FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Quote[/b] ]The thrill of experiencing the latest boundaries of computer science that technology has to offer is utterly removed from the equation.

You know what? More and more people play on a console because they are not interested in this 'thrill' at all.

Mostly, they're interested in not having to dick around with driver updates, installing a million extra apps (just look at the recent GTA IV debacle) and whatnot.

Consoles offer the marvellous simplicity of plug it in, smash a disk into the drive and just play. No bullshit, no fucking around.

All they are interested in is playing games on a BIG HDTV often in a room with friends playing the same game on the same console and the same TV while downing a few beers.

This is a delicious extra the comes with the console setup. And I agree, its an excellent bonus. Tho it is possible to do it with PC gaming too, just not as easy. (and before the "you're a pro or con pc/console" shit starts flying, at home I have a 360 and a bigass HDTV as well as a gaming PC)

just look at the recent GTA IV debacle

I wouldn't blame computers for this wink_o.gif

Hello, Rockstar!

So your making a personal statement that OFP-DR will have the same feature on consoles as with the PC platform? well you did.

Let me enlighten you: it does not ..... FACT

No mate, Clive Lindpop the lead developer has repeatedly stated that all versions will play the same and have the same features. That aside from textures and player count in MP for PC users, owners of each platform will be playing an exactly identical game.

It might not be a....... FACT, but it's the best information we currently have to go on and I personally see no reason to doubt him on this.

just look at the recent GTA IV debacle

I wouldn't blame computers for this wink_o.gif

Hello, Rockstar!

I bet Rockstar puts blame on computers wink_o.gif

So your making a personal statement that OFP-DR will have the same feature on consoles as with the PC platform? well you did.

Let me enlighten you: it does not ..... FACT

No mate, Clive Lindpop the lead developer has repeatedly stated that all versions will play the same and have the same features. That aside from textures and player count in MP for PC users, owners of each platform will be playing an exactly identical game.

It might not be a....... FACT, but it's the best information we currently have to go on and I personally see no reason to doubt him on this.

That guy has no credibility with me...

I personally see no reason to doubt him on this.

Isn't he a well-documented liar? Is that not reason enough?

Clive Lindpop the lead developer has repeatedly stated that all versions will play the same and have the same features.

Well, he fails because on the console you won't be able to go to cody forums or flashpoint2.info to DL addons and mods

Are there going to be any addons or mods then?

I know there is a mission editor planned.

I think I saw some images of it. It looks usable enough to me.

Quote[/b] ]I think I saw some images of it. It looks usable enough to me

Yup. Seems to be pretty much in the same vein as BIS editor is, only the interface shown on some video was more 'windows like'..

One thing I noticed on that same video was the particle effect editor, I was left unclear though whether it belonged to the 'modding/mission editing' tools or not..

If it is, miles ahead of the incredibly annoyingly manual particlesource/drop scripting stuff..

I'm in hope this one will be a good game too, the only thing they should have done is to call it something else than Operation Flashpoint, Dragon Rising alone would be good enough title..

Quote[/b] ]Isn't he a well-documented liar? Is that not reason enough?

Is that all you can do? Getting personal and spreading bs? What do you really want to say, prick?

Grim

Quote[/b] ]Isn't he a well-documented liar? Is that not reason enough?

Is that all you can do? Getting personal and spreading bs? What do you really want to say, prick?

Grim

Clive is that you?

Opinions formed on available evidence are one thing, abusing fellow forum members are another, please cut it out.

Wow someone here seems to be in need of a hug. icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I personally will be getting OFP2 when it gets a bit cheaper, just to see what it's like, it may have a few nice touches here and there.

But I will not keep playing it online probably, for two reasons:

1. There is a pretty low playerlimit for online coop play, even on PC.

2. There are no playable fixed wing aircraft in OFP2, and I play ArmA for two things: making missions, and flying in coop missions.(Don't say "go play Lock On n00b" coz I allready play it! xD)

Maybe it'll give BIS some nice idea's for an ArmA 3 if there'll be one? Who knows. smile_o.gif

Kim

Come on we had that discussion before all over the fora regarding Clive and his status as 'part of the original team' or whatever it was called. There was never much evidence that Clive tried to be someone he never was. It was a wrong statement but I don't remember it was his statement so what all the fuss made about it now?

