Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Great, so I can use my TrackIR in jets............oh, wait:q:

The co-op tether and glasswalls on MP are probably the reason they left out planes.

Hell even Battlefield 2 has them and BF2142 has fast moving gunships

yet they manage just fine on the maps they have.

They even have a buffer zone for aircraft to stray into before getting a warning and kill.

CM needs to stop bulls___g and just sell the game for what it is.... COD4/GRAW2 with larger maps and updated graphics

in fact if they did that from the beginning I'd still be onboard but this contant lying which continues to the last videos released

is beyond unbelievable... They seem to be competing with Ubisoft in the BS department.

Edited by jblackrupert

Will the Avon Lady make a page for OFP2? ;)

Didn't she leave the community around 2004-2005?

Anyone mentioning arma2 on the CM forum just expect a ban, they have an avid arma hater in Viiiper (mod) everything arma2 is rubbished followed up by everything OFP-DR is the best ever.

He almost lives in the arma2 thread over there either trying to put people off the game or making stuff up, I had to make a video of red barrels just to prove another one of his blatant lies.

I got infractions for correcting the lies spread all over the forums.

I now only comment on a few things as I know if I step out of line this guy is gunning for all arma2 people.

You know the funniest thing, in the mod section of OFP-DR, they have a sticky of requested apps needed to mod the game, almost everyone that posted in that are from the arma2 mod scene, that silly bugger is chasing away the very people that could improve that game.

Go figure.

Southy

Yep, Viiiper is one massive OFP-DR troll, lies after lies after lies.

When you call him out he gives you an infraction and some huge wall of text mixed with horribly bad grammar explaining how you are being a bad little boy and trolling the forums.

Didn't she leave the community around 2004-2005?

Obviously she will return for Dragon Rising. It's been scientifically proven that Dragon Rising is so awesome that BIS will go bankrupt and explode the instant it's released.

Edited by echo1

Obviously she will return for Dragon Rising. It's been scientifically proven that Dragon Rising is so awesome that BIS will go bankrupt and explode the instant it's released.

Thank you for the well written responses you gave to the COD4 kiddies that have inhabited the CM forums.

Anyone mentioning arma2 on the CM forum just expect a ban, they have an avid arma hater in Viiiper (mod) everything arma2 is rubbished followed up by everything OFP-DR is the best ever.

He almost lives in the arma2 thread over there either trying to put people off the game or making stuff up, I had to make a video of red barrels just to prove another one of his blatant lies.

I got infractions for correcting the lies spread all over the forums.

I now only comment on a few things as I know if I step out of line this guy is gunning for all arma2 people.

You know the funniest thing, in the mod section of OFP-DR, they have a sticky of requested apps needed to mod the game, almost everyone that posted in that are from the arma2 mod scene, that silly bugger is chasing away the very people that could improve that game.

Go figure.

Southy

I have to agree with you here.

I reckon he has CM Fanboy tatoos all over him ;)

Helios is ok but this viiper fanboy is a gloryfied shrimp

This discussion is getting too personal. Quit using this forum as a place to flame the staff at another forum. I'm no fan of them either but this is damn childish.

This is starting to get as bad as their forums.

Back onto the game...

Well MP is now proven to suck. Small maps or a ridiculous 'tether' which kills the usefulness of aircraft in coop and makes it hard to have a sniper doing his thing while keeping distance from his 4 man squad...

I just want some info on the SP campaign. Is there any story, with characters? Cutscenes? Or just dull mission after mission? That's the only thing I'd possibly get the game for now.

Edited by Maddmatt

Lol, the PU - Power Unlimited - has the first ever review...

And guess what? They gave it a 9/10...to have that exclusive right they surely would review the game for it flaws...or not?

Just read parts of the review and it is really debatable and not critically hold against what was promised by Codemasters...

Now, the question is, would they give any critism if they have the first world exclusive review ?

My guess is that the marketing budget from Codemasters is quite far-reaching...

Anyhow...someone will probably put up scans soon and you all can judge it by yourself...

I'm not impressed by the game at all...

