something else even for the most die hard supporters.

wow, 41 pages in just 1 day! That's something. DR really is turning out to be something else even for the most die hard supporters.

One day? Are you referring to this thread?

One day? Are you referring to this thread?

I guess he means the mess over at the CM forums wink_o.gif

Ikonboard attack...

And I didn't even click on the button twice biggrin_o.gif

Nope, to the one in the OP:DR forums about the interview that said no mission editor for consoles.

EDIT: Deadfast beat me to it.

Helios said it was an early concept trailer they showed to places before development started or something, so not really what they want to show off now, considering it eclipses the game.

another interesting cutscene movie lost ... rofl.gif

Maybe they will Remove (cancel) the entire game while they are at it...

All the while we're over here complaining about how realistic the digestion of farm animals will be for FARMA2  nener.gif

Seems we're a more contented community (on the whole).

Not to mention much older.

That's a primarily teenage crowd.

Maybe they will Remove (cancel) the entire game while they are at it...

Yes, and concede its name to the proper owner's. Of course this would cause more trouble than good, since its so far down the line, but I've been against CM using that name from the very beginning. confused_o.gif

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/967/967683p1.html

Quote[/b] ]"Up until now, there's been no such thing as artificial intelligence in games, it's just a series of scripts", boldly proclaims Clive Lindop, lead AI and game designer. "As a developer you set soldier X to react when something triggers Y, causing target A to pop out from cover and so on." The problem with this system, he suggests, is that - over time - players learn the rule sets of the game and can predict how the enemy will react. "In Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising there really is an artificial intelligence – it's not HAL and it doesn't learn, but it does make for an experience unlike anything you'd played before."

WTF huh.gif

He just contradicted himself rofl.gif

There really is an IA but it doesn't learn -> so how is it different than the "series of scripts" he talks about in the beginning???

rofl.gif

I think they ought to keep Clive on a leash, he seems to be maligning pretty much every interview he's in. Really terrible at PR, but we should all know that by now, seeing how well they did when OFP first came out. Hardly any marketing, and still the game is legendary.

Not to mention much older.

That's a primarily teenage crowd.

Du wha? I'm only fortysixteen, sir. wink_o.gif

i was at EB games today. They had FP:DR is the comming soon area. Had a look at the box. But I forgot to ask when its being released.

Just so people know. I was mostly checking the box if the word OFP CWC was on it or Bohemia interactive. Luckily. It wasnt

Hi all

I think it is timely to remind people of something I wrote earlier.

I have placed the most relevant section in bold type

Hi all

The big company problem

Being a large company means you you tend to think size will solve your problems. Spend more money, use more resources, use a bigger team etc.

A second problem is that it tends to lead to looking at the market as a mass market and thus creating a mass market solution hence the common lowest denominator.

The thing about a recession is that larger companies have larger overheads and run out of cash more quickly. Having a large project with millions invested in it means there is x million is tied up in a large project when your cash needs are at their highest and because there is a recession borrowing is tight.

In essence the large companies economies of scale start to work in reverse. It often makes large companies desperate.

They cannot cut resources as that means the product will not be produced at all; straight loss. So they look to reduce deliver-ables; the quality of what they produce so as to cut costs and corners. While relying on their past good name to fool former customers into buying a pig in a poke. This is often a sign that a company is in the decline phase.

It is called "Whoring the Brand" it is the marketing equivalent of AIDS.

It is easily diagnosed by asking the question "Are sales more important than quality?"

If a company is dropping features and appealing to a "perceived" mass market I would say those were major indicators.

Effects

The reason why it is the the marketing equivalent of AIDS is, that in recession people want to save money thus they gravitate to two solutions either:

Lowest Cost; Pound Shop rather than Woolworths. Short term cost saving.

OR

Quality; Toyota rather than GM/Ford/Chrysler. Long term cost saving.

The reason people buy Quality in a recession is that:

1st) Quality is cheaper to buy in a recession due to general price depreciation making the quality product a bargain at sale prices.

2nd) Customers perceive quality, to last longer thus saving them money in the long term. In the case of a game re-playability is that perceived longer lasting product.

This has a tertiary effect for small companies that offer quality; it creates a virtuous circle for the quality product as its sales go up at the expense of larger companies with lower quality products that fail, thus allowing the quality company to take advantage of the large companies Economies of Scale while maintaining a small companies cost base.

As Baff1 and Placebo pointed out people have to ask who is producing the quality product?

Simple

Kind Regards walker

I do not know if anyone else spotted this

Quote[/b] ]Codemasters COO Departs Unexpectedly

Codemasters’ Chief Operating Officer Tony Williams is no longer working for the UK publisher, Edge understands.

According to a source close to the matter, Williams left the company late last week, though Codemasters has made no announcement regarding this...

http://www.edge-online.com/news/codemasters-coo-departs-unexpectedlyFolow link for full article

Kind Regards walker

Yeah I agree with those thoughts walker. That seems to reflect this situation quite well.

Lack of experience of the developing team at CM in "open world FPSs", together with maybe cuts on staff and denial of any further delays from investors might have probably forced them to scrap the consoles editor.

After watching the last gameplay videos, it seems to me that they have a lot of work to do in order to release a polished product. If they pretend to release it by late summer, they better hurry up...

Just to add, I could not stop laughing after reading the following post at CM forums:

Quote[/b] ]Originally Posted by K1RK H4MM3T View Post

"I think what people need to realise is that the devs aren't perfect--they don't know everything about coding ."

But they should, they're called Code-Masters biggrin_o.gif

While relying on their past good name to fool former customers into buying a pig in a poke. This is often a sign that a company is in the decline phase.

I dunno, EA Games has been doing it for years and they're still making millions tounge2.gif

While relying on their past good name to fool former customers into buying a pig in a poke. This is often a sign that a company is in the decline phase.

I dunno, EA Games has been doing it for years and they're still making millions  tounge2.gif

Rather billions.....