Fact is: we do have two factions that want to make the 'true and only' successor of OFP, one having the rights for the engine, the other having the rights for the name. Gamers and fans want to have a true successor and most gamers are not into all this BI vs. CM nonsense. We are waiting for two great games that might have the right to be called 'OFP2' and there are fans for both BI and CM - and the real fan of the game as such will certainly buy and play both. But all we see here on the BI forum is bashing and trolling and bs about the CM game and persons involved with it. You are a member of the CM forum - you should know how it could be done without all this bashing here.

So, no I'm not Clive and I'm sure he can defend himself well enough. If the members here can't just talk about the games and all that, you should expect some crystal clear responses to these 'he's a liar' notes. If you don't consider such accusations as off topic Placebo, just live with the reactions to them.

Grim

Come on we had that discussion before all over the fora regarding Clive and his status as 'part of the original team' or whatever it was called. There was never much evidence that Clive tried to be someone he never was. It was a wrong statement but I don't remember it was his statement so what all the fuss made about it now?

He'd written on his own Linkedin profile that he worked on the original flashpoint, as you see if you read earlier in the thread. That is why I said "opinions formed on available evidence". And yes I do read the CM forums so I know just how much bashing goes on over there left unchecked, I read this thread and the only time there's been any "bashing" as you might like to call it was in response to Clive's actions, which is why certain people have formed certain opinions, in life you reap what you sow.

I hope now you will leave it at that and return to discussing the game.

...Blah blah...

Obviously it wasn't well-documented enough. At least you know now; Placebo has had to repeat the story half a dozen times at least.

...On topic: I reckon I'll definitely still try the DR demo, and read reviews of the final game. I might buy it even if it's only OK, but we'll see. Here's hoping both games are good.

After stating that they had a few people dedicated to research (read: devs using google every now and then) it's not surprising that there was a 'fuss'.

I'm in hope this one will be a good game too, the only thing they should have done is to call it something else than Operation Flashpoint, Dragon Rising alone would be good enough title..

Amen,

We know it will not feel or play anything like OFP.

It will be a "new" game. It needs a "new" name!

Ok, I hereby apologize for my harsh words SaBrE_UK, seems that the prick was me.  I wasn't aware that he had that statement on his carreer profile. I'm sorry.

But I still think we shouldn't use that as ammo now for doubting all his statements about the game he is currently involved in (at least that's a fact). It might become a damn good mil sim and I hope so. And I double hope that ArmA2 will be the blast to play it seems to be from what we know now.

Grim

He'd written on his own Linkedin profile that he worked on the original flashpoint, as you see if you read earlier in the thread. That is why I said "opinions formed on available evidence". And yes I do read the CM forums so I know just how much bashing goes on over there left unchecked, I read this thread and the only time there's been any "bashing" as you might like to call it was in response to Clive's actions, which is why certain people have formed certain opinions, in life you reap what you sow.

I hope now you will leave it at that and return to discussing the game.

The latest (April) issue of XBOX 360 "The Official Magazine" with a FP: DR preview in it claims that more than one of the current codies team was, and I quote, on the original flashpoint team.

I'll grab some scans later, but they are still pushing the "this is the sequel, and we're going to do it better than when we made the original....

OK this is getting silly. I mean, yes, a preview or two might get it wrong. But when every preview has quotes from CM saying they made the original, something fishy is going on. Thing is, there's little BI can do, unfortunately, unless they take the risk of utilising legal procedures.

If they're so confident in their product, why all the subterfuge? I've been bothered since the GC convention when they were talking about the 'old community' as theirs, but was willing to let it slide as technically correct but not really the truth. But now I see that they are absolutely selling themselves as creators of the originals to I guess fool people who are not in the know.

Shameful.

...Blah blah...

Obviously it wasn't well-documented enough. At least you know now; Placebo has had to repeat the story half a dozen times at least.

...On topic: I reckon I'll definitely still try the DR demo, and read reviews of the final game. I might buy it even if it's only OK, but we'll see. Here's hoping both games are good.

If it has somekind of functional Co-op I will be buying it.

I'm a brand loyal Codemaster fan. I've been buying their games for almost a quarter of a century now.

Probably better if they don't let Clive speak in public however.

I couldnt get scans (the only scanner currently available to me is locked away in the office, which i cant get to) but I did take some photos.

Apologies for the poor quality, its no scan, but it is legible. Here is the offending quote:

claims.jpg

pages 1 + 2

Pages 3 + 4

Quote[/b] ]Thing is, there's little BI can do, unfortunately, unless they take the risk of utilising legal procedures.

They already have, CM has yet to comment on it tho.