FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

While I agree that JIP is an extremely good feature, you must remember that the lack of it wasn't much of a problem with the original OFP. You'd just look up a server that was just setting up, or better yet do something productive while having OFPLauncher or similar watch your favourite server for mission change.

To quote what has been said many times. OFP was 2001. This is 2009. :butbut:

hi,

Don't worry too much about this game. I'm not against it at all and I'll probably buy it but when you read ofp2 CM forums you notice a lot of agressivity. Everybody is bashing everybody. You have a different opinion or critic? You are COD/ArmA evil fanboy. There's a good review the jornalist is a god, there's a bad review (about low-poly) the jornalist is a crap. Community is very young and ofp2 clearly target other market than ArmA2.

I posted on a topic about "how are your PC's spec" on CM forums (M2N-SLI-Delux sAM2, AMD Atlhon 7850 Dual-Core 2.81GHz, 2Go DDR-2 PC667, GeForce 9600 GT 512Mo PCIE, 320Go SATA-II 16Mo 3.5 P, DVD SATA 20X OEM, windowsXP pro 32bits sp3 version 2002) and I said, with some tweaks, I'm able to run ArmA2 on very hight with 35-60fps, and then a guy said me that he wanted screens, I posted the screens just to show that ArmA2 can run smoothy if you take time to tweak it. For him that was unbelievable and the mods direcly deleted my posts to be sure that noone can see that you can run ArmA2 with such specs.

When you really have a look there's something like 10-15 real fans of the game, that's those 10-15 guys who post on every topics and keep the forum alive. Most of the so called "community" will play the SP, a bit MP and the game will catch the dust.

That's sad but with the poor MP, no JIP, no dedicated servers, the agressive community, the lack of moding possibilities (hehe mission editor is a moding tool :o), the low-poly models, the game lifetime will be max 6 mounths and maybe less because of MW2 or some others "big" games. And guess what, ofp/ArmAII will be still played hehe.

I'll probably buy the game because I like video games and I think you can have fun with it. but I don't see it as a treat at all for ofp/ArmA. For me it's just arcade shooter in an open world. I'm more worried about the fact that CM took the name to appeal more customers and make a game without flavor.

cya.

Nikiller.

Edited by Nikiller

I couldn't agree more Zipper - just because OFP didn't have JIP back than makes no justice not having it now.

By the same exact logic the physics in ARMA 2 that everybody loves so much are not a problem either :p

If DR is serious about the mission the lack of JIP will be a major issue.

Edited by Deadfast

Deadfast, I believe your statement is exactly what the comment by Zipper5 is meant to make. I believe you're saying the same things (I hope I understand you right).

My major gripe is 'where is this freedom to do anything you wanted to?'

You can go anywhere, but you better not send a teammate back to grab ammo for the team (if that's even possible?) or he'll die being choked by a tether.

You can battle it out (if 8 people constitute a battle) anywhere on the map in the official missions, but better not leave the AO for any reason, you will die for desertion.

You can customize a mission, and "potentially" (dev's words) fight across the whole open map... But it sounds like you'll die of boredom because of the limited unit counts. Have to see if they allow unit spawining and garbage cleanup scripting like in Arma 1, or even OFP CamCreate stuff.

Basically, sounds like a lot of dieing from NOT getting shot, NOT being free in the fullest sense of the word. Glass walls anyone?

Deadfast, I believe your statement is exactly what the comment by Zipper5 is meant to make. I believe you're saying the same things (I hope I understand you right).

Heh, he was agreeing with what I said. He just used a confusing double negative. I must admit, I thought he was disagreeing with me when I first read it. :p

Yes, I am, I've edited the post to make sure it can't be taken the other way around :)

While I agree that JIP is an extremely good feature, you must remember that the lack of it wasn't much of a problem with the original OFP. You'd just look up a server that was just setting up, or better yet do something productive while having OFPLauncher or similar watch your favourite server for mission change.

Are you kidding? It was a huge problem. Everytime someone dropped out their were either SOL and you were down a man while you played the scenario to completion, or you had to restart everyone and try again. It was something we put up with because the game was so great and unique, not something that was 'no problem'.

Are you kidding? It was a huge problem. Everytime someone dropped out their were either SOL and you were down a man while you played the scenario to completion, or you had to restart everyone and try again. It was something we put up with because the game was so great and unique, not something that was 'no problem'.

+1. Oh so many times somebody dropped and a restart was needed.

+1. Oh so many times somebody dropped and a restart was needed.

+2. Living without JIP would be like switching back to dialup :S

I posted on a topic about "how are your PC's spec" on CM forums (M2N-SLI-Delux sAM2, AMD Atlhon 7850 Dual-Core 2.81GHz, 2Go DDR-2 PC667, GeForce 9600 GT 512Mo PCIE, 320Go SATA-II 16Mo 3.5 P, DVD SATA 20X OEM, windowsXP pro 32bits sp3 version 2002) and I said, with some tweaks, I'm able to run ArmA2 on very hight with 35-60fps, and then a guy said me that he wanted screens, I posted the screens just to show that ArmA2 can run smoothy if you take time to tweak it. For him that was unbelievable and the mods direcly deleted my posts to be sure that noone can see that you can run ArmA2 with such specs.