For the console market, sure, there is nothing out there like it. For the pc market, BIS got my vote...OFP 2 is a simple console port with restricted limits to that very platform.

================================

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is one of the most anticipated and talked about war shooters of recent years. And every time the same question came up: will Codemasters pull it off without Bohemia Interactive? Jan locked himself up with the review version for a week to give you the answer.

- Reviewer has never been in military service, but has shot some guns in the past. Says it's nothing like Killzone or CoD.

- He thinks OFPDR comes close to real warfare: it's dirty, tactical, deadly and split seconds can mean the difference between life and death. The game is hard, but satisfying.

Choices

- Choices may be the biggest selling point of OFPDR. Many options: approach a village from the front, rear or flanks? Take the sniper rifle or the machine gun? Formation of your troops, bullet type, fire rate, secondary grenades, you can all choose them yourself. But there's hardly any time to make those choices, cause the enemy will advance.

Camouflaged son of a bitch

- Enemies are the chinese.

- (Story)

- The island is big, expansive and dangerous. No corridors or limited environments with invisible walls.

- Trick is to stay moving, think strategic and use your teammates. Recon before a mission is always a good idea. Sometimes your buddy will say 'Enemy, 300 metres, south!' but you can't see the son of a bitch cause he's in the bushes with a camouflage suit.

- The enemies aren't brainless kamikaze pilots but worthy opponents.

Circle of life

- Played Xbox360 and PC version, and though PC version looks a bit better, they aren't very different.

- Command dial may be overwhelming for console (controller) users, but you get used to it quickly.

Fleeing

- Most impressed with AI, teammates as well as enemies. Team will often see enemies before you do. Suppressing enemies works very well, they sometimes even flee the scene. Rushing will end up in bad results.

- Morale matters too.

F*ck, this is good!

- As campaign progresses, tension rises, fights grow bigger with more vehicles. Reviewer still loves infantry action the most, cause you're in the middle of the action.

- It's hard, but it's good. Codemasters paid off.

Separate box

Codemasters made a lot of promises, but what did they achieve?

- Open world: yes and no. You can go anywhere, but objectives are clear and straightforward so there isn't really a point to do so.

- One shot one kill: 100% true.

- Not dumbed down for casual gamer: Absolutely true.

- War isn't man to man: True. Long distance combat, not bunny hopping CoD style play.

- Stuff breaks: not entirely true. Stuff can break, but they will remain obstacles, no matter what they're made of.

- Realistic guns: True. Windage and distance really matter.

- Lots of variation in vehicles: not entirely true. Yes, there are different vehicles, but ArmAII has significantly more.

======================================

I'm too tired to list what is not in OFP 2, but we all know that not a word is mentioned about it in this review. No mods/sdk, 4 square km multiplayer, close by pop ups, flat colors, no rain....etc

Money speaks...so it did for the Dutch Magazine! They'll have Codemasters advertisements running on their website www.gamekings.tv .

On a sidenote, the magazine gave Arma 2 88/100.

Please be forwarned those who visit the codemasters forums, there is a tendecy to deny all logical thinking...if one does and has some valid comments it is the ban hammer...

Edited by p75

Windage and distance really matter.

So bullets in OFPDR are affected by wind? That would be pretty awesome.

- Reviewer has never been in military service, but has shot some guns in the past. Says it's nothing like Killzone or CoD.

- He thinks OFPDR comes close to real warfare: it's dirty, tactical, deadly and split seconds can mean the difference between life and death. The game is hard, but satisfying.

Now now kids, show some respect, this review has obviously been written by an expert.

Please be forwarned those who visit the codemasters forums, there is a tendecy to deny all logical thinking...if one does and has some valid comments it is the ban hammer...

More proof that the game is not the "messiah" and that CM are using the OFP name to dupe people. At least with A2 I knew exactly what I was getting (even with the teething problems).

You just have to love the Bohemia forums where people are allowed to freely criticize OFP/A1/A2/BIS ad nauseam.

I may not agree with 90% of what they say but I support their right to say it.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

Is Viiiper an old school member? Don't know why I am thinking he is. It has been 4 or so years since I posted on these boards. Back then it was a lot more wild here with the debates and all.

