FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

The wording is a bit vague... "Striped area is the warning zone, where like you say you will be warned you are exiting the play area but won't be punished."

So what happens when you pass beyond the striped area? Will you then be punished or will you be allowed to carry on your merry way...

And ok, you can use the whole map in co-op, but just not areas of it that are more than 175m from the rest of your team. (And how does that work, 175m from the average center, the team leader or the furthest player?)

175m? Jesus, that's like rock-throwing distance. How are you supposed to divide into fireteams? You can't. There is absolutely no tactical movement allowed with that kind of restriction. The only possible thing you can do is go forward, no flank, no hook, nothing.

175m? Jesus, that's like rock-throwing distance. How are you supposed to divide into fireteams? You can't. There is absolutely no tactical movement allowed with that kind of restriction. The only possible thing you can do is go forward, no flank, no hook, nothing.

How do you want to divide into fireteams with 4 people in the first place? :(

You're limited to a 1.5 km*1.5 km square of land or any 2.25 sqkm rectangle thereof (ignoring the shaded area where you get annoying messages about leaving the combat zone) for PVP then? That's 1% of the island.

That sounds extremely lame. What sort of ranges do they think tank combat and aircraft standoff attacks take place at? 200m?

Even Red Orchestra manages PVP in 16 sqkm maps and that's on an ancient engine.

Edited by da12thMonkey

Now they have pushed the demo back after the release of the game and it will be pc only for the demo.

This decision was apperntly to ensure that the full game gets 100% focus and attention before it’s released.

That to me smells like they are having problems and need to fix them urgently before release as much as possible and id'e be worried if i had ordered it. Especially with announcements in the last few days that things like vehicle entering animations gone, limited mp maps etc being announced lately. It's the icing on the cake for me.

Alot of the fan boys reckon its a good descision that they done this because it ensures them the game will be better on release *cough*

Edited by vasmkd

How do you want to divide into fireteams with 4 people in the first place? :(

True...

I guess I just don't see any point to this game. I'm not a big multiplayer guy, but even Doom let you run as far as you wanted from the other guy.

OFP/ArmA had an even better system than tethering for ensuring co-op play - if you go Rambo on your team mates, you will get shot very very quickly...

That to me smells like they are having problems and need to fix them urgently before release as much as possible and id'e be worried if i had ordered it. Especially with announcements in the last few days that things like vehicle entering animations gone, limited mp maps etc being announced lately. It's the icing on the cake for me.

Agreed, and losing things like the vehicle anims even though all the work for them was supposedly done sounds like they ran up against some engine problem that they couldn't fix.

BIS' engine may be ancient, but at least it wasn't initially designed for car racing games :p

well to be fair RV engine also have those limitations, but then all BI said is "we will try to add A and B and C into the game, but if it doesnt work we wont make it so get your fingers cross"

CM however just say that it will have A and B and C but it turns out there is no A B C in the final product

Now they have pushed the demo back after the release of the game and it will be pc only for the demo.

This decision was apperntly to ensure that the full game gets 100% focus and attention before it’s released.

Alot of the fan boys reckon its a good descision that they done this because it ensures them the game will be better on release *cough*

No surprise here really. I remember reading in certain interviews that there would be no pre-launch demo, which understandably made some forumites puzzled, but all questions about that were either unanswered or locked. Whats strange is that CM is saying that the game is "100% finished" yet say that they need more time to "polish the product" :confused:

A lot of late surprises here and I can't say that any of them are really joy-worthy except for their most ardent fans.

"Polish the product" means not releasing it in the same state ArmA2 was released in. Polish is good.

"Polish the product" means not releasing it in the same state ArmA2 was released in. Polish is good.

Well thats if they are to be taken at their word. It seems disingenuous to have known about the lack of a pre-launch demo for some time and only reveal it at the time-slot it was generally expected to be released. Add the many other 12th hour surprises ie. tethering, MP map constraints, and it smells more of a "covering up" than a "finishing up". Their main programmers are apparently already on vacation as the game is apparently finished so I'm not sure how that all adds up.

Edited by froggyluv

well to be fair RV engine also have those limitations, but then all BI said is "we will try to add A and B and C into the game, but if it doesnt work we wont make it so get your fingers cross"

CM however just say that it will have A and B and C but it turns out there is no A B C in the final product

If BIS did that, they'd be worse than the Devil. If Codemasters does it, it's 'good practice'

And this 4km^2 box doesn't inspire much faith in me. As I probably have pointed out before, if the game is in anyway realistic as it claims, people will stick together of their own accord.

Oh yeah, lulzy thread of the week.

Edited by echo1

Seems that Codemasters marketing starts showing some serious flaws...making alot of promises and at the very last moment break a bunch of them...