F--king hell... Some of the mods over there are complete and utter hypocrites who don't even keep a veneer of objectivity... You should have reposted your screenshots :p

The irony is, of course, in trying to keep everything pro-DR, they probably just end up stoking more anti-DR sentiment amongst the potential fanbase.

Just to clarify, lack of JIP is not a problem for me if we talk about campaign coop, because I aim to play it with friends over virtual LAN (Leaf networks) anyway.

Playing (stock/user-made) coop/PvP missions over net is another thing, as Max Power, MehMan and DM pointed out.

This question comes to mind: does PvP MP have join in progress?

Another thing: lean. Since, to my knowledge, there are no big towns in DR, I can live without it, although it's a standard feature in tactical shooters.

I've said it a few times already, I will decide whether to buy DR or not based on the demo (if there will be one).

Well...videos with game play look nice i must say. yes it's arcadish i know, but not that much as on first look...gameplay is smooth and seems entertaining.

Maybe Codemasters will inprove game with patches who knows...DR can turn out to be o.k. :D

Edited by Radnik

Another thing: lean. Since, to my knowledge, there are no big towns in DR, I can live without it, although it's a standard feature in tactical shooters.

I really hope they reconsider this. I know some people think of lean as an exploit, but I can't tell you how many times when pinned down behind a tree, house, fence whatever from multiple attackers, that little 'peak out' is essential in knowing your safe angles. Who in their right mind is going to side step out when they've already got a bead on your location.

I still see people making claims that OFP2 will be like BF2. This is clearly absolute bullshit. Most likely it will fall far short of being a worthy sequel to OFP (just as ArmA1 & 2 did), but it bears no real similarities to BF2.

And no, I'm not an OFP2 fanboy. OFP2 looks worse and worse with every bit of info the buffoons at CM release.

I still see people making claims that OFP2 will be like BF2. This is clearly absolute bullshit.

You're right, BF2 is better, it has jets and is moddable! :D :p

Most likely it will fall far short of being a worthy sequel to OFP (just as ArmA1 & 2 did)

ArmA2 is a worthy sequel.

I still see people making claims that OFP2 will be like BF2. This is clearly absolute bullshit. Most likely it will fall far short of being a worthy sequel to OFP (just as ArmA1 & 2 did), but it bears no real similarities to BF2.

And no, I'm not an OFP2 fanboy. OFP2 looks worse and worse with every bit of info the buffoons at CM release.

Actually it does, BF2's squad comirose is the same idea they are using in OFP2, but that is not necessarily a bad thing given its simple to use.

Vehicles are a kind of reference people will use between one game and another, in this case DR and BF2 share much in common between US and China's vehicles.

Then you have the way the gun is held which is closer to battlefield bad company. Those are the only things I would say they have in common however, unless of course DR has jump in which case there is another (though I'd have to wonder what they were thinking if there is.)

I can see where alot of people get these "looks just like" ideas but lets face it, most modern warfare games do look aLOT alike these days, mostly because of the way they are rendered and the way the characters behave along with the controls.

But if people feel it necessary to compare the two then I can honestly say I would hope DR will be more like Project Reality rather then BF2.

You're right, BF2 is better, it has jets and is moddable!

Better? If you actually read my post, you would notice that I said nothing about either being better. They are simply different genres.

Vehicles are a kind of reference people will use between one game and another, in this case DR and BF2 share much in common between US and China's vehicles.

Surely the gameplay and mechanics count for more than the units chosen to be in the game? Does every WW2 game play the same?

hi,

F--king hell... Some of the mods over there are complete and utter hypocrites who don't even keep a veneer of objectivity... You should have reposted your screenshots :p

Yea but I didn't wanted to create more agressivity than there already is (ArmA fanboy, troll...) and it's mostly because I didn't wanted to be banned :)

The irony is, of course, in trying to keep everything pro-DR, they probably just end up stoking more anti-DR sentiment amongst the potential fanbase.

Exactly, the fact that every other games are crappy but ofp2 is just a proof of the community subjectivity and a lack of open mind. For a "mature" fanbase it's a bit disapointing. If you aren't thinking ofp2 you're stupid.

The most problematic stuff IMO, is the community agressivity. Newcomers bitch on veteran, veteran on veteran, veteran on newcomers and so on.

It just create a bad atmospher. Read this froum and you don't want to come back. Then I found a solution with a website where there's ONLY the news so, you don't have to read every little bitching to find what you want.

www.flashpointgame.com

cya.

Nikiller.

