318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Just a few responses from CM community members in the ArmA 2 OT thread:

Bradt3hLeader said:

ArmA II fails, it's ArmA I with reskinned vehicles and uniforms. It doesn't look at all like any of the animations which really needed to be fixed were improved. I'm very very disappointed. The physics system is also the biggest fail. I hate the run/strop dead in your tracks stuff, bullcrap so stupid.

I'm getting Dragon Rising!

Yeah I know right? I mean they're not good. Helicopters also aren't good.

But whether ArmA was bad or not is behind us. Now it's ArmA II, and it would appear not much if any has been improved. The biggest thing to be is how you can spring, and let go of the "W" key and instantly stop.

Do you know any human capable of that? Going from 12km/h to 0 in 0 seconds?

There needs to be a slowing down. Also helicopters need to control like they should.

I need to stop complaining...

And I thought Sir Polaris might be a bit more tactful in his choice of words when it came to posting about this rival game:

until the game is played and ooops it's ARMA1 again - the game that was great until you moved the mouse

CM might lose a good chunk of the existing fans, but fans of OFP1 and ARMA are by far a small minority.

These are just examples of the level of maturity you might expect from the CM community.

I'm sorry if this is irrelevant, but if anything certain accusations ought to be considered twofold.

I think Codemasters will not be able to create a proper sequel of OFP without BIS. Cause Real Virtuality engine is essential for this simulation, if we want to enjoy wast areas of different landscape, filled with various interactive objects. Alongside with great single player scenarios this feature brought tremendous success and world fame to OFP.

I fail to see what the immature CM community has to do with Dragon Rising after all. They have their fans who complain about ArmA/ArmA2 and we have our fans who complain about their ehh... product. :)

Judging by the post count of some people you get the feeling they only registered to argue against ArmA 2...

In this case, where a big company has give to a small studio the opportunity to prove his self, left him the right to autonomy and to the most parts of the software and product as well as the permission to still use the name "Operation Flashpoint" for marketing (how it's wrote on the ArmA box), yes. I think here came publishing right near to charity. I also think we are conscious that BIS now could be called "EA-Prague" or something similar if they has "dealed" with another publisher ;).

You really think this was charity? Do you think CM gave all the money to BIS, touched their heads and said "good boy"?

CM got their share, BIS got theirs. Thats called business.

The new preview that has come out has left me bewildered.

Ok, Sahrani is 400 square Kilometres according to the BI wiki,

400 km = 248.54840 miles, so Sahrani is 249 square miles.

But in the preview it says :

Dragon Rising presents a 135 square mile island.....

That is almost half the size of Sahrani if I'm correct, can someone confirm this because if it's true it is ridiculously small compared to a game made in 2006.

Edited by Blackhawk

The actual landmass of Sahrani is somewhere between 50 and 100 square miles.

To be more precise it is around 110,7 km^2.

Yep, I was bored :)

I just want to clarify that I didn't make this account in order to argue against ArmA/ArmA 2, in fact its only because I made this account before finding the name change thread.

On the old forums I lurked around as Glorfindel, and only recently began posting.

Anyway, I agree about the press, and written previews for DR, they seem to be relaying something that originated from the CM pr department. It gets pretty suspicious when all you read about a game is how great it is, nothing of the downsides, of which both games I'm sure will have plenty. And when the journalists don't seem to have any ties to OFP in the first place, its quite unbecoming to claim a product being made almost a decade later as a worthy successor. I could be wrong, it would be a terrible tragedy. But when people come here and throw words like "haters" "immature" and especially the bad grammar ridden "fanboi" it tends to frost my cookies!

Anyway, I honestly hope deep down that CM pulls it off, they really need something to go with the name they're using.

You should ask the mods about your old account. I don't think that you're allowed to have two accounts - you should get the old one reactivated or deleted.

You should ask the mods about your old account. I don't think that you're allowed to have two accounts - you should get the old one reactivated or deleted.

I consulted a mod, hopefully if there is an issue it can be resolved. Thanks for the heads up.

I don't like this at all, none of the games are acceptable.

OFP: DR doesn't have airplanes, civilians or animals. It also looks very arcadish judging by the way you hold your firearm. The animations looks like shit too. But on the other hand it has a REAL physics engine which uses NEWTON'S laws instead of some retarded inbred piece of shit physics engine BIS uses.

So neither of the games are complete.

I wonder if Project reality for bf is going to mod bf bc 2, then that might be an alternative.

I don't like this at all, none of the games are acceptable.

OFP: DR doesn't have airplanes, civilians or animals. It also looks very arcadish judging by the way you hold your firearm. The animations looks like shit too. But on the other hand it has a REAL physics engine which uses NEWTON'S laws instead of some retarded inbred piece of shit physics engine BIS uses.

So neither of the games are complete.

I wonder if Project reality for bf is going to mod bf bc 2, then that might be an alternative.

Take a breath, get a grip, and remember that the world does not continue to exist because of these two games. They are after all... only games.

Judging by the post count of some people you get the feeling they only registered to argue against ArmA 2...

Of course, i've registered in Feb. 05 just to blaim ArmA2 now...:rolleyes:

You really think this was charity? Do you think CM gave all the money to BIS, touched their heads and said "good boy"?

CM got their share, BIS got theirs. Thats called business.

But before both got theyr "shares", BIS had to change some publisher. So who needed who more than the other? ;)

I think i can be called Fanboy, yes. Fan of OFP and Arma, i like the work that BIS is doing and can't wait for the release of ArmA2. But the same count for OFP: DR and CM.

I wonder if Project reality for bf is going to mod bf bc 2.