I wonder if we'll actually get a balanced review from someone who's a fan of OFP/ArmA/ArmA II of OFPDR. I find that the majority of the current popular review websites/magazines enjoy "accessible" games, like OFPDR. If we were to get one from someone who enjoys the more "hardcore" games, like BIS' games, then perhaps we could see just how much OFPDR actually lives up to the OFP name. These reviewer websites and magazines usually don't seem to have ever played any games other than mainstream ones.

If that was ever to happen, my money would be on it not living up to it at all.

Have you noticed that any reviewer who posts anything negative about OPFDR is slated as unprofessional and a COD fanboy... I mean, they have practically denounced every single online and print preview of the game as absolute garbage. Its just... Amazing ignorance.

I don't see how the people of that forum are:

"Thats about 2km from end to end. Im happy with that. "

2km is very short. Unless the view distance is also short, both teams will spawn in view distance of each other. Amazing!

Nice, Helios is mighty active, appreciate it. I can't really put to scale the actual measurements in my mind so i can't make much of it. still, 2x2km is a good size

looking forward to playing them for myself

4km^2 might seem ok, but modern combat occurs at long ranges with manuver going well outside of the 2km range. Also, if 4km^2 sounds good, I would think 220km^2 would sound better?

Lets assume tank's effective range is 1 km. If the enemy forces start at the opposite ends of a 4 sq.km map then there is plenty of space for maneuvering.

But most modern tanks have an effective range > 1km. So what does this prove?

Edited by Clavicula_nox4817

New information about OFPDR. :D

A PC Games podcast (in German).

From minute 50:20 they talk about OFP: DR.

Some rough content summary:

- Right at the beginning one editor to the other: "The most important question: Is this still a Operation Flashpoint?" His answer: "If we had a camera here, one could see my tears - It is... not an Operation Flashpoint."

- It's not a military simulation but a normal tactical shooter

- It's quite solid, not so many bugs

- One can play the SP-campaign through smoothly, in the opinion of the editor "too smoothly"

- There are AI blackouts, they mention pathfinding while driving and sometimes AI enemies don't recognize the player

- Physics of the vehicles are "inappropriate" or "unsuitable" (an example: A vehicle drives over a stone, flys meters high, turns over, explodes, everyone's dead [eehm... Where do I know that from?? :eek: ])

- Combat situations are excellent and tenseful - one can be "pinned down" (supressing fire)

- A disadvantage (especially when you're under suppressing fire): Most of the missions have a time limit

- The editors speak, what the fans of OFP1 think: "You order a steak and receive Strogonoff" - they refer to what was announced (or expected) and what the game is now

- The order-menu is very simple - in the opinion of the editor too simple, while unnecessary commands like ordering artillery are too complex

- Other than that there are some things that are not well thought out with the order-menu. For example after have given an order, the menu doesn't close automatically, so if you want to move forwards and press the forward key, thereby you give a new order... [not soo bad in my opinion]

- The game looks good, the level of detail however (for example at the vehicles) doesn't overcome Arma 2

- Other than that the soldiers move like they "swallowed a besom" (rigid animations)

That's it, gentlemen. :) What we new for months, now slowly becomes oficial. :rolleyes:

- A disadvantage (especially when you're under suppressing fire): Most of the missions have a time limit

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! :eek:

So, wait there are already reviews out for the game? I thought the release date was like some time next month?

I don't know if they (PCG) talked about the test version (means: the version they will test at release) of about an earlier version of the game.

For the sake of comparison here are some images to demonstrate what 4 km² (2×2 km marked area in red), the size of DR's playable PVP area looks like compared to the achievable (though not standard) 16 km² playable area in Project Reality and Red Orchestra: Ostfront (4×4 km marked area in green) against the two available land masses in ArmA 2; Chernarus (not including the outlying 'infinite terrain') and Utes.

2k2m.th.jpg

2k1.th.jpg

The Chernarus image is set against the main airfield between Lopatino and Grishino for reference scale.