Edited by Nikiller

Better? If you actually read my post, you would notice that I said nothing about either being better. They are simply different genres.

Surely the gameplay and mechanics count for more than the units chosen to be in the game? Does every WW2 game play the same?

Surely, and yes I believe they do but I do not speak for the populous either, as far as I know and am pretty much perceiving the answer in their case is 'no'.

I really hope they reconsider this. I know some people think of lean as an exploit, but I can't tell you how many times when pinned down behind a tree, house, fence whatever from multiple attackers, that little 'peak out' is essential in knowing your safe angles. Who in their right mind is going to side step out when they've already got a bead on your location.

Well, I agree with You, froggyluv. Leaning is very important feature, and in my eyes it isn't an exploit at all.

I couldn't play, for example, Raven shield (oh, ArmA too ;)), if it wasn't in, because it saved my butt countless times.:D

I don't wanna go into discussion if leaning in games is portrayed in realistic manner (it isn't IMO, it's just a substitute for RL "peaking", or whatever it's called).

I don't know why CM left it out, maybe because Dragon Rising (on PC) is, in essence, (again IMO) a console port?

How many console shooters have leaning? I don't play on consoles, so I wouldn't know, but AFAIK they all have some kind of "cover system" implemented,

and I sure hope CM reconsiders putting some kind of leaning in DR.

I know it's pretty pointless to gripe about a game that I didn't even play, but if it lacks a feature that's commonly inplemented in today's shooters, I think it has to be addressed.

To sum this up, and I'm in no way defending CM, if leaning isn't in the game, but gameplay turns out to be good, there's no damage done, I'll play it (after I've tried the demo).

I don’t think its anything to do with hypocrisy, anything ARMAII related positive or negative is automatically deleted or moved the ARMAII topic, this due to he negativity from BIS. I know Helios and Viiiper who have often read this topic have made this very clear.

Like i already pointed out in earlier posts that the ARMAII topic was a very popular one until CM removed it from the DR offtopic after the constant negativity from BIS.

hi,

Exactly, the fact that every other games are crappy but ofp2 is just a proof of the community subjectivity and a lack of open mind.

Considering there has been a negative attitude towards DR before the first gameplay footage came out I would say that a very hypocritical comment. Like I said it wasn’t always like this, it came about due to BIS attitude, and because of it less will know about ARMAII.

I don’t think its anything to do with hypocrisy, anything ARMAII related positive or negative is automatically deleted or moved the ARMAII topic, this due to he negativity from BIS. I know Helios and Viiiper who have often read this topic have made this very clear.

Like i already pointed out in earlier posts that the ARMAII topic was a very popular one until CM removed it from the DR offtopic after the constant negativity from BIS.

Incorrect. Take for example the infamous 'douchebag' rant. It was up for over a day, and the mods supported the anti-ArmA stuff. It was only when people pointed out how the on-duty mod was being a hypocrite that the thread was deleted.

Incorrect. Take for example the infamous 'douchebag' rant. It was up for over a day, and the mods supported the anti-ArmA stuff. It was only when people pointed out how the on-duty mod was being a hypocrite that the thread was deleted.

I dont see how it not being deleted right away is supporting anything anti-arma? Half the stuff on the forum takes a day to delete, the place is overrun with COD kiddies and trolls and i know first hand the mods are paying very little attention between now and the game coming out.

I myself had someone miss-quote me in a poll topic and reported it, nothing happened, unless the mods are anit-ricbar too i just think that the way things are now. Theres been complaints about many things not being locked so im sorry i dont think theres some great make ARMAII look bad conspiracy there.

I dont see how it not being deleted right away is supporting anything anti-arma? Half the stuff on the forum takes a day to delete, the place is overrun with COD kiddies and trolls and i know first hand the mods are paying very little attention between now and the game coming out.

There was a mod (I think it was Viiiper) who was actually taking part in the discussion and backing up the OP's absolutely retarded post, despite the fact most people saw the OP for the idiot he was, and counter-argued against people who disagreed with him. It was only when people started pointing out how much of a hypocrite he was (he had made arguments about ArmA fanboys that were equally applicable to what he was saying) that he, or one of the other mods, deleted the thread.

So, given all that you have said; how come he didn't have enough time to delete the thread, but had more than enough time to sustain his discussion in the thread on the anti-ArmA side?

Edited by echo1

The movement looks almost exactly the same as in BF2, that is player movement and gun movement, when you hit somebody you get the same white crosses AROUND your crosshairs as you get in BF2, the commandrose is the exact same thing as in BF2...

That's 3 similarities right there.

And yes, ArmA 2 ís a worthy successor to OPF.

I get hundred times more satisfaction from playing ArmA 2 then i had from playing ArmA 1, imo the campaign is right up there with OPF: CWC, though ofcourse the pacing is very different.

The way story is told is top-notch though, they just need to iron out a few bugs because these missions are a lot more complex then OPF missions ever were.