Nope. The PR devs has indicated that their next project will "sooner be an Indy game than yet another mod".

But theres still a lot of cool stuff to come for BF2 PR. One of them is all these cool new factions under development:

Canada

Poland

The Netherlands

Russia

Israel

Germany

Australia

Norway

PMC(Private military contractors)

France

Edited by sparks50

OFP2 and ArmA2 will be great games, i love things about both of them. I'll buy both but i doubt ArmA2 will sell more than OFP2. I'd prolly bet my damn house and car on the fact ArmA2 wont sell more copies.

One thing for sure is that the OFP2 website and boxart looks better than ArmA2 website and box art so far. Just sayin. OFP2 would definately stand out more than ArmA2 in a game store. Maybe its just a placeholder though.

OFP2 and ArmA2 will be great games, i love things about both of them. I'll buy both but i doubt ArmA2 will sell more than OFP2. I'd prolly bet my damn house and car on the fact ArmA2 wont sell more copies.

One thing for sure is that the OFP2 website and boxart looks better than ArmA2 website and box art so far. Just sayin. OFP2 would definately stand out more than ArmA2 in a game store. Maybe its just a placeholder though.

In what way were you hoping that this post might contribute to the topic? Sure you mention these two games, but this isn't a publication of news about DR, its your own speculation, and it seems almost like flaming.

Since my own reply doesn't quite contribute also, I will impose a question. Has there been any details on how the command system will play out?

And how many AI are you directly capable of giving specific commands?

I know, detailed questions, but with the scrutiny of this community, its details we look for:yay:

Operation Flashpoint games were never about selling trillions of copies.

They were and are games that attract only a limited share of players with their specific type of gameplay. Realism doesn't appeal to everybody.

This is also what I'm afraid the most with Codemasteres. Being a big company they will want to make as much profit as they can.

And I'm afraid these few percents of realism fans are not gonna be enough for them.

Operation Flashpoint games were never about selling trillions of copies.

They were and are games that attract only a limited share of players with their specific type of gameplay. Realism doesn't appeal to everybody.

This is also what I'm afraid the most with Codemasteres. Being a big company they will want to make as much profit as they can.

And I'm afraid these few percents of realism fans are not gonna be enough for them.

Agree totally. OFP2 will drift towards picking up the BF2 "quick-game" types, ArmA2 will likely stay true to the "War Sim".

But "broad and open" games like OFP1, ArmA and ArmA2 are bad business for games companies like EA its, if I'm close to a typical "gamer" ...... These 2 games are 95% all I play!

I've only bought like 5 other games in the last 5 years!

BUT

.... would I've paid US$40 more for OFP back then ... shyt yeah.

.... would I've paid US$25 more for ArmA1 back then ... shyt yeah. (hey! I have 3 copies! ie Early german release etc)

.... will I pay US$40 more for ArmA2 if they promise to increase the content with patches, shyt yeah.

.... will I pay another US$40 more for ArmA2 if it included some of the VBS2 vehicles (and tools) and Walk-On-Moving-Vehicle ..... F$#K YEAH

One thing for sure is that the OFP2 website and boxart looks better than ArmA2 website and box art so far. Just sayin.

You're having fun trolling arent you?

First off, the websites are almost damn identical, with the exception that the ArmA2 website has more words (and WAY more info) on it.

How you can even begin to compare the boxart is beyond me, especially considering ArmA2 doesnt even HAVE boxart yet. Even then, the DR boxart is pretty generic. One surly looking soldier on the front with some pre-rendered background action and the games name splashed across it. Sure the yellow is eyecatching, but its nothing special. [Disclaimer: I realise that this might also be placeholder artwork, which further nullifies the point of comparing them. Oh hey, lets compare placeholder to placeholder... Duh...]

One thing for sure is that the OFP2 website and boxart looks better than ArmA2 website and box art so far. Just sayin.

How is CMs flashpoint site better than ArmA2? The flashpoint site uses flash and that usually make a website quite nonuser friendly and boring (and that the case here too). Then there is zero information to be found and it has a stupid age form before you enter it.

New prevew from PC Zone:

http://katewild.co.uk/downloads/OPDR_PCZone_Page1.jpg

http://katewild.co.uk/downloads/OPDR_PCZone_Page2.jpg

http://katewild.co.uk/downloads/OPDR_PCZone_Page3.jpg

http://katewild.co.uk/downloads/OPDR_PCZone_Page4.jpg

Interesting to see on the first page it gives it a weak driving model. Wait... isnt this based on the same damn engine that does rally games?!?! My mind is blown :p

Also, more pre-rendered artwork with M60 Patton tanks and Saracen APC's. (Both of which havent been used for a while...)

Maybe he never played Dirt? Everytime I fire it up after a pause I have to accustom myself to the driving model again as it's different from all other racing games I play. Whenever I tried to get it to work with my wheel it felt like he described it.

What I like most of all the features I heard about so far is that every weapon, grenade and magazine can be seen on the soldier. I loved that in Raven Shield. I just hope the grain filter and "next-gen" post processing can be removed as easily as in Dirt.

Has anyone seen or heard anything about the replacement for the floating zone, bullets coming out of the weapon or true first person? The first engine trailer looked bad and I fear most that despite of what they are doing it feels like a bland shooter.

Oh no the magazines trying to spur on more hate between the console and PC people.

It would be nice to see less pre rendered and more ingame but all in all I'll let the game itself show me just how good it is. (though in reading the pages I can't help but feel "LIKE IT! LIKE IIIIIIT!" being shoved at me.)

More and more it seems that OFP2 is going for console markets and the PC is just an extra.