Roll on Operation Arrowhead!

The more one sees and reads (just started at the Codemasters forum), the more it is clear that this won't come near the BIS delivered products...

The hype was big, but the letdown even alot bigger....poor customers....

And no demo before launch while the review code is already at the game magazines (aka being gold), means no good news at all, seems like it will sell of the fact that on the console market they don't have any serious competition....maybe a hole BIS can fill properly....

I can only laugh....this is not the way to run a business....and my guess is that they got nervous seeing all the critical feedback on their latest videos....a demo on that level would surely kill the sell rate....

Edited by p75

LOL, Datter. You're making me want to play 'whack-a-troll'. Look at your posts man, you have some serious anger/OT issues.

That MP video makes me what to acquire ADHD, or drink a lot of coffee to be able to follow it. The hype machine is just about stripped down of all it's armor. The truth will fall like a hammer (good or bad, we'll have to see).

is there a DEMO out yet for OFPDR? The Codemasters forum is blocked at work, luckily not the BIS one...yet :)

Read the last page - the demo won't be out till after the game release.

is there a DEMO out yet for OFPDR? The Codemasters forum is blocked at work, luckily not the BIS one...yet :)

Nope, and it won't be coming before release.....because.....they still need to work on the game....which me thinks is a plain lie as the product is shipped the 6th of October, meaning that the production runs already should have started....anyhow....the demo will be pc only.....but alot of the hype is down the water.....no demo on the console version....while promised.....me thinks Codemasters didn't like the reviews of their console marketing videos.....

Only thing left for them is the fact that on the console market they offer something new for that platform.....

LOL, Datter. You're making me want to play 'whack-a-troll'. Look at your posts man, you have some serious anger/OT issues.

That MP video makes me what to acquire ADHD, or drink a lot of coffee to be able to follow it. The hype machine is just about stripped down of all it's armor. The truth will fall like a hammer (good or bad, we'll have to see).

Since you know me so very well, can we hug or something?

"Do you think game critics will enjoy this hyperrealistic fps??!"

Please, don't make me laugh. I can't read a single thread on the Codemasters forum without facepalming.

Yes the critics will enjoy Dragon Rising because it's a fucking mainstream game.

It could have been Battlefield 3.

Please, don't make me laugh. I can't read a single thread on the Codemasters forum without facepalming.

Yes the critics will enjoy Dragon Rising because it's a fucking mainstream game.

Yes, it is heading that way with a tad (read tad) of pretended realism thrown in.....

Can't believe the no demo reason, officially reads: polishing of the pc version (expect a patch on launch date). But the console version is already done! So, why don't they release a demo then? It makes no sense, everyone on that forum is falling from their chairs....one surprise after another....

As much as I'd like to argue this point with exceptions.. Exceptions to the rule is all they are, few and far between. 'Accessible' is the new, politically correct double speak for 'dumbed down'. :(

Edited by Scrub

I find something quite interesting in today's gaming market. I'll use my brother as an example, who's younger than me.

I, of course, play ArmA II. A lot. One day, he and his friends come and ask me "what game is that?" I fill them in on all of the specifics and after that, they ask "what scores did it get?" to which I replied "generally above 65%". You know what their response was? "That's shit. No way I'm touching that game."

In a nutshell, I can see my brother and his friends enjoying OFPDR more than ArmA II. And that's not a good thing...

There's some stupid thread on the CM forums on what score people think the game will get.

"the critics will probably enjoy it because it is going to be the first realistic, shooter for systems/pc in awhile!"

This is awarded the "Most biased comment of the year".

Just for fun go back in time via youtube and watch the early interviews and renders of what was to be OFP: DR.

Lotsa talk of "Simulation"; "Scale"; "Editor"; "Modding abilities"; "Unrivaled AI"; "Realism"...

...what the hell happened there. What ever happened to Clive Lindrop anyways -he was their lead AI designer and left mid construction?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plw8jvvJJuU

Don't get me started on ratings...

I thought the whole point of 100 points scale was that 0 = crap, 50 = average and 100 = perfect masterpiece.

So how comes every game is getting 90 to 100 and anything bellow is considered a piece of junk?

What ever happened to Clive Lindrop anyways -he was their lead AI designer and left mid construction?

Supposedly he got fed up with the direction the game was heading (having probably signed NDA he didn't disclose any details and nor did CM).

If that rumor is truth I believe I owe him an apology for whatever bad things I said about him.

Edited by Deadfast

Remember there was a person a few months ago who claimed he knew someone on the CM dev team, and that said person said that the game was underfunded, rushed and had no chance of being anywhere near as good as the original OFP? I thought it was probably some troll, but when you combine it with the fact that the lead designer jumped ship, who knows?